Cavaliers win for 11th time in last 12 games
Cavaliers walk off on Gerstenmaier's ninth-inning, bases-loaded walk
Alec Bettinger tosses first career complete game as Cavaliers win eighth straight
Cavaliers win 9-1 to earn first series sweep of 2016
Cavaliers win opener, 5-1, before rallying in ninth to take Game 2, 7-6
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt in the CWS Finals
The Virginia Cavaliers vs. Florida Gators in the College World Series on June 6, 2015.
Virginia takes on Florida at the College World Series
• Selected in 36th round (1090 overall) by Detroit Tigers in 2015 MLB Draft
• Earned spot on All-College World Series Team
• Named Second-Team All-ACC
• Named to Brooks Wallace Award Watch List (nation’s top SS)
• Played in 67 of 68 games
• Had streak of 82 straight starts at shortstop snapped April 22 (left Longwood game on April 21 in second inning after getting hit in chin by a pitch)
• Led team and ranked fifth in ACC in runs scored (60), a total which tied for fifth most in program history
• Led team in stolen bases (9) and sacrifice bunts (14)
• Belted six home runs after hitting none during freshman season
• Hit .391 (9-for-23) and scored four runs with .462 OBP in College World Series (all team highs)
• Was 3-for-4 with three stolen bases in College World Series opener against Arkansas (6/13)
• Went 5-for-10 in UVa’s three games against Florida at CWS
• Hit home run and drove in career-high four runs against Georgia Tech in ACC Tournament (5/19)
• Hit go-ahead, two-out, two-run single in eighth inning of win over Richmond (5/12)
• Was 3-for-3 and matched career high with four runs scored and reached base five times in win at Notre Dame (3/28)
• Recorded career-high four hits, including home run, in win over Pitt (3/8)
• Third-Team All-ACC honoree at shortstop
• Named a Freshman All-American by Collegiate Baseball
• Named to All-ACC Academic Baseball Team
• Started 68 of UVa's 69 games at shortstop
• Led team with 20 sacrifice bunts (first in ACC, sixth nationally)
• Committed just nine errors in 274 chances (.967 fielding percentage)
• First UVa freshman to start season opener at shortstop since Mark Reynolds in 2002
• Batted .250 (13-for-52) in NCAA tournament; was 6-for-12 with team-high six runs scored in super regional vs. Maryland
• Was 4-for-14 in CWS Finals against Vanderbilt, including 3-hit day in Game 1
• Was 2-for-10 in ACC tournament
• Went 4-for-12 in Wake Forest series
• Was 3-for-12 in Georgia Tech series; stole third during intentional BB in 11th inning of Game 2 to set up winning run
• 4-for-12 in Florida State series
• Had three hits in 10 ABs in Clemson series; reached base safely in all four Sunday PAs (three BB, one single)
• Was 4-for-10 with three sac bunts in Miami series
• Went 3-for-4 with two RBI in first start in 2-hole in win over JMU (3/11)
• Selected in 20th round of 2013 MLB Draft by Houston Astros
• Played on Canada's Junior National Team in 2011-12 which placed second in 18U World Baseball Championships in Seoul, South Korea
• Played for Ontario Blue Jays travel team and led team with .434 batting average
• Also led team in hits, doubles, triples, homers, RBI, slugging and on-base percentage
• Hit team-high eight home runs with Blue Jays, setting a team record
• Named to Perfect Game's Top 500 list for 2013 MLB Draft; also named one of Canada's
top five prospects for 2013 draft
• Named best first baseman at 18U World Baseball Qualification Championships in Cartagena, Colombia
• Also named to all-tournament team at qualification championships
• Also played basketball (point guard) in high school; averaged 20.1 points per game over his four years
• Named team MVP in both baseball and basketball
• Honor Roll student
• Played travel team baseball with Ontario Blue Jays
• Parents are Reinaldo Pinero and Elena Vojmina
• Has one sister, Natacha Pinero
Transfers Eager to Help Lift ProgramFootball5/26/16UVA's football team added three transfers this spring: quarterback Kurt Benkert, offensive guard Jared Cohen and defensive end Jack Powers.Cavaliers' Reign Atop NCAA ContinuesMen's Tennis5/25/16With a 4-1 win over Oklahoma on Tuesday night, top-seeded Virginia captured its second straight NCAA men's title and third in four seasons.Mihaljevic's Star Continues to RiseTrack & Field, Cross Country5/24/16In junior Filip Mihaljevic, Virginia's track & field team has one of the nation's elite shot putters and discus throwers.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 7 Virginia Falls to No. 12 Clemson, 5-4
Baseball | 5/26/2016
Matt Thaiss and Daniel Pinero each homered and went 2-for-3 for the Cavaliers in the narrow setback.
NCAA Regional, Super Regional Ticket Books On Sale Friday
Baseball | 5/26/2016
Potential Regional would be played June 3-6 at Davenport Field, Super Regional June 10-12 or 11-13.
No. 3 Seed UVA Begins ACC Tournament Thursday
Baseball | 5/25/2016
The No. 3 seed Cavaliers face No. 6 seed Clemson Thursday, No. 10 Wake Forest Friday and No. 2 ...
Four Cavaliers Named to 2016 All-ACC Team
Baseball | 5/23/2016
Connor Jones earned first-team honors at starting pitcher to highlight the Cavaliers’ four ...
ACC Baseball Championship Schedule Announced
Baseball | 5/22/2016
After winning 12 of its final 15 ACC games, UVA ascended to the No. 3 seed and will play Clemson ...
No. 8 Virginia Sweeps Virginia Tech with 4-1 Win
Baseball | 5/21/2016
Haseley (8-3) tossed his first career complete game, allowing just an unearned run and two hits...
Jeff White: Power Surge Contributing to Success
Baseball | 05/21/2016
Timely home runs helped No. 8 Virginia win the first two games of its series with ACC rival...
No. 8 Virginia Walks Off with 7-6 Win over Virginia Tech
Baseball | 05/20/2016
Jack Gerstenmaier drew a bases-loaded walk in the ninth inning as Virginia walked off with the...
- Online Stores