November 25, 2011 • Cavalier goalkeeper Chantel Jones was featured in today's Richmond Times-Dispatch, in advance of Virginia's NCAA quarterfinal game at Florida State today.
November 21, 2011 • Former Virginia men's soccer head coach Bruce Arena became the first coach to win three Major League Soccer championships Sunday when his LA Galaxy side captured a 1-0 win over the Houston Dynamo to win the MLS Cup. Former Cavalier Adam Cristman (2003-06) earned his first MLS championship and played 57 minutes in the match. Get a full recap of the game here.
November 20, 2011 • Former Cavalier baseball player Danny Hultzen was named to the Arizona Fall League's Top Prospect Teams. View the full team here.
November 15, 2011 • Virginia women's cross country is ranked 19th in the final national poll before the 2011 NCAA Championships. Check out the full poll here.
November 14, 2011 • Former Virginia rowing standout Kerry (Maher) Shaffer won the women's single finals of the Canadian RBC Rowing National Championships on Sunday. Check out the Welland Tribune's article on Shaffer here.
November 10, 2011
• The buzz continues to surround Virginia head coach Joanne Boyle as the Cavaliers are one day away from opening the 2011-12 season. ESPN.com features Boyle in a piece called 'New Coaches Seek Success In First Seasons', while the Charlottesville Daily Progress writes 'New UVa Coach Takes Pride In Giving Back'.
November 9, 2011
• VirginiaSportsTV.com goes behind-the-scenes at the women's basketball poster shoot.
• The Cavalier Daily previews the 2011-12 Virginia women's basketball season. Read the article here.
• The Atlantic Coast Conference announced this week that the new Greensboro Aquatic Center has been selected as the site for the 2013, 2014 and 2016 Men's and Women's Swimming & Diving Championships.
November 8, 2011 • The Virginia men's basketball team is featured on the Atlantic Coast Conference's 12 Days of ACC Men's Basketball today. Click here to take a look at the 2011-12 Cavaliers.
November 7, 2011
• Whitey Reid of the Charlottesville Daily Progress recently wrote an article on the three freshmen members of the 2011-12 Virginia men's basketball team. Click here to read the story.
• Former Virginia swimmer Matt McLean, a current member of the United States national team, will battle against a squad of European swimmers at the 2011 Mutual of Omaha Duel in the Pool Dec. 16-17. The competition will take place at the Georgia Tech Aquatic Center in Atlanta and will be broadcast on NBC. Check out the official release on the event from USA Swimming.
• Virginia field hockey players Phoebe Willis and Sallie Seiy participated in the ACC's Community Connections program last week at the ACC Championhip in College Park, Md. Check out the story from the ACC.
November 4, 2011 • Jeff White of VirginiaSports.com wrote an article recently on sophomore forward Akil Mitchell of the Virginia men's basketball team. Click here to read Jeff's article.
• Virginia women's basketball is featured today in the '12 Days of ACC Basketball'. Take a virtual look at the 2011-12 Cavaliers here.
November 3, 2011 • Virginia head women's basketball coach Joanne Boyle appeared on WINA 1070 AM's 'Best Seat in the House' with Jay James. Listen to the segment here.
• Former Virginia men's basketball guard Mustapha Farrakhan was selected in the first round of the 2011 NBA Development League Draft on Thursday, Nov. 3. The Bakersfield Jam selected Farrakhan with the 13th pick in the first round of the draft. Read about Farrakhan's selection by clicking here and check out the 2011 NBA Development League Draft here.
• Virginia released its women's lacrosse 2012 schedule this week. Click here to view the schedule.
• Whitey Reid of the Charlottesville Daily Progress recently wrote an article on Virginia men's basketball players KT Harrell and Akil Mitchell. Click here to read the article.
November 2, 2011 • UVa women's cross country is ranked 21st by the USTFCCCA in the latest national poll and second in the Southeast region, while the men are ranked eighth in the region. Check out the national poll here and the regional polls here. • The Cavaliers' wrestling team is ranked 22nd in the preseason NWCA/USA Today Coaches Poll. You can see the full poll here.
November 1, 2011 • A pretty nifty feature at WNBA.com: Offseason 2011-12 Overseas Rosters. Virginia alums Monica Wright and DeMya Walker can both be found in Turkey.
• Cavalier Jarmere Jenkins, along with Virginia alumni Somdev Devvarman, Sanam Singh and Michael Shabaz are all in action Tuesday at the Virginia National Bank Men's Pro Championship at the Boar's Head. Click here for the schedule. • Here is Row2k.com's coverage of last Sunday's Princeton Chase, where the Virginia rowing team finished first.
