Crowd of over 1,000 watches as NCAA champions receive rings
Cavaliers take College World Series with 4-2 win over reigning champion Vanderbilt
Cavaliers and Commodores play for national championship at 8 p.m. Wednesday
Cavaliers play Vanderbilt beginning Monday in best-of-three finals
Waddell, Sborz combine on two-hitter
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
The Virginia Cavaliers vs. Florida Gators in the College World Series on June 6, 2015.
Images from UVa's run through College World Series and to the national title
Virginia takes on Florida in the College World Series
Photos from Virginia's game against Arkansas on Saturday, June 13, 2015.
• Finished seventh in program history with 80 career pitching appearances
• Recorded 17 career saves (sixth in program history)
• Made 14 career NCAA tournament appearances, most in program history
• Finished with four career College World Series wins (tied for second in CWS history)
• Named Most Outstanding Player at NCAA College World Series
• Selected in Competitive Balance Round B of 2015 MLB Draft with 74th overall pick by Los Angeles Dodgers
• Earned Second-Team All-ACC honors at relief pitcher
• Named to midseason NCBWA Stopper of Year Watch List
• Did not allow an earned run over the final 27 innings of his UVa career, dating to May 15 (was 6-0 after UVa’s exam break)
• Was sensational in NCAA tournament and did not allow an earned run in 19 innings of relief in eight games (4-0, 3 saves, R, 9 H, 5 BB, 16 K)
• Finished eight of UVa’s 10 wins in NCAA tournament, including all three regional games, one in super regional and four in CWS
• Dominated in the College World Series, going 3-0 with a save in four appearances, covering 13 innings
• Became 11th player in CWS history to earn three wins in one CWS
• Earned wins over Arkansas (6/13), Florida (6/20) and Vanderbilt (6/23) as well as save against Florida (6/15) in CWS
• Recorded a win and save in NCAA regional, picking up a save in opener vs USC and win vs. SDSU; also closed out the 11th inning in championship game win over USC
• Led ACC with 15 saves (fourth in UVa single-season history); ranked sixth nationally in saves
• Tied for league lead with six saves in ACC play
• Made team-high 33 appearances (third most in a season in school history)
• Posted 2-0 record with 1.35 ERA over 20 IP in three starts
• Allowed 5.05 hits per nine innings (fifth best nationally)
• Took perfect game into seventh inning in ACC tournament game against Georgia Tech before settling for 1-hitter in 7-inning shutout win (5/19); it was his first career CG and shutout
• Made first start of 2015 on April 26 at NC State, working six innings of two-run baseball; followed it up with seven-inning outing to clinch series win against Duke (5/10)
• Appeared in 15 games, including 13 starts
• Ranked seventh in ACC in opponent batting average (.210)
• Allowed one earned run and 10 hits in 13 innings while going 2-0 during NCAA tournament
• Worked twice in College World Series; earned win against Ole Miss, allowing one unearned run and four hits over five innings (spanning two days) to clinch bracket championship (6/20-21)
• Started Game 3 of NCAA Super Regional against Maryland and worked seven shutout innings, striking out nine to earn win (6/9)
• Worked out of bullpen for first time in 2014 in win at Wake Forest (5/16)
• Took no decision against Georgia Tech after not allowing earned run over 6 IP (R, 2H, 2BB)
• Grinded through five innings to earn win over UNC (allowed season-high nine hits but stranded nine runners and gave up just one run)
• Took no-hitter into sixth inning against Clemson but was saddled with loss (5 1/3 IP, 3 ER, 1 H, 3 BB)
• Allowed one run and struck out five in 5 1/3 innings at Pitt (4/5)
• Worked seven innings of one-hit baseball at Miami (3/23); struck out career-best 10 batters
• Struggled with control against Duke, walking career high eight batters in 3 2/3 innings, including four straight to finish his outing
• Earned win vs. Monmouth, giving up two runs in five innings (3/2)
• Limited East Carolina to three hits in Saturday win (2/22)
• No-hit UNC Wilmington over six innings in first career weekend start (2/16); did not allow runner past first base
• Pitched in team-high 30 games (10th most in UVa history), while making three midweek starts
• Was 3-0 with 1.98 ERA in 50 innings
• Batters hit .206 against him
• Recorded two saves on the year
• Named to VaSID All-State second team at relief pitcher
• Worked two perfect innings in NCAA regional, with one each in both games against Elon (6/1-2)
• Pitched twice in ACC tournament, totaling 1 1/3 perfect innings against Georgia Tech (1/3) and Florida State (1)
• Worked twice in UNC series, pitching combined 2 2/3 innings in final two games
• Pitched 2 1/3 scoreless innings against VCU, allowing just one hit (5/14)
• Worked 2 2/3 perfect innings in first game of DH at Virginia Tech (4/27)
• Started and pitched three innings against Richmond (4/24)
• Worked 3 1/3 scoreless innings vs. Radford (4/10)
• Tossed four shutout innings to earn win at Liberty (4/2); allowed just one hit and two baserunners (one on error)
• Worked twice in NC State series, pitching five scoreless innings (allowed two hits, no walks)
• Made midweek start vs. Yale, going three innings to earn win (3/20)
• Earned win in his first college game against East Carolina (2/15)
• Named Virginia State Player of the Year in 2012
• Two-time all-state honoree
• Two-time All-Met selection
• Coached by John Thomas at McLean
• Parents are John and Tina Sborz
• Has one brother, Jay, and two sisters, Heather and Chrissy
• Brother played from 2003-10 in Detroit Tigers organization and made MLB debut in 2010
'Hoos Eager to Take First StepFootball8/29/16At 3:30 p.m. Saturday, against Richmond at Scott Stadium, Bronco Mendenhall makes his debut as Virginia's head football coach.Change Marks New Era at Scott StadiumFootball8/28/16University of Virginia football fans will notice many changes in the team's first season under head coach Bronco Mendenhall.Revamped Cavaliers Ready for New SeasonMen's Soccer8/26/16Newcomers abound for the Virginia men's soccer team, which opens the season Friday night against Coastal Carolina at Klöckner Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia to Play Fall Exhibition Oct. 1 at Liberty
Baseball | 8/30/2016
UVA will play a fall exhibition game at Liberty on Oct. 1 at the Liberty Baseball Stadium in...
Summer Virginia Baseball Update
Baseball | 7/19/2016
Seven Cavaliers earned all-star honors, accounting for half of the 14 UVA players who are...
Summer Virginia Baseball Update
Baseball | 7/6/2016
Get a mid-summer update on current Cavaliers in summer baseball leagues as well as former UVA...
Cavaliers Competing in Summer Baseball Leagues
Baseball | 6/16/2016
Members of the Virginia baseball team have fanned out from coast to coast to compete in summer...
Pinero Selected by Tigers in Ninth Round of MLB Draft
Baseball | 6/10/2016
Pinero was drafted for the third time. He was a 20th-round pick coming out of high school in 2013...
Thaiss, Jones Selected on Day One of MLB Draft
Baseball | 6/10/2016
Thaiss was a first-round selection, going No. 16 overall to the Angels. Jones was a second-round ...
Trio Named All-Americans by Baseball America
Baseball | 06/07/2016
Connor Jones and Matt Thaiss were second-team honorees, while Adam Haseley was a third-team pick.
Jeff White: Wahoos' Season Ends on Painful Note
Baseball | 06/05/2016
Defending NCAA champion Virginia lost Sunday to William & Mary at Davenport Field to finish the...
- Online Stores