Cavaliers take College World Series with 4-2 win over reigning champion Vanderbilt
Cavaliers and Commodores play for national championship at 8 p.m. Wednesday
Cavaliers play Vanderbilt beginning Monday in best-of-three finals
Waddell, Sborz combine on two-hitter
Cavaliers advance to face Florida or Miami on Monday evening in Omaha
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
The Virginia Cavaliers vs. Florida Gators in the College World Series on June 6, 2015.
Images from UVa's run through College World Series and to the national title
Virginia takes on Florida in the College World Series
Photos from Virginia's game against Arkansas on Saturday, June 13, 2015.
• Finished seventh in program history with 80 career pitching appearances
• Recorded 17 career saves (sixth in program history)
• Made 14 career NCAA tournament appearances, most in program history
• Finished with four career College World Series wins (tied for second in CWS history)
• Named Most Outstanding Player at NCAA College World Series
• Selected in Competitive Balance Round B of 2015 MLB Draft with 74th overall pick by Los Angeles Dodgers
• Earned Second-Team All-ACC honors at relief pitcher
• Named to midseason NCBWA Stopper of Year Watch List
• Did not allow an earned run over the final 27 innings of his UVa career, dating to May 15 (was 6-0 after UVa’s exam break)
• Was sensational in NCAA tournament and did not allow an earned run in 19 innings of relief in eight games (4-0, 3 saves, R, 9 H, 5 BB, 16 K)
• Finished eight of UVa’s 10 wins in NCAA tournament, including all three regional games, one in super regional and four in CWS
• Dominated in the College World Series, going 3-0 with a save in four appearances, covering 13 innings
• Became 11th player in CWS history to earn three wins in one CWS
• Earned wins over Arkansas (6/13), Florida (6/20) and Vanderbilt (6/23) as well as save against Florida (6/15) in CWS
• Recorded a win and save in NCAA regional, picking up a save in opener vs USC and win vs. SDSU; also closed out the 11th inning in championship game win over USC
• Led ACC with 15 saves (fourth in UVa single-season history); ranked sixth nationally in saves
• Tied for league lead with six saves in ACC play
• Made team-high 33 appearances (third most in a season in school history)
• Posted 2-0 record with 1.35 ERA over 20 IP in three starts
• Allowed 5.05 hits per nine innings (fifth best nationally)
• Took perfect game into seventh inning in ACC tournament game against Georgia Tech before settling for 1-hitter in 7-inning shutout win (5/19); it was his first career CG and shutout
• Made first start of 2015 on April 26 at NC State, working six innings of two-run baseball; followed it up with seven-inning outing to clinch series win against Duke (5/10)
• Appeared in 15 games, including 13 starts
• Ranked seventh in ACC in opponent batting average (.210)
• Allowed one earned run and 10 hits in 13 innings while going 2-0 during NCAA tournament
• Worked twice in College World Series; earned win against Ole Miss, allowing one unearned run and four hits over five innings (spanning two days) to clinch bracket championship (6/20-21)
• Started Game 3 of NCAA Super Regional against Maryland and worked seven shutout innings, striking out nine to earn win (6/9)
• Worked out of bullpen for first time in 2014 in win at Wake Forest (5/16)
• Took no decision against Georgia Tech after not allowing earned run over 6 IP (R, 2H, 2BB)
• Grinded through five innings to earn win over UNC (allowed season-high nine hits but stranded nine runners and gave up just one run)
• Took no-hitter into sixth inning against Clemson but was saddled with loss (5 1/3 IP, 3 ER, 1 H, 3 BB)
• Allowed one run and struck out five in 5 1/3 innings at Pitt (4/5)
• Worked seven innings of one-hit baseball at Miami (3/23); struck out career-best 10 batters
