Cavaliers pile up 14 hits in series-opening win
Cavaliers win opener, 5-1, before rallying in ninth to take Game 2, 7-6
Cavaliers score eight unanswered runs as bullpen tosses seven shutout innings
Three Cavaliers named to midseason Golden Spikes Award Watch List
Cavaliers take series, two games to one
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia takes on Florida in the College World Series
Photos from Virginia's game against Arkansas on Saturday, June 13, 2015.
Baseball vs. Miami (By Kelsey Grant)
• Named to watch list for John Olerud Two-Way Player Award
• Led team with 27 pitching appearances (13th in ACC)
• Worked 4 2/3 scoreless innings over two outings in NC State series
• Earned first win of season with 1 1/3 innings of relief against UNC (4/17)
• Fired 2 2/3 perfect innings at ODU to nab first save of season (4/26)
• Allowed one hit over four scoreless innings of relief to earn save in series opener against Virginia Tech (5/19)
• Worked two scoreless innings in NCAA regional game against William & Mary (6/5)
• Started in the batting order in five games (four at DH, one in LF)
• Hit walk-off single in 11-inning win over Monmouth (3/5)
• Named to John Olerud Award Watch List
• Selected to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Batted in 43 games, starting 39 (15 LF, 15 RF, 9 DH)
• Also made 23 appearances out of bullpen (third on team)
• Reached base safely in 34 of his 43 games at plate (.354 OBP)
• Had two huge hits in NCAA tournament
• Hit go-ahead, three-run double with two outs in eighth inning in Game 1 of super regional against Maryland (6/5)
• Also smacked go-ahead RBI double in 11th inning in regional championship game against USC (5/31)
• Drew bases-loaded walk in ninth inning of Game 2 of super regional, just preceding Ernie Clement’s walk-off hit (6/6)
• Hit first college home run at Virginia Tech (3/15)
• Opposing batters hit .185 against him
• Allowed one earned run in 3 1/3 innings against USC (5/31)
• Worked three perfect innings and struck out four in earning save in Game 3 of series at North Carolina (5/16)
• Tossed three innings in earning save at Notre Dame (3/28)
• Pitched five scoreless innings of relief in UVa’s 18-inning win over Marist (2/22)
• Picked up first career save with two shutout innings of relief against La Salle (2/21)
• Came out of bullpen 10 times
• Pitched in first ACC game on April 26 at Florida State, striking out both batters he faced
• Finished Old Dominion game with two scoreless innings (4/1)
• Worked two perfect innings in wins over Princeton (3/20) and Longwood (3/26)
• Pitched in three games in relief, totaling 3 2/3 scoreless innings
• Tossed one scoreless innings against Bucknell (3/3) and Yale (3/20)
• Worked 1 2/3 innings against Toledo (2/22)
• Two-time All-Met selection (first team in 2012, HM in 2011)
• Two-time First-Team All-Montgomery County honoree (2011, 2012)
• Twice named First-Team Washington Catholic Athletic Conference (2011, 2012); honorable mention selection in 2010
• Went 4-1 with 1.60 ERA in 2012 (35 IP, .187 BAA, 48 strikeouts)
• Also hit .361 in 2012 with two homers and 20 RBI
• Coached by Carl Smith
• Named to Academic Honor Roll in 2012
• Played travel team baseball with Mid-Atlantic Red Sox
• Parents are Thomas and Susan Doherty
• Father played baseball at Springfield College
• Has two sisters, Allison and Laura
Successful Season Ends on Excruciating NoteMen's Basketball3/19/17Virginia's fourth consecutive appearance in the NCAA tournament ended with a 65-39 second-round loss to Florida in Orlando, Fla.'Hoos Hoping For Another Boost From ThompsonMen's Basketball3/18/17In his first start since Dec. 31, Darius Thompson played a team-high 34 minutes Thursday in Virginia's win over UNCW in the NCAA tournament's first round.Kraus Continues Family Tradition at UVAMen's Lacrosse3/17/17First there was Steve Kraus, and then Andy Kraus, and now Michael Kraus in the UVA lacrosse program. Michael, a freshman, is Virginia's second-leading scorer.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 16 Virginia Baseball Topples Towson, 8-4
Baseball | 3/22/2017
Eight Virginia pitchers combined to limit Towson to two hits in the win as the Cavaliers improved...
No. 16 Virginia Picks Up 3-2 Win Over Towson
Baseball | 3/21/2017
The Cavaliers got two hits apiece from Jake McCarthy and Ernie Clement, while three UVA pitchers ...
No. 16 Virginia Tangles With Towson in Two-Game Series
Baseball | 3/20/2017
Virginia Drops Series to Clemson with 12-1 Sunday Loss
Baseball | 3/19/2017
For the second day in a row, Clemson jumped out to an early lead and used it cruise to a 12-1 win...
Hoos' Rally Falls Short in 7-6 Loss at Clemson
Baseball | 3/18/2017
Despite a late-game rally, the No. 11 Virginia baseball team lost the second contest of its three...
Lynch Stellar on Mound in UVA's 2-0 Win at Clemson
Baseball | 3/17/2017
The No. 11 Virginia baseball team used an outstanding pitching performance by sophomore Daniel...
No. 11 UVA Heads to No. 10 Clemson This Weekend
Baseball | 03/16/2017
UVA heads to Clemson Friday through Sunday in the Cavaliers' first trip to Doug Kingsmore Stadium...
No. 11 Virginia Blanks Monmouth, 10-0
Baseball | 03/13/2017
Derek Casey, Alec Bettinger and Riley Wilson combined on a three-hitter for the Cavaliers (14-3).
- Online Stores