October 31, 2011 • Check out Roger Gonzalez's article on the UVa rowing team in Saturday's Daily Progress here.
October 30, 2011 • Here are two recent women's basketball video features done by VirginiaSportsTV.com: China Crosby and Simone Egwu.
October 27, 2011 • Top Drawer Soccer has unveiled its top 100 list of freshmen in men's soccer this year. UVa's Spencer LaCivita was ranked No. 7, while Ryan Zinkhan was ranked No. 34. Get the full list here.
October 26, 2011 • VirginiaSports.com's Jeff White writes that women's basketball's Ataira Franklin is "Poised To Take The Next Step."
• The Cavalier Daily covered Virginia rowing's successful performance at the Head of the Charles last weekend in today's paper. Check out Ian Rappaport's article here. • Former UVa infielder Greg Miclat is coming off a big year in double-A in which he stole 50 bases – in just 53 attempts. Read about his prospects to progress in the Orioles' system here.
October 24, 2011 • Many national papers have covered Virginia rowing's win in the championship eights at the 47th annual Head of the Charles in Boston. You can check out The Washington Post's article here, The Boston Globe's here and the Boston Herald's story here.
October 23, 2011 • David Teel of the Newport News Daily Press put together a few notes from the Atlantic Coast Conference's recent men's basketball media event in Charlotte, N.C., starting with a note on Virginia head coach Tony Bennett. Read what David Teel had to say by clicking here.
October 21, 2011 • Claire Crippen remembers her older brother, the late Fran Crippen, on today's episode of The Morning Swim Show. Both Claire ('11) and Fran ('06) swam at Virginia and this Sunday, Oct. 23, marks the one-year anniversary of Fran's untimely death. ESPN.com also has this story on the progress of running elite open water events more professionally and responsibly.
October 20, 2011• Former Virginia swimmer Scot Robison claimed gold last night as a member of Team USA's 4x200-meter freestyle relay. The Americans touched in a winning time of 7:15.07. Robison was also part of the United States' 4x100-meter freestyle relay team that earned a silver medal over the weekend in Mexico. Virginia head coach Mark Bernardino is also serving as an assistant with the U.S. men at the event.
• Jeff White of VirginiaSports.com writes about UVa men's head basketball coach Tony Bennett and players Mike Scott and Sammy Zeglinski at the Atlantic Coast Conference Men's Operation Basketball event on Oct. 19 in Charlotte, N.C. Read Jeff's article by clicking here. • The Virginia men's basketball team was picked to finish fourth in the 2011-12 preseason poll of media representatives attending the Atlantic Coast Conference's Operation Basketball event on Oct. 19 and the Cavaliers' Mike Scott was one of six players selected to the 2011-12 Preseason All-Conference Team. Click here for additional information on the ACC's Men's Operation Basketball event.
• During ACC Basketball media day on Wednesday, Mike Scott and Sammy Zeglinski played a game of Teammate Trivia Challenge at ESPNU. Watch the segment here.
October 18, 2011 • Despite winning the Panorama Farms Invite last Friday, UVa women's cross country drops one spot to No. 17 in this week's USTFCCCA national poll. You can see the full poll here. • Great story on UVa men's soccer player Will Bates in the latest edition of C-Ville Weekly. You can read the full story here. • Virginia men's soccer is ranked No. 15 in the initial RPI for 2011. The full rankings are linked here.
October 17, 2011 • Virginia women's cross country moves up a position to first in the Southeast Region in the latest USTFCCCA regional polls, while the men's team is ranked seventh. Check out the full polls here.
• The Pan American Games began over the weekend and former Virginia swimmer Scot Robison claimed a silver medal anchoring the 4x100-meter freestyle relay. The U.S. team finished 0.97 behind gold medalist Brazil. Robison also finished fourth in the 100-meter freestyle. He will swim again Wednesday in Mexico.
October 15, 2011 • Field hockey players Katie Robinson and Maddie DeCerbo are featured in the ACC's Inside ACCess this week along with players from Duke and UNC. To read the profiles, click here.
• Jeff White of VirginiaSports.com recently wrote about the official start of preseason men's basketball practice at UVa. You can read his article by clicking here.
October 14, 2011 • Check out Jeff White's profile of cross country senior Anna Corrigan and her rise to success here. • The men's soccer team has battled through a rash of injuries to an 8-4-0 start. The team is profiled today here. • Virginia's wrestling team is ranked 17th in the preseason InterMat team tournament-strength rankings, while five Cavalier individuals are ranked at their respective weight classes. Get the full rankings here.
