Cavaliers swimmer honored for relay performance at FINA World Championships
Busch named women's assistant coach
Junior swimmer makes squad for second-consecutive year
Junior swimmer takes gold in 4x200m free relay
Meet to be held in Kazan, Russia, Aug. 2-9
2015 World Champion
2014, 2015 US National Team Member
2014 ACC Freshman of the Year
NCAA Champion (2)
2015: 500 Free, 1,650 Free
2015: 200 Free, 500 Free, 1,650 Free, 800 Free Relay (HM)
2014: 1,650 Free, 800 Free Relay, 500 Free (HM)
ACC Champion (7)
2015: 200 Free, 500 Free, 1,650 Free, 800 Free Relay
2014: 500 Free, 1,650 Free, 800 Free Relay
2015: 200 Free, 500 Free, 1,650 Free, 800 Free Relay
2014: 200 Free, 500 Free, 1,650 Free, 800 Free Relay
Virginia Career Bests
200 Free: 1:43.80 (2nd all-time at UVa)
500 Free: 4:30.37 (NCAA, ACC and UVa Record)
1000 Free: 9:26.06 (ACC and UVa Record)
1650 Free: 15:34.46 (ACC and UVa Record)
• NCAA Champion in the 500 free and 1,650 free
• Finalist for the Honda Award
• Set an NCAA, ACC and UVa record in the 500 free (4:30.37) during prelims at the NCAA Championships
• Set a new ACC and UVa record in the 1,650 free (15:34.46) at NCAAs
• Earned All-America honors in the 200 free, placing seventh at NCAAs
• Also earned honorable mention All-America honors in the 800 free that finished ninth at NCAAs
• ACC Champion in 200 free, 500 free and 1,650 free
• Part of ACC Champion 800 free relay that broke the ACC and UVa record in 7:00.93
• Set a new career-best in the 200 free (1:43.80) at NCAAs
• Went undefeated in the 500 free (12 races), 1,000 free (2 races) and 1,650 free (4 races) the entire season
• Also won the 200 free against NC State
• Named to the All-ACC Academic Team
• Recognized on the ACC Academic Honor Roll
• World Champion with the U.S. 4x200m free relay at the FINA World Championships in Kazan, Russia
• Represented the U.S. at the World University Games in Gwangju, South Korea
• Earned gold in the 400m free and 4x200m free relay
• Placed fourth in the 200m free
• Broke the World University Games record in the 400m free with a time of 4:04.66.
• 2014 ACC Freshman of the Year
• Earned All-America honors with a third-place finish in the 1,650 free in a school-record time of 15:42.04 at NCAA Championships, 11th-fastest in history (seventh-fastest American in history)
• Her 1,000 split in that mile was a school-record 9:30.19
• Led off the 800 free relay that placed fifth at NCAAs, earning All-America honors
• Took home Honorable Mention All-America honors with a ninth-place finish in the 500 free in 4:33.65, the third-fastest time in the NCAA and 10th-fastest in history (eighth-fastest American in history)
• Also placed 17th in the 200 free at NCAAs
• ACC Champion in the 500 free and 1650 free
• Led off the 800 free relay that was ACC Champion and broke the school record in 7:01.39
• Earned All-ACC honors with a second-place finish in the 200 free
• Won the 200 and 500 free and placed second in the 1,650 free at the Ohio State Invite
• Picked up 12 dual-meet wins (200 free - 2x, 400m free - 1x, 500 free - 3x, 800m free - 1x, 1000 free - 3x, 1650 free - 1x, 400 IM - 1x)
• Represented the United States at the 2014 Pan Pacific Championships in Gold Coast, Australia
• Won gold as part of the 4x200m free relay at the Pan Pacific Championships
• Finished ninth in the 400m free and 800m free at 2014 Pan Pacs
• Finished in the top six in four events at the Phillips 66 U.S. National Championships
• Placed third in the 200m free and 400m free, fifth in the 1,500m free and sixth in the 800m free
• Named to the U.S. National Team for three events (200m free, 400m free, 800m free), one of seven athletes to accomplish the feat
• Placed 12th in the 800m free and 14th in the 400m free at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials
• Gold medalist and record holder in 400m free and 800m free and bronze medalist in 200m free at 2012 Junior Pan Pacific Championships
• 2012 Junior Pan Pacific Championships Swimmer of the Meet
• Also competed in 200m free at Trials
• Silver medalist in 400m free and bronze medalist in 800m free at 2011 Winter National Championships
• Member of the 2012-13 U.S. National Junior Team
• USA Swimming Scholastic All-American
• Member of the National Honor Society
• Scholastic All-American
• Daughter of Margee and Dan Smith
• Has two older siblings, Aileen and Daniel, and a younger brother, Neal
• Father, Dan, was a pole vaulter at UVa from 1982-86
• Sister, Aileen, is a swimmer for Columbia
• Comes from a rich family tradition of professional and collegiate athletes, including World Light Heavyweight Boxing Champion Billy Conn (great uncle) and World Series Champion Jimmy Smith (great-grandfather)
Stage Set for Season FinaleFootball11/27/15At noon Saturday, in the rivals' annual clash for the Commonwealth Cup, Virginia (4-7, 3-4) meets Virginia Tech (5-6, 3-4) at Scott Stadium.'Hoos Have Plenty in Reserve at JPJMen's Basketball11/26/15No. 12 Virginia received 30 points from its reserves in an 80-54 win over Lehigh on Wednesday night at John Paul Jones Arena.Cavalier Football Notebook -- Virginia Tech WeekFootball11/24/15At noon Saturday, Virginia (4-7, 3-4) closes the season against Virginia Tech (5-6, 3-4) at Scott Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Women's Swimming and Diving Rises to No. 1 in...
Swimming & Diving | 11/4/2015
For the first time in program history, the Virginia women's swimming and diving program has been ...
Virginia Women Defeat Michigan and Penn State, Men Earn Split
Swimming & Diving | 11/1/2015
The No. 4 Virginia women's swimming and diving team defeated Michigan and Penn State Sunday (Nov....
Virginia Finishes Day One Action against Michigan, Penn State
Swimming & Diving | 10/31/2015
The Virginia men's and women's swimming and diving team finished day one action against Michigan ...
Virginia to Compete against Michigan, Penn State This Weekend
Swimming & Diving | 10/30/2015
The Virginia men's and women's swimming and diving teams travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., this weekend...
Bartholomew, Smith to Represent U.S. in Duel in the Pool
Swimming & Diving | 10/22/2015
Virginia swimmers Courtney Bartholomew and Leah Smith have been named to the American squad that ...
Virginia Splits with Tennessee to Open Season
Swimming & Diving | 10/16/2015
The Virginia swimming and diving teams picked up a split against Tennessee Friday afternoon (Oct....
Virginia Opens Season with Home Dual against Tennessee
Swimming & Diving | 10/15/2015
The Virginia men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams will open their 2015-16...
Winter Sports Meet The Teams Day Set for Sunday, Oct. 18
Swimming & Diving | 10/02/2015
The Virginia men's and women's basketball, men's and women's swimming & diving, and wrestling...
- Online Stores