Thaiss goes No. 16 overall to Angels, Jones No. 70 to Cardinals
Thaiss and Jones named to second team, Haseley earns third-team honors
Virginia 17, William & Mary 4
Jones (first team), Thaiss and Smith (second team) and Clement (third team) earn honors
Cavaliers pile up 14 hits in series-opening win
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt in the CWS Finals
Images from UVa's run through College World Series and to the national title
Photos from Virginia's game against Arkansas on Saturday, June 13, 2015.
The team defeated Arkansas, 5-3 in the first round of the College World Series at Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska.
Relive all of the excitement by browsing some of the best images from the run to the College World Series.
• Selected in second round of 2016 MLB Draft by St. Louis Cardinals (No. 70 overall)
• Named First-Team All-American by ABCA and NCBWA; Second-Team All-America honoree by Baseball America, Collegiate Baseball and D1Baseball
• First-Team ABCA All-Atlantic Region honoree
• First-Team All-ACC honoree at starting pitcher
• Named semifinalist for Dick Howser Trophy and Golden Spikes Award (National Player of Year)
• Named to National Pitcher of Year watch list
• Named to Preseason All-America teams of D1Baseball (first team), Collegiate Baseball and Perfect Game (second team) and Baseball America (third team)
• Worked at least 6 1/3 innings in 18 of his last 24 starts
• Tied for fourth in career wins at UVA with 22
• Ranks eighth all-time at UVA with 274 IP
• Ranked fifth in ACC in innings (103.2), but first in innings per start (6.91)
• Tied for ACC lead in complete games (3), fourth in wins (11) and ninth in ERA (2.34); in ACC play, he had league-high nine wins and three complete games as opponents batted .209 against him (fifth in ACC)
• Twice was named ACC Pitcher of Week (4/11, 5/2)
• Matched then-career high in innings with eight shutout IP in first ACC start of the season at Duke (3/11)
• Fired 7 1/3 shutout innings and struck out season-high nine batters to earn win over Wake Forest (3/18)
• First UVA starter since Brandon Waddell in 2014 to record back-to-back scoreless outings in ACC play
• Allowed three runs (two earned) in 7 1/3 innings in win at Louisville (3/25)
• Named ACC Co-Pitcher of Week after first complete game of career resulted in a one-hit shutout in win at Boston College (4/8); lone hit was leadoff single in second inning
• Tossed four-hit complete game in win at Pitt; took one-hitter into ninth inning, allowing just an infield hit (4/30); named ACC Pitcher of Week after this outing
• Went the distance against Georgia Tech, becoming first UVA pitcher since Robert Morey in 2010 to fire back-to-back complete games
• Named to 2015 U.S. Collegiate National Team, although he withdrew after the College World Series
• Made 18 starts (tied for second most in program history)
• Made first 10 Game 2 starts for UVa in 2015; moved into Game 1 role in NC State series after Nathan Kirby’s injury
• After Kirby went down, Jones worked at least six innings in each of his last nine starts (4-1, 2.67 ERA, 64 IP, 54 K, .214 BAA); struck out seven or more in five of those games
• Led ACC in innings pitched with 115 2/3
• Ranked third in ACC in strikeouts (113); tied with Louisville’s Brendan McKay for ACC lead in strikeouts in ACC games (70)
• Ranked 10th in ACC in opponent batting (.226), 16th in ERA (3.19)
• Tied for team lead in wins (7)
• Worked twice in College World Series: earned win in opening game against Arkansas (6/13) and took loss against Vanderbilt in Game 1 of CWS Finals (6/22)
• Fired 5 2/3 scoreless innings before Vanderbilt broke scoreless tie against him
• Allowed three earned runs in six innings against Arkansas
• Fired seven innings in earning win against Maryland in Game 1 of super regional (6/5)
• Worked 7 2/3 innings of one-run baseball to pick up win in UVa’s NCAA tourney opener against USC (5/29); took shutout into eighth inning
• Worked seven innings, struck out 11 in at NC State (4/24); had shutout until three-run home run in seventh
• Recorded back-to-back 11-strikeout games vs. Miami and NC State – first Cavalier to record double-figure strikeouts in consecutive starts since Tyler Wilson in May 2011