October 13, 2011 • Jeff White profiles sophomore guard KT Harrell of the UVa men's basketball team in an article for VirginiaSports.com that you can read by clicking here.
October 12, 2011 • Virginia men's head basketball coach Tony Bennett was interviewed by Jay James on the Best Seat in the House radio show on WINA-AM 1070 in Charlottesville on Oct. 11. You can listen to the interview by clicking here. • Virginia forward Will Bates was named to Soccer America's Men's Team of the Week. See the full team here.
• Former UVa pitcher Michael Schwimer is one of six finalists for the MiLB Reliever of the Year Award. You can vote here.
October 11, 2011 • Ken Tysiac previewed the 2011-12 Virginia men's basketball team at No. 30 in the Top 50 countdown by Sporting News. You can read his Virginia preview by clicking here.
October 10, 2011 • UVa Rowing operations assistant Josh Gautreau will compete for the United States at the 2011 Pan American Games on Lake Zapoltan in Guzman City, Mexico from Oct. 15-19.
October 9, 2011 • David Teel of the Daily Press in Newport News, Va., wrote recently about Virginia's upcoming 2011-12 men's basketball season and you can read his blog by clicking here.
• Jeff White recently wrote about Virginia's men's basketball media day and the upcoming 2011-12 season for VirginiaSports.com. You can read what he had to say by clicking here. • Former Virginia pitcher Danny Hultzen made his professional debut in the Arizona Fall League on Friday. Read all about his first appearance here.
October 6, 2011 • The Cavalier Daily looks at Virginia volleyball and the recent trend of recruiting in the state of California. Check out Charles Holtsford's article here. • Baseball America catches up with former Cavalier ace Danny Hultzen as he prepares for the Arizona Fall League. • Former Cavalier outfielder Jarrett Parker just finished his first full season of pro ball. He talks about the experience here.
October 5, 2011 • Head women's basketball coach Joanne Boyle was a guest on WINA 1070's 'Best Seat in the House' with Jay James on Tuesday evening. You can listen to an archive of the interview here. •The Charlottesville Daily Progress takes a look at former Virginia women's basketball Monica Wright, playing with the WNBA's Minnesota Lynx: "Former Cavalier Wright on the Brink of WNBA Championship With Lynx".
October 4, 2011 •The UVa women's cross country team stays steady at No. 16 in this week's USTFCCCA national poll, while the Cavalier men fall out of the top-30 for the first time this season. Check out the full polls here.
• The "Experience UVa Men's Basketball" spot featuring Cavaliers' head coach Tony Bennett can be viewed by clicking here.
October 3, 2011 • Brenna McGuire, a former Virginia women's basketball player, is on the cover of the October edition of Brides. Here is a picture.
• Virginia's women's cross country is ranked second in the Southeast Region by the USTFCCCA, while the men are sixth in this week's poll. Check out the full polls here. • Second year swimmer Rachel Naurath catches up with The Swimmers Circle in the latest edition of Swim Talk. You can watch the video chat here.
• Mike Scott made ESPN's Andy Katz's list of Preseason Wooden Award Watch List snubs.
October 1, 2011 • You can watch a Virginia men's basketball workout report video feature by clicking here.
September 30, 2011 • Eamonn Brennan of ESPN.com recently blogged about Virginia men's basketball player Mike Scott. You can read Brennan's blog by clicking here. • The Cavalier Daily looks at this weekend's volleyball matches at Maryland and Boston College. Click here to read Meghan Luff's article.
• VirginiaSports.com's Jeff White recently talked to UVa men's head basketball coach Tony Bennett about the Cavaliers' fall workouts. Click here to read Jeff's article.
• Golfweek's Ron Balicki takes a look at the UVa men's golf team's hot start to the season.
September 29, 2011 • Two five-game ticket mini-packages for the 2011-12 Virginia men's basketball season go on sale Monday, Oct. 3. A Select-A-Seat event is scheduled at John Paul Jones Arena on Saturday, Oct. 1 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Click here for more information. • 'What Can We Build Here?' - the new women's basketball spot promoting UVa head women's basketball coach Joanne Boyle and the 2011-12 Cavaliers. • The WNBA Finals are set to begin on Sunday, Oct. 2. Former Cavalier and 2010 consensus All-American Monica Wright and the Minnesota Lynx will have homecourt advantage during their run for the title. Game one begins at 8:30 p.m. on ESPN. • Good story in the Cavalier Daily on the Rezende twins for the UVa men's soccer team. • Five Virginia wrestlers are ranked in the preseason top 20 in their respective weight classes by Amateur Wrestling News: Matt Snyder (8th at 125), Nick Nelson (16th at 141), Derek Valenti (8th at 149), Jon Fausey (20th at 184) and Mike Salopek (20th at 197).
