Five Virginia players selected in first 10 rounds of draft
Casey works seven strong innings as UVA moves on to face TCU/CCSU winner
Cavaliers win fifth straight ACC series and eighth straight series against Miami
Hurricanes take opener, 5-1, but UVA rebounds for 13-6 win in nightcap
Novak hits game-winning single in bottom of ninth inning
Images from UVa's run through College World Series and to the national title
Baseball vs. Miami (By Kelsey Grant)
• Made 82 pitching appearances (seventh in program history)
• Recorded 22 wins, tied for fourth in school history
• Racked up 214 1/3 career innings and 219 strikeouts in 82 games (18 starts)
• Pitched in seven NCAA tournament games, including wins in clinching Game 2 of 2015 Super Regional vs. Maryland and 2016 Regional vs. William & Mary
• Selected in 10th round of MLB Draft by Milwaukee Brewers (No. 294 overall)
• Went 8-0 with 2.43 ERA in 21 relief outings (third pitcher in school history to record 8+ wins and no losses in a season)
• Worked 63 innings, including 15 appearances of 2+ innings
• Led team with 71 strikeouts
• Tied for sixth in ACC in wins (8), third in opponent batting (.170) and fifth in ERA (2.43); five of his wins came in ACC play
• Allowed one run in nine total innings over the course of three postseason relief outings
• Fired 5 1/3 innings of relief in NCAA tournament game at TCU (6/4); allowed one run in 6 1/3 innings in the regional
• Worked 2 1/3 scoreless innings against Duke in ACC tournament (5/25)
• Earned wins in four straight ACC weekends from March 25-April 13, working at least three innings in each win
• Fired three shutout innings to earn save in 8-0 win at Florida State (4/29)
• Tossed six shutout innings of relief in win over Louisville (4/1)
• Pitched in 23 games, with last eight coming as starts
• Pitched 61 1/3 innings (fourth on team)
• Ranked sixth in ACC with seven saves
• Made first start of season on April 10 at Boston College and worked five innings of one-run baseball
• Allowed three earned runs over six innings to earn first win of season in series clincher at Miami (4/24)
• Pitched first complete game in win over Georgia Tech (5/14); allowed only two hits over first six innings
• Grinded through three-run, four-walk first inning and held Virginia Tech scoreless over final five innings in UVA win (5/20)
• Allowed two runs over six innings to earn win against William & Mary in NCAA regional (6/3)
• Second on team with 27 appearances, including four starts
• Earned three saves, including in ACC wins over Duke and North Carolina
• Tied for third on team with five wins
• Picked up win in Game 2 of NCAA Super Regional against Maryland after pitching perfect ninth inning (6/6)
• Earned save in Game 1 at North Carolina by working scoreless 10th inning, leaving runners at second and third to end game
• Pitched out of first and third, none-out situation in eighth inning of tie game vs Richmond; earned win (5/12)
• Picked up first career save on Feb. 27 against Hartford
• In three regular-season starts, he allowed one earned run over 15 innings while striking out 17 2014
• Earned wins in all six of his midweek starts, allowing just three earned runs in those contests
• Struck out the side in ninth inning in NCAA tournament opener against Bucknell (5/30)
• Worked five innings of one-run baseball in latest start, a win, against VCU (5/13)
• Had streak of 15 straight scoreless innings snapped against William & Mary (4/16)
• Struck out career-high 11 batters and gave up just one hit and one walk in start against Richmond (4/23)
• Worked four shutout innings to earn win at James Madison (4/8)
• Tossed six shutout frames in victory over Old Dominion (4/1)
• Worked five shutout innings in win over Longwood (3/26)
• Made first college start vs. Princeton, tossing four innings of two-run baseball to earn first win (3/20)
• Tossed 1 2/3 scoreless innings in first appearance vs. VMI (2/15) CD HYLTON HIGH SCHOOL
• Named First-Team All-District in 2013
• Earned Honorable Mention All-Northwest Region honors in 2013
• Was Honorable Mention All-District selection in 2012
• Team MVP in 2012 and 2013
• Coached by Craig Flesher
• Played travel team baseball with EvoShield Canes
• Parents are Mark and Linda Bettinger
• Has one sister, Julia, and one brother, Cooper
Cooper Thriving Under New StaffSwimming & Diving12/12/17A senior from Atlanta and one of the team's captains, Caitlin Cooper set the UVA women's record in the 50-yard freestyle early this month in Athens, Georgia.Hazzard Aiming to Uphold Family TraditionTrack & Field, Cross Country12/11/17A freshman from Long Island, New York, Halle Hazzard is the younger sister of Payton Hazzard, who was an All-America sprinter for the Cavaliers.UVA's Campbell Winners Share Special BondFootball12/6/17UVA is the only ACC school with multiple winners of the prestigious Campbell Trophy: Tom Burns in 1993 and Micah Kiser this year.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Announces Inaugural Baseball Hall of Fame Class
Baseball | 12/7/2017
The 15-member Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class was unveiled today by current members of the...
2018 Baseball Season Tickets on Sale Now
Baseball | 12/4/2017
The public sale of 2018 Virginia baseball season tickets begins on Monday, Dec. 4 for the...
Inaugural Hall of Fame Class to be Inducted at 2018 Step Up ...
Baseball | 11/2/2017
The Virginia Baseball program will announce its inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class at...
Jeff White: Sousa Has Unfinished Business at UVA
Baseball | 11/3/2017
Senior left-hander Bennett Sousa, who was 3-0 with a 4.09 ERA last season, will be a key member...
Orange Wins Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 11/5/2017
For the third year in a row, Orange was crowned Orange and Blue World Series champions.
Two-Run, Two-Out Rally Lifts Orange to Game 5 Victory
Baseball | 10/31/2017
Orange took control of the second portion of the seven-game Orange and Blue World Series with a 5...
Inaugural Baseball Hall of Fame Class to be Unveiled Thursday
Baseball | 12/06/2017
The inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class will be revealed on Thursday, Dec. 7.
Blue Takes First Three-Game Series with 5-0 Win in Game 3
Baseball | 10/29/2017
The Blue team captured the first three-game series based on run differential, but the Orange...
- Online Stores