Cavaliers pile up 14 hits in series-opening win
Cavaliers win opener, 5-1, before rallying in ninth to take Game 2, 7-6
Cavaliers score eight unanswered runs as bullpen tosses seven shutout innings
Three Cavaliers named to midseason Golden Spikes Award Watch List
Cavaliers take series, two games to one
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia takes on Florida in the College World Series
Photos from Virginia's game against Arkansas on Saturday, June 13, 2015.
Baseball vs. Miami (By Kelsey Grant)
• Named to watch list for John Olerud Two-Way Player Award
• Led team with 27 pitching appearances (13th in ACC)
• Worked 4 2/3 scoreless innings over two outings in NC State series
• Earned first win of season with 1 1/3 innings of relief against UNC (4/17)
• Fired 2 2/3 perfect innings at ODU to nab first save of season (4/26)
• Allowed one hit over four scoreless innings of relief to earn save in series opener against Virginia Tech (5/19)
• Worked two scoreless innings in NCAA regional game against William & Mary (6/5)
• Started in the batting order in five games (four at DH, one in LF)
• Hit walk-off single in 11-inning win over Monmouth (3/5)
• Named to John Olerud Award Watch List
• Selected to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Batted in 43 games, starting 39 (15 LF, 15 RF, 9 DH)
• Also made 23 appearances out of bullpen (third on team)
• Reached base safely in 34 of his 43 games at plate (.354 OBP)
• Had two huge hits in NCAA tournament
• Hit go-ahead, three-run double with two outs in eighth inning in Game 1 of super regional against Maryland (6/5)
• Also smacked go-ahead RBI double in 11th inning in regional championship game against USC (5/31)
• Drew bases-loaded walk in ninth inning of Game 2 of super regional, just preceding Ernie Clement’s walk-off hit (6/6)
• Hit first college home run at Virginia Tech (3/15)
• Opposing batters hit .185 against him
• Allowed one earned run in 3 1/3 innings against USC (5/31)
• Worked three perfect innings and struck out four in earning save in Game 3 of series at North Carolina (5/16)
• Tossed three innings in earning save at Notre Dame (3/28)
• Pitched five scoreless innings of relief in UVa’s 18-inning win over Marist (2/22)
• Picked up first career save with two shutout innings of relief against La Salle (2/21)
• Came out of bullpen 10 times
• Pitched in first ACC game on April 26 at Florida State, striking out both batters he faced
• Finished Old Dominion game with two scoreless innings (4/1)
• Worked two perfect innings in wins over Princeton (3/20) and Longwood (3/26)
• Pitched in three games in relief, totaling 3 2/3 scoreless innings
• Tossed one scoreless innings against Bucknell (3/3) and Yale (3/20)
• Worked 1 2/3 innings against Toledo (2/22)
• Two-time All-Met selection (first team in 2012, HM in 2011)
• Two-time First-Team All-Montgomery County honoree (2011, 2012)
• Twice named First-Team Washington Catholic Athletic Conference (2011, 2012); honorable mention selection in 2010
• Went 4-1 with 1.60 ERA in 2012 (35 IP, .187 BAA, 48 strikeouts)
• Also hit .361 in 2012 with two homers and 20 RBI
• Coached by Carl Smith
• Named to Academic Honor Roll in 2012
• Played travel team baseball with Mid-Atlantic Red Sox
• Parents are Thomas and Susan Doherty
• Father played baseball at Springfield College
• Has two sisters, Allison and Laura
Afamefuna Thriving in New RoleMen's Soccer4/24/17After making the ACC's All-Freshman team as a defender last fall, Virginia's Robin Afamefuna is looking to contribute more at the attacking end this year.'Hoos Head Into Postseason on High NoteWomen's Lacrosse4/22/17In its regular-season finale, Virginia clinched the No. 3 seed in the ACC tournament with a 6-5 win over Virginia Tech at Klöckner Stadium.Coleman Making Most of OpportunityFootball4/21/17Lester Coleman, who'll be a redshirt junior in the fall, has emerged as a strong candidate to succeed Nicholas Conte as Virginia's punter.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia-Radford Game Cancelled
Baseball | 4/25/2017
Scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday (April 25), the game has been cancelled because of inclement weather...
No. 10 Virginia Plays Host to Radford Tuesday
Baseball | 4/24/2017
No. 11 Virginia Dominates Notre Dame, 9-0, to Win Series
Baseball | 4/22/2017
Noah Murdock and Alec Bettinger combined on a five-hit shutout as UVA picked up its third...
No. 11 Virginia Splits DH With Notre Dame
Baseball | 4/22/2017
Please note: The series finale Saturday has been moved to an 11 a.m. start time because of...
No. 11 Virginia Welcomes Notre Dame for ACC Series
Baseball | 4/20/2017
The original schedule has been altered, and the teams will play a doubleheader Friday, followed...
Schedule Altered for Virginia-Notre Dame Series
Baseball | 4/20/2017
The teams will play at doubleheader at 4 p.m. Friday. The series finale will be played at 4 p.m. ...
Lynch Dazzles as No. 11 Virginia Tops JMU, 7-2
Baseball | 04/19/2017
Lynch scattered six hits in his first career complete game as Virginia won for the 10th time in...
No. 11 Virginia Cruises Past Longwood, 13-2
Baseball | 04/18/2017
The Cavaliers limited Longwood to two hits while three UVA pitchers combined to strike out 14...
- Online Stores