September 28, 2011 • The Loudon Times recently featured former UVa track star Stephanie Garcia about her experiences leading up to last month's IAAF World Championships in Daegu, South Korea. Check it out here.
September 27, 2011 • Virginia baseball coach Brian O'Connor was a guest on WINA Radio's "Best Seat in the House" program last night. For the full audio, click here. • UVa women's and men's cross country are ranked 16th and 19th in the nation heading into Friday's Paul Short Invitational in Bethlehem, Pa., where they will face a number of top-ranked teams. For the full rankings, click here.
September 23, 2011 • Former Virginia golfer David Partridge recently finished a sweep of the Virginia Senior AM and the Virginia Senior Open. Read about it here.
• Read about Kelli Pugh being one of the few female athletic trainers to oversee the care of a Division I program here.
September 22, 2011 • VirginiaSports.com's Jeff White recently checked in with women's basketball head coach Joanne Boyle. Read the article 'Boyle Hoping To Do More With Less' here.
• UVa men's soccer head coach George Gelnovatch will be a guest on WINA 1070-AM's Best Seat in the House program this evening. You can listen to the program online here. • Former Cavalier slugger Mark Reynolds was a thorn in the Red Sox' side last night, swatting a pair of home runs – his 35th and 36th long balls of the year. You can see the highlights of each homer here.
September 20, 2011
• Virginia's student newspaper The Cavalier Daily has a good article on today's paper on junior field hockey player Phoebe Willis and her family tradition at UVa. Check it out here.
• Virginia baseball's incoming recruiting class has been ranked No. 17 nationally by Collegiate Baseball newspaper. UVa's class features 10 freshmen and three junior college transfers.
September 19, 2011 • Former women's basketball All-American Monica Wright (2006-10) is still alive in the WNBA playoffs with the Minnesota Lynx. The Lynx and San Antonio Silver Stars play a decisive game three in the Western Conference semifinals Tuesday (Sept. 20) at 8 p.m. on ESPN2.
September 16, 2011 • Andy Katz and Eamonn Brennan talk on ESPN.com about their favorite sleeper teams heading into the 2011-12 men's college basketball season. One of those teams is Virginia. Hear what Katz and Brennan have to say and read what Dana O'Neil writes about the Cavaliers by clicking here.
September 15, 2011 • The Crippen Family has relaunched a website in memory of the late Fran Crippen, www.francrippen.org. There is also good information about the upcoming Phightin' for Fran event this Saturday at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, where the Philles take on the Cardinals at 7:05 p.m. The event will benefit the Fran Crippen Elevation Foundation.
September 14, 2011 • Will Bates is ranked No. 1 on the latest TopDrawerSoccer.com rankings of the Top 20 ACC players. Brian Ownby, Hunter Jumper and Brian Span also made the rankings. You can view the full list here.
• Former Cavalier Brandon Guyer is in the thick of a playoff race with the Tampa Bay Rays. He talked about his big-league experience this week when he returned to Baltimore. Read the story here.
September 13, 2011 • Four former Virginia baseball players remain alive in minor-league postseason play – Tyler Cannon (Kinston Indians), Robert Morey (Greensboro Grasshoppers), Jarrett Parker (San Jose Giants) and Cody Winiarski (Great Falls Voyagers). Keep tabs on all the former Cavaliers in the Pros here.
September 12, 2011
• Former Virginia swimmer Matt McLean, who completed his eligibility in 2011, is one of USA Swimming's "Five National Teamers to Watch."
September 11, 2011 • Former Virginia women's basketball All-American Monica Wright scored 15 points for the WNBA's Minnesota Lynx in its win vs. Phoenix today. The Lynx clinched the franchise's first Western Conference regular season title and secured homecourt advantage through the Western Conference Playoffs.
September 7, 2011 • Former Virginia women's soccer player Nikki Krzysik, who now plays for the Philadelphia Independence of WPS, was named to the league's Bext XI for 2011.
September 5, 2011 • Former Virginia tennis players Somdev Devvarman and Treat Huey have reached the doubles round of 16 at the US Open, where they play fourth-seeded Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi on Monday. The match is second of the day on Grandstand and you can watch it at USOpen.org or on the DirecTV US Open channels.
