Cavaliers win opener, 12-3, over La Salle before dropping nightcap to Niagara
Cavaliers improve to 6-0 on the young season
Sperling allows no earned runs in six innings in UVA debut
• Played in 10 games, including seven starts (four in ACC play)
• Went 1-for-3 in start at Clemson (3/18); started behind the plate in each of the final two games at Clemson
• Recorded two hits and two RBI in first start against Rutgers (2/25)
• Also drove in runs against The Citadel (2/18) and Rutgers (2/26)
GULL LAKE HIGH SCHOOL
• Three-time all-state honoree and twice named to Michigan's All-State Dream Team (all divisions)
• Finished with school records in batting average (.468), RBI (140), triples (12) and putouts (578); also had 171 hits, including eight home runs
• Named All-Southwest Michigan Athletic Conference each of his four years
• Was a four-time all-area and all-district selection
• Was named a team captain his junior and senior seasons
• Coached by his father, Bill, at Gull Lake HS
• Also a standout student; earned an MHSAA Scholar-Athlete Award (presented to 32 student-athletes from state of Michigan)
• Named to National Honor Society as well as Highest Honor Roll
• Son of Bill and Gretchen Blakely
• Has one sister, Elise
Hunter Dazzles as 'Hoos Stay UnbeatenMen's Basketball11/19/17Behind a career-high 23 points from redshirt freshman De'Andre Hunter, unbeaten Virginia defeated Monmouth 73-53 on Sunday at JPJ.'Hoos Rue Missed OpportunityFootball11/18/17On an afternoon when Kurt Benkert threw four touchdown passes, Virginia twice built 14-point leads before falling 44-28 to No. 2 Miami at Hard Rock Stadium.Cavalier Football Notebook -- Miami WeekFootball11/16/17Two regular-season games remain for Virginia (6-4 overall, 3-3 ACC), which plays No. 2 Miami (9-0, 6-0) at noon Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Orange Wins Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 11/5/2017
For the third year in a row, Orange was crowned Orange and Blue World Series champions.
Jeff White: Sousa Has Unfinished Business at UVA
Baseball | 11/3/2017
Senior left-hander Bennett Sousa, who was 3-0 with a 4.09 ERA last season, will be a key member...
Inaugural Hall of Fame Class to be Inducted at 2018 Step Up ...
Baseball | 11/2/2017
The Virginia Baseball program will announce its inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class at...
Two-Run, Two-Out Rally Lifts Orange to Game 5 Victory
Baseball | 10/31/2017
Orange took control of the second portion of the seven-game Orange and Blue World Series with a 5...
Blue Takes First Three-Game Series with 5-0 Win in Game 3
Baseball | 10/29/2017
The Blue team captured the first three-game series based on run differential, but the Orange...
Orange & Blue World Series Schedule Changes
Baseball | 10/26/2017
The teams now will play Game 4 at 4 p.m. Saturday and Game 5 at 3:30 p.m. Monday
Orange Pulls Out Game 2 Victory, 5-4
Baseball | 10/24/2017
Nate Eikhoff went 2-for-3 with a homer and three RBI to lead the Orange, while Cameron Comer...
Orange Holds On For Game 1 Win, 3-2
Baseball | 10/20/2017
Jake McCarthy drove in all three of the Orange's runs in a 3-2 Game 1 win over the Blue.
- Online Stores