Jones (first team), Thaiss and Smith (second team) and Clement (third team) earn honors
Cavaliers pile up 14 hits in series-opening win
Alec Bettinger tosses first career complete game as Cavaliers win eighth straight
Jones tosses third complete game in last five starts and improves to 10-1
Virginia junior fired four-hit complete game last Saturday at Pitt
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt in the CWS Finals
Images from UVa's run through College World Series and to the national title
Photos from Virginia's game against Arkansas on Saturday, June 13, 2015.
The team defeated Arkansas, 5-3 in the first round of the College World Series at Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska.
Relive all of the excitement by browsing some of the best images from the run to the College World Series.
• Named to 2015 U.S. Collegiate National Team, although he withdrew after the College World Series
• Made 18 starts (tied for second most in program history)
• Made first 10 Game 2 starts for UVa in 2015; moved into Game 1 role in NC State series after Nathan Kirby’s injury
• After Kirby went down, Jones worked at least six innings in each of his last nine starts (4-1, 2.67 ERA, 64 IP, 54 K, .214 BAA); struck out seven or more in five of those games
• Led ACC in innings pitched with 115 2/3
• Ranked third in ACC in strikeouts (113); tied with Louisville’s Brendan McKay for ACC lead in strikeouts in ACC games (70)
• Ranked 10th in ACC in opponent batting (.226), 16th in ERA (3.19)
• Tied for team lead in wins (7)
• Worked twice in College World Series: earned win in opening game against Arkansas (6/13) and took loss against Vanderbilt in Game 1 of CWS Finals (6/22)
• Fired 5 2/3 scoreless innings before Vanderbilt broke scoreless tie against him
• Allowed three earned runs in six innings against Arkansas
• Fired seven innings in earning win against Maryland in Game 1 of super regional (6/5)
• Worked 7 2/3 innings of one-run baseball to pick up win in UVa’s NCAA tourney opener against USC (5/29); took shutout into eighth inning
• Worked seven innings, struck out 11 in at NC State (4/24); had shutout until three-run home run in seventh
• Recorded back-to-back 11-strikeout games vs. Miami and NC State – first Cavalier to record double-figure strikeouts in consecutive starts since Tyler Wilson in May 2011
• Led UVa freshmen with 25 appearances (24 out of bullpen); was second on team with 50 2/3 bullpen innings (54 2/3 total innings)
• Worked at least two innings in 16 of his 25 outings
• Tossed three scoreless innings in win over UNC (4/19)
• Recorded win with 4 2/3 scoreless innings of relief to finish game against Virginia Tech (3/29)
• Picked up both of UVa's wins at Miami; went three scoreless innings Sunday and one more Monday
• Worked career-long 4 2/3 innings in extra-inning victory over Boston College (3/15)
• Made midweek start vs. JMU and earned first win, allowing run and three hits (3/11)
• Induced game-ending double-play ball to earn save against Monmouth (3/1)
GREAT BRIDGE HIGH SCHOOL
• Selected by San Diego Padres in 21st round of 2013 MLB Draft
• Ranked No. 1 high school player in Virginia and No. 26 nationally by Perfect Game
• Named 2013 First-Team All-American by Rawlings and MaxPreps
• Tabbed 2013 Gatorade State Player of Year, VHSL AAA State Player of Year and MaxPreps AAA Baseball Player of Year
• Named First-Team All-State in 2013
• Earned 2013 Southeastern District, Eastern Region and Tidewater Player of Year honors
• Named 2013 First-Team All-Tidewater and All-Southeastern District
• Finished four-year varsity career with 22-3 record, two saves, 1.68 ERA and opponent batting average of .179
• Went 10-1 with 0.00 ERA in 2013 regular season (0.55 season ERA)
• Fired 10 shutouts in 2013
• Finished with 5-0 career record in playoffs; winning pitcher in 2011 Virginia AAA state championship game
• Was 2012 First Team Under Armour All-American
• Winning pitcher in 2012 Under Armour All-America Game at Wrigley Field
• Coached by Sean Townsend at Great Bridge
• Also competed on swimming team his freshman and sophomore years
• Placed seventh in region and second in district in 50m freestyle his sophomore year
• 2012-2013 Chesapeake Scholar-Athlete
• Member of National Honor Society and Student Council
• Finished with 3.68 GPA
• Was junior class president
• Played travel team baseball with EvoShield Canes
• Parents are Wes and Kim Jones
• Has one sister, Taylor
• Grandfather, Jim Durham, played baseball at Rider (1960-63); aunt Kristen Durham played women's basketball at Tennessee (1987-89) and was National Gatorade Player of Year coming out of high school
Cavaliers' Reign Atop NCAA Tennis ContinuesMen's Tennis5/25/16With a 4-1 win over Oklahoma on Tuesday night, top-seeded Virginia captured its second straight NCAA men's title and third in four seasons.Mihaljevic's Star Continues to RiseTrack & Field, Cross Country5/24/16In junior Filip Mihaljevic, Virginia's track & field team has one of the nation's elite shot putters and discus throwers.Power Surge Contributing to Cavaliers' SuccessBaseball5/21/16Timely home runs helped No. 8 Virginia win the first two games of its series with ACC rival Virginia Tech at Davenport Field.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 3 Seed UVA Begins ACC Tournament Thursday
Baseball | 5/25/2016
The No. 3 seed Cavaliers face No. 6 seed Clemson Thursday, No. 10 Wake Forest Friday and No. 2 ...
Four Cavaliers Named to 2016 All-ACC Team
Baseball | 5/23/2016
Connor Jones earned first-team honors at starting pitcher to highlight the Cavaliers’ four ...
ACC Baseball Championship Schedule Announced
Baseball | 5/22/2016
After winning 12 of its final 15 ACC games, UVA ascended to the No. 3 seed and will play Clemson ...
No. 8 Virginia Sweeps Virginia Tech with 4-1 Win
Baseball | 5/21/2016
Haseley (8-3) tossed his first career complete game, allowing just an unearned run and two hits...
Jeff White: Power Surge Contributing to Success
Baseball | 5/21/2016
Timely home runs helped No. 8 Virginia win the first two games of its series with ACC rival...
No. 8 Virginia Walks Off with 7-6 Win over Virginia Tech
Baseball | 5/20/2016
Jack Gerstenmaier drew a bases-loaded walk in the ninth inning as Virginia walked off with the...
Jeff White: Versatile Doherty Delivers Again
Baseball | 05/20/2016
In the series opener, Kevin Doherty pitched four innings of scoreless relief in No. 8 Virginia's ...
No. 8 Virginia Rolls to 8-3 Win over Virginia Tech
Baseball | 05/19/2016
Virginia won for the ninth time in its last 10 games as starting pitcher Connor Jones improved to...
- Online Stores