Crowd of over 1,000 watches as NCAA champions receive rings
Cavaliers take College World Series with 4-2 win over reigning champion Vanderbilt
Cavaliers and Commodores play for national championship at 8 p.m. Wednesday
Cavaliers play Vanderbilt beginning Monday in best-of-three finals
Waddell, Sborz combine on two-hitter
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
The Virginia Cavaliers vs. Florida Gators in the College World Series on June 6, 2015.
Images from UVa's run through College World Series and to the national title
Virginia takes on Florida in the College World Series
Photos from Virginia's game against Arkansas on Saturday, June 13, 2015.
• Finished seventh in program history with 80 career pitching appearances
• Recorded 17 career saves (sixth in program history)
• Made 14 career NCAA tournament appearances, most in program history
• Finished with four career College World Series wins (tied for second in CWS history)
• Named Most Outstanding Player at NCAA College World Series
• Selected in Competitive Balance Round B of 2015 MLB Draft with 74th overall pick by Los Angeles Dodgers
• Earned Second-Team All-ACC honors at relief pitcher
• Named to midseason NCBWA Stopper of Year Watch List
• Did not allow an earned run over the final 27 innings of his UVa career, dating to May 15 (was 6-0 after UVa’s exam break)
• Was sensational in NCAA tournament and did not allow an earned run in 19 innings of relief in eight games (4-0, 3 saves, R, 9 H, 5 BB, 16 K)
• Finished eight of UVa’s 10 wins in NCAA tournament, including all three regional games, one in super regional and four in CWS
• Dominated in the College World Series, going 3-0 with a save in four appearances, covering 13 innings
• Became 11th player in CWS history to earn three wins in one CWS
• Earned wins over Arkansas (6/13), Florida (6/20) and Vanderbilt (6/23) as well as save against Florida (6/15) in CWS
• Recorded a win and save in NCAA regional, picking up a save in opener vs USC and win vs. SDSU; also closed out the 11th inning in championship game win over USC
• Led ACC with 15 saves (fourth in UVa single-season history); ranked sixth nationally in saves
• Tied for league lead with six saves in ACC play
• Made team-high 33 appearances (third most in a season in school history)
• Posted 2-0 record with 1.35 ERA over 20 IP in three starts
• Allowed 5.05 hits per nine innings (fifth best nationally)
• Took perfect game into seventh inning in ACC tournament game against Georgia Tech before settling for 1-hitter in 7-inning shutout win (5/19); it was his first career CG and shutout
• Made first start of 2015 on April 26 at NC State, working six innings of two-run baseball; followed it up with seven-inning outing to clinch series win against Duke (5/10)
• Appeared in 15 games, including 13 starts
• Ranked seventh in ACC in opponent batting average (.210)
• Allowed one earned run and 10 hits in 13 innings while going 2-0 during NCAA tournament
• Worked twice in College World Series; earned win against Ole Miss, allowing one unearned run and four hits over five innings (spanning two days) to clinch bracket championship (6/20-21)
• Started Game 3 of NCAA Super Regional against Maryland and worked seven shutout innings, striking out nine to earn win (6/9)
• Worked out of bullpen for first time in 2014 in win at Wake Forest (5/16)
• Took no decision against Georgia Tech after not allowing earned run over 6 IP (R, 2H, 2BB)
• Grinded through five innings to earn win over UNC (allowed season-high nine hits but stranded nine runners and gave up just one run)
• Took no-hitter into sixth inning against Clemson but was saddled with loss (5 1/3 IP, 3 ER, 1 H, 3 BB)
• Allowed one run and struck out five in 5 1/3 innings at Pitt (4/5)
• Worked seven innings of one-hit baseball at Miami (3/23); struck out career-best 10 batters
