Virginia 17, William & Mary 4
Virginia 17, William & Mary 4
Cavaliers rack up 20 hits in win over William & Mary
O’Connor becomes winningest coach in program history with 595th career win
Cavaliers win for 11th time in last 12 games
Baseball vs. Miami (By Kelsey Grant)
• Played in 35 games, making 20 starts
• Played in 27 of UVA’s last 36 games
• Pinch hit in 11 games this season (4-for-10 as PH)
• Made first start on March 27 at DH against Louisville and went 1-for-4
• Hit two-run double that provided final winning margin against NC State (4/2)
• Drew walk-off walk in 7-6 win over Virginia Tech (5/20)
• Hit two-run single in ACC tournament win against Louisville (5/28)
• Batted team-high .545 (6-for-11) with HR, four RBI in NCAA regional
• Played in 12 games, including 11 starts (6 2B, 5 DH)
• Recorded hits in eight of his 12 games
• Made UVA debut April 15 against William & Mary after injuring his hamstring and undergoing surgery in September
• Hit RBI single in pinch-hit appearance in ninth inning of CWS Finals vs. Vanderbilt (Game 1, 6/22)
• Picked up single during his first NCAA tournament game against USC (5/29)
• Hit RBI single in ACC win at North Carolina (5/15)
• Hit by pitch to drive in go-ahead run in win against Miami (4/20)
• Went 2-for-4 with pair of RBI i against Miami (4/19)
• Went 3-for-4 in college debut against William & Mary
DOUGLAS FREEMAN HS
• Made Perfect Game Collegiate All-Star Team in summer 2014 as rising college freshman; played with Newark Pilots
• Was 2014 First-Team All-State honoree and led team to state championship game
• Batted .362 with three home runs, 18 RBI, 26 runs and 22 stolen bases in 2014
• Four-time All-Conference 11 honoree, including first-team selections his junior and senior years
• Two-time All-Region selection
• Named 2014 Conference 11 Player of the Year
• Four-time Academic All-Conference honoree
• Member of 2013 team the reached state semifinals before falling to Great Bridge HS (and current UVa teammates Connor Jones and Charlie Cody)
• Played football his senior season and played running back (6 TDs) and defensive back (1 INT)
• Also played two years of basketball
• Recipient of 2014 Matt Davis Foundation Scholarship (awarded on academics, character and sportsmanship)
• Played travel team baseball with EvoShield Canes
• Parents are Dave Gerstenmaier and Jennie Holsinger
• Has one brother, Chip
Mueller Shining for Surging CavaliersWomen's Lacrosse3/29/17Freshman midfielder Sammy Mueller is the second-leading scorer for No. 15 Virginia, which hosts Oregon on Wednesday night at Klöckner Stadium.Cook Ready To Make Up For Lost TimeFootball3/27/17After missing last season with a heart condition, UVA outside linebacker Malcolm Cook has been cleared to play again.Offensive Line Looking to Raise Its GameFootball3/24/17Guard Jack McDonald and tackle Jack English are the returning starters on the offensive line for Virginia, which starts spring practice Tuesday.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 16 Virginia Heads to VCU for 7 p.m. Wednesday Game
Baseball | 3/28/2017
Virginia-VCU Game Moved to Wednesday Night
Baseball | 3/27/2017
The Tuesday game between Virginia and VCU at The Diamond in Richmond has been rescheduled for 7 p...
No. 16 Virginia Tops Duke, 13-6, to Win Series
Baseball | 3/26/2017
After absorbing a big loss in the series opener Friday, the Cavaliers rebounded for 26 runs and...
No. 16 Virginia Powers Past Duke, 13-6
Baseball | 3/25/2017
The Cavaliers evened the series at a game apiece, with the rubber game slated for 1 p.m. Sunday.
No. 16 Virginia Drops Opener to Duke
Baseball | 3/24/2017
Virginia fell to 17-6 on the year, including a 2-5 mark in ACC play, with the loss.
No. 16 UVA Welcomes Duke for Three-Game Series
Baseball | 3/23/2017
Game 1 is slated for 4 p.m. Friday, with 1 p.m. contests on Saturday and Sunday to follow.
Jeff White: Weber Hitting Right Notes on Diamond
Baseball | 03/23/2017
Sophomore Andy Weber starts at second base for No. 16 Virginia, which hosts ACC rival Duke this...
No. 16 Virginia Baseball Topples Towson, 8-4
Baseball | 03/22/2017
Eight Virginia pitchers combined to limit Towson to two hits in the win as the Cavaliers improved...
- Online Stores