Crowd of over 1,000 watches as NCAA champions receive rings
Cavaliers take College World Series with 4-2 win over reigning champion Vanderbilt
Cavaliers compete in second straight CWS, fourth in seven years
La Prise, Towns, Pinero selected Wednesday
Kirby chosen by Milwaukee Brewers, Sborz goes to Los Angeles Dodgers
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
Virginia takes on Florida at the College World Series
Images from UVa's run through College World Series and to the national title
Baseball vs. Miami (By Kelsey Grant)
Relive all of the excitement by browsing some of the best images from the run to the College World Series.
• Selected No. 40 overall (Competitive Balance Round A) by Milwaukee Brewers in 2015 MLB Draft
• Named First-Team All-ACC for second straight year
• Selected to Midseason Golden Spikes Award and National Pitcher of Year watch lists
• Named 2015 Midseason All-American by Perfect Game
• Missed nine weeks after straining lat muscle in start vs. Miami (4/17)
• Returned to pitch twice in College World Series
• Started against Florida (6/19) and earned first career save save in Game 3 of CWS Finals against Vanderbilt (6/24), recording strikeout for final out as UVa clinched its first national championship
• Worked two scoreless innings of relief against Vanderbilt, striking out five
• Six of his nine starts prior to injury were quality starts
• Struck out 10-plus batters in three starts, including back-to-back starts vs Hartford (10) and Pitt (13)
• Allowed two earned runs or fewer in his first seven starts
• Named First-Team All-American by ABCA, Baseball America, Louisville Slugger; selected to NCBWA's Second-Team All-America squad
• ACC Co-Pitcher of the Year (third in program history) and First-Team All-ACC honoree
• Named one of 21 semifinalists for Golden Spikes Award
• Named to midseason watch list for National Pitcher of Year Award
• Selected to 2014 U.S. Collegiate National Team (did not compete)
• Voted Most Outstanding Player of NCAA Charlottesville Regional
• Made quality starts in 15 of 18 starts (11 straight to begin season - one of four players nationally to do so in 2014)
• Led ACC in opponent batting average (.175), third in wins (9), innings (113.1) and strikeouts (112) and fifth in ERA (2.06)
• Ranked fifth nationally in hits allowed (5.4), 13th in WHIP (0.89) and 14th in strikeouts
• In UVa single-season annals, he ranked sixth in innings and seventh in strikeouts in 2014
• Started UVa's final 12 regular-season series openers
• Worked twice in College World Series; allowed just one run, one hit and three walks over seven innings in CWS-opening win over Ole Miss (6/15)
• Worked eight innings of one-hit baseball in NCAA regional win over Arkansas (5/31)
• Left with lead in starts vs. Wake Forest (5/16) and FSU (5/24) but took no decision in each
• Took no decision at FSU (4/25), allowing three earned runs, seven hits and one walk with seven strikeouts over six innings in UVa win
• Picked up win against UNC after pitching 7 2/3 innings and striking out a dozen (4/18)
• Earned win against Clemson with six innings of two-run baseball; limited ACC's top offense to four hits (4/11)
• Struck out career-high 18 in no-hitter on April 4 at Pittsburgh (4/4); allowed two baserunners (walk, error) in fifth UVa no-hitter in last 50 years
• No-hitter also was his first career complete game
• Tossed 6 1/3 shutout innings in win vs. BC (3/14)
• Worked six shutout innings, allowed just one hit and one walk with nine strikeouts in win at Duke (3/8)
• Pitched in 24 games, which was fourth on staff
• Recorded 37 strikeouts in 32 2/3 innings
• Induced inning-ending double play to end ninth against Duke; earned win after UVa rallied for win in bottom of inning (5/10)
• Started and tossed two scoreless innings to earn win at VCU (4/30)
• Worked 3 1/3 hitless innings, struck out six at Liberty (both career highs)
• Picked up win vs. Towson with 1 1/3 scoreless innings (3/27)
• Worked twice out of bullpen in Clemson series, including perfect eighth inning in Friday game
• Made first college start against Harvard (3/2)
• Earned win in relief against Toledo (2/24)
• Named 2012 Virginia Player of the Year by Gatorade and ESPNHS
• Went 9-1 with 1.24 ERA in 56 2/3 IP in 2012 (90 K, 25 BB); also batted .397 with 17 RBI
• Named 2012 Richmond Times-Dispatch Player of the Year
• Coached by Pete Schumacher at James River
• Parents are Joe and Susan Kirby
• Has two brothers, Micheal and Josh
Cavaliers Roll Into Exam BreakBaseball5/4/16No. 13 Virginia, which is off until May 13, when ACC foe Georgia Tech visits Davenport Field, has won six games in a row.Cavaliers' Margin for Error GoneMen's Lacrosse4/29/16To become eligible for an NCAA men's lacrosse tournament bid, Virginia (7-7) must upset second-ranked Brown (13-1) on Saturday night.UVA Spring Football NotebookFootball4/27/16With spring practice over, Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall and his assistants have turned their focus to recruiting.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Cavaliers Roll Into Exam Break
Baseball | 5/4/2016
No. 13 Virginia, which has won six games in a row, is off until May 13, when ACC foe Georgia...
No. 13 Virginia Defeats Liberty for Sixth Straight Win, 7-3
Baseball | 5/3/2016
Virginia scored its sixth straight win and completed its eight-game road trip – the program...
No. 13 Virginia Travels to Liberty Tuesday
Baseball | 5/2/2016
Connor Jones Named ACC Pitcher of the Week
Baseball | 5/2/2016
It marks Jones' second such honor in the last four weeks. He also earned the distinction on April...
No. 21 Virginia Defeats Pitt to Sweep Series
Baseball | 5/1/2016
Adam Haseley pitched eight shutout innings as the Cavaliers recorded their first series sweep of ...
No. 21 Virginia Sweeps Doubleheader at Pitt
Baseball | 4/30/2016
Winners of three straight ACC series, Virginia goes for the three-game series sweep against the...
Q&A with Ernie Clement
Baseball | 04/30/2016
Clement talked about his team's recent run against ACC teams, his outlook on the rest of the...
No. 21 Virginia Heads to Pitt for ACC Weekend Series
Baseball | 04/29/2016
Virginia and Pitt start series at 1 p.m. Saturday with doubleheader at Charles L. Cost Field.
- Online Stores