• Struggled with control against Duke, walking career high eight batters in 3 2/3 innings, including four straight to finish his outing
• Earned win vs. Monmouth, giving up two runs in five innings (3/2)
• Limited East Carolina to three hits in Saturday win (2/22)
• No-hit UNC Wilmington over six innings in first career weekend start (2/16); did not allow runner past first base
• Pitched in team-high 30 games (10th most in UVa history), while making three midweek starts
• Was 3-0 with 1.98 ERA in 50 innings
• Batters hit .206 against him
• Recorded two saves on the year
• Named to VaSID All-State second team at relief pitcher
• Worked two perfect innings in NCAA regional, with one each in both games against Elon (6/1-2)
• Pitched twice in ACC tournament, totaling 1 1/3 perfect innings against Georgia Tech (1/3) and Florida State (1)
• Worked twice in UNC series, pitching combined 2 2/3 innings in final two games
• Pitched 2 1/3 scoreless innings against VCU, allowing just one hit (5/14)
• Worked 2 2/3 perfect innings in first game of DH at Virginia Tech (4/27)
• Started and pitched three innings against Richmond (4/24)
• Worked 3 1/3 scoreless innings vs. Radford (4/10)
• Tossed four shutout innings to earn win at Liberty (4/2); allowed just one hit and two baserunners (one on error)
• Worked twice in NC State series, pitching five scoreless innings (allowed two hits, no walks)
• Made midweek start vs. Yale, going three innings to earn win (3/20)
• Earned win in his first college game against East Carolina (2/15)
• Named Virginia State Player of the Year in 2012
• Two-time all-state honoree
• Two-time All-Met selection
• Coached by John Thomas at McLean
• Parents are John and Tina Sborz
• Has one brother, Jay, and two sisters, Heather and Chrissy
• Brother played from 2003-10 in Detroit Tigers organization and made MLB debut in 2010
Lynch Makes Timely Return to MoundBaseball5/28/16In his first appearance since April 13, freshman Daniel Lynch retired all four batters he faced Friday in Virginia's ACC tournament loss to Wake Forest.Transfers Eager to Help Lift ProgramFootball5/26/16UVA's football team added three transfers this spring: quarterback Kurt Benkert, offensive guard Jared Cohen and defensive end Jack Powers.Cavaliers' Reign Atop NCAA ContinuesMen's Tennis5/25/16With a 4-1 win over Oklahoma on Tuesday night, top-seeded Virginia captured its second straight NCAA men's title and third in four seasons.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Brackets Announced for Charlottesville Regional
Baseball | 5/30/2016
Virginia, Bryant, East Carolina and William & Mary comprise the four-team, double-elimination...
Virginia Selected as Host Site for NCAA Regional
Baseball | 5/29/2016
The four-team, double-elimination tournament will run June 3-6 at Virginia’s Davenport Field.
Big Inning Keys UVA to 7-2 Win Over Louisville
Baseball | 5/28/2016
With his 595th career win, 13th-year head coach Brian O’Connor became the winningest coach ...
Jeff White: Lynch Makes Timely Return to Mound
Baseball | 5/28/2016
In his first appearance since April 13, Daniel Lynch retired all four batters he faced in...
No. 7 Virginia Falls 10-9 to Wake Forest
Baseball | 5/27/2016
Adam Haseley hit a pair of triples and drove in three runs as part of a three-hit day while...
No. 7 Virginia Falls to No. 12 Clemson, 5-4
Baseball | 5/26/2016
Matt Thaiss and Daniel Pinero each homered and went 2-for-3 for the Cavaliers in the narrow setback.
NCAA Regional, Super Regional Ticket Books On Sale Friday
Baseball | 05/26/2016
Potential Regional would be played June 3-6 at Davenport Field, Super Regional June 10-12 or 11-13.
No. 3 Seed UVA Begins ACC Tournament Thursday
Baseball | 05/25/2016
The No. 3 seed Cavaliers face No. 6 seed Clemson Thursday, No. 10 Wake Forest Friday and No. 2 ...
- Online Stores