September 2, 2011 • UVa men's soccer coach George Gelnovatch details the freshman influence on his team in the Friday edition of the Richmond Times-Dispatch. You can read the story here. • Virginia baseball infielder Stephen Bruno has been named the No. 1 prospect from the Prospect Summer League by Baseball America. View the capsule on Bruno, as well as capsules on the No. 1-ranked prospects from each of the summer baseball leagues, here.
September 1, 2011 • The 2011-12 Virginia men's basketball team is one of five storylines to watch for the upcoming ACC season in a recent article by Jeff Eisenberg on Yahoo.com. You can read the article here.
August 31, 2011
• The Philadelphia Philles will pay tribute to the late Fran Crippen, a former Virginia swimmer, on Saturday, Sept. 17, when they take the field vs. the St. Louis Cardinals. The event will also benefit the Fran Crippen Elevation Foundation and Crippen's sister Maddy will be throwing out the first pitch. For more information you can visit the event page on Facebook.
• Virginia men's lacrosse player Mark Cockerton helped UVa in May win an NCAA title, arguably one of the toughest trophies to earn in field lacrosse. On Sunday he captured one of the most difficult trophies to win in box lacrosse as he helped Whitby to the Minto Cup. Read about it here.
• Former Cavalier baseball players Danny Hultzen (Peoria Javelinas), Phil Gosselin (Surprise Saguaros) and Matt Packer (Phoenix Desert Dogs) have been selected to play in the prestigious Arizona Fall League. You can find the full release here.
August 30, 2011 • The Virginia-Towson field hockey game on Friday has been moved up to a 1 p.m. start (instead of 3 p.m.) and will be played at Maryland in College Park, Md.
August 28, 2011 • Check out the feature of former Virginia tennis player Somdev Devvarman in the latest edition of Deuce Magazine, a publication of the ATP and WTA tours.
August 24, 2011 • The Virginia men's basketball team's 2011-12 schedule was released today by the Atlantic Coast Conference. • Spencer LaCivita of the men's soccer team was named one of Soccer America's Eight Freshmen of Influence for the 2011 season.
August 23, 2011 • Former Virginia women's basketball player Brenna McGuire (2003-07) was featured today in the USA Today. Erik Brady writes "McGuire used to shoot jumpers. Now she shoots covers. That's her on the front of April's Brides and last fall's Weight Watchers." Now a successful model, McGuire is second all-time in made three-point shots at UVa and was a starter since midway through her freshman year. Here's Brenna hosting Cavalier Sports Weekly in 2007 and a feature on her from Cavalier Sports Weekly from the same year. McGuire's grandfather is Al McGuire, the late Hall of Fame coach and TV basketball analyst.
August 22, 2011 • Virginia is ranked No. 11 in the Soccer America Men's Preseason Top 25 rankings. Get the full poll here.
August 18, 2011 • Virginia men's head basketball coach Tony Bennett recently discussed his experience as a court coach for USA Basketball at the 2011 USA Basketball Men's World University Games National Team training camp with Washington Post reporter Steve Yanda. Click here to read Yanda's blog on his conversation with Coach Bennett. • UVa men's head basketball coach Tony Bennett has been named to the list of the Summit League's Top 30 Distinguished Contributors during its first 30 years at the Division I level. The league was called the Mid-Continent Conference during Bennett's collegiate playing career at Wisconsin-Green Bay. He was twice named the conference's Player of the Year. You can read more about this honor for Tony Bennett here.
• UVa's men's soccer team is ranked 14th in the preseason Top Drawer Soccer rankings. You can see the full rankings here.
August 15, 2011 • The Daily Progress ran its season preview for the UVa men's soccer team today. Check it out here.
August 11, 2011 • Season tickets for the 2011-12 Virginia men's basketball season go on sale Friday, Aug. 12 at 9 a.m. Click here and here for information on UVa's men's basketball season tickets.
August 10, 2011 • VirginiaSportsTV.com, the online home of video for the Virginia athletics department, has been re-launched with a new interface and features that make it easier for Cavalier fans to watch on-demand video featuring UVa athletics. Click here to read about the re-designed VirginiaSportsTV.com and click here to visit VirginiaSportsTV.com. • The Virginia men's basketball team will participate in the inaugural Governor's Holiday Hoops Classic doubleheader at the Richmond Coliseum in December of 2012. The Cavaliers will play Old Dominion and Richmond will meet George Mason in the first Governor's Holiday Hoops Classic. Click here to read more about the Classic.
