Murdock and Bettinger combine on five-hit shutout
Cavaliers rack up 17 hits in series-opening win
Knight hits three-run homer, while UVA limits Pitt to four hits
Bettinger works six shutout innings of relief while Smith drives in five runs
Cavaliers pile up 20 hits to force a Sunday rubber game in the series
Images from UVa's run through College World Series and to the national title
Baseball vs. Miami (By Kelsey Grant)
• Pitched in 23 games, with last eight coming as starts
• Pitched 61 1/3 innings (fourth on team)
• Ranked sixth in ACC with seven saves
• Made first start of season on April 10 at Boston College and worked five innings of one-run baseball
• Allowed three earned runs over six innings to earn first win of season in series clincher at Miami (4/24)
• Pitched first complete game in win over Georgia Tech (5/14); allowed only two hits over first six innings
• Grinded through three-run, four-walk first inning and held Virginia Tech scoreless over final five innings in UVA win (5/20)
• Allowed two runs over six innings to earn win against William & Mary in NCAA regional (6/3)
• Second on team with 27 appearances, including four starts
• Earned three saves, including in ACC wins over Duke and North Carolina
• Tied for third on team with five wins
• Picked up win in Game 2 of NCAA Super Regional against Maryland after pitching perfect ninth inning (6/6)
• Earned save in Game 1 at North Carolina by working scoreless 10th inning, leaving runners at second and third to end game
• Pitched out of first and third, none-out situation in eighth inning of tie game vs Richmond; earned win (5/12)
• Picked up first career save on Feb. 27 against Hartford
• In three regular-season starts, he allowed one earned run over 15 innings while striking out 17
• Earned wins in all six of his midweek starts, allowing just three earned runs in those contests
• Struck out the side in ninth inning in NCAA tournament opener against Bucknell (5/30)
• Worked five innings of one-run baseball in latest start, a win, against VCU (5/13)
• Had streak of 15 straight scoreless innings snapped against William & Mary (4/16)
• Struck out career-high 11 batters and gave up just one hit and one walk in start against Richmond (4/23)
• Worked four shutout innings to earn win at James Madison (4/8)
• Tossed six shutout frames in victory over Old Dominion (4/1)
• Worked five shutout innings in win over Longwood (3/26)
• Made first college start vs. Princeton, tossing four innings of two-run baseball to earn first win (3/20)
• Tossed 1 2/3 scoreless innings in first appearance vs. VMI (2/15) CD HYLTON HIGH SCHOOL
• Named First-Team All-District in 2013
• Earned Honorable Mention All-Northwest Region honors in 2013
• Was Honorable Mention All-District selection in 2012
• Team MVP in 2012 and 2013
• Coached by Craig Flesher
• Played travel team baseball with EvoShield Canes
• Parents are Mark and Linda Bettinger
• Has one sister, Julia, and one brother, Cooper
Harris' Returns Bolsters SecondaryFootball4/28/17After missing most of last season with a shoulder injury, cornerback Tim Harris figures to be a key member of Virginia's secondary this fall.Williams' UVA Journey Nearing Its EndMen's Lacrosse4/26/17One game remains in the college career of attackman Zed Williams, who'll graduate from UVA next month with a bachelor's degree in drama.Afamefuna Thriving in New RoleMen's Soccer4/24/17After making the ACC's All-Freshman team as a defender last fall, Virginia's Robin Afamefuna is looking to contribute more at the attacking end this year.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 10 Virginia Blanks Florida State, 8-0
Baseball | 4/29/2017
Behind a two-hit shutout from Noah Murdock and Alec Bettinger, UVA evened the series at a game...
No. 10 Virginia Drops Series Opener at Florida State, 6-4
Baseball | 4/28/2017
Nate Eikhoff recorded a pair of hits, while Adam Haseley extended his hit streak to 11 games.
No. 10 Virginia Travels to Florida State This Weekend
Baseball | 4/27/2017
The series opens at 6 p.m. Friday in Tallahassee and continues with 1 p.m. games Saturday and...
Virginia-Radford Game Cancelled
Baseball | 4/25/2017
Scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday (April 25), the game has been cancelled because of inclement weather...
No. 10 Virginia Plays Host to Radford Tuesday
Baseball | 4/24/2017
No. 11 Virginia Dominates Notre Dame, 9-0, to Win Series
Baseball | 4/22/2017
Noah Murdock and Alec Bettinger combined on a five-hit shutout as UVA picked up its third...
No. 11 Virginia Splits DH With Notre Dame
Baseball | 04/22/2017
Please note: The series finale Saturday has been moved to an 11 a.m. start time because of...
No. 11 Virginia Welcomes Notre Dame for ACC Series
Baseball | 04/20/2017
The original schedule has been altered, and the teams will play a doubleheader Friday, followed...
- Online Stores