Casey works seven strong innings as UVA moves on to face TCU/CCSU winner
Sophomore outfielder is batting .344 with league-high seven triples and 27 stolen bases
Cavalier outfielder earns ACC distinction for first time in his career
Cavaliers win sixth straight ACC series
Cavaliers reach 40-win plateau for 11th time in last 14 seasons
• Played in all 59 games (41 LF, 15 CF, 3 RF)
• Competed with U.S. Collegiate National Team
• Tied for second on team with 80 hits
• Stole 27 bases (in 29 attempts) – first in ACC and ninth-most nationally (third most in a season in program history)
• Ranked seventh nationally and first in ACC with seven triples (one off UVA single-season record)
• Recorded 25 multiple-hit games
• After batting in 9-hole for 19 games in middle of season, he moved back into 2-slot for final 16 games and batted .414 (24-58) in that time
• Was 4-for-13 in NCAA tournament and 2-for-9 in ACC tournament
• Earned ACC Player of the Week honors following final week of regular season (12-for-21, 6 XBH, 6 RBI in four games vs. Richmond and Georgia Tech)
• Recorded first career multi-homer game with pair of long balls at Georgia Tech (5/18)
• Hit go-ahead, two-run home run in fifth inning at Florida State (4/29); reached base four times and scored twice in the game
• Had five hits in Virginia Tech and Notre Dame series
• Stole second bases and scored seven runs in Rutgers series
• Played in six games, making five starts
• Tore ligaments in big toe (right foot) on Feb. 27 against East Carolina and missed rest of season
• Had hits in four of his five starts
• Recorded two hits at Coastal Carolina (2/21) and followed it up with three-hit game against VMI (2/23)
• Selected in 23rd round of 2015 MLB Draft by Pittsburgh Pirates
• Four-year letterwinner in baseball, football and basketball
• Three-time all-league selection and 2015 all-region honoree in baseball
• Three-time all-region and all-league pick in football; named First-Team All-State running back in 2014
• Named 2014-15 Times-Tribune Male Athlete of the Year
• Batted .442 his senior year with three home runs, 19 hits, 20 runs in 15 games
• Holds school record for rushing yards in school history (6,080), season (2,105) and game (351)
• Also holds school touchdown records for school history (80), season (30) and game (5)
• Lackawanna Football Conference Division I career record holder in rushing, scoring and touchdowns
• In injury-shortened senior season, he rushed for 1730 yards and 30 touchdowns in just eight games and was named Lackawanna Football Conference Division I Offensive Player of Year
• Won league and district team championships with football and basketball
• Coached by Jamie Higgins (baseball) and Mike Marichak (football)
• Member of National Honor Society
• Played travel team baseball with Baseball U
• Parents are Joe and Joanne McCarthy
• Has one sister, Morgan and one brother, Joe
• Brother played at UVA from 2013-15 and currently plays in the Tampa Bay Rays organization
• Father played baseball at South Carolina and was drafted three times
• McCarthy family (Joe Sr., Joe Jr., Jake and Morgan) all wore No. 31 at Scranton HS, and number was retired on Oct. 23, 2015
Tyson Finds Perfect Fit at UVAWomen's Squash1/18/18Annie Tyson, who also starred in lacrosse in high school, is one of the leaders of the UVA women's squash team.No. 3 Cavaliers Keep Rolling at JPJMen's Basketball1/15/18No. 3 Virginia remained atop the ACC standings with a 68-51 victory over NC State at John Paul Jones Arena on Sunday night.Singh Back in Familiar SurroundingsMen's Tennis1/12/18Former UVA tennis star Sanam Singh is back at his alma mater as the volunteer assistant coach in the men's program.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Flex Packages and Single-Game Tickets On Sale Now
Baseball | 1/8/2018
Single-game tickets and Flex Packages for the 2018 Virginia Baseball are on sale now through the ...
McCarthy Listed on Preseason All-America Team
Baseball | 12/18/2017
Jake McCarthywas listed on the Collegiate Baseball Preseason All-America Team as a second team...
Two-Run, Two-Out Rally Lifts Orange to Game 5 Victory
Baseball | 10/31/2017
Orange took control of the second portion of the seven-game Orange and Blue World Series with a 5...
Orange Wins Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 11/5/2017
For the third year in a row, Orange was crowned Orange and Blue World Series champions.
Jeff White: Sousa Has Unfinished Business at UVA
Baseball | 11/3/2017
Senior left-hander Bennett Sousa, who was 3-0 with a 4.09 ERA last season, will be a key member...
Inaugural Hall of Fame Class to be Inducted at 2018 Step Up ...
Baseball | 11/2/2017
The Virginia Baseball program will announce its inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class at...
2018 Baseball Season Tickets on Sale Now
Baseball | 12/04/2017
The public sale of 2018 Virginia baseball season tickets begins on Monday, Dec. 4 for the...
Virginia Announces Inaugural Baseball Hall of Fame Class
Baseball | 12/07/2017
The 15-member Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class was unveiled today by current members of the...
- Online Stores