Cavaliers go into ACC play winners of seven of the last eight games
Virginia scores season-high, 13 runs in series finale
Colonels rally for three runs in the ninth
Virginia offense scores 10 runs on 14 hits
Cavalier junior recognized by Collegiate Baseball, D1Baseball.com & Baseball America
• Played in all 59 games (41 LF, 15 CF, 3 RF)
• Competed with U.S. Collegiate National Team
• Tied for second on team with 80 hits
• Stole 27 bases (in 29 attempts) -- first in ACC and ninth-most nationally (third most in a season in program history)
• Ranked seventh nationally and first in ACC with seven triples (one off UVA single-season record)
• Recorded 25 multiple-hit games
• After batting in 9-hole for 19 games in middle of season, he moved back into 2-slot for final 16 games and batted .414 (24-58) in that time
• Was 4-for-13 in NCAA tournament and 2-for-9 in ACC tournament
• Earned ACC Player of the Week honors following final week of regular season (12-for-21, 6 XBH, 6 RBI in four games vs. Richmond and Georgia Tech)
• Recorded first career multi-homer game with pair of long balls at Georgia Tech (5/18)
• Hit go-ahead, two-run home run in fifth inning at Florida State (4/29); reached base four times and scored twice in the game
• Had five hits in Virginia Tech and Notre Dame series
• Stole second bases and scored seven runs in Rutgers series
• Played in six games, making five starts
• Tore ligaments in big toe (right foot) on Feb. 27 against East Carolina and missed rest of season
• Had hits in four of his five starts
• Recorded two hits at Coastal Carolina (2/21) and followed it up with three-hit game against VMI (2/23)
• Selected in 23rd round of 2015 MLB Draft by Pittsburgh Pirates
• Four-year letterwinner in baseball, football and basketball
• Three-time all-league selection and 2015 all-region honoree in baseball
• Three-time all-region and all-league pick in football; named First-Team All-State running back in 2014
• Named 2014-15 Times-Tribune Male Athlete of the Year
• Batted .442 his senior year with three home runs, 19 hits, 20 runs in 15 games
• Holds school record for rushing yards in school history (6,080), season (2,105) and game (351)
• Also holds school touchdown records for school history (80), season (30) and game (5)
• Lackawanna Football Conference Division I career record holder in rushing, scoring and touchdowns
• In injury-shortened senior season, he rushed for 1730 yards and 30 touchdowns in just eight games and was named Lackawanna Football Conference Division I Offensive Player of Year
• Won league and district team championships with football and basketball
• Coached by Jamie Higgins (baseball) and Mike Marichak (football)
• Member of National Honor Society
• Played travel team baseball with Baseball U
• Parents are Joe and Joanne McCarthy
• Has one sister, Morgan and one brother, Joe
• Brother played at UVA from 2013-15 and currently plays in the Tampa Bay Rays organization
• Father played baseball at South Carolina and was drafted three times
• McCarthy family (Joe Sr., Joe Jr., Jake and Morgan) all wore No. 31 at Scranton HS, and number was retired on Oct. 23, 2015
'Hoos Exit With Heads Held HighWomen's Basketball3/19/18In its first trip to the NCAA tourney since 2010, 10th-seeded Virginia went 1-1 in Columbia, S.C., defeating seventh-seeded Cal and losing to second-seeded South Carolina.'Hoos Look To Take Next Step in NCAA TourneyWomen's Basketball3/18/18A win Sunday night over second-seeded South Carolina would send 10th-seeded Virginia to the NCAA tournament's Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2000.End Comes Too Soon for No. 1 CavaliersMen's Basketball3/17/18In the NCAA tournament's first round, No. 1 seed Virginia lost 74-54 to No. 16 seed UMBC in a South Region game in Charlotte, N.C.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Travels to Miami for Weekend ACC Series
Baseball | 3/22/2018
No. 24 Virginia will begin a three-game Atlantic Coast Conference series at Miam on Friday at 7.p...
ACC Play Resumes for No. 21 Virginia
Baseball | 3/15/2018
No. 21 Virginia will play its first home ACC series this weekend when it hosts BC at Disharoon...
No. 21 Virginia Drops Series Opener to BC
Baseball | 3/16/2018
Boston College scored five of the game’s last six runs in a 6-2 series opening victory over...
Game Two Start Time Moved to 3:30 p.m.
Baseball | 3/17/2018
The first pitch of Saturday’s (March 17) ACC game against Boston College has been moved to ...
Cavaliers Even Series with Boston College
Baseball | 3/17/2018
A five-run, seventh inning and a career day from Daniel Lynch helped Virginia to even the series ...
No. 21 Virginia Clinches Series in Walk-off Fashion
Baseball | 3/18/2018
Virginia scored three runs in the bottom of the 10th inning as part of a 10-9 series-clinching...
No. 24 Virginia Hosts Towson in Midweek Series
Baseball | 03/19/2018
No. 24 Virginia will host Towson in a two-game midweek series beginning on Tuesday and concluding...
Virginia-Towson Midweek Series Cancelled
Baseball | 03/20/2018
The Virginia-Towson midweek baseball series, scheduled to take place on Tuesday (March 20) and...
- Online Stores