Cavaliers win seventh straight ACC series
UVA limits Lancers to two hits, strikes out 14
Bettinger works six shutout innings of relief while Smith drives in five runs
Cavaliers pile up 20 hits to force a Sunday rubber game in the series
Casey tosses six strong innings in series-opening win
• Pitched in 15 games, including 10 starts
• Made four starts in ACC play
• Recorded three straight quality starts to begin his college career
• Worked at least six innings and earned win in each of his first three starts
• Opposing batters hit just .204 against him, but issued 30 walks in 38 1/3 innings
• Struck out season-high nine batters over seven innings in win over La Salle (3/4)
• Fired six innings, allowing three runs and five hits, in win over Rutgers (2/25)
• Allowed just an unearned run, two hits and two walks in his first UVA start against The Citadel (2/18)
• Did not compete (redshirt season)
• 2014 and 2015 All-Conference 19 selection, both as pitcher and first baseman
• Was 2015 First-Team Class 5A All-State selection as first baseman as senior
• Also was a two-time all-region honoree
• Was 18-9 with two saves during high school career
• Went 3-3 with 53 strikeouts in 35 innings his senior year; also hit .420 with three homers, five doubles and 31 RBI
• Was 9-2 during junior season
• Coached by Matt Lewellen
• Named 2015 Peninsula Sports Club Most Outstanding High School Athlete
• Three-time Grafton High School Athlete of the Year
• Also played four years of basketball (forward) and two seasons of football (quarterback)
• Averaged 19.5 points and 15 rebounds per game his senior year after averaging 14.2 ppg and 12 rpg his junior season
• Was Conference 19 Player of the Year and First-Team Class 4A All-State his senior year
• Was First-Team All-Conference 19 and an all-region honoree his junior and senior seasons
• Played travel team baseball with EvoShield Canes
• Parents are Ron and Gigi Sperling
• Born in Santa Maria, Calif.
'Hoos Rue Missed OpportunityFootball11/18/17On an afternoon when Kurt Benkert threw four touchdown passes, Virginia twice built 14-point leads before falling 44-28 to No. 2 Miami at Hard Rock Stadium.Cavalier Football Notebook -- Miami WeekFootball11/16/17Two regular-season games remain for Virginia (6-4 overall, 3-3 ACC), which plays No. 2 Miami (9-0, 6-0) at noon Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium.Torres Makes Most of Learning OpportunityWomen's Soccer11/15/17Freshman Taryn Torres has scored a team-high eight goals for Virginia, which meets Pepperdine in the NCAA tourney's second round Friday night in Los Angeles.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Orange Wins Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 11/5/2017
For the third year in a row, Orange was crowned Orange and Blue World Series champions.
Jeff White: Sousa Has Unfinished Business at UVA
Baseball | 11/3/2017
Senior left-hander Bennett Sousa, who was 3-0 with a 4.09 ERA last season, will be a key member...
Inaugural Hall of Fame Class to be Inducted at 2018 Step Up ...
Baseball | 11/2/2017
The Virginia Baseball program will announce its inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class at...
Two-Run, Two-Out Rally Lifts Orange to Game 5 Victory
Baseball | 10/31/2017
Orange took control of the second portion of the seven-game Orange and Blue World Series with a 5...
Blue Takes First Three-Game Series with 5-0 Win in Game 3
Baseball | 10/29/2017
The Blue team captured the first three-game series based on run differential, but the Orange...
Orange & Blue World Series Schedule Changes
Baseball | 10/26/2017
The teams now will play Game 4 at 4 p.m. Saturday and Game 5 at 3:30 p.m. Monday
Orange Pulls Out Game 2 Victory, 5-4
Baseball | 10/24/2017
Nate Eikhoff went 2-for-3 with a homer and three RBI to lead the Orange, while Cameron Comer...
Orange Holds On For Game 1 Win, 3-2
Baseball | 10/20/2017
Jake McCarthy drove in all three of the Orange's runs in a 3-2 Game 1 win over the Blue.
- Online Stores