Cavaliers pile up 14 hits in series-opening win
Cavaliers win opener, 5-1, before rallying in ninth to take Game 2, 7-6
Cavaliers score eight unanswered runs as bullpen tosses seven shutout innings
Three Cavaliers named to midseason Golden Spikes Award Watch List
Cavaliers take series, two games to one
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia takes on Florida in the College World Series
Photos from Virginia's game against Arkansas on Saturday, June 13, 2015.
Baseball vs. Miami (By Kelsey Grant)
• Named to watch list for John Olerud Two-Way Player Award
• Led team with 27 pitching appearances (13th in ACC)
• Worked 4 2/3 scoreless innings over two outings in NC State series
• Earned first win of season with 1 1/3 innings of relief against UNC (4/17)
• Fired 2 2/3 perfect innings at ODU to nab first save of season (4/26)
• Allowed one hit over four scoreless innings of relief to earn save in series opener against Virginia Tech (5/19)
• Worked two scoreless innings in NCAA regional game against William & Mary (6/5)
• Started in the batting order in five games (four at DH, one in LF)
• Hit walk-off single in 11-inning win over Monmouth (3/5)
• Named to John Olerud Award Watch List
• Selected to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Batted in 43 games, starting 39 (15 LF, 15 RF, 9 DH)
• Also made 23 appearances out of bullpen (third on team)
• Reached base safely in 34 of his 43 games at plate (.354 OBP)
• Had two huge hits in NCAA tournament
• Hit go-ahead, three-run double with two outs in eighth inning in Game 1 of super regional against Maryland (6/5)
• Also smacked go-ahead RBI double in 11th inning in regional championship game against USC (5/31)
• Drew bases-loaded walk in ninth inning of Game 2 of super regional, just preceding Ernie Clement’s walk-off hit (6/6)
• Hit first college home run at Virginia Tech (3/15)
• Opposing batters hit .185 against him
• Allowed one earned run in 3 1/3 innings against USC (5/31)
• Worked three perfect innings and struck out four in earning save in Game 3 of series at North Carolina (5/16)
• Tossed three innings in earning save at Notre Dame (3/28)
• Pitched five scoreless innings of relief in UVa’s 18-inning win over Marist (2/22)
• Picked up first career save with two shutout innings of relief against La Salle (2/21)
• Came out of bullpen 10 times
• Pitched in first ACC game on April 26 at Florida State, striking out both batters he faced
• Finished Old Dominion game with two scoreless innings (4/1)
• Worked two perfect innings in wins over Princeton (3/20) and Longwood (3/26)
• Pitched in three games in relief, totaling 3 2/3 scoreless innings
• Tossed one scoreless innings against Bucknell (3/3) and Yale (3/20)
• Worked 1 2/3 innings against Toledo (2/22)
• Two-time All-Met selection (first team in 2012, HM in 2011)
• Two-time First-Team All-Montgomery County honoree (2011, 2012)
• Twice named First-Team Washington Catholic Athletic Conference (2011, 2012); honorable mention selection in 2010
• Went 4-1 with 1.60 ERA in 2012 (35 IP, .187 BAA, 48 strikeouts)
• Also hit .361 in 2012 with two homers and 20 RBI
• Coached by Carl Smith
• Named to Academic Honor Roll in 2012
• Played travel team baseball with Mid-Atlantic Red Sox
• Parents are Thomas and Susan Doherty
• Father played baseball at Springfield College
• Has two sisters, Allison and Laura
Summer Buildup Begins in EarnestMen's Basketball6/28/16The Virginia men's basketball team, which will travel to Spain in August, held its first practice of the summer Tuesday at JPJ.O'Leary Takes Unusual Path to OlympicsWomen's Rowing6/27/16Meghan O'Leary, who played softball and volleyball at UVA, will represent the United States in rowing at the Olympics this summer.Tiffany Plans to Push Pace at UVAMen's Lacrosse6/21/16New men's lacrosse coach Lars Tiffany comes to Virginia from Brown, which went 16-3 and led the nation in scoring this season.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Cavaliers Competing in Summer Baseball Leagues
Baseball | 6/16/2016
Members of the Virginia baseball team have fanned out from coast to coast to compete in summer...
Pinero Selected by Tigers in Ninth Round of MLB Draft
Baseball | 6/10/2016
Pinero was drafted for the third time. He was a 20th-round pick coming out of high school in 2013...
Thaiss, Jones Selected on Day One of MLB Draft
Baseball | 6/10/2016
Thaiss was a first-round selection, going No. 16 overall to the Angels. Jones was a second-round ...
Trio Named All-Americans by Baseball America
Baseball | 6/7/2016
Connor Jones and Matt Thaiss were second-team honorees, while Adam Haseley was a third-team pick.
Jeff White: Wahoos' Season Ends on Painful Note
Baseball | 6/5/2016
Defending NCAA champion Virginia lost Sunday to William & Mary at Davenport Field to finish the...
Virginia Season Ends With 5-4 Loss to W&M
Baseball | 6/5/2016
Daniel Pinero and Jack Gerstenmaier each had three hits for UVA, which finished with a dozen hits...
Jeff White: Cavaliers' Margin for Error Gone
Baseball | 06/05/2016
In the NCAA regional at Davenport Field, top-seeded Virginia meets No. 4 seed William & Mary in...
Sunday NCAA Regional Schedule Altered
Baseball | 06/04/2016
Virginia plays William & Mary at 11 a.m. Sunday, while East Carolina faces the winner at 3 p.m.
- Online Stores