Crowd of over 1,000 watches as NCAA champions receive rings
Conference has record 4,143 student-athletes recognized
Waddell earns honor for second time, while Woodruff claims his first
Cavaliers take College World Series with 4-2 win over reigning champion Vanderbilt
Cavaliers play Vanderbilt beginning Monday in best-of-three finals
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
The Virginia Cavaliers vs. Florida Gators in the College World Series on June 6, 2015.
Images from UVa's run through College World Series and to the national title
Virginia takes on Florida in the College World Series
College World Series Finals Game 2 (by Matt Riley)
• Made program-record 53 career starts, including school-record 19 in 2015 (tied for national lead)
• UVa was 39-14 in his starts
• Pitched 312 2/3 career innings (fourth in UVa history)
• Finished with 21 career wins (tied for fifth in program history; also ranks seventh in UVa history with 246 strikeouts
• Made 11 career NCAA tournament starts (first in program history); first at UVa in NCAA tournament wins (6) and innings (73.0) and strikeouts (45)
• Was 6-1 with 2.34 ERA in 11 career NCAA tourney starts
• Started five College World Series games in his career; UVa was 5-0 in those games
• Selected in fifth round (No. 157) in 2015 MLB Draft by Pittsburgh Pirates
• Named to All-College World Series Team for second straight season
• Named to All-NCAA Lake Elsinore Regional Team
• Graduated in three years with bachelor’s degree in economics
• Preseason All-American by Louisville Slugger and NCBWA (second team) and Perfect Game (third team)
• Named to All-ACC Academic Baseball Team for second straight year and to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Was 2-0 with 2.84 ERA and limited opponents to .179 batting average in three starts in College World Series
• Pitched seven innings of two-run baseball and earned win in Game 3 of CWS Finals against Vanderbilt (6/24); retired final 11 batters he faced
• Worked six innings or more in eight of his last nine starts
• Worked seven scoreless innings in UVa’s 1-0 win over No. 4 seed Florida in CWS (6/15); returned on June 20 to fire five innings against Gators as UVa won to advance to CWS Finals
• Allowed one unearned run in 7 1/3 innings in UVa’s regional win over San Diego State (5/30)
• Third-Team All-ACC honoree
• Selected to College World Series All-Tournament Team
• UVa went 15-3 in his starts (18 starts tied for the most in season in program history)
• Walked 19 batters in 114 innings; became 12th pitcher in program history to reach 100 innings in a season
• Had sensational NCAA Tournament, going 3-0 with 1.59 ERA over four starts
• Finished second in ACC with 10 wins and 114 innings pitched
• Posted 2.37 ERA in ACC games (12th in league)
• Named to All-ACC Academic Baseball Team
• Worked at least six innings in 12 of his 18 starts, including 10 straight starts at one point
• Did not allow more than three earned runs in any of his final 17 starts
• Had streaks of no walks in 33 1/3 innings and no unintentional walks in 37 2/3 IP snapped when he walked leadoff batter in fourth inning at Florida State
• Started two games in College World Series
• Recorded first career nine-inning complete game in CWS Finals vs. Vanderbilt, allowing one earned run (6/24)
• Took no decision vs. TCU in CWS, going seven innings and allowing just one earned run (6/17)
• Pitched 5 2/3 innings of one-run baseball to pick up win in super regional against Maryland (6/8)
• Worked 6 2/3 innings to earn NCAA regional win over Arkansas (6/1); did not allow run until two outs in seventh
• Pitched five scoreless innings, struck out seven in ACC tourney win over North Carolina (5/23)
• Allowed one run in seven solid innings in win over Georgia Tech (5/11)
• Worked seven innings of three-hit baseball to earn win in rubber game at Florida State (4/27)
