Crowd of over 1,000 watches as NCAA champions receive rings
Conference has record 4,143 student-athletes recognized
Waddell earns honor for second time, while Woodruff claims his first
Cavaliers and Commodores play for national championship at 8 p.m. Wednesday
By Jeff White (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt (CWS Game 2 - 06/23/15)
Virginia vs. Vanderbilt in the CWS Finals
Images from UVa's run through College World Series and to the national title
The team defeated Arkansas, 5-3 in the first round of the College World Series at Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska.
Baseball vs. Miami (By Kelsey Grant)
• Earned Elite 89 Award (highest GPA among all players competing at 2015 College World Series)
• Named to All-ACC Academic Baseball Team and ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Played in 39 games, making 13 starts (eight in left field, three in right field, two at second base)
• Played in eight NCAA tournament games
• Went 3-for-4 with three singles in Game 2 start in CWS Finals against Vanderbilt (6/23); hit two-run single with two outs in sixth inning
• Scored game-tying run in ninth inning of Game 2 of super regional against Maryland (6/6)
• Appeared in all three regional games as a defensive replacement in left field
• Recorded career-best four hits and scored three runs in win against James Madison (4/8)
• Earned bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering on May 17
• Appeared in 11 games off bench
• Scored winning runs in each of UVa's walk-off wins to begin College World Series
• Scored from third base on Daniel Pinero's sacrifice fly in bottom of 15th inning in UVa's 3-2 walk-off win over TCU (6/19)
• Scored from second on Mike Papi's game-winning double in ninth inning against Ole Miss (6/17)
• Pinch ran in ninth inning and scored run at Wake Forest (5/17)
• Singled and scored in win over Richmond (4/24)
• Singled and drove in run against William & Mary (4/16)
• Doubled in win over Princeton (3/20)
• Pinch ran and recorded first career stolen base at Duke (3/8)
• Appeared in seven games as pinch hitter
• Drew pair of walks during the season
• Picked up RBI in win over Duke (5/11)
• Appeared in six games
• Walked and scored a run in his first career appearance, a win over Monmouth (2/26)
• Posted first career hit vs. Marist (3/14), a pinch-hit RBI double
• Three-time Liberty District All-Conference honoree
• Named First-Team All-District at utility in 2011, second-team at shortstop in 2010 and honorable mention in 2009
• Hit .400 with just two strikeouts his senior season
• Named team's MVP in 2011 and Defensive Player of the Year in 2010
• Two-time Captain as well as two-time Coach's Award honoree
• Four-year letterwinner
• Four-time Scholar Athlete honoree
• Played for David Gardziel at Thomas Jefferson
• Named to National Honor Society
• Earned National Latin Exam Scholarship and was Latin Honor Society Vice President his senior year
• Parents are Bob and Susan Woodruff
• Has sister, Hannah, and brother, Daniel
Cavaliers Roll Into Exam BreakBaseball5/4/16No. 13 Virginia, which is off until May 13, when ACC foe Georgia Tech visits Davenport Field, has won six games in a row.Cavaliers' Margin for Error GoneMen's Lacrosse4/29/16To become eligible for an NCAA men's lacrosse tournament bid, Virginia (7-7) must upset second-ranked Brown (13-1) on Saturday night.UVA Spring Football NotebookFootball4/27/16With spring practice over, Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall and his assistants have turned their focus to recruiting.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Cavaliers Roll Into Exam Break
Baseball | 5/4/2016
No. 13 Virginia, which has won six games in a row, is off until May 13, when ACC foe Georgia...
No. 13 Virginia Defeats Liberty for Sixth Straight Win, 7-3
Baseball | 5/3/2016
Virginia scored its sixth straight win and completed its eight-game road trip – the program...
No. 13 Virginia Travels to Liberty Tuesday
Baseball | 5/2/2016
Connor Jones Named ACC Pitcher of the Week
Baseball | 5/2/2016
It marks Jones' second such honor in the last four weeks. He also earned the distinction on April...
No. 21 Virginia Defeats Pitt to Sweep Series
Baseball | 5/1/2016
Adam Haseley pitched eight shutout innings as the Cavaliers recorded their first series sweep of ...
No. 21 Virginia Sweeps Doubleheader at Pitt
Baseball | 4/30/2016
Winners of three straight ACC series, Virginia goes for the three-game series sweep against the...
Q&A with Ernie Clement
Baseball | 04/30/2016
Clement talked about his team's recent run against ACC teams, his outlook on the rest of the...
No. 21 Virginia Heads to Pitt for ACC Weekend Series
Baseball | 04/29/2016
Virginia and Pitt start series at 1 p.m. Saturday with doubleheader at Charles L. Cost Field.
- Online Stores