Five Virginia players selected in first 10 rounds of draft
Casey works seven strong innings as UVA moves on to face TCU/CCSU winner
Cavaliers score eight runs in first inning and get seven strong innings from Daniel Lynch
Haseley and Smith earn first-team honors
Cavaliers win sixth straight ACC series
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt in the CWS Finals
The Virginia Cavaliers vs. Florida Gators in the College World Series on June 6, 2015.
Virginia takes on Florida at the College World Series
• Finished with 745 career at bats (11th in program history)
• Struck out just 31 times in 745 career at bats
• Named 2016 Cape Cod Summer League MVP
• Selected in fourth round of MLB Draft by Cleveland Indians (No. 132 overall)
• Third-Team All-ACC at SS (second team at 2B in 2016)
• 2017 Preseason All-American (first team by D1Baseball, second team by Baseball America)
• Ranked as toughest to strike out in the nation (36.3 AB/K; seven strikeouts in 254 AB)
• Recorded 26 multiple-hit games (third on team)
• Went 2-for-10 in NCAA tournament and scored four runs
• Was 4-for-9 in ACC tournament
• Had career-best 17-game hit streak snapped on March 7 (dated to the 2016 ACC Tournament)
• Also had 10-game hit streak from March 11-26
• Was 7-for-16 with seven runs in Georgia Tech series
• Went 4-for-10 with four runs in Louisville series
• Had five hits in Duke, Notre Dame and Miami series
• Was 3-for-5 with home run and career-high four RBI in win over Rutgers (2/26)
• Third-Team All-ACC selection at second base
• Played in all 60 games (45 starts at 2B, 15 in CF); hit in leadoff slot in last 18 games (first 42 in 2-hole)
• Third in ACC in hits (92) and runs (62), 14th in batting (.351)
• Ranks third in UVA history in single-season hits and fifth in single-season runs
• Struck out 12 times in 262 AB; ranked fourth toughest to strike out nationally (1 every 21.8 AB)
• Ranks 16th nationally in hits, 17th in sac bunts (14) and 18th in runs
• Recorded four hit streaks of eight games or more
• Had career-long 12-game hit streak snapped April 24 and 11-game streak broken May 21
• Second on team with 26 multiple-hit games (12 in 62 games in 2015)
• Reached 50 hits in 33 games (fastest at UVA since Phil Gosselin did it in 31 games in 2010)
• Went 5-for-12 in Duke series
• Was 5-for-14 with pair of doubles in Boston College series
• Went 5-for-13 in North Carolina series
• Was 6-for-14 with four runs in Pitt series
• Went 5-for-15 with four runs in Georgia Tech series
• Was 6-for-15 (.400) with home run, four RBI in NCAA regional
• Played in 62 games and started 61 (22 CF, 39 2B)
• Named to All-College World Series Team
• Ranked fifth toughest nationally to strike out (12 K in 260 PA; 1 K per 19.1 AB)
• Batted .292 (7-for-24) in CWS (second best on team)
• Recorded the go-ahead hit in three of UVa’s 10 NCAA tournament wins (11-for-42 with seven RBI in tournament)
• Went 3-for-4 and drove in eventual game-winning run with sixth-inning single in Game 2 of CWS Finals (6/23)
• Hit 2-run walk-off single in Game 2 of NCAA Super Regional against Maryland to send Virginia to College World Series (6/6)
• Had two key hits in NCAA Regional: 2-run double in ninth inning vs. USC in opener (5/29) and go-ahead RBI single in eighth inning vs. San Diego State (5/30)
• Led team with 11 HBP and second with nine sacrifice bunts
• Recorded four hits in win over Marist (2/22)
• Homered to lead off La Salle game (2/21)
• Missed his first game April 15 vs. William & Mary because of hamstring injury and was out for seven games
• Started first 21 games of season in center field
• Excelled in baseball and hockey during high school career
• Three-time All-New York State Team, All-Conference and All-Greater Rochester
• Twice named Rochester City Athletic Conference Player of the Year; named league MVP his junior and senior seasons
• Holds school's career records for plate appearances (329), batting average (.464), singles (87), doubles (34) and stolen bases (38); also holds single-season record for batting average (.560) and runs scored (28)
• Two-time team MVP
• Coached by Jason Wasserman
• Also played four years of hockey and one year of soccer
• Was two-time Bowman Cup Team Selection (best hockey players from Rochester and Buffalo areas)
• Led his team in scoring his last two seasons and led league in scoring his senior year while earning All-Greater Rochester honors his senior season
• Awarded the Hopps Senior Male Athletic Achievement Award (awarded to high school senior male who demonstrates athletic ability, good character and sportsmanship)
• Played travel team baseball with East Coast Grays
• Parents are Peter and Julie Clement
• Has two sisters, Glennie and Ellie
• Father played rugby at St. Lawrence University, while mother played soccer at Babson College
• Cousin, Abby Clement, ran track at UVA
Cavalier Football Notebook -- Virginia Tech WeekFootball11/24/17At 8 p.m. Friday, in the battle for the Commonwealth Cup, UVA (6-5, 3-4) meets Virginia Tech (8-3, 4-3) at Scott Stadium. ESPN will televise the game.Littlepage Ready to Start Next ChapterGeneral Release11/24/17During Craig Littlepage's 16 years as athletics director, UVA teams have won 13 NCAA championships and 76 ACC titles.Cavaliers Looking to Build MomentumWomen's Basketball11/22/17Virginia (2-3) will play twice this weekend in the Cavalier Classic at John Paul Jones Arena: Saturday against Harvard and Sunday against Duquesne.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Orange Wins Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 11/5/2017
For the third year in a row, Orange was crowned Orange and Blue World Series champions.
Jeff White: Sousa Has Unfinished Business at UVA
Baseball | 11/3/2017
Senior left-hander Bennett Sousa, who was 3-0 with a 4.09 ERA last season, will be a key member...
Inaugural Hall of Fame Class to be Inducted at 2018 Step Up ...
Baseball | 11/2/2017
The Virginia Baseball program will announce its inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class at...
Two-Run, Two-Out Rally Lifts Orange to Game 5 Victory
Baseball | 10/31/2017
Orange took control of the second portion of the seven-game Orange and Blue World Series with a 5...
Blue Takes First Three-Game Series with 5-0 Win in Game 3
Baseball | 10/29/2017
The Blue team captured the first three-game series based on run differential, but the Orange...
Orange & Blue World Series Schedule Changes
Baseball | 10/26/2017
The teams now will play Game 4 at 4 p.m. Saturday and Game 5 at 3:30 p.m. Monday
Orange Pulls Out Game 2 Victory, 5-4
Baseball | 10/24/2017
Nate Eikhoff went 2-for-3 with a homer and three RBI to lead the Orange, while Cameron Comer...
Orange Holds On For Game 1 Win, 3-2
Baseball | 10/20/2017
Jake McCarthy drove in all three of the Orange's runs in a 3-2 Game 1 win over the Blue.
- Online Stores