Virginia 17, William & Mary 4
Virginia 17, William & Mary 4
Cavaliers rack up 20 hits in win over William & Mary
O’Connor becomes winningest coach in program history with 595th career win
Cavaliers win for 11th time in last 12 games
Baseball vs. Miami (By Kelsey Grant)
• Played in 35 games, making 20 starts
• Played in 27 of UVA’s last 36 games
• Pinch hit in 11 games this season (4-for-10 as PH)
• Made first start on March 27 at DH against Louisville and went 1-for-4
• Hit two-run double that provided final winning margin against NC State (4/2)
• Drew walk-off walk in 7-6 win over Virginia Tech (5/20)
• Hit two-run single in ACC tournament win against Louisville (5/28)
• Batted team-high .545 (6-for-11) with HR, four RBI in NCAA regional
• Played in 12 games, including 11 starts (6 2B, 5 DH)
• Recorded hits in eight of his 12 games
• Made UVA debut April 15 against William & Mary after injuring his hamstring and undergoing surgery in September
• Hit RBI single in pinch-hit appearance in ninth inning of CWS Finals vs. Vanderbilt (Game 1, 6/22)
• Picked up single during his first NCAA tournament game against USC (5/29)
• Hit RBI single in ACC win at North Carolina (5/15)
• Hit by pitch to drive in go-ahead run in win against Miami (4/20)
• Went 2-for-4 with pair of RBI i against Miami (4/19)
• Went 3-for-4 in college debut against William & Mary
DOUGLAS FREEMAN HS
• Made Perfect Game Collegiate All-Star Team in summer 2014 as rising college freshman; played with Newark Pilots
• Was 2014 First-Team All-State honoree and led team to state championship game
• Batted .362 with three home runs, 18 RBI, 26 runs and 22 stolen bases in 2014
• Four-time All-Conference 11 honoree, including first-team selections his junior and senior years
• Two-time All-Region selection
• Named 2014 Conference 11 Player of the Year
• Four-time Academic All-Conference honoree
• Member of 2013 team the reached state semifinals before falling to Great Bridge HS (and current UVa teammates Connor Jones and Charlie Cody)
• Played football his senior season and played running back (6 TDs) and defensive back (1 INT)
• Also played two years of basketball
• Recipient of 2014 Matt Davis Foundation Scholarship (awarded on academics, character and sportsmanship)
• Played travel team baseball with EvoShield Canes
• Parents are Dave Gerstenmaier and Jennie Holsinger
• Has one brother, Chip
Spring Football NotebookFootball4/20/18As part of the inaugural Wahoowa Weekend, spring football concludes for the Cavaliers with an open practice April 28 at Scott Stadium.Thompson Ready To Lead From FrontWomen's Basketball4/18/18The mood was celebratory Wednesday afternoon at John Paul Jones Arena, where Tina Thompson was introduced as UVA's women's basketball coach.Walsh Ready to Lead 'Hoos in PostseasonMen's Golf4/18/18Healthy again after battling back problems for much of 2017, Thomas Walsh enters this weekend's ACC tournament in good form.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Tuesday's Game vs. ODU Cancelled
Baseball | 4/23/2018
Tuesday's non-conference game against Old Dominion at Harbor Park has been cancelled.
Ninth Inning Rally Clinches Series for Virginia
Baseball | 4/22/2018
Virginia rallied for two runs in the top of the ninth inning to stun Louisville, 2-1.
Virginia Evens Series Behind Strong Pitching
Baseball | 4/21/2018
Daniel Lynch and reliever Bennett Sousa shut down Louisville over the final six innings in a 5-4...
Louisville Takes Opener With Late Rally
Baseball | 4/20/2018
Danny Oriente doubled in two runs in the eighth inning to help, Louisville prevail, 5-4 over...
Virginia Travels to Louisville for Three-Game Series
Baseball | 4/19/2018
Virginia will continue its Atlantic Coast Conference schedule this weekend with a three-game road...
Virginia Powers Past Liberty, 14-3
Baseball | 4/18/2018
A four-run second inning and a five-run seventh aided Virginia to an 14-3 victory over Liberty.
Virginia Walks-off against GW in 12th
Baseball | 04/17/2018
Brendan Rivoli doubled in the winning run in the bottom of the 12th inning in a 3-2 midweek win.
Virginia Baseball Signs John “Parker” Staples
Baseball | 04/16/2018
Virginia head baseball coach Brian O’Connor announced the signing of nine-year-old John ...
- Online Stores