Five Virginia players selected in first 10 rounds of draft
Casey works seven strong innings as UVA moves on to face TCU/CCSU winner
Cavaliers score eight runs in first inning and get seven strong innings from Daniel Lynch
Haseley and Smith earn first-team honors
Cavaliers win sixth straight ACC series
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt in the CWS Finals
The Virginia Cavaliers vs. Florida Gators in the College World Series on June 6, 2015.
Virginia takes on Florida at the College World Series
• Finished with 745 career at bats (11th in program history)
• Struck out just 31 times in 745 career at bats
• Named 2016 Cape Cod Summer League MVP
• Selected in fourth round of MLB Draft by Cleveland Indians (No. 132 overall)
• Third-Team All-ACC at SS (second team at 2B in 2016)
• 2017 Preseason All-American (first team by D1Baseball, second team by Baseball America)
• Ranked as toughest to strike out in the nation (36.3 AB/K; seven strikeouts in 254 AB)
• Recorded 26 multiple-hit games (third on team)
• Went 2-for-10 in NCAA tournament and scored four runs
• Was 4-for-9 in ACC tournament
• Had career-best 17-game hit streak snapped on March 7 (dated to the 2016 ACC Tournament)
• Also had 10-game hit streak from March 11-26
• Was 7-for-16 with seven runs in Georgia Tech series
• Went 4-for-10 with four runs in Louisville series
• Had five hits in Duke, Notre Dame and Miami series
• Was 3-for-5 with home run and career-high four RBI in win over Rutgers (2/26)
• Third-Team All-ACC selection at second base
• Played in all 60 games (45 starts at 2B, 15 in CF); hit in leadoff slot in last 18 games (first 42 in 2-hole)
• Third in ACC in hits (92) and runs (62), 14th in batting (.351)
• Ranks third in UVA history in single-season hits and fifth in single-season runs
• Struck out 12 times in 262 AB; ranked fourth toughest to strike out nationally (1 every 21.8 AB)
• Ranks 16th nationally in hits, 17th in sac bunts (14) and 18th in runs
• Recorded four hit streaks of eight games or more
• Had career-long 12-game hit streak snapped April 24 and 11-game streak broken May 21
• Second on team with 26 multiple-hit games (12 in 62 games in 2015)
• Reached 50 hits in 33 games (fastest at UVA since Phil Gosselin did it in 31 games in 2010)
• Went 5-for-12 in Duke series
• Was 5-for-14 with pair of doubles in Boston College series
• Went 5-for-13 in North Carolina series
• Was 6-for-14 with four runs in Pitt series
• Went 5-for-15 with four runs in Georgia Tech series
• Was 6-for-15 (.400) with home run, four RBI in NCAA regional
• Played in 62 games and started 61 (22 CF, 39 2B)
• Named to All-College World Series Team
• Ranked fifth toughest nationally to strike out (12 K in 260 PA; 1 K per 19.1 AB)
• Batted .292 (7-for-24) in CWS (second best on team)
• Recorded the go-ahead hit in three of UVa’s 10 NCAA tournament wins (11-for-42 with seven RBI in tournament)
• Went 3-for-4 and drove in eventual game-winning run with sixth-inning single in Game 2 of CWS Finals (6/23)
• Hit 2-run walk-off single in Game 2 of NCAA Super Regional against Maryland to send Virginia to College World Series (6/6)
• Had two key hits in NCAA Regional: 2-run double in ninth inning vs. USC in opener (5/29) and go-ahead RBI single in eighth inning vs. San Diego State (5/30)
• Led team with 11 HBP and second with nine sacrifice bunts
• Recorded four hits in win over Marist (2/22)
• Homered to lead off La Salle game (2/21)
• Missed his first game April 15 vs. William & Mary because of hamstring injury and was out for seven games
• Started first 21 games of season in center field
• Excelled in baseball and hockey during high school career
• Three-time All-New York State Team, All-Conference and All-Greater Rochester
• Twice named Rochester City Athletic Conference Player of the Year; named league MVP his junior and senior seasons
• Holds school's career records for plate appearances (329), batting average (.464), singles (87), doubles (34) and stolen bases (38); also holds single-season record for batting average (.560) and runs scored (28)
• Two-time team MVP
• Coached by Jason Wasserman
• Also played four years of hockey and one year of soccer
• Was two-time Bowman Cup Team Selection (best hockey players from Rochester and Buffalo areas)
• Led his team in scoring his last two seasons and led league in scoring his senior year while earning All-Greater Rochester honors his senior season
• Awarded the Hopps Senior Male Athletic Achievement Award (awarded to high school senior male who demonstrates athletic ability, good character and sportsmanship)
• Played travel team baseball with East Coast Grays
• Parents are Peter and Julie Clement
• Has two sisters, Glennie and Ellie
• Father played rugby at St. Lawrence University, while mother played soccer at Babson College
• Cousin, Abby Clement, ran track at UVA
Davenport Field Ready for UnveilingBaseball2/20/18No. 15 Virginia hosts VMI at 5 p.m. Tuesday at Davenport Field, which has been expanded and upgraded since the end of last season.Prime Opportunity Eludes CavaliersWomen's Basketball2/18/18Virginia, which lost Sunday to ACC rival Miami at John Paul Jones Arena, has two regular-season games remaining, both on the road.Jackson Comfortable in Leading RoleWomen's Lacrosse2/16/18As a sophomore last season, Maggie Jackson led the Cavaliers in points, ground balls and draw controls and tied for the lead in assists.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Big Inning Dooms No. 18 Virginia in Home Opener
Baseball | 2/20/2018
No. 18 Virginia (2-2) set a new home opener attendance record in a 9-4 loss to VMI.
Disharoon Park is now the Home of Virginia Baseball
Baseball | 2/20/2018
The University of Virginia department of athletics and the Virginia Athletics Foundation...
Jeff White: Davenport Field Ready for Unveiling
Baseball | 2/20/2018
No. 15 Virginia hosts VMI at 5 p.m. Tuesday at Davenport Field, which has been expanded and...
Baseball Home Opener Start Time Moved to 5 p.m.
Baseball | 2/19/2018
The first pitch for Virginia’s home opener against VMI on Tuesday (Feb.20) has been moved...
Virginia Opens Home Slate Tuesday
Baseball | 2/19/2018
Virginia (2-1) will play its first home game of the season on Tuesday (Feb. 20) against VMI (1-2)...
Sperling's Gem Leads No. 18 Virginia Past Rice
Baseball | 2/18/2018
Junior Evan Sperling (Poquoson, Va.) surrendered one hit and struck out nine batters as No. 18...
No. 18 Virginia Downs Samford for First Win
Baseball | 02/17/2018
Powered by 14 hits and five runs over its last two turns at the plate, No. 18 Virginia (1-1)...
Virginia Falls in Season Opener at UCF
Baseball | 02/16/2018
A two-run home run by Dallas Beaver in the bottom of the fifth inning proved to the difference in...
- Online Stores