Blue Devils capture series on extra-inning walk-off in game two
Cavaliers win rubber game against Yale in comeback fashion
Virginia scores season-high, 13 runs in series finale
Junior matches career-high with nine strikeouts
Cavaliers win sixth straight ACC series
• Pitched in 15 games, including 10 starts
• Made four starts in ACC play
• Recorded three straight quality starts to begin his college career
• Worked at least six innings and earned win in each of his first three starts
• Opposing batters hit just .204 against him, but issued 30 walks in 38 1/3 innings
• Struck out season-high nine batters over seven innings in win over La Salle (3/4)
• Fired six innings, allowing three runs and five hits, in win over Rutgers (2/25)
• Allowed just an unearned run, two hits and two walks in his first UVA start against The Citadel (2/18)
• Did not compete (redshirt season)
• 2014 and 2015 All-Conference 19 selection, both as pitcher and first baseman
• Was 2015 First-Team Class 5A All-State selection as first baseman as senior
• Also was a two-time all-region honoree
• Was 18-9 with two saves during high school career
• Went 3-3 with 53 strikeouts in 35 innings his senior year; also hit .420 with three homers, five doubles and 31 RBI
• Was 9-2 during junior season
• Coached by Matt Lewellen
• Named 2015 Peninsula Sports Club Most Outstanding High School Athlete
• Three-time Grafton High School Athlete of the Year
• Also played four years of basketball (forward) and two seasons of football (quarterback)
• Averaged 19.5 points and 15 rebounds per game his senior year after averaging 14.2 ppg and 12 rpg his junior season
• Was Conference 19 Player of the Year and First-Team Class 4A All-State his senior year
• Was First-Team All-Conference 19 and an all-region honoree his junior and senior seasons
• Played travel team baseball with EvoShield Canes
• Parents are Ron and Gigi Sperling
• Born in Santa Maria, Calif.
'Hoos Exit With Heads Held HighWomen's Basketball3/19/18In its first trip to the NCAA tourney since 2010, 10th-seeded Virginia went 1-1 in Columbia, S.C., defeating seventh-seeded Cal and losing to second-seeded South Carolina.'Hoos Look To Take Next Step in NCAA TourneyWomen's Basketball3/18/18A win Sunday night over second-seeded South Carolina would send 10th-seeded Virginia to the NCAA tournament's Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2000.End Comes Too Soon for No. 1 CavaliersMen's Basketball3/17/18In the NCAA tournament's first round, No. 1 seed Virginia lost 74-54 to No. 16 seed UMBC in a South Region game in Charlotte, N.C.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Travels to Miami for Weekend ACC Series
Baseball | 3/22/2018
No. 24 Virginia will begin a three-game Atlantic Coast Conference series at Miam on Friday at 7.p...
ACC Play Resumes for No. 21 Virginia
Baseball | 3/15/2018
No. 21 Virginia will play its first home ACC series this weekend when it hosts BC at Disharoon...
No. 21 Virginia Drops Series Opener to BC
Baseball | 3/16/2018
Boston College scored five of the game’s last six runs in a 6-2 series opening victory over...
Game Two Start Time Moved to 3:30 p.m.
Baseball | 3/17/2018
The first pitch of Saturday’s (March 17) ACC game against Boston College has been moved to ...
Cavaliers Even Series with Boston College
Baseball | 3/17/2018
A five-run, seventh inning and a career day from Daniel Lynch helped Virginia to even the series ...
No. 21 Virginia Clinches Series in Walk-off Fashion
Baseball | 3/18/2018
Virginia scored three runs in the bottom of the 10th inning as part of a 10-9 series-clinching...
No. 24 Virginia Hosts Towson in Midweek Series
Baseball | 03/19/2018
No. 24 Virginia will host Towson in a two-game midweek series beginning on Tuesday and concluding...
Virginia-Towson Midweek Series Cancelled
Baseball | 03/20/2018
The Virginia-Towson midweek baseball series, scheduled to take place on Tuesday (March 20) and...
- Online Stores