Virginia shortstop taken 265th overall by Detroit Tigers
Virginia 17, William & Mary 4
Cavaliers rack up 20 hits in win over William & Mary
O’Connor becomes winningest coach in program history with 595th career win
Cavaliers win for 11th time in last 12 games
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt in the CWS Finals
The Virginia Cavaliers vs. Florida Gators in the College World Series on June 6, 2015.
Virginia takes on Florida at the College World Series
• Selected in ninth round of 2016 MLB Draft by Detroit Tigers (No. 265 overall); it was the third time in which he was drafted
• Has started 194 of UVA’s 197 games over last three seasons, including 59 of 60 in 2016
• Started season slow, going 3-for-26 (.115) over first seven games, but hit .371 since (69-for-186)
• Batted team-best .414 (29-70) over last 18 games
• Tied for team lead with 39 walks; finished with 115 career walks, which ranks sixth in UVA history
• Led team with 20 doubles (ninth in ACC)
• Was 10-for-17 with six runs, six RBI in four games during week of March 1-6 against William & Mary and Monmouth
• Went 3-for-9 with three runs, three walks in UNC series; hit go-ahead three-run double in Game 3
• Had good series at Miami, going 4-for-10 with pair of RBI; was 3-for-4 and hit first HR of season in series finale
• Was 5-for-12 in Pitt series
• Went 7-for-12 in Virginia Tech series
• Named to ACC All-Tournament Team after going 5-for-11 with four runs, four RBI
• Named to NCAA Charlottesville Regional All-Tournament Team after going 5-for-12 with five runs in regional
• Selected in 36th round (1090 overall) by Detroit Tigers in 2015 MLB Draft
• Earned spot on All-College World Series Team
• Named Second-Team All-ACC
• Named to Brooks Wallace Award Watch List (nation’s top SS)
• Played in 67 of 68 games
• Had streak of 82 straight starts at shortstop snapped April 22 (left Longwood game on April 21 in second inning after getting hit in chin by a pitch)
• Led team and ranked fifth in ACC in runs scored (60), a total which tied for fifth most in program history
• Led team in stolen bases (9) and sacrifice bunts (14)
• Belted six home runs after hitting none during freshman season
• Hit .391 (9-for-23) and scored four runs with .462 OBP in College World Series (all team highs)
• Was 3-for-4 with three stolen bases in College World Series opener against Arkansas (6/13)
• Went 5-for-10 in UVA’s three games against Florida at CWS
• Hit home run and drove in career-high four runs against Georgia Tech in ACC Tournament (5/19)
• Hit go-ahead, two-out, two-run single in eighth inning of win over Richmond (5/12)
• Was 3-for-3 and matched career high with four runs scored and reached base five times in win at Notre Dame (3/28)
• Recorded career-high four hits, including home run, in win over Pitt (3/8)
• Third-Team All-ACC honoree at shortstop
• Named a Freshman All-American by Collegiate Baseball
• Named to All-ACC Academic Baseball Team
• Started 68 of UVa's 69 games at shortstop
• Led team with 20 sacrifice bunts (first in ACC, sixth nationally)
• Committed just nine errors in 274 chances (.967 fielding percentage)
• First UVa freshman to start season opener at shortstop since Mark Reynolds in 2002
• Batted .250 (13-for-52) in NCAA tournament; was 6-for-12 with team-high six runs scored in super regional vs. Maryland
• Was 4-for-14 in CWS Finals against Vanderbilt, including 3-hit day in Game 1
• Was 3-for-12 in Georgia Tech series; stole third during intentional BB in 11th inning of Game 2 to set up winning run
• Had three hits in 10 ABs in Clemson series; reached base safely in all four Sunday PAs (three BB, one single)
• Selected in 20th round of 2013 MLB Draft by Houston Astros
• Played on Canada's Junior National Team in 2011-12 which placed second in 18U World Baseball Championships in Seoul, South Korea
• Played for Ontario Blue Jays travel team and led team with .434 batting average
• Also led team in hits, doubles, triples, homers, RBI, slugging and on-base percentage
• Hit team-high eight home runs with Blue Jays, setting a team record
• Named to Perfect Game's Top 500 list for 2013 MLB Draft; also named one of Canada's
top five prospects for 2013 draft
• Named best first baseman at 18U World Baseball Qualification Championships in Cartagena, Colombia
• Also named to all-tournament team at qualification championships
• Also played basketball (point guard) in high school; averaged 20.1 points per game over his four years
• Named team MVP in both baseball and basketball
• Honor Roll student
• Played travel team baseball with Ontario Blue Jays
• Parents are Reinaldo Pinero and Elena Vojmina
• Has one sister, Natacha Pinero
Summer Buildup Begins in EarnestMen's Basketball6/28/16The Virginia men's basketball team, which will travel to Spain in August, held its first practice of the summer Tuesday at JPJ.O'Leary Takes Unusual Path to OlympicsWomen's Rowing6/27/16Meghan O'Leary, who played softball and volleyball at UVA, will represent the United States in rowing at the Olympics this summer.Tiffany Plans to Push Pace at UVAMen's Lacrosse6/21/16New men's lacrosse coach Lars Tiffany comes to Virginia from Brown, which went 16-3 and led the nation in scoring this season.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Cavaliers Competing in Summer Baseball Leagues
Baseball | 6/16/2016
Members of the Virginia baseball team have fanned out from coast to coast to compete in summer...
Pinero Selected by Tigers in Ninth Round of MLB Draft
Baseball | 6/10/2016
Pinero was drafted for the third time. He was a 20th-round pick coming out of high school in 2013...
Thaiss, Jones Selected on Day One of MLB Draft
Baseball | 6/10/2016
Thaiss was a first-round selection, going No. 16 overall to the Angels. Jones was a second-round ...
Trio Named All-Americans by Baseball America
Baseball | 6/7/2016
Connor Jones and Matt Thaiss were second-team honorees, while Adam Haseley was a third-team pick.
Jeff White: Wahoos' Season Ends on Painful Note
Baseball | 6/5/2016
Defending NCAA champion Virginia lost Sunday to William & Mary at Davenport Field to finish the...
Virginia Season Ends With 5-4 Loss to W&M
Baseball | 6/5/2016
Daniel Pinero and Jack Gerstenmaier each had three hits for UVA, which finished with a dozen hits...
Jeff White: Cavaliers' Margin for Error Gone
Baseball | 06/05/2016
In the NCAA regional at Davenport Field, top-seeded Virginia meets No. 4 seed William & Mary in...
Sunday NCAA Regional Schedule Altered
Baseball | 06/04/2016
Virginia plays William & Mary at 11 a.m. Sunday, while East Carolina faces the winner at 3 p.m.
- Online Stores