Haseley honored by NCBWA and Perfect Game/Rawlings, while Doyle nabs third-team laurels from NCBWA
Smith and Haseley go back-to-back in Top 10, Doyle taken in second round
Casey works seven strong innings as UVA moves on to face TCU/CCSU winner
Haseley also tabbed as finalist for John Olerud Two-Way Player Award
Cavaliers score eight runs in first inning and get seven strong innings from Daniel Lynch
Virginia took on Vanderbilt in game three of the College World Series Finals.
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
The Virginia Cavaliers vs. Florida Gators in the College World Series on June 6, 2015.
Virginia takes on Florida at the College World Series
Images from UVa's run through College World Series and to the national title
• 28 career home runs, tied for sixth in program history
• 178 career RBI, second in school history
• Four of his home runs came in NCAA tournament play, a program record
• Ranks eighth in program history in total bases with 373
• Selected in first round of MLB Draft by Arizona Diamondbacks (seventh overall)
• 2017 First-Team All-ACC honoree at first base
• Named semifinalist for Golden Spikes Award
• 2017 Preseason All-American (First Team by Baseball America, Perfect Game; Second Team by Collegiate Baseball, D1Baseball)
• Racked up 77 RBI, a single-season UVA record
• Third in ACC and fifth nationally in RBI
• Hit 13 home runs (10th in program history)
• Had an incredible rate of contact, with more home runs (13) than strikeouts (12)
• Drew 38 walks to 12 strikeouts and was fourth toughest nationally to strike out
• Drove in five runs in NCAA tournament game against Dallas Baptist (most in NCAA game in program history); hit 3-run homer in final AB
• Was 2-for-7 with two RBI in ACC tournament
• Was 5-for-9 with two homers and nine RBI during the final two games of the Georgia Tech series
• Went 5-for-12 in Florida State series
• Recorded four-hit games against VCU (4/11) and Longwood (4/18)
• Hit pair of home runs, including a grand slam, and drove in career-high seven runs against Old Dominion (4/4)
• Hit grand slam and double with five RBI in win over Louisville (4/1)
• Ripped game-tying two-run homer in eighth inning against Kansas (2/19)
• Second-Team All-ACC selection at first base
• Named Preseason Third-Team All-American by Baseball America
• Second on team and seventh in ACC with 57 RBI
• Ranked seventh nationally with eight sacrifice flies
• Hit grand slam against VMI (2/23)
• Was 4-for-9 with three RBI in Wake Forest series
• Was 4-for-10 in Louisville series (hit 3-run home run in win on March 25)
• Ripped 3-run home run in 10th inning at Boston College (4/10)
• Went 4-for-10 and scored three runs in UNC series
• Homered and reached base five times in 3-for-3, three-RBI day at Old Dominion (4/26)
• Was 4-for-9 with three walks in Georgia Tech series
• Was 6-for-13 with five runs in ACC tournament
• Named to NCAA Charlotteville Regional All-Tournament Team
• Went 5-for-15 in NCAA regional; hit two home runs against East Carolina (6/4), becoming first player in program history to record a multiple-homer game in the NCAA tournament
• Named to Baseball America, D1Baseball and Louisville Slugger Freshman All-America teams (second team)
• Selected to All-NCAA Lake Elsinore Regional Team
• Named to ACC All-Freshman Team
• Started all 68 games (34 at 1B, 32 in LF, 1 in RF, 1 at DH)
• Batted .302 with seven RBI in NCAA tournament (13-for-43)
• Hit game-tying two-run home run in fourth inning and two-out, go-ahead single in fifth in Game 3 of CWS Finals vs. Vanderbilt (6/24); was 2-for-3 in game
• Led team with 83 hits, becoming first freshman to lead team in hits since Bill Narleski in 1984
• Was first freshman to lead a national championship team in hits since at least the 2000 season
• Recorded most hits by a UVA freshman since Steven Proscia (86) in 2009
• Tied for fourth in ACC in hits (second among freshmen)
• Picked up hits in 18 of last 20 games
• Batted team-best .341 since return from exam break (28-for-82)
• Batted .400 (6-for-15) and scored team-high six runs at ACC tournament
• Second on team with 23 multiple-hit games
• Was 4-for-11 with three runs in North Carolina series
• Recorded career-high four hits in win over Cornell (3/1)
• Had 10-game hit streak to begin his UVA career
PALM BEACH GARDENS HIGH SCHOOL
• Selected in 32nd round of 2014 MLB Draft by Colorado Rockies
• Named First-Team All-State as senior
• Three-time first-team all-conference honoree (second-team as freshman)
• Four-time all-county honoree
• As a senior, hit .395 with seven homers and 30 RBI while striking out just seven times; on mound, he went 5-0 with 0.66 ERA, recording 54 strikeouts and six walks in 32 innings
• Was named to Florida and Palm Beach County all-star teams as senior
• Named Third-Team Preseason All-American by Baseball America prior to senior season
• Coached by Joe Russo
• Parents are Timothy and Pamela Smith
• Has three sisters, Paige, Sydney and Olivia
No. 1 Cavaliers Reach Another MilestoneMen's Basketball2/22/18Top-ranked Virginia clinched the No. 1 seed in the ACC tournament Tuesday night with a hard-earned victory over Georgia Tech at John Paul Jones Arena.New Era Begins for Davenport FieldBaseball2/21/18The expanded Davenport Field was unveiled Tuesday, and a crowd of 3,709, the largest ever for a UVA home opener, turned out for the game.Davenport Field Ready for UnveilingBaseball2/20/18No. 15 Virginia hosts VMI at 5 p.m. Tuesday at Davenport Field, which has been expanded and upgraded since the end of last season.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 18 Virginia hosts Eastern Kentucky in Weekend Series
Baseball | 2/22/2018
No. 18 Virginia (2-2) begins a three-game series with Eastern Kentucky (0-4) on Friday (Feb. 23) ...
Jeff White: New Era Begins for Davenport Field
Baseball | 2/21/2018
The expanded Davenport Field was unveiled Tuesday, and a crowd of 3,709, the largest ever for a...
Big Inning Dooms No. 18 Virginia in Home Opener
Baseball | 2/20/2018
No. 18 Virginia (2-2) set a new home opener attendance record in a 9-4 loss to VMI.
Disharoon Park is now the Home of Virginia Baseball
Baseball | 2/20/2018
The University of Virginia department of athletics and the Virginia Athletics Foundation...
Jeff White: Davenport Field Ready for Unveiling
Baseball | 2/20/2018
No. 15 Virginia hosts VMI at 5 p.m. Tuesday at Davenport Field, which has been expanded and...
Baseball Home Opener Start Time Moved to 5 p.m.
Baseball | 2/19/2018
The first pitch for Virginia’s home opener against VMI on Tuesday (Feb.20) has been moved...
Virginia Opens Home Slate Tuesday
Baseball | 02/19/2018
Virginia (2-1) will play its first home game of the season on Tuesday (Feb. 20) against VMI (1-2)...
Sperling's Gem Leads No. 18 Virginia Past Rice
Baseball | 02/18/2018
Junior Evan Sperling (Poquoson, Va.) surrendered one hit and struck out nine batters as No. 18...
- Online Stores