Cavaliers pile up 14 hits in series-opening win
Cavaliers win opener, 5-1, before rallying in ninth to take Game 2, 7-6
Cavaliers score eight unanswered runs as bullpen tosses seven shutout innings
Three Cavaliers named to midseason Golden Spikes Award Watch List
Cavaliers take series, two games to one
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia takes on Florida in the College World Series
Photos from Virginia's game against Arkansas on Saturday, June 13, 2015.
Baseball vs. Miami (By Kelsey Grant)
• Named to watch list for John Olerud Two-Way Player Award
• Led team with 27 pitching appearances (13th in ACC)
• Worked 4 2/3 scoreless innings over two outings in NC State series
• Earned first win of season with 1 1/3 innings of relief against UNC (4/17)
• Fired 2 2/3 perfect innings at ODU to nab first save of season (4/26)
• Allowed one hit over four scoreless innings of relief to earn save in series opener against Virginia Tech (5/19)
• Worked two scoreless innings in NCAA regional game against William & Mary (6/5)
• Started in the batting order in five games (four at DH, one in LF)
• Hit walk-off single in 11-inning win over Monmouth (3/5)
• Named to John Olerud Award Watch List
• Selected to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Batted in 43 games, starting 39 (15 LF, 15 RF, 9 DH)
• Also made 23 appearances out of bullpen (third on team)
• Reached base safely in 34 of his 43 games at plate (.354 OBP)
• Had two huge hits in NCAA tournament
• Hit go-ahead, three-run double with two outs in eighth inning in Game 1 of super regional against Maryland (6/5)
• Also smacked go-ahead RBI double in 11th inning in regional championship game against USC (5/31)
• Drew bases-loaded walk in ninth inning of Game 2 of super regional, just preceding Ernie Clement’s walk-off hit (6/6)
• Hit first college home run at Virginia Tech (3/15)
• Opposing batters hit .185 against him
• Allowed one earned run in 3 1/3 innings against USC (5/31)
• Worked three perfect innings and struck out four in earning save in Game 3 of series at North Carolina (5/16)
• Tossed three innings in earning save at Notre Dame (3/28)
• Pitched five scoreless innings of relief in UVa’s 18-inning win over Marist (2/22)
• Picked up first career save with two shutout innings of relief against La Salle (2/21)
• Came out of bullpen 10 times
• Pitched in first ACC game on April 26 at Florida State, striking out both batters he faced
• Finished Old Dominion game with two scoreless innings (4/1)
• Worked two perfect innings in wins over Princeton (3/20) and Longwood (3/26)
• Pitched in three games in relief, totaling 3 2/3 scoreless innings
• Tossed one scoreless innings against Bucknell (3/3) and Yale (3/20)
• Worked 1 2/3 innings against Toledo (2/22)
• Two-time All-Met selection (first team in 2012, HM in 2011)
• Two-time First-Team All-Montgomery County honoree (2011, 2012)
• Twice named First-Team Washington Catholic Athletic Conference (2011, 2012); honorable mention selection in 2010
• Went 4-1 with 1.60 ERA in 2012 (35 IP, .187 BAA, 48 strikeouts)
• Also hit .361 in 2012 with two homers and 20 RBI
• Coached by Carl Smith
• Named to Academic Honor Roll in 2012
• Played travel team baseball with Mid-Atlantic Red Sox
• Parents are Thomas and Susan Doherty
• Father played baseball at Springfield College
• Has two sisters, Allison and Laura
Hunter Dazzles as 'Hoos Stay UnbeatenMen's Basketball11/19/17Behind a career-high 23 points from redshirt freshman De'Andre Hunter, unbeaten Virginia defeated Monmouth 73-53 on Sunday at JPJ.'Hoos Rue Missed OpportunityFootball11/18/17On an afternoon when Kurt Benkert threw four touchdown passes, Virginia twice built 14-point leads before falling 44-28 to No. 2 Miami at Hard Rock Stadium.Cavalier Football Notebook -- Miami WeekFootball11/16/17Two regular-season games remain for Virginia (6-4 overall, 3-3 ACC), which plays No. 2 Miami (9-0, 6-0) at noon Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Orange Wins Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 11/5/2017
For the third year in a row, Orange was crowned Orange and Blue World Series champions.
Jeff White: Sousa Has Unfinished Business at UVA
Baseball | 11/3/2017
Senior left-hander Bennett Sousa, who was 3-0 with a 4.09 ERA last season, will be a key member...
Inaugural Hall of Fame Class to be Inducted at 2018 Step Up ...
Baseball | 11/2/2017
The Virginia Baseball program will announce its inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class at...
Two-Run, Two-Out Rally Lifts Orange to Game 5 Victory
Baseball | 10/31/2017
Orange took control of the second portion of the seven-game Orange and Blue World Series with a 5...
Blue Takes First Three-Game Series with 5-0 Win in Game 3
Baseball | 10/29/2017
The Blue team captured the first three-game series based on run differential, but the Orange...
Orange & Blue World Series Schedule Changes
Baseball | 10/26/2017
The teams now will play Game 4 at 4 p.m. Saturday and Game 5 at 3:30 p.m. Monday
Orange Pulls Out Game 2 Victory, 5-4
Baseball | 10/24/2017
Nate Eikhoff went 2-for-3 with a homer and three RBI to lead the Orange, while Cameron Comer...
Orange Holds On For Game 1 Win, 3-2
Baseball | 10/20/2017
Jake McCarthy drove in all three of the Orange's runs in a 3-2 Game 1 win over the Blue.
- Online Stores