Crowd of over 1,000 watches as NCAA champions receive rings
Conference has record 4,143 student-athletes recognized
Waddell earns honor for second time, while Woodruff claims his first
Cavaliers and Commodores play for national championship at 8 p.m. Wednesday
By Jeff White (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt in the CWS Finals
Images from UVa's run through College World Series and to the national title
The team defeated Arkansas, 5-3 in the first round of the College World Series at Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska.
Baseball vs. Miami (By Kelsey Grant)
• Earned Elite 89 Award (highest GPA among all players competing at 2015 College World Series)
• Named to All-ACC Academic Baseball Team and ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Played in 39 games, making 13 starts (eight in left field, three in right field, two at second base)
• Played in eight NCAA tournament games
• Went 3-for-4 with three singles in Game 2 start in CWS Finals against Vanderbilt (6/23); hit two-run single with two outs in sixth inning
• Scored game-tying run in ninth inning of Game 2 of super regional against Maryland (6/6)
• Appeared in all three regional games as a defensive replacement in left field
• Recorded career-best four hits and scored three runs in win against James Madison (4/8)
• Earned bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering on May 17
• Appeared in 11 games off bench
• Scored winning runs in each of UVa's walk-off wins to begin College World Series
• Scored from third base on Daniel Pinero's sacrifice fly in bottom of 15th inning in UVa's 3-2 walk-off win over TCU (6/19)
• Scored from second on Mike Papi's game-winning double in ninth inning against Ole Miss (6/17)
• Pinch ran in ninth inning and scored run at Wake Forest (5/17)
• Singled and scored in win over Richmond (4/24)
• Singled and drove in run against William & Mary (4/16)
• Doubled in win over Princeton (3/20)
• Pinch ran and recorded first career stolen base at Duke (3/8)
• Appeared in seven games as pinch hitter
• Drew pair of walks during the season
• Picked up RBI in win over Duke (5/11)
• Appeared in six games
• Walked and scored a run in his first career appearance, a win over Monmouth (2/26)
• Posted first career hit vs. Marist (3/14), a pinch-hit RBI double
• Three-time Liberty District All-Conference honoree
• Named First-Team All-District at utility in 2011, second-team at shortstop in 2010 and honorable mention in 2009
• Hit .400 with just two strikeouts his senior season
• Named team's MVP in 2011 and Defensive Player of the Year in 2010
• Two-time Captain as well as two-time Coach's Award honoree
• Four-year letterwinner
• Four-time Scholar Athlete honoree
• Played for David Gardziel at Thomas Jefferson
• Named to National Honor Society
• Earned National Latin Exam Scholarship and was Latin Honor Society Vice President his senior year
• Parents are Bob and Susan Woodruff
• Has sister, Hannah, and brother, Daniel
O-Line Looking to Raise Its GameFootball3/24/17Guard Jack McDonald and tackle Jack English are the returning starters on the offensive line for Virginia, which starts spring practice Tuesday.Weber Hitting Right Notes on DiamondBaseball3/23/17Sophomore Andy Weber starts at second base for No. 16 Virginia, which hosts ACC rival Duke this weekend at Davenport Field.Successful Season Ends on Excruciating NoteMen's Basketball3/19/17Virginia's fourth consecutive appearance in the NCAA tournament ended with a 65-39 second-round loss to Florida in Orlando, Fla.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 16 Virginia Tops Duke, 13-6, to Win Series
Baseball | 3/26/2017
After absorbing a big loss in the series opener Friday, the Cavaliers rebounded for 26 runs and...
No. 16 Virginia Powers Past Duke, 13-6
Baseball | 3/25/2017
The Cavaliers evened the series at a game apiece, with the rubber game slated for 1 p.m. Sunday.
No. 16 Virginia Drops Opener to Duke
Baseball | 3/24/2017
Virginia fell to 17-6 on the year, including a 2-5 mark in ACC play, with the loss.
No. 16 UVA Welcomes Duke for Three-Game Series
Baseball | 3/23/2017
Game 1 is slated for 4 p.m. Friday, with 1 p.m. contests on Saturday and Sunday to follow.
Jeff White: Weber Hitting Right Notes on Diamond
Baseball | 3/23/2017
Sophomore Andy Weber starts at second base for No. 16 Virginia, which hosts ACC rival Duke this...
No. 16 Virginia Baseball Topples Towson, 8-4
Baseball | 3/22/2017
Eight Virginia pitchers combined to limit Towson to two hits in the win as the Cavaliers improved...
No. 16 Virginia Picks Up 3-2 Win Over Towson
Baseball | 03/21/2017
The Cavaliers got two hits apiece from Jake McCarthy and Ernie Clement, while three UVA pitchers ...
No. 16 Virginia Tangles With Towson in Two-Game Series
Baseball | 03/20/2017
- Online Stores