Blue Devils capture series on extra-inning walk-off in game two
Cavaliers win rubber game against Yale in comeback fashion
Virginia scores season-high, 13 runs in series finale
Junior matches career-high with nine strikeouts
Cavaliers win sixth straight ACC series
• Pitched in 15 games, including 10 starts
• Made four starts in ACC play
• Recorded three straight quality starts to begin his college career
• Worked at least six innings and earned win in each of his first three starts
• Opposing batters hit just .204 against him, but issued 30 walks in 38 1/3 innings
• Struck out season-high nine batters over seven innings in win over La Salle (3/4)
• Fired six innings, allowing three runs and five hits, in win over Rutgers (2/25)
• Allowed just an unearned run, two hits and two walks in his first UVA start against The Citadel (2/18)
• Did not compete (redshirt season)
• 2014 and 2015 All-Conference 19 selection, both as pitcher and first baseman
• Was 2015 First-Team Class 5A All-State selection as first baseman as senior
• Also was a two-time all-region honoree
• Was 18-9 with two saves during high school career
• Went 3-3 with 53 strikeouts in 35 innings his senior year; also hit .420 with three homers, five doubles and 31 RBI
• Was 9-2 during junior season
• Coached by Matt Lewellen
• Named 2015 Peninsula Sports Club Most Outstanding High School Athlete
• Three-time Grafton High School Athlete of the Year
• Also played four years of basketball (forward) and two seasons of football (quarterback)
• Averaged 19.5 points and 15 rebounds per game his senior year after averaging 14.2 ppg and 12 rpg his junior season
• Was Conference 19 Player of the Year and First-Team Class 4A All-State his senior year
• Was First-Team All-Conference 19 and an all-region honoree his junior and senior seasons
• Played travel team baseball with EvoShield Canes
• Parents are Ron and Gigi Sperling
• Born in Santa Maria, Calif.
NCAA Quest Begins for Iceland NativeTrack & Field, Cross Country5/24/18A three-time ACC champion in the hammer throw, Virginia junior Hilmar Jonsson competes Thursday at the NCAA East Preliminary meet in Tampa, Fla.Lynch Shines Again in His Season FinaleBaseball5/23/18In what was probably his final appearance for UVA, junior left-hander Daniel Lynch struck out seven Tuesday against Florida State in the ACC tournament.UVA Pioneer Ready for Next ChapterFootball5/21/18Kent Merritt, who's retiring next month from his position in the history department, was among the first African-American football players at Virginia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Dominant Pitching Helps Virginia End on High Note
Baseball | 5/24/2018
Virginia concluded pool play at the ACC Championship with a 4-2 victory over third-seeded NC...
Jeff White: Lynch Shines Again in His Season Finale
Baseball | 5/23/2018
In what was probably his final appearance for UVA, junior Daniel Lynch struck out seven Tuesday...
Virginia Falls to No. 9 Florida State in Extra Innings
Baseball | 5/22/2018
No. 9 Florida State prevailed, 3-2 in the bottom of the 11th inning with a walk-off single at the...
Virginia Begins ACC Tournament Play Tuesday
Baseball | 5/21/2018
No. 10 seed Virginia will begin its play in the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship on Tuesday
Four Cavaliers Earn All-ACC Accolades
Baseball | 5/21/2018
Second baseman Andy Weber earned First Team All-ACC honors for the first time in his career.
Dates, Times Announced For ACC Baseball Championship
Baseball | 5/20/2018
Virginia will begin play in the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship on Tuesday (May 22).
Wake Forest Outlasts Virginia in Regular Season Finale
Baseball | 05/19/2018
Wake Forest scored runs in all but one turn at the plate in a 18-12 victory over Virginia.
Virginia Evens Series at Wake Forest
Baseball | 05/18/2018
Virginia scored a season-high 15 runs, including nine in the ninth to even the series at Wake...
- Online Stores