• Struggled with control against Duke, walking career high eight batters in 3 2/3 innings, including four straight to finish his outing
• Earned win vs. Monmouth, giving up two runs in five innings (3/2)
• Limited East Carolina to three hits in Saturday win (2/22)
• No-hit UNC Wilmington over six innings in first career weekend start (2/16); did not allow runner past first base
• Pitched in team-high 30 games (10th most in UVa history), while making three midweek starts
• Was 3-0 with 1.98 ERA in 50 innings
• Batters hit .206 against him
• Recorded two saves on the year
• Named to VaSID All-State second team at relief pitcher
• Worked two perfect innings in NCAA regional, with one each in both games against Elon (6/1-2)
• Pitched twice in ACC tournament, totaling 1 1/3 perfect innings against Georgia Tech (1/3) and Florida State (1)
• Worked twice in UNC series, pitching combined 2 2/3 innings in final two games
• Pitched 2 1/3 scoreless innings against VCU, allowing just one hit (5/14)
• Worked 2 2/3 perfect innings in first game of DH at Virginia Tech (4/27)
• Started and pitched three innings against Richmond (4/24)
• Worked 3 1/3 scoreless innings vs. Radford (4/10)
• Tossed four shutout innings to earn win at Liberty (4/2); allowed just one hit and two baserunners (one on error)
• Worked twice in NC State series, pitching five scoreless innings (allowed two hits, no walks)
• Made midweek start vs. Yale, going three innings to earn win (3/20)
• Earned win in his first college game against East Carolina (2/15) PREP
• Named Virginia State Player of the Year in 2012
• Two-time all-state honoree
• Two-time All-Met selection
• Coached by John Thomas at McLean PERSONAL
• Parents are John and Tina Sborz
• Has one brother, Jay, and two sisters, Heather and Chrissy
• Brother played from 2003-10 in Detroit Tigers organization and made MLB debut in 2010
Cavalier Football: Virginia Tech PostscriptFootball11/29/15Virginia's sixth season under head coach Mike London ended Saturday with a 23-20 loss to Virginia Tech at Scott Stadium.End Comes Too Soon for 'HoosWomen's Soccer11/28/15In women's soccer, Virginia finished with a 19-1-13 after falling in the NCAA quarterfinals to Rutgers in a penalty-kick shootout Friday at Klöckner Stadium.Stage Set for Season FinaleFootball11/27/15At noon Saturday, in the rivals' annual clash for the Commonwealth Cup, Virginia (4-7, 3-4) meets Virginia Tech (5-6, 3-4) at Scott Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Doherty Walk-Off Single Lifts Orange to World Series Crown
Baseball | 10/21/2015
Kevin Doherty hit the walk-off, two-run single in the ninth and also pitched two innings to earn ...
Blue Wins Game 6, 12-3, Forces Decisive Game 7 Tuesday
Baseball | 10/19/2015
The decisive seventh game will be played at 3:15 p.m. Tuesday (Oct. 20). Please note the game...
Virginia Faces High Point Friday in Fall Exhibition
Baseball | 10/15/2015
The first 1,000 fans in attendance Friday will receive a national championship commemorative poster.
Step Up to Plate, National Championship Ring Ceremony Set...
Baseball | 10/12/2015
The annual fundraiser takes on a special tone this year as UVA also will present its first NCAA...
UVA Plays Ontario Blue Jays at 4 p.m. Tuesday
Baseball | 10/12/2015
Virginia will play the Ontario Blue Jays at 4 p.m. Tuesday (Oct. 13) in an exhibition game at...
Season Tickets on Sale Monday (Oct. 12)
Baseball | 10/12/2015
Season tickets are available for fans to purchase in the reserved bleacher sections H through L...
Virginia Baseball Unveils 2016 Schedule
Baseball | 10/07/2015
The reigning national champions begin their season Feb. 19-21 in Myrtle Beach, S.C., before...
Blue Takes Games 4 and 5 of Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 10/07/2015
UVA takes break from series to play pair of exhibition games next week. Game 6 of series is set...
- Online Stores