August 8, 2011 • The television network and time designations for the men's basketball 2011 Big Ten/ACC Challenge have been announced and Virginia's game with Michigan on Nov. 29 at John Paul Jones Arena will be televised by ESPN2. The game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. and is one of six games scheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 29 in the 2011 Challenge. Six more games are scheduled for Wednesday, Nov. 30. Click here to see the entire schedule.
August 4, 2011 • Rising sophomore pitchers Artie Lewicki and Austin Young of UVa combined for eight innings of one-run baseball Wednesday night for the Oneonta Outlaws as they captured the 2011 New York Collegiate Baseball League championship with a 5-1 win over the Webster Yankees. Lewicki started and allowed just an unearned run, four hits and three walks in seven innings. Young pitched a perfect eighth inning. Get the full box score here.
August 1, 2011 • Former Virginia pitcher Mike Ballard was called up to the big leagues for the first time Sunday with the Baltimore Orioles. He was available out of the bullpen at Yankee Stadium, but did not take the mound in the Orioles' 4-2 loss to the Yankees. His first taste of Major League Baseball was short lived, as he was optioned back to Double-A Bowie following the game. Ballard joins Brandon Guyer (Tampa Bay) as former Wahoos who have earned their first MLB call-up in 2011.
July 26, 2011• Rivals.com released its Top 100 college football players and UVa's Chase Minnifield was listed at No. 31 heading into the season. The No. 31 ranking is ironic since it was Chase's first number when he arrived on Grounds in 2007. Click here to view the page on Chase.
July 25, 2011• Keeping up with Cavaliers in Major League Soccer: former Virginia player and member of the 2009 NCAA Champion squad Chris Agorsor has signed with Real Salt Lake. Read about it here.
July 24, 2011• The Charlottesville Daily Progress' Jay Jenkins checks in with women's basketball sophomore Ataira Franklin in Sunday's edition: Cavs' Franklin Making Transition.
July 23, 2011• Former Virginia women's basketball All-American and National Player of the Year Dawn Staley had a busy Saturday in San Antonio at the 2011 WNBA All-Star Game. She was named one of the Top 15 WNBA Players of All Time and a member of the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame Class of 2012. • Rounding out Virginia's presence at the 2011 WNBA All-Star Game, Virginia alum Jenny Boucek was on the sidelines as an assistant coach for the Western Conference all-stars. Boucek is currently an assistant coach with the WNBA's Seattle Storm.
July 22, 2011• Former Virginia men's tennis player Somdev Devvarman has reached the quarterfinals of the Atlanta Tennis Championships, the first event of the US Open Series on the ATP Tour. He plays world No. 9 Mardy Fish tonight at 7 p.m. in a match that can be seen on ESPN2.
July 21, 2011• Virginia men's head basketball coach Tony Bennett is one of three coaches selected by USA Basketball to be court coaches for the 2011 USA Basketball Men's World University Games National Team training camp. The camp will be held July 29-Aug. 7 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo. Read about Coach Bennett's selection here and here.
July 20, 2011• VirginiaSports.com's Jeff White takes a look at how men's soccer players Will Bates, Brian Ownby and Brian 'Cobi' Span spent their summer.
July 18, 2011• Competing at Club Nationals in Indianapolis, Ind., rising senior Cara Linnenkohl overcame the bow of her single being crushed, regrouped and won gold in both the intermediate women's single sculls and senior women's double sculls. Read about her interesting day on the course here. • Chase Minnifield is ranked preseason by Athlon Sports as the No. 6 player in the ACC. You can see the entire list here. • Former UVa football player Ras-I Dowling is looking forward to his first season with the New England Patriots and with the current NFL situation has moved back to his home in Virginia. ESPN.com has an updated on Ras-I and you can read it here. • Former Cavalier baseball player Brandon Guyer has been named one of 30 Pert Plus MiLB Stars. Pert Plus needs help choosing which Triple-A stars have the brightest futures as the September call-up date approaches. You can vote here.
July 15, 2011• Former Virginia All-American, MLS Cup Champion, and two-time MLS All-Star Alecko Eskandarian joined the Philadelphia Union as the Youth Technical Director on June 15. After a month on the job, Eskandarian checks in with an update on the Union academy.
• The Charlottesville Daily Progress caught up with former Cavalier men's soccer All-American and member of the 2009 NCAA Championship team, Tony Tchani, now playing with Toronto FC. Read it here.
July 14, 2011• Here is a good read on the recently graduated Katya Bachrouche, a swimmer who is preparing for international competition for the nation of Lebanon.
