Cavaliers rally from early deficit to clinch first ACC series win of the season
Cavaliers pile up 20 hits to force a Sunday rubber game in the series
Cavaliers limit Tigers to two hits to complete midweek series sweep
Casey tosses six strong innings in series-opening win
Tar Heels take the series, two games to one
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
The Virginia Cavaliers vs. Florida Gators in the College World Series on June 6, 2015.
Virginia takes on Florida at the College World Series
Images from UVa's run through College World Series and to the national title
• Second-Team All-ACC selection at first base
• Named Preseason Third-Team All-American by Baseball America
• Second on team and seventh in ACC with 57 RBI
• Ranked seventh nationally with eight sacrifice flies
• Hit grand slam against VMI (2/23)
• Was 4-for-9 with three RBI in Wake Forest series
• Was 4-for-10 in Louisville series (hit 3-run home run in win on March 25)
• Ripped 3-run home run in 10th inning at Boston College (4/10)
• Went 4-for-10 and scored three runs in UNC series
• Homered and reached base five times in 3-for-3, three-RBI day at Old Dominion (4/26)
• Was 4-for-9 with three walks in Georgia Tech series
• Was 6-for-13 with five runs in ACC tournament
• Named to NCAA Charlotteville Regional All-Tournament Team
• Went 5-for-15 in NCAA regional; hit two home runs against East Carolina (6/4), becoming first player in program history to record a multiple-homer game in the NCAA tournament
• Named to Baseball America, D1Baseball and Louisville Slugger Freshman All-America teams (second team)
• Selected to All-NCAA Lake Elsinore Regional Team
• Named to ACC All-Freshman Team
• Started all 68 games (34 at 1B, 32 in LF, 1 in RF, 1 at DH)
• Batted .302 with seven RBI in NCAA tournament (13-for-43)
• Hit game-tying two-run home run in fourth inning and two-out, go-ahead single in fifth in Game 3 of CWS Finals vs. Vanderbilt (6/24); was 2-for-3 in game
• Led team with 83 hits, becoming first freshman to lead team in hits since Bill Narleski in 1984
• Was first freshman to lead a national championship team in hits since at least the 2000 season
• Recorded most hits by a UVa freshman since Steven Proscia (86) in 2009
• Tied for fourth in ACC in hits (second among freshmen)
• Picked up hits in 18 of last 20 games
• Batted team-best .341 since return from exam break (28-for-82)
• Batted .400 (6-for-15) and scored team-high six runs at ACC tournament
• Second on team with 23 multiple-hit games
• Was 4-for-11 with three runs in North Carolina series
• Recorded career-high four hits in win over Cornell (3/1)
• Had 10-game hit streak to begin his UVA career
PALM BEACH GARDENS HS
• Selected in 32nd round of 2014 MLB Draft by Colorado Rockies
• Named First-Team All-State as senior
• Three-time first-team all-conference honoree (second-team as freshman)
• Four-time all-county honoree
• As a senior, hit .395 with seven homers and 30 RBI while striking out just seven times; on mound, he went 5-0 with 0.66 ERA, recording 54 strikeouts and six walks in 32 innings
• Was named to Florida and Palm Beach County all-star teams as senior
• Named Third-Team Preseason All-American by Baseball America prior to senior season
• Coached by Joe Russo
• Played travel team baseball with Palm Beach Police Athletic League
• Parents are Timothy and Pamela Smith
• Has three sisters, Paige, Sydney and Olivia
Mueller Shining for Surging CavaliersWomen's Lacrosse3/29/17Freshman midfielder Sammy Mueller is the second-leading scorer for No. 15 Virginia, which hosts Oregon on Wednesday night at Klöckner Stadium.Cook Ready To Make Up For Lost TimeFootball3/27/17After missing last season with a heart condition, UVA outside linebacker Malcolm Cook has been cleared to play again.Offensive Line Looking to Raise Its GameFootball3/24/17Guard Jack McDonald and tackle Jack English are the returning starters on the offensive line for Virginia, which starts spring practice Tuesday.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 16 Virginia Heads to VCU for 7 p.m. Wednesday Game
Baseball | 3/28/2017
Virginia-VCU Game Moved to Wednesday Night
Baseball | 3/27/2017
The Tuesday game between Virginia and VCU at The Diamond in Richmond has been rescheduled for 7 p...
No. 16 Virginia Tops Duke, 13-6, to Win Series
Baseball | 3/26/2017
After absorbing a big loss in the series opener Friday, the Cavaliers rebounded for 26 runs and...
No. 16 Virginia Powers Past Duke, 13-6
Baseball | 3/25/2017
The Cavaliers evened the series at a game apiece, with the rubber game slated for 1 p.m. Sunday.
No. 16 Virginia Drops Opener to Duke
Baseball | 3/24/2017
Virginia fell to 17-6 on the year, including a 2-5 mark in ACC play, with the loss.
No. 16 UVA Welcomes Duke for Three-Game Series
Baseball | 3/23/2017
Game 1 is slated for 4 p.m. Friday, with 1 p.m. contests on Saturday and Sunday to follow.
Jeff White: Weber Hitting Right Notes on Diamond
Baseball | 03/23/2017
Sophomore Andy Weber starts at second base for No. 16 Virginia, which hosts ACC rival Duke this...
No. 16 Virginia Baseball Topples Towson, 8-4
Baseball | 03/22/2017
Eight Virginia pitchers combined to limit Towson to two hits in the win as the Cavaliers improved...
- Online Stores