Casey, Sousa combine for 12 strikeouts
Teams combine for 30 runs and 33 hits in slugfest
Cavaliers force rubber game in final ACC series of the year
Demon Deacons hit three home runs in victory
Junior lefty establishes new career-high
• Played in all 59 games (41 LF, 15 CF, 3 RF)
• Competed with U.S. Collegiate National Team
• Tied for second on team with 80 hits
• Stole 27 bases (in 29 attempts) -- first in ACC and ninth-most nationally (third most in a season in program history)
• Ranked seventh nationally and first in ACC with seven triples (one off UVA single-season record)
• Recorded 25 multiple-hit games
• After batting in 9-hole for 19 games in middle of season, he moved back into 2-slot for final 16 games and batted .414 (24-58) in that time
• Was 4-for-13 in NCAA tournament and 2-for-9 in ACC tournament
• Earned ACC Player of the Week honors following final week of regular season (12-for-21, 6 XBH, 6 RBI in four games vs. Richmond and Georgia Tech)
• Recorded first career multi-homer game with pair of long balls at Georgia Tech (5/18)
• Hit go-ahead, two-run home run in fifth inning at Florida State (4/29); reached base four times and scored twice in the game
• Had five hits in Virginia Tech and Notre Dame series
• Stole second bases and scored seven runs in Rutgers series
• Played in six games, making five starts
• Tore ligaments in big toe (right foot) on Feb. 27 against East Carolina and missed rest of season
• Had hits in four of his five starts
• Recorded two hits at Coastal Carolina (2/21) and followed it up with three-hit game against VMI (2/23)
• Selected in 23rd round of 2015 MLB Draft by Pittsburgh Pirates
• Four-year letterwinner in baseball, football and basketball
• Three-time all-league selection and 2015 all-region honoree in baseball
• Three-time all-region and all-league pick in football; named First-Team All-State running back in 2014
• Named 2014-15 Times-Tribune Male Athlete of the Year
• Batted .442 his senior year with three home runs, 19 hits, 20 runs in 15 games
• Holds school record for rushing yards in school history (6,080), season (2,105) and game (351)
• Also holds school touchdown records for school history (80), season (30) and game (5)
• Lackawanna Football Conference Division I career record holder in rushing, scoring and touchdowns
• In injury-shortened senior season, he rushed for 1730 yards and 30 touchdowns in just eight games and was named Lackawanna Football Conference Division I Offensive Player of Year
• Won league and district team championships with football and basketball
• Coached by Jamie Higgins (baseball) and Mike Marichak (football)
• Member of National Honor Society
• Played travel team baseball with Baseball U
• Parents are Joe and Joanne McCarthy
• Has one sister, Morgan and one brother, Joe
• Brother played at UVA from 2013-15 and currently plays in the Tampa Bay Rays organization
• Father played baseball at South Carolina and was drafted three times
• McCarthy family (Joe Sr., Joe Jr., Jake and Morgan) all wore No. 31 at Scranton HS, and number was retired on Oct. 23, 2015
NCAA Quest Begins for Iceland NativeTrack & Field, Cross Country5/24/18A three-time ACC champion in the hammer throw, Virginia junior Hilmar Jonsson competes Thursday at the NCAA East Preliminary meet in Tampa, Fla.Lynch Shines Again in His Season FinaleBaseball5/23/18In what was probably his final appearance for UVA, junior left-hander Daniel Lynch struck out seven Tuesday against Florida State in the ACC tournament.UVA Pioneer Ready for Next ChapterFootball5/21/18Kent Merritt, who's retiring next month from his position in the history department, was among the first African-American football players at Virginia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Dominant Pitching Helps Virginia End on High Note
Baseball | 5/24/2018
Virginia concluded pool play at the ACC Championship with a 4-2 victory over third-seeded NC...
Jeff White: Lynch Shines Again in His Season Finale
Baseball | 5/23/2018
In what was probably his final appearance for UVA, junior Daniel Lynch struck out seven Tuesday...
Virginia Falls to No. 9 Florida State in Extra Innings
Baseball | 5/22/2018
No. 9 Florida State prevailed, 3-2 in the bottom of the 11th inning with a walk-off single at the...
Virginia Begins ACC Tournament Play Tuesday
Baseball | 5/21/2018
No. 10 seed Virginia will begin its play in the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship on Tuesday
Four Cavaliers Earn All-ACC Accolades
Baseball | 5/21/2018
Second baseman Andy Weber earned First Team All-ACC honors for the first time in his career.
Dates, Times Announced For ACC Baseball Championship
Baseball | 5/20/2018
Virginia will begin play in the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship on Tuesday (May 22).
Wake Forest Outlasts Virginia in Regular Season Finale
Baseball | 05/19/2018
Wake Forest scored runs in all but one turn at the plate in a 18-12 victory over Virginia.
Virginia Evens Series at Wake Forest
Baseball | 05/18/2018
Virginia scored a season-high 15 runs, including nine in the ninth to even the series at Wake...
- Online Stores