• Led UVa freshmen with 25 appearances (24 out of bullpen); was second on team with 50 2/3 bullpen innings (54 2/3 total innings)
• Worked at least two innings in 16 of his 25 outings
• Tossed three scoreless innings in win over UNC (4/19)
• Recorded win with 4 2/3 scoreless innings of relief to finish game against Virginia Tech (3/29)
• Picked up both of UVa's wins at Miami; went three scoreless innings Sunday and one more Monday
• Worked career-long 4 2/3 innings in extra-inning victory over Boston College (3/15)
• Made midweek start vs. JMU and earned first win, allowing run and three hits (3/11)
• Induced game-ending double-play ball to earn save against Monmouth (3/1)
GREAT BRIDGE HIGH SCHOOL
• Selected by San Diego Padres in 21st round of 2013 MLB Draft
• Ranked No. 1 high school player in Virginia and No. 26 nationally by Perfect Game
• Named 2013 First-Team All-American by Rawlings and MaxPreps
• Tabbed 2013 Gatorade State Player of Year, VHSL AAA State Player of Year and MaxPreps AAA Baseball Player of Year
• Named First-Team All-State in 2013
• Earned 2013 Southeastern District, Eastern Region and Tidewater Player of Year honors
• Named 2013 First-Team All-Tidewater and All-Southeastern District
• Finished four-year varsity career with 22-3 record, two saves, 1.68 ERA and opponent batting average of .179
• Went 10-1 with 0.00 ERA in 2013 regular season (0.55 season ERA)
• Fired 10 shutouts in 2013
• Finished with 5-0 career record in playoffs; winning pitcher in 2011 Virginia AAA state championship game
• Was 2012 First Team Under Armour All-American
• Winning pitcher in 2012 Under Armour All-America Game at Wrigley Field
• Coached by Sean Townsend at Great Bridge
• Also competed on swimming team his freshman and sophomore years
• Placed seventh in region and second in district in 50m freestyle his sophomore year
• 2012-2013 Chesapeake Scholar-Athlete
• Member of National Honor Society and Student Council
• Finished with 3.68 GPA
• Was junior class president
• Played travel team baseball with EvoShield Canes
• Parents are Wes and Kim Jones
• Has one sister, Taylor
• Grandfather, Jim Durham, played baseball at Rider (1960-63); aunt Kristen Durham played women's basketball at Tennessee (1987-89) and was National Gatorade Player of Year coming out of high school
New Coaches Welcomed Into Cavaliers' FoldWomen's Rowing8/18/17Virginia's rowing team heads into 2017-18 with two new coaches: associate head coach Emily Ford and assistant Erin Neppel.Nelson Making Name for Himself in SecondaryFootball8/16/17Redshirt freshman Brenton Nelson, who was put on scholarship this month, is competing for a starting job in Virginia's nickel defense.DeSorbo Hits Ground Running at UVASwimming & Diving8/16/17After six seasons as NC State's associate head coach, Todd DeSorbo now oversees men's and women's swimming & diving at Virginia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia's Summer Baseball Wrapup
Baseball | 8/16/2017
Rising junior Daniel Lynch had a breakout summer while playing for the Orleans Firebirds and was ...
Jeff White: UVA Greats Enjoying Reunion in D.C.
Baseball | 7/28/2017
Ryan Zimmerman and Sean Doolittle, who were teammates at UVA in 2005, now play together on the...
Cavaliers in the Pros: All-Star Break Update
Baseball | 7/12/2017
For the third straight season, 11 former Virginia baseball players have seen time at the Major...
Summer Baseball Update
Baseball | 7/11/2017
Virginia's Bobby Nicholson (NECBL) and Grant Donahue (PGCBL) each were named their respective...
Three Cavaliers Named to All-ACC Academic Team
Baseball | 6/29/2017
Robbie Coman, Tommy Doyle and Chesdin Harrington each were named to the all-academic team for the...
Cavaliers Competing in Summer Baseball Leagues
Baseball | 6/15/2017
The Cavaliers have spread out across the country to play in wood-bat summer leagues as they...
Haseley, Doyle Earn All-America Honors
Baseball | 06/15/2017
Adam Haseley and Tommy Doyle each earned All-America honors from the NBCWA.
Bennett Sousa Selected on Final Day of MLB Draft
Baseball | 06/14/2017
The sixth Cavalier to be selected in the 2017 MLB Draft, Sousa was picked in the 34th round (No. ...
- Online Stores