• All three of the women's basketball assistant coaches have answered some of VirginiaSports.com's questions. Get to know Cory McNeill, Katie O'Connor and Kim Hairston.
July 13, 2011• TopDrawerSoccer.com takes a look at some of the men's soccer incoming freshmen throughout the ACC. Scroll down for Virginia.
• Virginia baseball coach Brian O'Connor was in Hampton on Tuesday to speak at a coaches' clinic. He talked with the Newport News Daily Press afterward.
July 12, 2011• Former Virginia women's soccer player Becky Sauerbrunn is expected to make her Women's World Cup debut in Wednesday's semifinal vs. France, according to this report from ESPN.
• Former Cavalier baseball player Greg Miclat was named the Eastern League Player of the Week following an outstanding week.
July 11, 2011• Swimmer Claire Crippen, one of several UVa student-athletes participating in the Coach for College program in Vietnam this summer, has posted her first two blog entries.
July 10, 2011• An article on Virginia men's basketball player Joe Harris by reporter Whitey Reid is featured in today's Charlottesville Daily Progress. You can read the article here.
July 8, 2011• Incoming first year swimmer Alison Haulsee was recently honored by the Richmond Times-Dispatch as the 2011 Girls Swimmer of the Year. Read the feature story here.
July 7, 2011• Former Cavalier baseball standout Dan Grovatt, now in Minor League Baseball with the West Virginia Power, was recently named to the South Atlantic League All-Star Team. Check out a profile on him here.
July 6, 2011• Former Cavalier volleyball player Sarah Kirkwood was recently hired as an assistant coach at New York University. Kirkwood was a two-time honorable mention All-American at Virginia and graduated in 2008 with a degree in cognitive science. Read the full release from NYU here.
• Ladyswish, a women's basketball blog, recaps incoming women's basketball freshman Sarah Imovbioh's performance with the Nigerian Under 19 team. Imovbioh participated in exhibition games in France after being named to the team.
July 5, 2011• Daily Press journalist David Teel recently wrote about the Coach for College initiative. The program teams up American ACC athletes and Vietnamese coaches to teach children basketball, soccer, volleyball and tennis. The curriculum also includes health, physics, morality and English. Virginia student-athletes Hadley Bell (field hockey), Eric Bolden (football), Claire Crippen (swimming), Betsy Nilan (rowing), Casey Ridge (swimming), Chelsea Shine (women's basketball) and Paige Terry (rowing) participated. Shine was interviewed for the article, which you can read here.
• The men's swimming and diving class of 2015 has been ranked No. 8 nationally by collegeswimming.com. You can view the entire list here and also check out the ACC's recruiting gradebook.
July 3, 2011• The Charlottesville Daily Progress featured a Q&A by reporter Whitey Reid with Virginia men's head basketball coach Tony Bennett today. You can read the Q&A here.
July 1, 2011• Virginia finished seventh in the final 2010-11 Learfield Sports Directors' Cup standings. It's the Cavaliers' third consecutive top-10 finish and their second best finish in the 18-year history of the Directors' Cup program. Read more about Virginia's finish in the 2010-11 Directors' Cup standings here.
• The 2011 men's soccer schedule has been released. Tickets go on sale July 5!
June 29, 2011• The women's swimming and diving class of 2015 has been ranked No. 5 nationally by collegeswimming.com. You can view the entire list here and also check out the ACC's recruiting gradebook.
• College Soccer News recently revealed its list of the "14 Greatest Rivalries in College Soccer" and checking in at No. 3 was Virginia vs. Maryland. The website had this to say about the rivalry: "The Terps and Cavaliers have probably faced each other more often in big game situations than any other two teams in the country. This is a rivalry match at its best with a spirited crowd of biased soccer fans always on hand. Consider this, since 1996 Maryland and Virginia have faced each other in the championship match of the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament six times. Both teams play an exciting attack oriented brand of soccer that is enjoyable to watch and that contributes to the electric atmosphere that surrounds this contest whether it is hosted by Virginia at Klöckner Stadium or Maryland at Ludwig Field."
June 28, 2011• Of the 17 former WNBA players currently serving as collegiate head coaches, two graduated from UVa: Wendy Palmer (1996, UNC Greensboro) and Dawn Staley (1992, South Carolina). View the entire list here.
June 24, 2011• A nine-year goal was achieved by former men's soccer All-American and National Player of the Year Alecko Eskandarian when he earned his degree from UVa. Now, he is a part of Major League Soccer on the Philadelphia Union technical staff.
