Cavaliers pile up 14 hits in series-opening win
Cavaliers win opener, 5-1, before rallying in ninth to take Game 2, 7-6
Cavaliers score eight unanswered runs as bullpen tosses seven shutout innings
Three Cavaliers named to midseason Golden Spikes Award Watch List
Cavaliers take series, two games to one
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia takes on Florida in the College World Series
Photos from Virginia's game against Arkansas on Saturday, June 13, 2015.
Baseball vs. Miami (By Kelsey Grant)
• Named to watch list for John Olerud Two-Way Player Award
• Led team with 27 pitching appearances (13th in ACC)
• Worked 4 2/3 scoreless innings over two outings in NC State series
• Earned first win of season with 1 1/3 innings of relief against UNC (4/17)
• Fired 2 2/3 perfect innings at ODU to nab first save of season (4/26)
• Allowed one hit over four scoreless innings of relief to earn save in series opener against Virginia Tech (5/19)
• Worked two scoreless innings in NCAA regional game against William & Mary (6/5)
• Started in the batting order in five games (four at DH, one in LF)
• Hit walk-off single in 11-inning win over Monmouth (3/5)
• Named to John Olerud Award Watch List
• Selected to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Batted in 43 games, starting 39 (15 LF, 15 RF, 9 DH)
• Also made 23 appearances out of bullpen (third on team)
• Reached base safely in 34 of his 43 games at plate (.354 OBP)
• Had two huge hits in NCAA tournament
• Hit go-ahead, three-run double with two outs in eighth inning in Game 1 of super regional against Maryland (6/5)
• Also smacked go-ahead RBI double in 11th inning in regional championship game against USC (5/31)
• Drew bases-loaded walk in ninth inning of Game 2 of super regional, just preceding Ernie Clement’s walk-off hit (6/6)
• Hit first college home run at Virginia Tech (3/15)
• Opposing batters hit .185 against him
• Allowed one earned run in 3 1/3 innings against USC (5/31)
• Worked three perfect innings and struck out four in earning save in Game 3 of series at North Carolina (5/16)
• Tossed three innings in earning save at Notre Dame (3/28)
• Pitched five scoreless innings of relief in UVa’s 18-inning win over Marist (2/22)
• Picked up first career save with two shutout innings of relief against La Salle (2/21)
• Came out of bullpen 10 times
• Pitched in first ACC game on April 26 at Florida State, striking out both batters he faced
• Finished Old Dominion game with two scoreless innings (4/1)
• Worked two perfect innings in wins over Princeton (3/20) and Longwood (3/26)
• Pitched in three games in relief, totaling 3 2/3 scoreless innings
• Tossed one scoreless innings against Bucknell (3/3) and Yale (3/20)
• Worked 1 2/3 innings against Toledo (2/22)
• Two-time All-Met selection (first team in 2012, HM in 2011)
• Two-time First-Team All-Montgomery County honoree (2011, 2012)
• Twice named First-Team Washington Catholic Athletic Conference (2011, 2012); honorable mention selection in 2010
• Went 4-1 with 1.60 ERA in 2012 (35 IP, .187 BAA, 48 strikeouts)
• Also hit .361 in 2012 with two homers and 20 RBI
• Coached by Carl Smith
• Named to Academic Honor Roll in 2012
• Played travel team baseball with Mid-Atlantic Red Sox
• Parents are Thomas and Susan Doherty
• Father played baseball at Springfield College
• Has two sisters, Allison and Laura
Nicholson Shines On and Off Water at UVAWomen's Rowing5/25/17Allie Nicholson, who had never rowed before arriving at UVA in 2013, is now a key member of one of the nation's top programs.'Hoos Eager to Make More HistoryMen's Tennis5/22/17A win over No. 9 seed North Carolina on Tuesday afternoon would give second-seeded Virginia its third straight NCAA men's tennis title.McKee Thriving in New SurroundingsTrack & Field, Cross Country5/22/17A transfer from Kansas, Kelly McKee will compete in the triple jump this week at the NCAA East Regional meet in Lexington, Kentucky.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
UVA Uses Big First Inning to Cruise Past Clemson, 10-2
Baseball | 5/26/2017
Virginia scored eight runs in the first inning and rolled to the win behind seven strong innings ...
Virginia Falls to Duke in ACC Pool Play, 4-3
Baseball | 5/25/2017
Virginia concludes pool play at noon Friday against Clemson at UofL's Jim Patterson Stadium.
Virginia's ACC Tournament Schedule Altered
Baseball | 5/24/2017
Virginia will play Duke at 3 p.m. Thursday at Louisville Slugger Field and Clemson at noon Friday...
No. 10 Virginia Opens ACC Tournament Play Thursday
Baseball | 5/24/2017
The fourth-seeded Cavaliers play No. 9 seed Duke Thursday and No. 5 seed Clemson Friday in...
McCarthy Named to Collegiate National Team
Baseball | 5/24/2017
Virginia sophomore outfielder Jake McCarthy has received and accepted an invitation to compete on...
Six Cavaliers Named to 2017 All-ACC Team
Baseball | 5/22/2017
First-team honorees Adam Haseley and Pavin Smith highlighted six Cavaliers on the 2017 All-ACC Team.
McCarthy Named ACC Player of Week
Baseball | 05/22/2017
McCarthy had a big week, going 12-for-21 (.571) with a home run and six RBI while recording four ...
ACC Baseball Championship Schedule Announced
Baseball | 05/21/2017
Virginia plays Duke at 11 a.m. Thursday and Clemson at 11 a.m. Friday in Louisville, Ky.
- Online Stores