The cheerleaders hold two full summer practices, one in June and one in July, to gear up for camp and the coming year. They also practice on their own time, communicating through emails to get together anyone in town and free to work out. The cheerleaders have a workout schedule to follow, which includes running, weight lifting, tumbling, abs, jump rope, and push-ups. They attended UCA camp in late July, learning new stunts, pyramids, basket tosses, and tumbling as well as working on material for the upcoming year.
The cheerleaders at UVA fundraise to pay for their uniforms, camp costs, and travel expenses. They have taught about 21 cheerleading camps this summer to middle and high schools all around Virginia. The camps are 2 to 4 days long with coaching in cheers, sidelines, dances, and stunts.
The University of Virginia offers book scholarships to the people that make the teams in April. We would like to be financially able to offer merit scholarships to those cheerleaders that go above and beyond. If you would like to donate to a scholarship fund specifically dedicated to the cheerleaders that participate in the most community service events and carry the highest GPAs, please contact Kelley Haney (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make a donation.
Buy a Virginia Cheerleading T-Shirt
Contact Kelley Haney at 434-996-8084 for more information.
Cavalier Club: 3.0 - 3.499
- Rachel Alden
- Candice Banks
- Kylie Chase
- Alex Collins
- Matt Elgin
- Cam Elward
- Elizabeth Farrell
- Ilya Gurin
- Myanna Khalfani
- Natalie Kloo
- Megan Maddox
- Jade Parker-Warner
- Katelyn Purcell
- Evan Rajadhyaksha
- Bobby Rotzin
- Chrissy Snyder
- Tori Steining
- Alison Stickel
- Angela Tu
Wahoo Club: 3.5-4.0
- Monica Allen
- Jessica Arndt
- Charles Baker
- Alex Chaulk
- Claire Creighton
- Lauren Hudak
- Dawson Kirkland
- Katie Longest
- Caroline Poma
- Keith Pederson
- Kristine Scherger
- Ashley Self
- Megan Sepanski
- Alicia Sullivan
Congratulations to the following people: 4.0
- Alex Chaulk
- Ashley Self
- Megan Sepanksi
2016 Cheerleading Tryout Information
The documents listed below may be downloaded by clicking here and must be completed for an individual to be eligible to tryout.
- Medical Identification Form
- Tryout Participation Waiver
- Physician's Affirmation of Physical Fitness to Participate
- A copy of the front and back of your insurance card.
- *GPA Tryout Requirement: 2.4 (current UVa students must bring proof of GPA to the first day of tryouts)
Tryout Dates and Location
April 15-17, 2016
- Friday, April 15, 2016 5:30pm-8:00pm North Grounds Gym
- Saturday, April 16, 2016 9am-noon, 1-3pm North Grounds Gym
- Sunday, April 17, 2016 9am John Paul Jones Arena
Tryout Fee: $20 cash or check made payable to UVA Cheerleading
Please be sure to bring the paperwork and tryout fee to the first day of tryouts, April 15th.
Tryout Requirement: Appearance
- Please be aware that appearance is an important part of the selection process. You should be "game ready" at all times of throughout the weekend.
- Ladies - we ask that you have game make up on at all times and have your hair styled as if you were at a game.
- Gentlemen - you must be clean shaven and have trimmed hair. No earrings.
What to wear: Cotton shorts(ladies), gym shorts(gentlemen), athletic t-shirts, sport tops, sports bras, white socks and tennis shoes are acceptable. Please be tasteful in your selections. Wearing other university/college logos is NOT recommended. We are asking that everyone wear orange, navy, gray or white.
- Females - you will be asked to wear a sports top/bra during the stunting selection.
- All athletic t-shirts must be tucked in for both males and females.
- No hats are permitted. Shoes must be worn at all times during the try-out weekend.
Standing Tumbling Requirements
- Females - each candidate must perform a standing backhandspring and a toe touch backhandspring.
- Note - standing back tucks are encouraged but NOT required.
- Females - each candidate must perform a tumbling pass-you will be asked to show your best tumbling pass.
Additional Tryout Requirements
- Female candidates will be asked to show the following skills: toe touch and toe touch backhandspring.
- This is required for all candidates. Females will be required to do a toe touch or standing backhandspring in the fight song.
- Note - This fight song must be performed throughout the season.
Candidates will be asked to perform the sideline for the selection process. Material should be executed in a collegiate manner, Excessive facials, arm waving and wide motions are not encouraged.
