Cavaliers score eight runs in first inning and get seven strong innings from Daniel Lynch
Haseley and Smith earn first-team honors
Cavaliers reach 40-win plateau for 11th time in last 14 seasons
Cavaliers finish with 14-0 record in midweek games
Cavaliers win fifth straight ACC series and eighth straight series against Miami
• Second-Team All-ACC honoree (outfield)
• Played in 58 games, including 56 starts in right field
• Finished fourth in ACC in batting (.352)
• Batted .374 in ACC games, tops among UVA players and third in ACC
• Eighth in ACC in RBI (57) and 11th in OBP (.432)
• Tied with Adam Haseley for team lead with 27 multiple-hit games, including team-high 10 three-hit games
• Had a streak of seven straight multi-hit games from April 7-15
• Hit nine home runs, including two-home run game against Richmond (5/16)
• Was 2-for-8 with four RBI in ACC tournament; hit three-run home run against Clemson (5/26)
• Hit grand slam and drove in career-high six runs in win over Miami (5/13)
• Was 5-for-14 and drove in five runs in Florida State series
• Went 6-for-13 and scored five runs in Notre Dame series
• Was 7-for-12 in Pitt series
• Played in 50 games with 44 starts (41 RF, 3 LF); both ranked as the most among UVA's freshmen
• After slow start at plate, he found his stride in late April
• Played in each of UVA's last 19 games, batting .319 (23-for-72) with eight doubles in that stretch
• Batted team-high .406 (13-32) during UVA's eight-game win streak in late April/early May
• Homered in first UVA game on Feb. 19 against Kent State
• Hit long home run vs. Wagner (3/9); also doubled in drove in season-high four runs and scored three runs
• Started and recorded hits in all three games in Wake Forest series (4-for-9, two runs in series)
• Hit 3-run double in win over North Carolina (4/17)
• Ripped solo home run in ninth inning in win at Miami (4/22)
• Was 4-for-11 in Georgia Tech series
• Homered in Game 1 of Virginia Tech series; was 4-for-11 in series
• Was 4-for-12 with three runs in NCAA regional
• Named First-Team All-Southeastern Pennsylvania as senior
• Was Mercury All-Area Player of Year as senior
• Named Pioneer Athletic Conference MVP his senior year and also was First-Team All-PAC selection
• Batted .452 with three home runs, eight doubles and four triples his senior year
• Coached by Bruce Brobst
• Played travel team baseball with All-Star Baseball Academy
• Parents are Steve and Sue Simmons
• Has two brothers, Connor and Chase
'Hoos Eager to Seize Opportunity Friday NightFootball11/21/17At 8 p.m. Friday, in the annual battle for the Commonwealth Clash, UVA (6-5 overall, 3-4 ACC) meets Virginia Tech (8-3, 4-3) at Scott Stadium.Hunter Dazzles as 'Hoos Stay UnbeatenMen's Basketball11/19/17Behind a career-high 23 points from redshirt freshman De'Andre Hunter, unbeaten Virginia defeated Monmouth 73-53 on Sunday at JPJ.'Hoos Rue Missed OpportunityFootball11/18/17On an afternoon when Kurt Benkert threw four touchdown passes, Virginia twice built 14-point leads before falling 44-28 to No. 2 Miami at Hard Rock Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Orange Wins Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 11/5/2017
For the third year in a row, Orange was crowned Orange and Blue World Series champions.
Jeff White: Sousa Has Unfinished Business at UVA
Baseball | 11/3/2017
Senior left-hander Bennett Sousa, who was 3-0 with a 4.09 ERA last season, will be a key member...
Inaugural Hall of Fame Class to be Inducted at 2018 Step Up ...
Baseball | 11/2/2017
The Virginia Baseball program will announce its inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class at...
Two-Run, Two-Out Rally Lifts Orange to Game 5 Victory
Baseball | 10/31/2017
Orange took control of the second portion of the seven-game Orange and Blue World Series with a 5...
Blue Takes First Three-Game Series with 5-0 Win in Game 3
Baseball | 10/29/2017
The Blue team captured the first three-game series based on run differential, but the Orange...
Orange & Blue World Series Schedule Changes
Baseball | 10/26/2017
The teams now will play Game 4 at 4 p.m. Saturday and Game 5 at 3:30 p.m. Monday
Orange Pulls Out Game 2 Victory, 5-4
Baseball | 10/24/2017
Nate Eikhoff went 2-for-3 with a homer and three RBI to lead the Orange, while Cameron Comer...
Orange Holds On For Game 1 Win, 3-2
Baseball | 10/20/2017
Jake McCarthy drove in all three of the Orange's runs in a 3-2 Game 1 win over the Blue.
- Online Stores