June 23, 2011• Sophomore NCAA Champion Robby Andrews will begin his quest for a chance to compete for Team USA at the World Championships in Daegu, South Korea tonight, as he toes the line for the first round of the 800m at the USA Championships. The event will start at 6:50 p.m. ET, and will feature arguably the deepest 800m field of the millenium. Visit LetsRun.com, Bleacher Report, Competitor.com and RunnersWeb.com to read previews of the race.
June 22, 2011• Former UVa women's basketball All-American Dawn Staley is one of the 30 official nominees for the WNBA's top 15 players of all time. Vote for Dawn here beginning at noon tomorrow!
• Former women's lacrosse goalkeeper Ginger Miles was named the head coach at California. Miles won an NCAA title and two ACC Championships as a Cavalier. To read Cal's release, click here. • Tomorrow marks the start of the USA Jr and Sr National Outdoor Track and Field Championships. The top-three finishers in each of the events at the senior championships will advance to the World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, this summer. Robby Andrews is among the Americans vying for a spot in the 800m and the News Transcript did a piece on Andrews in today's paper. • The Asbury Park Press also did an article on Andrews; Andrews Ready for Tough Competition this Weekend in Eugene.
June 18, 2011• Former Cavalier tennis player Somdev Devvarman was featured this week on the ATP website as he was interviewed for its "The Last Time" segment. Devvarman will compete in singles and doubles next week at Wimbledon, while his former teammate Treat Huey will be in the doubles draw as well.
June 15, 2011• FloTrack tabbed Robby Andrews the winner of their Kick of the Week for June 15. Andrews turned on the jets down the homestretch of the 800m at last weekend's NCAA Championships to win the title in 1:44.71. That's just .01 seconds off from the NCAA meet record and .04 seconds better than UC Irvine's Charles Jock.
June 14, 2011• Vote for Robby Andrews on FloTrack's "Most Impressive Thing This Weekend?" poll. Andrews came from behind to win the NCAA title in the 800m with a personal-best time of 1:44.71. His time was .01 seconds off from the NCAA meet record and is the best in the USA right now. • You can also read David Teel's article on the race in the Daily Press by clicking here. He includes a link to the race video in the article.
June 13, 2011• Former UVa basketball player Rick Carlisle, now the head coach of the Dallas Mavericks, led his team to the 2010-11 NBA Championship. Read a story on his coaching methods and
Cavaliers Keep Rolling at JPJMen's Basketball1/15/18No. 3 Virginia remained atop the ACC standings with a 68-51 victory over NC State at John Paul Jones Arena on Sunday night.Singh Back in Familiar SurroundingsMen's Tennis1/12/18Former UVA tennis star Sanam Singh is back at his alma mater as the volunteer assistant coach in the men's program.Hayes Making Immediate ImpactWrestling1/10/18Redshirt freshman Louie Hayes is ranked No. 13 nationally at 125 pounds for Virginia, which competes at the Virginia Duals this weekend in Hampton.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Todd Morgan Named SE Region Women's COY
Track & Field, Cross Country | 11/17/2015
Virginia women's cross country coach Todd Morgan has been named the 2015 U.S. Track & Field and...
Virginia Adds Bleser, Favero, Gullickson With Signing Class
W. Tennis | 11/17/2015
Virginia added a trio of five-star athletes with the latest signing class as head coach Mark...
Jeff White: Early Test Exposes Cavaliers' Flaws
M. Basketball | 11/17/2015
After losing 73-68 Monday night to George Washington in Washington, D.C., sixth-ranked Virginia...
Virginia Downs Norfolk State, 86-50, in Home Opener
W. Basketball | 11/16/2015
Seven players finished the game in double figures including Faith Randolph who...
Virginia Rowing Announces 2016 Schedule
W. Rowing | 11/17/2015
Virginia rowing head coach Kevin Sauer announced the Cavaliers' 2015 schedule on Tuesday (Nov. 17...
Virginia Earns 35th Straight NCAA Tournament Berth
M. Soccer | 11/16/2015
Virginia (9-4-3) plays host to Rider (14-5-1) at 7 p.m. Thursday (Nov. 19) in a first-round match...
Farm Bureau Insurance Coach's Corner with Mike London...
Football | 11/17/2015
The weekly "Coach's Corner with Mike London" radio program, presented by Virginia Farm Bureau...
Kickoff for UVA-Virginia Tech Game to Be Announced Nov. 21
Football | 11/16/2015
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today the start time for Virginia's Nov. 28 home football...
- Online Stores