- Toss to shoulders
- Stretch full down
- Full up extension full down
** All-Girl stunting will be handled like a practice setting. Candidates will be placed in stunt groups by the coaching staff and evaluated the entire time. We will be looking for the ability to work with multiple people. Being as versatile as possible with stunting is highly recommended. You will be asked to work with more than one group.
Question: Can I bring my own partner for my personal try-out? Answer: No, we will use people that are part of the team.
Question: Will all stunts be spotted at the selection weekend even if I can do the stunt? Answer: YES. This is for safety purposes.
Question: I am a flyer, can I try out for both the co-ed and all-girl teams? Answer: Yes, you can also note which team you would prefer to be on. Team selection comes down to overall tryout.
Appearance will be considered at all times during the tryout. You should wear what makes you most comfortable. Those women trying out for the co-ed team also need to remember that you will wear uniforms that show your mid-section throughout the season.
- It is very important that you understand that you are trying out for a high profile position representing the University of Virginia.
- We are looking for the All-American type female and male.
- Gentlemen: please shave before attending the try-out weekend. This is required and expected from those that are selected for the program. Facial hair may not be grown during the course of the year in the program. This does include goatees..
- Ladies: you will need to look like you are game ready at the try-out weekend. This includes make-up and hair curled and pulled up, etc.
- Do not wear anything during the try-out weekend that features another school/university's logo or mascot.
If you are selected for one of the two University of Virginia Cheerleading teams, you will be required to stay for a short meeting (approximately 30 minutes) after the teams are announced The teams will be announced by a posting showing those who make each team.
The incoming students who are selected but have not been accepted to the University of Virginia will have until June 1 to be accepted. Coaches and athletic department staff do not have any influence on your acceptance to the University of Virginia.
Summer 2016 Commitments: TBD
- $125 toward UCA camp will be required from each team member
- Females: $90 for briefs(orange/navy) and bodysuits(white/navy)
- Expenses that are covered: per diem for summer practices, travel Nike shoes, warm ups, practice t-shirts, shorts and sports bras
For Questions Regarding Tryouts:
Please contact: Kelley Haney, Head Cheerleading Coach and Spirit Coordinator at email@example.com or 434-996-8084
'Hoos Head Into Finals on High NoteMen's Basketball12/7/16No. 14 Virginia, which defeated East Carolina on Tuesday night, doesn't play again until Dec. 17, when Robert Morris visits JPJ.'Hoos Learn Painful Lessons in LossMen's Basketball12/3/16No. 6 Virginia's 24-game winning streak at John Paul Jones Arena ended Saturday with a 66-57 loss to No. 25 West Virginia.Soccer Teams Turn Attention to 2017Men's Soccer12/2/16The Virginia men's and women's soccer teams are fixtures in their respective NCAA tournaments, and 2017 should bring more success for both.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Todd Morgan Named SE Region Women's COY
Track & Field, Cross Country | 11/17/2015
Virginia women's cross country coach Todd Morgan has been named the 2015 U.S. Track & Field and...
Virginia Adds Bleser, Favero, Gullickson With Signing Class
W. Tennis | 11/17/2015
Virginia added a trio of five-star athletes with the latest signing class as head coach Mark...
Jeff White: Early Test Exposes Cavaliers' Flaws
M. Basketball | 11/17/2015
After losing 73-68 Monday night to George Washington in Washington, D.C., sixth-ranked Virginia...
Virginia Downs Norfolk State, 86-50, in Home Opener
W. Basketball | 11/16/2015
Seven players finished the game in double figures including Faith Randolph who...
Virginia Rowing Announces 2016 Schedule
W. Rowing | 11/17/2015
Virginia rowing head coach Kevin Sauer announced the Cavaliers' 2015 schedule on Tuesday (Nov. 17...
Virginia Earns 35th Straight NCAA Tournament Berth
M. Soccer | 11/16/2015
Virginia (9-4-3) plays host to Rider (14-5-1) at 7 p.m. Thursday (Nov. 19) in a first-round match...
Farm Bureau Insurance Coach's Corner with Mike London...
Football | 11/17/2015
The weekly "Coach's Corner with Mike London" radio program, presented by Virginia Farm Bureau...
Kickoff for UVA-Virginia Tech Game to Be Announced Nov. 21
Football | 11/16/2015
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today the start time for Virginia's Nov. 28 home football...
- Online Stores