Cavaliers win opener, 12-3, over La Salle before dropping nightcap to Niagara
Cavaliers improve to 6-0 on the young season
Sperling allows no earned runs in six innings in UVA debut
• Played in 10 games, including seven starts (four in ACC play)
• Went 1-for-3 in start at Clemson (3/18); started behind the plate in each of the final two games at Clemson
• Recorded two hits and two RBI in first start against Rutgers (2/25)
• Also drove in runs against The Citadel (2/18) and Rutgers (2/26)
GULL LAKE HIGH SCHOOL
• Three-time all-state honoree and twice named to Michigan's All-State Dream Team (all divisions)
• Finished with school records in batting average (.468), RBI (140), triples (12) and putouts (578); also had 171 hits, including eight home runs
• Named All-Southwest Michigan Athletic Conference each of his four years
• Was a four-time all-area and all-district selection
• Was named a team captain his junior and senior seasons
• Coached by his father, Bill, at Gull Lake HS
• Also a standout student; earned an MHSAA Scholar-Athlete Award (presented to 32 student-athletes from state of Michigan)
• Named to National Honor Society as well as Highest Honor Roll
• Son of Bill and Gretchen Blakely
• Has one sister, Elise
Spring Football NotebookFootball4/20/18As part of the inaugural Wahoowa Weekend, spring football concludes for the Cavaliers with an open practice April 28 at Scott Stadium.Thompson Ready To Lead From FrontWomen's Basketball4/18/18The mood was celebratory Wednesday afternoon at John Paul Jones Arena, where Tina Thompson was introduced as UVA's women's basketball coach.Walsh Ready to Lead 'Hoos in PostseasonMen's Golf4/18/18Healthy again after battling back problems for much of 2017, Thomas Walsh enters this weekend's ACC tournament in good form.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Evens Series Behind Strong Pitching
Baseball | 4/21/2018
Daniel Lynch and reliever Bennett Sousa shut down Louisville over the final six innings in a 5-4...
Louisville Takes Opener With Late Rally
Baseball | 4/20/2018
Danny Oriente doubled in two runs in the eighth inning to help, Louisville prevail, 5-4 over...
Virginia Travels to Louisville for Three-Game Series
Baseball | 4/19/2018
Virginia will continue its Atlantic Coast Conference schedule this weekend with a three-game road...
Virginia Powers Past Liberty, 14-3
Baseball | 4/18/2018
A four-run second inning and a five-run seventh aided Virginia to an 14-3 victory over Liberty.
Virginia Walks-off against GW in 12th
Baseball | 4/17/2018
Brendan Rivoli doubled in the winning run in the bottom of the 12th inning in a 3-2 midweek win.
Virginia Baseball Signs John “Parker” Staples
Baseball | 4/16/2018
Virginia head baseball coach Brian O’Connor announced the signing of nine-year-old John ...
Pair of Midweeks Close Out Virginia Home Stand
Baseball | 04/16/2018
Virginia hosts George Washington on Tuesday and Liberty on Wednesday to conclude home stand.
No. 22 UNC Sweeps DH to Clinch Series
Baseball | 04/14/2018
North Carolina clinched its third-straight ACC series with a 12-5 victory over Virginia in the...
- Online Stores