Crowd of over 1,000 watches as NCAA champions receive rings
Conference has record 4,143 student-athletes recognized
Waddell earns honor for second time, while Woodruff claims his first
Cavaliers and Commodores play for national championship at 8 p.m. Wednesday
By Jeff White (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt in the CWS Finals
Images from UVa's run through College World Series and to the national title
The team defeated Arkansas, 5-3 in the first round of the College World Series at Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska.
Baseball vs. Miami (By Kelsey Grant)
• Earned Elite 89 Award (highest GPA among all players competing at 2015 College World Series)
• Named to All-ACC Academic Baseball Team and ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Played in 39 games, making 13 starts (eight in left field, three in right field, two at second base)
• Played in eight NCAA tournament games
• Went 3-for-4 with three singles in Game 2 start in CWS Finals against Vanderbilt (6/23); hit two-run single with two outs in sixth inning
• Scored game-tying run in ninth inning of Game 2 of super regional against Maryland (6/6)
• Appeared in all three regional games as a defensive replacement in left field
• Recorded career-best four hits and scored three runs in win against James Madison (4/8)
• Earned bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering on May 17
• Appeared in 11 games off bench
• Scored winning runs in each of UVa's walk-off wins to begin College World Series
• Scored from third base on Daniel Pinero's sacrifice fly in bottom of 15th inning in UVa's 3-2 walk-off win over TCU (6/19)
• Scored from second on Mike Papi's game-winning double in ninth inning against Ole Miss (6/17)
• Pinch ran in ninth inning and scored run at Wake Forest (5/17)
• Singled and scored in win over Richmond (4/24)
• Singled and drove in run against William & Mary (4/16)
• Doubled in win over Princeton (3/20)
• Pinch ran and recorded first career stolen base at Duke (3/8)
• Appeared in seven games as pinch hitter
• Drew pair of walks during the season
• Picked up RBI in win over Duke (5/11)
• Appeared in six games
• Walked and scored a run in his first career appearance, a win over Monmouth (2/26)
• Posted first career hit vs. Marist (3/14), a pinch-hit RBI double
• Three-time Liberty District All-Conference honoree
• Named First-Team All-District at utility in 2011, second-team at shortstop in 2010 and honorable mention in 2009
• Hit .400 with just two strikeouts his senior season
• Named team's MVP in 2011 and Defensive Player of the Year in 2010
• Two-time Captain as well as two-time Coach's Award honoree
• Four-year letterwinner
• Four-time Scholar Athlete honoree
• Played for David Gardziel at Thomas Jefferson
• Named to National Honor Society
• Earned National Latin Exam Scholarship and was Latin Honor Society Vice President his senior year
• Parents are Bob and Susan Woodruff
• Has sister, Hannah, and brother, Daniel
Green Adjusting to New SurroundingsWrestling10/20/17A transfer from Boise State, which dropped its wrestling program last spring, Fred Green is a candidate to start at 157 pounds for Virginia.Butts' Bond With Benkert GrowingFootball10/18/17A redshirt junior from the Philadelphia area, UVA tight end Evan Butts has become one of quarterback Kurt Benkert's most reliable targets.Salt Evolving Into Pivotal PresenceMen's Basketball10/17/17A redshirt junior from New Zealand, 6-11 center Jack Salt has grown into a team leader for UVA, which has made four straight NCAA tournament appearances.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Orange Holds On For Game 1 Win, 3-2
Baseball | 10/20/2017
Jake McCarthy drove in all three of the Orange's runs in a 3-2 Game 1 win over the Blue.
Orange & Blue World Series Starts Thursday
Baseball | 10/18/2017
The Orange and Blue World Series consists of seven games, beginning Thursday (Oct. 19) and...
Virginia Opens Fall Exhibition Schedule Thursday
Baseball | 10/11/2017
Virginia hosts the Ontario Blue Jays at 3 p.m. Thursday (Oct. 12) and plays Davidson in Cary, N.C...
Virginia Baseball Announces 2018 Schedule
Baseball | 10/5/2017
UVA will play 35 games at the newly-renovated Davenport Field, including ACC series with BC,...
Jeff White: Transformation Under Way at Davenport Field
Baseball | 9/27/2017
A major renovation of Davenport Field began in June and is scheduled to be completed before UVA's...
Virginia Announces 2017 Fall Baseball Schedule
Baseball | 9/14/2017
UVA plays a home exhibition against the Ontario Blue Jays on Oct. 12, and travels to Cary, N.C., ...
Artie Lewicki to Make MLB Debut Monday with Tigers
Baseball | 09/03/2017
Lewicki is the 39th Virginia baseball player to reach Major League Baseball and the 16th Cavalier...
Cavaliers in the Pros: August Update
Baseball | 08/22/2017
Five former Cavaliers are currently playing on first-place teams as MLB heads toward final month ...
- Online Stores