La Prise, Towns, Pinero selected Wednesday
By Jeff White (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Three UVa pitchers limit Pirates to five hits
Cavaliers even the series against Vanderbilt with 7-2 victory
Cavaliers defeat Ole Miss 4-1 to advance to finals for first time in program history
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt- College World Series Game 2
Relive all of the excitement by browsing some of the best images from the run to the College World Series.
Virginia beats Ole Miss 4-1 on 6/21/14
Baseball vs. Clemson (by Matt Riley)
Baseball vs. East Carolina 2/23/14
• Selected by Toronto Blue Jays in 19th round of 2015 MLB Draft
• Played in just four games in February while battling injury
• Missed remainder of season after undergoing hip surgery on April 1
• Played in 50 games, including 46 starts (23 at third base, 22 at DH, one at second base)
• Named to Charlottesville Regional All-Tournament Team
• Batted .300 (15-for-50) and started all 12 games in NCAA tournament; was 7-for-13 in regional
• Had four hits in CWS Finals series against Vanderbilt
• Was 3-for-10 in ACC tournament
• Went 3-for-11 with RBI in Georgia Tech series
• Was 3-for-8 in FSU series; hit first career home run in Game 1
• Was 4-for-11 in UNC series
• Cooled off in Clemson series after batting .556 (15-for-27) in previous 10 games
• Was 3-for-3 and reached base in all five plate appearances at James Madison (4/10)
• Started at third and went 2-for-4 with RBI vs. ECU (2/23)
• Had two hits, including RBI double, off bench at William & Mary (2/19)
• Played in 19 games, appearing in nine as pinch hitter
• Earned seven starts, including two in ACC play: May 12 against Duke and May 18 at North Carolina
• Started ACC tournament game against Georgia Tech and had sac fly (5/23)
• Hit two-run triple in 11th inning in win at UNC (5/18)
• Had pinch-hit single, scored run against VCU (5/14)
• Was 1-for-6 in Duke series
• Went 1-for-4 as DH against JMU (4/24)
• Named to All-Southeastern PA Baseball first team in 2012
• Selected as 2012 Bicentennial Athletic League MVP
• Was two-time first-team all-league selection
• Named 2012 team MVP and earned school's 2011 Barry M. Henley Award for baseball
• Earned 2012 Devon Prep Alumni Award for Athletics
• Holds the Devon Prep single-season stolen base, RBI and home run records
• Earned All-Main Line and Daily Local News All-Area first-team honors in 2011
• Coached by Mark Aquilante at Devon Prep
• Also played two years of soccer (center midfield) and three years of basketball (point guard)
• Was a first-team All-Bicentennial Athletic League selection in basketball
• Member of National Honor Society; earned English Award and School Loyalty Award
• Parents are David and Marie La Prise
• Has one sister, Caroline
• Father played soccer at Maine
Transfers Eager to Help Lift ProgramFootball5/26/16UVA's football team added three transfers this spring: quarterback Kurt Benkert, offensive guard Jared Cohen and defensive end Jack Powers.Cavaliers' Reign Atop NCAA ContinuesMen's Tennis5/25/16With a 4-1 win over Oklahoma on Tuesday night, top-seeded Virginia captured its second straight NCAA men's title and third in four seasons.Mihaljevic's Star Continues to RiseTrack & Field, Cross Country5/24/16In junior Filip Mihaljevic, Virginia's track & field team has one of the nation's elite shot putters and discus throwers.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 3 Seed UVA Begins ACC Tournament Thursday
Baseball | 5/25/2016
The No. 3 seed Cavaliers face No. 6 seed Clemson Thursday, No. 10 Wake Forest Friday and No. 2 ...
Four Cavaliers Named to 2016 All-ACC Team
Baseball | 5/23/2016
Connor Jones earned first-team honors at starting pitcher to highlight the Cavaliers’ four ...
ACC Baseball Championship Schedule Announced
Baseball | 5/22/2016
After winning 12 of its final 15 ACC games, UVA ascended to the No. 3 seed and will play Clemson ...
No. 8 Virginia Sweeps Virginia Tech with 4-1 Win
Baseball | 5/21/2016
Haseley (8-3) tossed his first career complete game, allowing just an unearned run and two hits...
Jeff White: Power Surge Contributing to Success
Baseball | 5/21/2016
Timely home runs helped No. 8 Virginia win the first two games of its series with ACC rival...
No. 8 Virginia Walks Off with 7-6 Win over Virginia Tech
Baseball | 5/20/2016
Jack Gerstenmaier drew a bases-loaded walk in the ninth inning as Virginia walked off with the...
Jeff White: Versatile Doherty Delivers Again
Baseball | 05/20/2016
In the series opener, Kevin Doherty pitched four innings of scoreless relief in No. 8 Virginia's ...
No. 8 Virginia Rolls to 8-3 Win over Virginia Tech
Baseball | 05/19/2016
Virginia won for the ninth time in its last 10 games as starting pitcher Connor Jones improved to...
- Online Stores