Casey works seven strong innings as UVA moves on to face TCU/CCSU winner
Sophomore outfielder is batting .344 with league-high seven triples and 27 stolen bases
Cavalier outfielder earns ACC distinction for first time in his career
Cavaliers win sixth straight ACC series
Cavaliers reach 40-win plateau for 11th time in last 14 seasons
• Played in all 59 games (41 LF, 15 CF, 3 RF)
• Competed with U.S. Collegiate National Team
• Tied for second on team with 80 hits
• Stole 27 bases (in 29 attempts) – first in ACC and ninth-most nationally (third most in a season in program history)
• Ranked seventh nationally and first in ACC with seven triples (one off UVA single-season record)
• Recorded 25 multiple-hit games
• After batting in 9-hole for 19 games in middle of season, he moved back into 2-slot for final 16 games and batted .414 (24-58) in that time
• Was 4-for-13 in NCAA tournament and 2-for-9 in ACC tournament
• Earned ACC Player of the Week honors following final week of regular season (12-for-21, 6 XBH, 6 RBI in four games vs. Richmond and Georgia Tech)
• Recorded first career multi-homer game with pair of long balls at Georgia Tech (5/18)
• Hit go-ahead, two-run home run in fifth inning at Florida State (4/29); reached base four times and scored twice in the game
• Had five hits in Virginia Tech and Notre Dame series
• Stole second bases and scored seven runs in Rutgers series
• Played in six games, making five starts
• Tore ligaments in big toe (right foot) on Feb. 27 against East Carolina and missed rest of season
• Had hits in four of his five starts
• Recorded two hits at Coastal Carolina (2/21) and followed it up with three-hit game against VMI (2/23)
• Selected in 23rd round of 2015 MLB Draft by Pittsburgh Pirates
• Four-year letterwinner in baseball, football and basketball
• Three-time all-league selection and 2015 all-region honoree in baseball
• Three-time all-region and all-league pick in football; named First-Team All-State running back in 2014
• Named 2014-15 Times-Tribune Male Athlete of the Year
• Batted .442 his senior year with three home runs, 19 hits, 20 runs in 15 games
• Holds school record for rushing yards in school history (6,080), season (2,105) and game (351)
• Also holds school touchdown records for school history (80), season (30) and game (5)
• Lackawanna Football Conference Division I career record holder in rushing, scoring and touchdowns
• In injury-shortened senior season, he rushed for 1730 yards and 30 touchdowns in just eight games and was named Lackawanna Football Conference Division I Offensive Player of Year
• Won league and district team championships with football and basketball
• Coached by Jamie Higgins (baseball) and Mike Marichak (football)
• Member of National Honor Society
• Played travel team baseball with Baseball U
• Parents are Joe and Joanne McCarthy
• Has one sister, Morgan and one brother, Joe
• Brother played at UVA from 2013-15 and currently plays in the Tampa Bay Rays organization
• Father played baseball at South Carolina and was drafted three times
• McCarthy family (Joe Sr., Joe Jr., Jake and Morgan) all wore No. 31 at Scranton HS, and number was retired on Oct. 23, 2015
'Hoos Rue Missed OpportunityFootball11/18/17On an afternoon when Kurt Benkert threw four touchdown passes, Virginia twice built 14-point leads before falling 44-28 to No. 2 Miami at Hard Rock Stadium.Cavalier Football Notebook -- Miami WeekFootball11/16/17Two regular-season games remain for Virginia (6-4 overall, 3-3 ACC), which plays No. 2 Miami (9-0, 6-0) at noon Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium.Torres Makes Most of Learning OpportunityWomen's Soccer11/15/17Freshman Taryn Torres has scored a team-high eight goals for Virginia, which meets Pepperdine in the NCAA tourney's second round Friday night in Los Angeles.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Orange Wins Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 11/5/2017
For the third year in a row, Orange was crowned Orange and Blue World Series champions.
Jeff White: Sousa Has Unfinished Business at UVA
Baseball | 11/3/2017
Senior left-hander Bennett Sousa, who was 3-0 with a 4.09 ERA last season, will be a key member...
Inaugural Hall of Fame Class to be Inducted at 2018 Step Up ...
Baseball | 11/2/2017
The Virginia Baseball program will announce its inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class at...
Two-Run, Two-Out Rally Lifts Orange to Game 5 Victory
Baseball | 10/31/2017
Orange took control of the second portion of the seven-game Orange and Blue World Series with a 5...
Blue Takes First Three-Game Series with 5-0 Win in Game 3
Baseball | 10/29/2017
The Blue team captured the first three-game series based on run differential, but the Orange...
Orange & Blue World Series Schedule Changes
Baseball | 10/26/2017
The teams now will play Game 4 at 4 p.m. Saturday and Game 5 at 3:30 p.m. Monday
Orange Pulls Out Game 2 Victory, 5-4
Baseball | 10/24/2017
Nate Eikhoff went 2-for-3 with a homer and three RBI to lead the Orange, while Cameron Comer...
Orange Holds On For Game 1 Win, 3-2
Baseball | 10/20/2017
Jake McCarthy drove in all three of the Orange's runs in a 3-2 Game 1 win over the Blue.
- Online Stores