Casey, Sousa combine for 12 strikeouts
Virginia Takes Opener Behind Big Fifth Inning Cavaliers plate six runs in the fifth
Virginia records seventh shutout of 2018
Cavaliers score two in last at bat
Sousa strikes out six in six-out save
• Selected by Washington Nationals in 34th round of MLB Draft (1,033 overall)
• Pitched in team-high 24 games out of bullpen
• Batters hit just .210 against him
• Gave up one earned run over nine appearances from April 5-May 18
• Earned wins against VCU (3/29), Virginia Tech (4/15) and Longwood (4/18)
• Worked ninth inning and struck out the side in UVA's ACC tournament win over Clemson (5/26)
• Pitched 4 2/3 scoreless innings of relief and struck out career-high six batters against Niagara (3/4)
• Appeared in 16 games, including 13 out of bullpen
• His last three appearances were midweek starts
• Fired scoreless 10th and 11th inning in earning win against Monmouth (3/5)
• Worked into the sixth inning and did not walk a batter in first college start against Radford, earning the win (4/19)
• Made seven appearances out of bullpen
• Recorded scoreless outings in six of his seven games
• Made first ACC appearances against Florida State, pitching on March 21 and 22
• Made UVa debut on Feb. 20 against Marist, working one scoreless inning
THE BENJAMIN SCHOOL
• Named 2014 Second-Team All-American by Perfect Game
• Also named to Perfect Game's Underclass All-America teams in 2012 and 2013
• Named to Palm Beach Post All-Area Team all four years
• Earned Palm Beach County First-Team All-County honors twice at pitcher
• Claimed Florida First-Team All-Region honors as senior
• Was Palm Beach District Pitcher of Year as sophomore
• Coached by Brian Kaplan
• Earned Buccaneer Award his senior year (for leadership)
• Played travel team baseball with Florida Burn
• Parents are John and Erika Sousa
• Has two sisters, Gretchen and Whitney
NCAA Quest Begins for Iceland NativeTrack & Field, Cross Country5/24/18A three-time ACC champion in the hammer throw, Virginia junior Hilmar Jonsson competes Thursday at the NCAA East Preliminary meet in Tampa, Fla.Lynch Shines Again in His Season FinaleBaseball5/23/18In what was probably his final appearance for UVA, junior left-hander Daniel Lynch struck out seven Tuesday against Florida State in the ACC tournament.UVA Pioneer Ready for Next ChapterFootball5/21/18Kent Merritt, who's retiring next month from his position in the history department, was among the first African-American football players at Virginia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Dominant Pitching Helps Virginia End on High Note
Baseball | 5/24/2018
Virginia concluded pool play at the ACC Championship with a 4-2 victory over third-seeded NC...
Jeff White: Lynch Shines Again in His Season Finale
Baseball | 5/23/2018
In what was probably his final appearance for UVA, junior Daniel Lynch struck out seven Tuesday...
Virginia Falls to No. 9 Florida State in Extra Innings
Baseball | 5/22/2018
No. 9 Florida State prevailed, 3-2 in the bottom of the 11th inning with a walk-off single at the...
Virginia Begins ACC Tournament Play Tuesday
Baseball | 5/21/2018
No. 10 seed Virginia will begin its play in the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship on Tuesday
Four Cavaliers Earn All-ACC Accolades
Baseball | 5/21/2018
Second baseman Andy Weber earned First Team All-ACC honors for the first time in his career.
Dates, Times Announced For ACC Baseball Championship
Baseball | 5/20/2018
Virginia will begin play in the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship on Tuesday (May 22).
Wake Forest Outlasts Virginia in Regular Season Finale
Baseball | 05/19/2018
Wake Forest scored runs in all but one turn at the plate in a 18-12 victory over Virginia.
Virginia Evens Series at Wake Forest
Baseball | 05/18/2018
Virginia scored a season-high 15 runs, including nine in the ninth to even the series at Wake...
- Online Stores