Five Virginia players selected in first 10 rounds of draft
Casey works seven strong innings as UVA moves on to face TCU/CCSU winner
Cavaliers win fifth straight ACC series and eighth straight series against Miami
Hurricanes take opener, 5-1, but UVA rebounds for 13-6 win in nightcap
Novak hits game-winning single in bottom of ninth inning
Images from UVa's run through College World Series and to the national title
Baseball vs. Miami (By Kelsey Grant)
• Made 82 pitching appearances (seventh in program history)
• Recorded 22 wins, tied for fourth in school history
• Racked up 214 1/3 career innings and 219 strikeouts in 82 games (18 starts)
• Pitched in seven NCAA tournament games, including wins in clinching Game 2 of 2015 Super Regional vs. Maryland and 2016 Regional vs. William & Mary
• Selected in 10th round of MLB Draft by Milwaukee Brewers (No. 294 overall)
• Went 8-0 with 2.43 ERA in 21 relief outings (third pitcher in school history to record 8+ wins and no losses in a season)
• Worked 63 innings, including 15 appearances of 2+ innings
• Led team with 71 strikeouts
• Tied for sixth in ACC in wins (8), third in opponent batting (.170) and fifth in ERA (2.43); five of his wins came in ACC play
• Allowed one run in nine total innings over the course of three postseason relief outings
• Fired 5 1/3 innings of relief in NCAA tournament game at TCU (6/4); allowed one run in 6 1/3 innings in the regional
• Worked 2 1/3 scoreless innings against Duke in ACC tournament (5/25)
• Earned wins in four straight ACC weekends from March 25-April 13, working at least three innings in each win
• Fired three shutout innings to earn save in 8-0 win at Florida State (4/29)
• Tossed six shutout innings of relief in win over Louisville (4/1)
• Pitched in 23 games, with last eight coming as starts
• Pitched 61 1/3 innings (fourth on team)
• Ranked sixth in ACC with seven saves
• Made first start of season on April 10 at Boston College and worked five innings of one-run baseball
• Allowed three earned runs over six innings to earn first win of season in series clincher at Miami (4/24)
• Pitched first complete game in win over Georgia Tech (5/14); allowed only two hits over first six innings
• Grinded through three-run, four-walk first inning and held Virginia Tech scoreless over final five innings in UVA win (5/20)
• Allowed two runs over six innings to earn win against William & Mary in NCAA regional (6/3)
• Second on team with 27 appearances, including four starts
• Earned three saves, including in ACC wins over Duke and North Carolina
• Tied for third on team with five wins
• Picked up win in Game 2 of NCAA Super Regional against Maryland after pitching perfect ninth inning (6/6)
• Earned save in Game 1 at North Carolina by working scoreless 10th inning, leaving runners at second and third to end game
• Pitched out of first and third, none-out situation in eighth inning of tie game vs Richmond; earned win (5/12)
• Picked up first career save on Feb. 27 against Hartford
• In three regular-season starts, he allowed one earned run over 15 innings while striking out 17 2014
• Earned wins in all six of his midweek starts, allowing just three earned runs in those contests
• Struck out the side in ninth inning in NCAA tournament opener against Bucknell (5/30)
• Worked five innings of one-run baseball in latest start, a win, against VCU (5/13)
• Had streak of 15 straight scoreless innings snapped against William & Mary (4/16)
• Struck out career-high 11 batters and gave up just one hit and one walk in start against Richmond (4/23)
• Worked four shutout innings to earn win at James Madison (4/8)
• Tossed six shutout frames in victory over Old Dominion (4/1)
• Worked five shutout innings in win over Longwood (3/26)
• Made first college start vs. Princeton, tossing four innings of two-run baseball to earn first win (3/20)
• Tossed 1 2/3 scoreless innings in first appearance vs. VMI (2/15) CD HYLTON HIGH SCHOOL
• Named First-Team All-District in 2013
• Earned Honorable Mention All-Northwest Region honors in 2013
• Was Honorable Mention All-District selection in 2012
• Team MVP in 2012 and 2013
• Coached by Craig Flesher
• Played travel team baseball with EvoShield Canes
• Parents are Mark and Linda Bettinger
• Has one sister, Julia, and one brother, Cooper
Cunningham Thriving With Super Bowl ChampsFootball2/23/18Former UVA offensive lineman Ian-Yates Cunningham is the Philadelphia Eagles' director of college scouting.No. 1 Cavaliers Reach Another MilestoneMen's Basketball2/22/18Top-ranked Virginia clinched the No. 1 seed in the ACC tournament Tuesday night with a hard-earned victory over Georgia Tech at John Paul Jones Arena.New Era Begins for Davenport FieldBaseball2/21/18The expanded Davenport Field was unveiled Tuesday, and a crowd of 3,709, the largest ever for a UVA home opener, turned out for the game.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Game Two Start Time Pushed to 10 a.m.
Baseball | 2/23/2018
The start time of game two of the Virginia baseball series against Eastern Kentucky on Saturday (...
Late EKU Rally Leads to Game One Win
Baseball | 2/23/2018
Eastern Kentucky (1-4) overcame a two-run deficit by plating three, ninth-inning runs to capture ...
No. 18 Virginia hosts Eastern Kentucky in Weekend Series
Baseball | 2/22/2018
No. 18 Virginia (2-2) begins a three-game series with Eastern Kentucky (0-4) on Friday (Feb. 23) ...
Jeff White: New Era Begins for Davenport Field
Baseball | 2/21/2018
The expanded Davenport Field was unveiled Tuesday, and a crowd of 3,709, the largest ever for a...
Big Inning Dooms No. 18 Virginia in Home Opener
Baseball | 2/20/2018
No. 18 Virginia (2-2) set a new home opener attendance record in a 9-4 loss to VMI.
Disharoon Park is now the Home of Virginia Baseball
Baseball | 2/20/2018
The University of Virginia department of athletics and the Virginia Athletics Foundation...
Jeff White: Davenport Field Ready for Unveiling
Baseball | 02/20/2018
No. 15 Virginia hosts VMI at 5 p.m. Tuesday at Davenport Field, which has been expanded and...
Baseball Home Opener Start Time Moved to 5 p.m.
Baseball | 02/19/2018
The first pitch for Virginia’s home opener against VMI on Tuesday (Feb.20) has been moved...
- Online Stores