• Fired 6 1/3 shutout innings in win over Clemson (4/13)
• Worked eight innings and allowed only two hits in win at Pitt (4/6)
• Worked 6 1/3 innings in second game of doubleheader vs. BC (no decision)
• Recorded first career complete game in six-inning, rain-shortened game against Monmouth (3/2)
• Friday starter all year for UVa; was only freshman to start every series opener in ACC in 2013
• Tied for third among all freshmen nationally in strikeouts (84)
• Finished eighth in ACC in strikeouts
• Was first freshman to start a UVa season opener since Dave Sammons on Feb. 26, 1986, at William and Mary
• UVa was 13-3 in his starts
• Struck out 15 batters in six IP against Toledo - most strikeouts by a UVa freshman since Seth Greisinger vs. UNC in 1994
• Named one of Collegiate Baseball's six National Players of the Week on Feb. 25 following his outing against Toledo
• Worked seven innings of one-run, three hit baseball to win win in NCAA opener vs. Army; struck out eight (5/31)
• Pitched seven innings at UNC (5/16); gave up four runs in first three innings before shutting out UNC over final four frames
• Worked 6 1/3 innings in no decision against Duke, giving up four runs (two earned) on five hits, including pair of two-run homers (5/10)
• Picked up Friday win at Virginia Tech, working 5 2/3 innings (6ER, 8H, BB, 5K)
• Worked six innings of one-run baseball in win over Florida State (4/20); 4H, 3BB, 3K
• Suffered first loss at Georgia Tech despite good outing; worked 5 2/3 innings, allowing 2 ER, 6 H, BB (4/12)
• Earned no decision vs. NC State (3/23), tossing 5 2/3 innings (2ER, 6H, 0BB, 6K)
• Pitched 6 1/3 innings against Clemson (3/15), striking out eight
• Worked into seventh inning vs. Maryland; allowed three earned runs in six innings (3/9)
• Named all-district at first base in 2012
• Served as 2012 team captain
• Coached by Rupert Jaso at Clear Lake
• Member of National Honor Society
• Parents are Chuck and Terrie Waddell
• Has one sister, Samantha
Reinkensmeyer Moves Center StageFootball9/19/17Redshirt freshman Dillon Reinkensmeyer will make his third start for Virginia -- his second at center -- at Boise State on Friday night.'Hoos Savor Emphatic VictoryFootball9/16/17Virginia, which finished 2-10 in 2016, improved to 2-1 in its second season under head coach Bronco Mendenhall with a 38-18 win over UConn.Cross Training for Heavier WorkloadFootball9/15/17Redshirt freshman De'Vante Cross, who expected to play quarterback and receiver for Virginia this fall, is now practicing at cornerback, too.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Announces 2017 Fall Baseball Schedule
Baseball | 9/14/2017
UVA plays a home exhibition against the Ontario Blue Jays on Oct. 12, and travels to Cary, N.C., ...
Artie Lewicki to Make MLB Debut Monday with Tigers
Baseball | 9/3/2017
Lewicki is the 39th Virginia baseball player to reach Major League Baseball and the 16th Cavalier...
Cavaliers in the Pros: August Update
Baseball | 8/22/2017
Five former Cavaliers are currently playing on first-place teams as MLB heads toward final month ...
Virginia's Summer Baseball Wrapup
Baseball | 8/16/2017
Rising junior Daniel Lynch had a breakout summer while playing for the Orleans Firebirds and was ...
Jeff White: UVA Greats Enjoying Reunion in D.C.
Baseball | 7/28/2017
Ryan Zimmerman and Sean Doolittle, who were teammates at UVA in 2005, now play together on the...
Cavaliers in the Pros: All-Star Break Update
Baseball | 7/12/2017
For the third straight season, 11 former Virginia baseball players have seen time at the Major...
Summer Baseball Update
Baseball | 07/11/2017
Virginia's Bobby Nicholson (NECBL) and Grant Donahue (PGCBL) each were named their respective...
Three Cavaliers Named to All-ACC Academic Team
Baseball | 06/29/2017
Robbie Coman, Tommy Doyle and Chesdin Harrington each were named to the all-academic team for the...
- Online Stores