· Three student-athletes selected as ACC Scholar-Athletes— Mei Christensen, women's swimming; Jennifer Cromwell, rowing and Jerome Meyinsee, men's basketball
· 64 U.Va. student-athletes awarded ACC All-Academic honors
· Mei Christensen, women's swimming; Jenna Harris (women's swimming); and Jerome Meyinsse (men's basketball) were recipients of the Weaver-James-Corrigan Scholarship awarded by the ACC
· Whitney Neuhauser, women's golf, selected to receive the ACC's Weaver-James-Corrigan Honorary Award
· Lauren Elstein (field hockey) was the recipient of an NCAA Elite 88 Award
· 300 student-athletes attained at least a 3.0 GPA during the spring semester and 278 for the fall semester
· 107 student-athletes awarded All-America honors
· 162 student-athletes awarded All-ACC honors
· 20 of Virginia's 25 teams placed in the Top 25 of NCAA Championships
· Cavaliers finish third in Learfield Sports Directors' Cup—best finish in the 17-year history of the Cup
· Rowing and men's soccer won the National Championship
· Cavaliers win three individual NCAA titles—Robby Andrews, Indoor 800 meter; Michael Shabaz and Drew Courtney, men's tennis doubles; and rowing's Varsity Four
· Three National Coaches of the Year—Michele Madison, field hockey; George Gelnovatch, men's soccer and Kevin Sauer, rowing
· Three student-athletes honored as ACC Most Valuable Players in their sport—Mei Christensen, women's swimming; Ben Kohles, men's golf and Monica Wright, women's basketball
· Five Cavalier teams were ranked #1 in the country at some point in their season—baseball, men's lacrosse, rowing, men's soccer and men's tennis
· Virginia won seven ACC Championships—men's lacrosse, rowing, men's soccer, men's and women's swimming & diving, men's tennis and wrestling
· 21 of Virginia's 25 sports participated in postseason competition
· Virginia teams compiled a record of 295-137-9 for a winning percentage of .679
· January 11, 2010—Monica Wright becomes U.Va.'s all-time leading scorer, finishing her career as the ACC's third-leading career scorer with 2,540 points
· Men's tennis team became the second team in history to win three consecutive ITA National Team Indoor Championships
· March 6, 2010—Wrestling won its first ACC Championship since 1977
· Chris Henrich became the first two-time All-American in U.Va. wrestling history, earning his second All-America Honor
· March 2010—Women's swimming team places 9th and men's team 10th at the NCAA Championships
· Ken Clausen, men's lacrosse and Monica Wright, women's basketball named U.Va.'s top athletes
· Women's golf finishes 13th at the NCAA Championships
· Baseball team set new school records by winning 51 games, having nine players picked in the Major League draft and having seven Cavaliers named All-ACC and setting a new mark in fan attendance.
· For the first time in baseball program history, U.Va. ranked #1 nationally, won the ACC's Coastal Division and hosted an NCAA Super Regional
· ACC Freshman of the Year honors awarded to Robby Andrews (indoor and outdoor track), Will Bates (men's soccer), Kristine O'Brien (rowing), Steve Greer (football), Lauren Perdue (women's swimming), and Morgan Stith (women's soccer)
· All-America Freshman of the Year honors awarded to Brittany Altomare (women's golf), Steve Greer (football), and Lauren Perdue (women's swimming)
· Women's rowing achieved their first-ever No. 1 national ranking
· The 4x800m relay team of Lance Roller, Robby Andrews, Alex Bowman and Steve Finley concluded the year ranked No. 1 in the world
· Will Bates named Soccer America
· Steve Pritzker named National Assistant Coach of the Year in rowing
· Six named ACC Coach of the Year—Mark Bernardino, men's and women's swimming & diving; Brian Boland, men's tennis; Steve Garland, wrestling; Bowen Sargent, men's golf; Kevin Sauer, rowing and Brian O'Connor, baseball
· February 20, 2010—Head men's lacrosse coach Dom Starsia captured his 200th career win at U.Va.
· August 2009—5-meter tower added to the Aquatics and Fitness facility
· August 2009—$2.4 million video scoreboard installed in Scott Stadium
· Davenport Field interior renovation included the addition of visitor and umpire locker rooms, weight room, film room, expanded clubhouse, indoor batting facility, training and meeting rooms, hall of fame and storage areas
· November 22, 2009—Women's basketball set a new home game attendance record with 11,895 fans in its game against No. 6 Tennessee
· VAF raised $14,236,635 for the 2009 Annual Campaign
· June 30, 2010—Virginia Athletics Foundation endowment valued at $53.4 million
· The Virginia Athletics Foundation provided $11,0838,823 for athletics scholarship support
· May 3, 2010—Women's lacrosse player Yeardley Love found dead in her apartment
· Tony Bennett concludes first season as head men's basketball coach with a 15-16 record
· November 13, 2009—Head women's basketball coach Debbie Ryan earns her 700th-career victory
· December 7, 2009—Mike London name head football coach
· April 9, 2010—Football team's new uniforms and new 53-foot Cavalier Football semi truck, donated by Hilldrup Moving and Storage president and football alumnus Charles McDaniel ('86), unveiled to the public
Williams Excited About Opportunity at UVAGeneral Release10/22/17The next athletics director at UVA will be Carla Williams, who's been a student--athlete, coach and an administrator at the University of Georgia.'Hoos Take Step Back in One-Sided LossFootball10/21/17For Virginia, which lost 41-10 to visiting Boston College on Saturday, the next opportunity to become bowl-eligible comes next weekend at Pitt.Green Adjusting to New SurroundingsWrestling10/20/17A transfer from Boise State, which dropped its wrestling program last spring, Fred Green is a candidate to start at 157 pounds for Virginia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Todd Morgan Named SE Region Women's COY
Track & Field, Cross Country | 11/17/2015
Virginia women's cross country coach Todd Morgan has been named the 2015 U.S. Track & Field and...
Virginia Adds Bleser, Favero, Gullickson With Signing Class
W. Tennis | 11/17/2015
Virginia added a trio of five-star athletes with the latest signing class as head coach Mark...
Jeff White: Early Test Exposes Cavaliers' Flaws
M. Basketball | 11/17/2015
After losing 73-68 Monday night to George Washington in Washington, D.C., sixth-ranked Virginia...
Virginia Downs Norfolk State, 86-50, in Home Opener
W. Basketball | 11/16/2015
Seven players finished the game in double figures including Faith Randolph who...
Virginia Rowing Announces 2016 Schedule
W. Rowing | 11/17/2015
Virginia rowing head coach Kevin Sauer announced the Cavaliers' 2015 schedule on Tuesday (Nov. 17...
Virginia Earns 35th Straight NCAA Tournament Berth
M. Soccer | 11/16/2015
Virginia (9-4-3) plays host to Rider (14-5-1) at 7 p.m. Thursday (Nov. 19) in a first-round match...
Farm Bureau Insurance Coach's Corner with Mike London...
Football | 11/17/2015
The weekly "Coach's Corner with Mike London" radio program, presented by Virginia Farm Bureau...
Kickoff for UVA-Virginia Tech Game to Be Announced Nov. 21
Football | 11/16/2015
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today the start time for Virginia's Nov. 28 home football...
- Online Stores