Thaiss goes No. 16 overall to Angels, Jones No. 70 to Cardinals
Thaiss and Jones named to second team, Haseley earns third-team honors
Virginia 17, William & Mary 4
Cavaliers rack up 20 hits in win over William & Mary
O’Connor becomes winningest coach in program history with 595th career win
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt in the CWS Finals
The Virginia Cavaliers vs. Florida Gators in the College World Series on June 6, 2015.
Virginia takes on Florida at the College World Series
• Selected in first round of 2016 MLB Draft by Los Angeles Angels (No. 16 overall)
• Named Second-Team All-American by Baseball America, D1Baseball and Third-Team All-American by Collegiate Baseball and NCBWA
• Fourth two-time All-American in program history
• Second-Team ABCA All-Atlantic Region honoree
• Second-Team All-ACC honoree at catcher
• Named semifinalist for Dick Howser Trophy and Johnny Bench Award
• Named to 2016 Golden Spikes Award Watch List
• D1Baseball Preseason Second-Team All-American and Collegiate Baseball Preseason Third-Team All-American
• Struck out 16 times in 232 AB; ranked 33rd nationally in toughest to strike out category (1 every 14.5 AB)
• Ranked sixth in ACC in batting (.375), hits (87), RBI (59) and slugging (.578), seventh in OBP (.473) and eighth in total bases (134)
• His 87 hits is tied for 11th most in single season in program history
• Led team with .357 batting average and ranked third in conference with 32 RBI in ACC play
• Started UVA’s final 29 games behind the plate
• Had career-high 18-game hit streak snapped on June 5, longest hit streak at UVA since 2009; also had 10-game hit streak earlier in season
• Recorded first career two-homer game against Towson (3/16); first 2-HR game at UVA since March 2014 (Mike Papi)
• Was 4-for-11 in Louisville series (hit 3-run homer to give UVA lead for good in March 25 win)
• Went 7-for-12 (.583) in NC State series
• Named ACC Player of the Week after going 5-for-8 with four runs, five RBI, four walks in UNC series (8-for-12 with seven RBI in four games that week)
• Hit two-out, two-run single in seventh inning to snap tie in series clinching win at Miami (4/24)
• Went 7-for-13 with HR, six RBI in Virginia Tech series
• Named to ACC All-Tournament Team after going 5-for-11 with four runs; homered in first game vs. Clemson
• Named Third-Team All-America catcher by Louisville Slugger and NCBWA
• Semifinalist for Dick Howser Trophy (national POY)
• Earned spot on USA Baseball Collegiate National Team
• Named to Johnny Bench Award Watch List
• Started 67 of 68 games (41 at catcher, 9 at DH, 17 at 1B)
• Finished 14th in ACC in batting (.323) and fourth in RBI (60)
• Led team in slugging (.512) and OBP (.413); finished second on team with 82 hits
• Batted .321 in ACC games (second on team, 18th in league)
• Also ranked fourth in ACC in RBI (29) and seventh in doubles (10) in conference games - both team highs
• Batted team-best .318 in NCAA tournament (14-for-44); had eight-game hit streak in tournament play from May 30-June 20
• Hit solo home run in College World Series win over Florida to clinch berth in CWS Finals (6/20)
• Scored game’s lone run in UVa’s 1-0 win over Florida in second game at CWS (6/15)
• Went 4-for-8 in NCAA super regional sweep of Maryland
• Was 4-for-11 with four runs and four RBI in NCAA regional; reached base six times in championship game vs. USC (two hits, four walks)
• Named ACC Player of the Week on April 27; was 11-for-23 (.478) with 11 hits and 11 RBI during UVa’s five games that week
• Started 27 of 28 games behind the plate at one point during season
• Injured ankle in Sunday game at Georgia Tech; missed the April 15 game vs. William & Mary and did not catch again until May 22 against Notre Dame in ACC Tournament
• Played in 26 games with 16 starts as DH
• Recorded five doubles
• Hit RBI single in ACC tournament against Florida State (5/24)
• Was 2-for-2 off bench in win at Wake Forest (5/16)
• Went 3-for-3 with double and pair of RBI in win over William & Mary (4/16)
• Doubled twice as part of 3-for-4 day in win over ECU (2/23)
• Went 2-for-5 in win at UNCW (2/16)
JACKSON MEMORIAL HIGH SCHOOL
• Selected by Boston Red Sox in 32nd round of 2013 MLB Draft
• Twice named First-Team All-State
• Batted .343 with 17 homers and 70 RBI in high school career
• Named First-Team All-Shore Conference three times
• Also a three-time all-county honoree
• Coached by Frank Malta
• Named to High Honor Roll all four years
• Recipient of Principal's Leadership Award and member of National Science Honor Society
• Played travel team baseball with Tri State Arsenal
• Parents are Kevin and Deborah Thaiss
• Has two brothers, Justin and Kyle
Cooper Thriving Under New StaffSwimming & Diving12/12/17A senior from Atlanta and one of the team's captains, Caitlin Cooper set the UVA women's record in the 50-yard freestyle early this month in Athens, Georgia.Hazzard Aiming to Uphold Family TraditionTrack & Field, Cross Country12/11/17A freshman from Long Island, New York, Halle Hazzard is the younger sister of Payton Hazzard, who was an All-America sprinter for the Cavaliers.UVA's Campbell Winners Share Special BondFootball12/6/17UVA is the only ACC school with multiple winners of the prestigious Campbell Trophy: Tom Burns in 1993 and Micah Kiser this year.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Announces Inaugural Baseball Hall of Fame Class
Baseball | 12/7/2017
The 15-member Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class was unveiled today by current members of the...
2018 Baseball Season Tickets on Sale Now
Baseball | 12/4/2017
The public sale of 2018 Virginia baseball season tickets begins on Monday, Dec. 4 for the...
Inaugural Hall of Fame Class to be Inducted at 2018 Step Up ...
Baseball | 11/2/2017
The Virginia Baseball program will announce its inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class at...
Jeff White: Sousa Has Unfinished Business at UVA
Baseball | 11/3/2017
Senior left-hander Bennett Sousa, who was 3-0 with a 4.09 ERA last season, will be a key member...
Orange Wins Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 11/5/2017
For the third year in a row, Orange was crowned Orange and Blue World Series champions.
Two-Run, Two-Out Rally Lifts Orange to Game 5 Victory
Baseball | 10/31/2017
Orange took control of the second portion of the seven-game Orange and Blue World Series with a 5...
Inaugural Baseball Hall of Fame Class to be Unveiled Thursday
Baseball | 12/06/2017
The inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class will be revealed on Thursday, Dec. 7.
Blue Takes First Three-Game Series with 5-0 Win in Game 3
Baseball | 10/29/2017
The Blue team captured the first three-game series based on run differential, but the Orange...
- Online Stores