Thaiss goes No. 16 overall to Angels, Jones No. 70 to Cardinals
Thaiss and Jones named to second team, Haseley earns third-team honors
Virginia 17, William & Mary 4
Cavaliers rack up 20 hits in win over William & Mary
O’Connor becomes winningest coach in program history with 595th career win
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt in the CWS Finals
The Virginia Cavaliers vs. Florida Gators in the College World Series on June 6, 2015.
Virginia takes on Florida at the College World Series
• Selected in first round of 2016 MLB Draft by Los Angeles Angels (No. 16 overall)
• Named Second-Team All-American by Baseball America, D1Baseball and Third-Team All-American by Collegiate Baseball and NCBWA
• Fourth two-time All-American in program history
• Second-Team ABCA All-Atlantic Region honoree
• Second-Team All-ACC honoree at catcher
• Named semifinalist for Dick Howser Trophy and Johnny Bench Award
• Named to 2016 Golden Spikes Award Watch List
• D1Baseball Preseason Second-Team All-American and Collegiate Baseball Preseason Third-Team All-American
• Struck out 16 times in 232 AB; ranked 33rd nationally in toughest to strike out category (1 every 14.5 AB)
• Ranked sixth in ACC in batting (.375), hits (87), RBI (59) and slugging (.578), seventh in OBP (.473) and eighth in total bases (134)
• His 87 hits is tied for 11th most in single season in program history
• Led team with .357 batting average and ranked third in conference with 32 RBI in ACC play
• Started UVA’s final 29 games behind the plate
• Had career-high 18-game hit streak snapped on June 5, longest hit streak at UVA since 2009; also had 10-game hit streak earlier in season
• Recorded first career two-homer game against Towson (3/16); first 2-HR game at UVA since March 2014 (Mike Papi)
• Was 4-for-11 in Louisville series (hit 3-run homer to give UVA lead for good in March 25 win)
• Went 7-for-12 (.583) in NC State series
• Named ACC Player of the Week after going 5-for-8 with four runs, five RBI, four walks in UNC series (8-for-12 with seven RBI in four games that week)
• Hit two-out, two-run single in seventh inning to snap tie in series clinching win at Miami (4/24)
• Went 7-for-13 with HR, six RBI in Virginia Tech series
• Named to ACC All-Tournament Team after going 5-for-11 with four runs; homered in first game vs. Clemson
• Named Third-Team All-America catcher by Louisville Slugger and NCBWA
• Semifinalist for Dick Howser Trophy (national POY)
• Earned spot on USA Baseball Collegiate National Team
• Named to Johnny Bench Award Watch List
• Started 67 of 68 games (41 at catcher, 9 at DH, 17 at 1B)
• Finished 14th in ACC in batting (.323) and fourth in RBI (60)
• Led team in slugging (.512) and OBP (.413); finished second on team with 82 hits
• Batted .321 in ACC games (second on team, 18th in league)
• Also ranked fourth in ACC in RBI (29) and seventh in doubles (10) in conference games - both team highs
• Batted team-best .318 in NCAA tournament (14-for-44); had eight-game hit streak in tournament play from May 30-June 20
• Hit solo home run in College World Series win over Florida to clinch berth in CWS Finals (6/20)
• Scored game’s lone run in UVa’s 1-0 win over Florida in second game at CWS (6/15)
• Went 4-for-8 in NCAA super regional sweep of Maryland
• Was 4-for-11 with four runs and four RBI in NCAA regional; reached base six times in championship game vs. USC (two hits, four walks)
• Named ACC Player of the Week on April 27; was 11-for-23 (.478) with 11 hits and 11 RBI during UVa’s five games that week
• Started 27 of 28 games behind the plate at one point during season
• Injured ankle in Sunday game at Georgia Tech; missed the April 15 game vs. William & Mary and did not catch again until May 22 against Notre Dame in ACC Tournament
• Played in 26 games with 16 starts as DH
• Recorded five doubles
• Hit RBI single in ACC tournament against Florida State (5/24)
• Was 2-for-2 off bench in win at Wake Forest (5/16)
• Went 3-for-3 with double and pair of RBI in win over William & Mary (4/16)
• Doubled twice as part of 3-for-4 day in win over ECU (2/23)
• Went 2-for-5 in win at UNCW (2/16)
JACKSON MEMORIAL HIGH SCHOOL
• Selected by Boston Red Sox in 32nd round of 2013 MLB Draft
• Twice named First-Team All-State
• Batted .343 with 17 homers and 70 RBI in high school career
• Named First-Team All-Shore Conference three times
• Also a three-time all-county honoree
• Coached by Frank Malta
• Named to High Honor Roll all four years
• Recipient of Principal's Leadership Award and member of National Science Honor Society
• Played travel team baseball with Tri State Arsenal
• Parents are Kevin and Deborah Thaiss
• Has two brothers, Justin and Kyle
Cavalier Tennis Programs Joining ForcesMen's Tennis6/21/17UVA's new head tennis coaches -- Andres Pedroso for the men and Sara O'Leary for the women -- want their programs to work closely together.Catching Up With Cherie Greer BrownWomen's Lacrosse6/19/17A 1994 graduate of UVA, where she was a three-time first-team All-American, the former Cherie Greer ranks among the finest players in lacrosse history.European Trip Strengthens Team's BondsWomen's Soccer6/14/17The Virginia women's soccer team recently returned from a trip to Europe, where the Cavaliers played two games in France and one in Germany.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Cavaliers Competing in Summer Baseball Leagues
Baseball | 6/15/2017
The Cavaliers have spread out across the country to play in wood-bat summer leagues as they...
Haseley, Doyle Earn All-America Honors
Baseball | 6/15/2017
Adam Haseley and Tommy Doyle each earned All-America honors from the NBCWA.
Bennett Sousa Selected on Final Day of MLB Draft
Baseball | 6/14/2017
The sixth Cavalier to be selected in the 2017 MLB Draft, Sousa was picked in the 34th round (No. ...
Haseley Named Finalist for Golden Spikes Award
Baseball | 6/14/2017
Haseley is the third Golden Spikes Award finalist in program history, joining Seth Greisinger (19...
Derek Fisher to Make MLB Debut Wednesday with Astros
Baseball | 6/14/2017
Fisher is the 38th Virginia baseball player to reach Major League Baseball, including the 15th...
Clement, Bettinger Picked on Day 2 of MLB Draft
Baseball | 6/13/2017
This marks the fourth time Virginia has had at least five top-10 MLB Draft picks in a season (200...
Three Cavaliers Selected on Day 1 of MLB Draft
Baseball | 06/12/2017
Smith and Haseley are the first set of position players from the same team to be drafted in the...
Jeff White: Cavaliers' Run Ends in Fort Worth
Baseball | 06/05/2017
Virginia closed its 14th season under head coach Brian O'Connor with a loss to Dallas Baptist in ...
- Online Stores