Cavaliers win 9-1 to earn first series sweep of 2016
Cavaliers win opener, 5-1, before rallying in ninth to take Game 2, 7-6
Cavaliers earn seventh straight series win over Hurricanes.
Cavaliers score five runs in first and hold on for series-opening win
Cavaliers take series, two games to one
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt in the CWS Finals
The Virginia Cavaliers vs. Florida Gators in the College World Series on June 6, 2015.
Virginia takes on Florida at the College World Series
• Selected in 36th round (1090 overall) by Detroit Tigers in 2015 MLB Draft
• Earned spot on All-College World Series Team
• Named Second-Team All-ACC
• Named to Brooks Wallace Award Watch List (nation’s top SS)
• Played in 67 of 68 games
• Had streak of 82 straight starts at shortstop snapped April 22 (left Longwood game on April 21 in second inning after getting hit in chin by a pitch)
• Led team and ranked fifth in ACC in runs scored (60), a total which tied for fifth most in program history
• Led team in stolen bases (9) and sacrifice bunts (14)
• Belted six home runs after hitting none during freshman season
• Hit .391 (9-for-23) and scored four runs with .462 OBP in College World Series (all team highs)
• Was 3-for-4 with three stolen bases in College World Series opener against Arkansas (6/13)
• Went 5-for-10 in UVa’s three games against Florida at CWS
• Hit home run and drove in career-high four runs against Georgia Tech in ACC Tournament (5/19)
• Hit go-ahead, two-out, two-run single in eighth inning of win over Richmond (5/12)
• Was 3-for-3 and matched career high with four runs scored and reached base five times in win at Notre Dame (3/28)
• Recorded career-high four hits, including home run, in win over Pitt (3/8)
• Third-Team All-ACC honoree at shortstop
• Named a Freshman All-American by Collegiate Baseball
• Named to All-ACC Academic Baseball Team
• Started 68 of UVa's 69 games at shortstop
• Led team with 20 sacrifice bunts (first in ACC, sixth nationally)
• Committed just nine errors in 274 chances (.967 fielding percentage)
• First UVa freshman to start season opener at shortstop since Mark Reynolds in 2002
• Batted .250 (13-for-52) in NCAA tournament; was 6-for-12 with team-high six runs scored in super regional vs. Maryland
• Was 4-for-14 in CWS Finals against Vanderbilt, including 3-hit day in Game 1
• Was 2-for-10 in ACC tournament
• Went 4-for-12 in Wake Forest series
• Was 3-for-12 in Georgia Tech series; stole third during intentional BB in 11th inning of Game 2 to set up winning run
• 4-for-12 in Florida State series
• Had three hits in 10 ABs in Clemson series; reached base safely in all four Sunday PAs (three BB, one single)
• Was 4-for-10 with three sac bunts in Miami series
• Went 3-for-4 with two RBI in first start in 2-hole in win over JMU (3/11)
• Selected in 20th round of 2013 MLB Draft by Houston Astros
• Played on Canada's Junior National Team in 2011-12 which placed second in 18U World Baseball Championships in Seoul, South Korea
• Played for Ontario Blue Jays travel team and led team with .434 batting average
• Also led team in hits, doubles, triples, homers, RBI, slugging and on-base percentage
• Hit team-high eight home runs with Blue Jays, setting a team record
• Named to Perfect Game's Top 500 list for 2013 MLB Draft; also named one of Canada's
top five prospects for 2013 draft
• Named best first baseman at 18U World Baseball Qualification Championships in Cartagena, Colombia
• Also named to all-tournament team at qualification championships
• Also played basketball (point guard) in high school; averaged 20.1 points per game over his four years
• Named team MVP in both baseball and basketball
• Honor Roll student
• Played travel team baseball with Ontario Blue Jays
• Parents are Reinaldo Pinero and Elena Vojmina
• Has one sister, Natacha Pinero
Margin of Error Gone for CavaliersMen's Lacrosse4/29/16To become eligible for an NCAA men's lacrosse tournament bid, Virginia (7-7) must upset second-ranked Brown (13-1) on Saturday night.UVA Spring Football NotebookFootball4/27/16With spring practice over, Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall and his assistants have turned their focus to recruiting.Cavaliers Push On With Heavy HeartsBaseball4/25/16No. 21 Virginia, coming off an emotionally draining weekend in Coral Gables, Fla., meets ODU at noon Tuesday in Norfolk at Harbor Park.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 13 Virginia Defeats Liberty for Sixth Straight Win, 7-3
Baseball | 5/3/2016
Virginia scored its sixth straight win and completed its eight-game road trip – the program...
No. 13 Virginia Travels to Liberty Tuesday
Baseball | 5/2/2016
Connor Jones Named ACC Pitcher of the Week
Baseball | 5/2/2016
It marks Jones' second such honor in the last four weeks. He also earned the distinction on April...
No. 21 Virginia Defeats Pitt to Sweep Series
Baseball | 5/1/2016
Adam Haseley pitched eight shutout innings as the Cavaliers recorded their first series sweep of ...
No. 21 Virginia Sweeps Doubleheader at Pitt
Baseball | 4/30/2016
Winners of three straight ACC series, Virginia goes for the three-game series sweep against the...
Q&A with Ernie Clement
Baseball | 4/30/2016
Clement talked about his team's recent run against ACC teams, his outlook on the rest of the...
No. 21 Virginia Heads to Pitt for ACC Weekend Series
Baseball | 04/29/2016
Virginia and Pitt start series at 1 p.m. Saturday with doubleheader at Charles L. Cost Field.
No. 21 Virginia Rallies to Defeat Old Dominion, 8-4
Baseball | 04/26/2016
Virginia scored eight unanswered runs while the bullpen combination of Tyler Shambora and Kevin...
- Online Stores