Crowd of over 1,000 watches as NCAA champions receive rings
Conference has record 4,143 student-athletes recognized
Waddell earns honor for second time, while Woodruff claims his first
Cavaliers and Commodores play for national championship at 8 p.m. Wednesday
By Jeff White (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt in the CWS Finals
Images from UVa's run through College World Series and to the national title
The team defeated Arkansas, 5-3 in the first round of the College World Series at Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska.
Baseball vs. Miami (By Kelsey Grant)
• Earned Elite 89 Award (highest GPA among all players competing at 2015 College World Series)
• Named to All-ACC Academic Baseball Team and ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Played in 39 games, making 13 starts (eight in left field, three in right field, two at second base)
• Played in eight NCAA tournament games
• Went 3-for-4 with three singles in Game 2 start in CWS Finals against Vanderbilt (6/23); hit two-run single with two outs in sixth inning
• Scored game-tying run in ninth inning of Game 2 of super regional against Maryland (6/6)
• Appeared in all three regional games as a defensive replacement in left field
• Recorded career-best four hits and scored three runs in win against James Madison (4/8)
• Earned bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering on May 17
• Appeared in 11 games off bench
• Scored winning runs in each of UVa's walk-off wins to begin College World Series
• Scored from third base on Daniel Pinero's sacrifice fly in bottom of 15th inning in UVa's 3-2 walk-off win over TCU (6/19)
• Scored from second on Mike Papi's game-winning double in ninth inning against Ole Miss (6/17)
• Pinch ran in ninth inning and scored run at Wake Forest (5/17)
• Singled and scored in win over Richmond (4/24)
• Singled and drove in run against William & Mary (4/16)
• Doubled in win over Princeton (3/20)
• Pinch ran and recorded first career stolen base at Duke (3/8)
• Appeared in seven games as pinch hitter
• Drew pair of walks during the season
• Picked up RBI in win over Duke (5/11)
• Appeared in six games
• Walked and scored a run in his first career appearance, a win over Monmouth (2/26)
• Posted first career hit vs. Marist (3/14), a pinch-hit RBI double
• Three-time Liberty District All-Conference honoree
• Named First-Team All-District at utility in 2011, second-team at shortstop in 2010 and honorable mention in 2009
• Hit .400 with just two strikeouts his senior season
• Named team's MVP in 2011 and Defensive Player of the Year in 2010
• Two-time Captain as well as two-time Coach's Award honoree
• Four-year letterwinner
• Four-time Scholar Athlete honoree
• Played for David Gardziel at Thomas Jefferson
• Named to National Honor Society
• Earned National Latin Exam Scholarship and was Latin Honor Society Vice President his senior year
• Parents are Bob and Susan Woodruff
• Has sister, Hannah, and brother, Daniel
Spring Football NotebookFootball4/20/18As part of the inaugural Wahoowa Weekend, spring football concludes for the Cavaliers with an open practice April 28 at Scott Stadium.Thompson Ready To Lead From FrontWomen's Basketball4/18/18The mood was celebratory Wednesday afternoon at John Paul Jones Arena, where Tina Thompson was introduced as UVA's women's basketball coach.Walsh Ready to Lead 'Hoos in PostseasonMen's Golf4/18/18Healthy again after battling back problems for much of 2017, Thomas Walsh enters this weekend's ACC tournament in good form.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Tuesday's Game vs. ODU Cancelled
Baseball | 4/23/2018
Tuesday's non-conference game against Old Dominion at Harbor Park has been cancelled.
Ninth Inning Rally Clinches Series for Virginia
Baseball | 4/22/2018
Virginia rallied for two runs in the top of the ninth inning to stun Louisville, 2-1.
Virginia Evens Series Behind Strong Pitching
Baseball | 4/21/2018
Daniel Lynch and reliever Bennett Sousa shut down Louisville over the final six innings in a 5-4...
Louisville Takes Opener With Late Rally
Baseball | 4/20/2018
Danny Oriente doubled in two runs in the eighth inning to help, Louisville prevail, 5-4 over...
Virginia Travels to Louisville for Three-Game Series
Baseball | 4/19/2018
Virginia will continue its Atlantic Coast Conference schedule this weekend with a three-game road...
Virginia Powers Past Liberty, 14-3
Baseball | 4/18/2018
A four-run second inning and a five-run seventh aided Virginia to an 14-3 victory over Liberty.
Virginia Walks-off against GW in 12th
Baseball | 04/17/2018
Brendan Rivoli doubled in the winning run in the bottom of the 12th inning in a 3-2 midweek win.
Virginia Baseball Signs John “Parker” Staples
Baseball | 04/16/2018
Virginia head baseball coach Brian O’Connor announced the signing of nine-year-old John ...
- Online Stores