Jones (first team), Thaiss and Smith (second team) and Clement (third team) earn honors
Cavaliers win for 11th time in last 12 games
Cavaliers walk off on Gerstenmaier's ninth-inning, bases-loaded walk
Cavaliers pile up 14 hits in series-opening win
Alec Bettinger tosses first career complete game as Cavaliers win eighth straight
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt in the CWS Finals
The Virginia Cavaliers vs. Florida Gators in the College World Series on June 6, 2015.
Virginia takes on Florida at the College World Series
• Named Third-Team All-America catcher by Louisville Slugger and NCBWA
• Semifinalist for Dick Howser Trophy (national POY)
• Earned spot on USA Baseball Collegiate National Team
• Named to Johnny Bench Award Watch List
• Started 67 of 68 games (41 at catcher, 9 at DH, 17 at 1B)
• Finished 14th in ACC in batting (.323) and fourth in RBI (60)
• Led team in slugging (.512) and OBP (.413); finished second on team with 82 hits
• Batted .321 in ACC games (second on team, 18th in league)
• Also ranked fourth in ACC in RBI (29) and seventh in doubles (10) in conference games - both team highs
• Batted team-best .318 in NCAA tournament (14-for-44); had eight-game hit streak in tournament play from May 30-June 20
• Hit solo home run in College World Series win over Florida to clinch berth in CWS Finals (6/20)
• Scored game’s lone run in UVa’s 1-0 win over Florida in second game at CWS (6/15)
• Went 4-for-8 in NCAA super regional sweep of Maryland
• Was 4-for-11 with four runs and four RBI in NCAA regional; reached base six times in championship game vs. USC (two hits, four walks)
• Named ACC Player of the Week on April 27; was 11-for-23 (.478) with 11 hits and 11 RBI during UVa’s five games that week
• Started 27 of 28 games behind the plate at one point during season
• Injured ankle in Sunday game at Georgia Tech; missed the April 15 game vs. William & Mary and did not catch again until May 22 against Notre Dame in ACC Tournament
• Played in 26 games with 16 starts as DH
• Recorded five doubles
• Hit RBI single in ACC tournament against Florida State (5/24)
• Was 2-for-2 off bench in win at Wake Forest (5/16)
• Went 3-for-3 with double and pair of RBI in win over William & Mary (4/16)
• Doubled twice as part of 3-for-4 day in win over ECU (2/23)
• Went 2-for-5 in win at UNCW (2/16)
JACKSON MEMORIAL HIGH SCHOOL
• Selected by Boston Red Sox in 32nd round of 2013 MLB Draft
• Twice named First-Team All-State
• Batted .343 with 17 homers and 70 RBI in high school career
• Named First-Team All-Shore Conference three times
• Also a three-time all-county honoree
• Coached by Frank Malta
• Named to High Honor Roll all four years
• Recipient of Principal's Leadership Award and member of National Science Honor Society
• Played travel team baseball with Tri State Arsenal
• Parents are Kevin and Deborah Thaiss
• Has two brothers, Justin and Kyle
Transfers Eager to Help Lift ProgramFootball5/26/16UVA's football team added three transfers this spring: quarterback Kurt Benkert, offensive guard Jared Cohen and defensive end Jack Powers.Cavaliers' Reign Atop NCAA ContinuesMen's Tennis5/25/16With a 4-1 win over Oklahoma on Tuesday night, top-seeded Virginia captured its second straight NCAA men's title and third in four seasons.Mihaljevic's Star Continues to RiseTrack & Field, Cross Country5/24/16In junior Filip Mihaljevic, Virginia's track & field team has one of the nation's elite shot putters and discus throwers.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 7 Virginia Falls to No. 12 Clemson, 5-4
Baseball | 5/26/2016
Matt Thaiss and Daniel Pinero each homered and went 2-for-3 for the Cavaliers in the narrow setback.
NCAA Regional, Super Regional Ticket Books On Sale Friday
Baseball | 5/26/2016
Potential Regional would be played June 3-6 at Davenport Field, Super Regional June 10-12 or 11-13.
No. 3 Seed UVA Begins ACC Tournament Thursday
Baseball | 5/25/2016
The No. 3 seed Cavaliers face No. 6 seed Clemson Thursday, No. 10 Wake Forest Friday and No. 2 ...
Four Cavaliers Named to 2016 All-ACC Team
Baseball | 5/23/2016
Connor Jones earned first-team honors at starting pitcher to highlight the Cavaliers’ four ...
ACC Baseball Championship Schedule Announced
Baseball | 5/22/2016
After winning 12 of its final 15 ACC games, UVA ascended to the No. 3 seed and will play Clemson ...
No. 8 Virginia Sweeps Virginia Tech with 4-1 Win
Baseball | 5/21/2016
Haseley (8-3) tossed his first career complete game, allowing just an unearned run and two hits...
Jeff White: Power Surge Contributing to Success
Baseball | 05/21/2016
Timely home runs helped No. 8 Virginia win the first two games of its series with ACC rival...
No. 8 Virginia Walks Off with 7-6 Win over Virginia Tech
Baseball | 05/20/2016
Jack Gerstenmaier drew a bases-loaded walk in the ninth inning as Virginia walked off with the...
- Online Stores