Virginia 17, William & Mary 4
Virginia 17, William & Mary 4
Cavaliers rack up 20 hits in win over William & Mary
O’Connor becomes winningest coach in program history with 595th career win
Cavaliers win for 11th time in last 12 games
Baseball vs. Miami (By Kelsey Grant)
• Played in 35 games, making 20 starts
• Played in 27 of UVA’s last 36 games
• Pinch hit in 11 games this season (4-for-10 as PH)
• Made first start on March 27 at DH against Louisville and went 1-for-4
• Hit two-run double that provided final winning margin against NC State (4/2)
• Drew walk-off walk in 7-6 win over Virginia Tech (5/20)
• Hit two-run single in ACC tournament win against Louisville (5/28)
• Batted team-high .545 (6-for-11) with HR, four RBI in NCAA regional
• Played in 12 games, including 11 starts (6 2B, 5 DH)
• Recorded hits in eight of his 12 games
• Made UVA debut April 15 against William & Mary after injuring his hamstring and undergoing surgery in September
• Hit RBI single in pinch-hit appearance in ninth inning of CWS Finals vs. Vanderbilt (Game 1, 6/22)
• Picked up single during his first NCAA tournament game against USC (5/29)
• Hit RBI single in ACC win at North Carolina (5/15)
• Hit by pitch to drive in go-ahead run in win against Miami (4/20)
• Went 2-for-4 with pair of RBI i against Miami (4/19)
• Went 3-for-4 in college debut against William & Mary
DOUGLAS FREEMAN HS
• Made Perfect Game Collegiate All-Star Team in summer 2014 as rising college freshman; played with Newark Pilots
• Was 2014 First-Team All-State honoree and led team to state championship game
• Batted .362 with three home runs, 18 RBI, 26 runs and 22 stolen bases in 2014
• Four-time All-Conference 11 honoree, including first-team selections his junior and senior years
• Two-time All-Region selection
• Named 2014 Conference 11 Player of the Year
• Four-time Academic All-Conference honoree
• Member of 2013 team the reached state semifinals before falling to Great Bridge HS (and current UVa teammates Connor Jones and Charlie Cody)
• Played football his senior season and played running back (6 TDs) and defensive back (1 INT)
• Also played two years of basketball
• Recipient of 2014 Matt Davis Foundation Scholarship (awarded on academics, character and sportsmanship)
• Played travel team baseball with EvoShield Canes
• Parents are Dave Gerstenmaier and Jennie Holsinger
• Has one brother, Chip
'Hoos Eager to Seize Opportunity Friday NightFootball11/21/17At 8 p.m. Friday, in the annual battle for the Commonwealth Clash, UVA (6-5 overall, 3-4 ACC) meets Virginia Tech (8-3, 4-3) at Scott Stadium.Hunter Dazzles as 'Hoos Stay UnbeatenMen's Basketball11/19/17Behind a career-high 23 points from redshirt freshman De'Andre Hunter, unbeaten Virginia defeated Monmouth 73-53 on Sunday at JPJ.'Hoos Rue Missed OpportunityFootball11/18/17On an afternoon when Kurt Benkert threw four touchdown passes, Virginia twice built 14-point leads before falling 44-28 to No. 2 Miami at Hard Rock Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Orange Wins Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 11/5/2017
For the third year in a row, Orange was crowned Orange and Blue World Series champions.
Jeff White: Sousa Has Unfinished Business at UVA
Baseball | 11/3/2017
Senior left-hander Bennett Sousa, who was 3-0 with a 4.09 ERA last season, will be a key member...
Inaugural Hall of Fame Class to be Inducted at 2018 Step Up ...
Baseball | 11/2/2017
The Virginia Baseball program will announce its inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class at...
Two-Run, Two-Out Rally Lifts Orange to Game 5 Victory
Baseball | 10/31/2017
Orange took control of the second portion of the seven-game Orange and Blue World Series with a 5...
Blue Takes First Three-Game Series with 5-0 Win in Game 3
Baseball | 10/29/2017
The Blue team captured the first three-game series based on run differential, but the Orange...
Orange & Blue World Series Schedule Changes
Baseball | 10/26/2017
The teams now will play Game 4 at 4 p.m. Saturday and Game 5 at 3:30 p.m. Monday
Orange Pulls Out Game 2 Victory, 5-4
Baseball | 10/24/2017
Nate Eikhoff went 2-for-3 with a homer and three RBI to lead the Orange, while Cameron Comer...
Orange Holds On For Game 1 Win, 3-2
Baseball | 10/20/2017
Jake McCarthy drove in all three of the Orange's runs in a 3-2 Game 1 win over the Blue.
- Online Stores