Coman, Doyle and Harrington earn academic honors from ACC
Haseley honored by NCBWA and Perfect Game/Rawlings, while Doyle nabs third-team laurels from NCBWA
Smith and Haseley go back-to-back in Top 10, Doyle taken in second round
Casey works seven strong innings as UVA moves on to face TCU/CCSU winner
Haseley and Smith earn first-team honors
• Has made 61 career appearances
• Owns 17 career saves, which is tied for sixth in school history
• Selected in MLB Draft in Competitive Balance B portion of second round by Colorado Rockies (No. 70 overall)
• Third-Team All-ACC honoree (relief pitcher)
• Pitched in 23 games, recording 14 saves (tied for second in ACC and 10th in the nation)
• With 14 saves, he tied for fifth most in a single season at UVA
• Eight of his saves came in league play
• Worked more than one inning in 12 of his 23 appearances
• Pitched scoreless ninth inning to earn save against Dallas Baptist in NCAA Regional (6/3)
• Fired 2 1/3 scoreless innings to earn win in series clincher against Georgia Tech (5/20)
• Worked season-high four innings to earn save and clinch series at Florida State, allowing one run with five strikeouts (4/30)
• Picked up saves in each of UVA's one-run wins at Virginia Tech (4/13-14)
• Recorded pair of saves in Pitt series
• Pitched in 22 games, including seven starts
• Started in his first six games and seven of first eight before moving to bullpen in Boston College series; his last 14 appearances came out of bullpen
• Batters hit just .202 against him in 15 appearances out of bullpen
• Recorded three saves, all in ACC games
• Worked at least six innings in his first four starts of 2016
• Made first college start at Coastal Carolina and worked six innings of two-run baseball (2/21)
• Allowed two runs (one earned) in seven innings in win over East Carolina (2/28)
• Closed both UVA wins in UNC and Miami series
• Earned first save with two innings of relief at Miami (4/22)
• Struck out three of four batters he faced to claim save in series clincher at Miami (4/24)
• Picked up save in Game 2 of DH at Pitt (4/30)
• Pitched two perfect innings over two appearances at ACC tournament
• Pitched in 16 games out of bullpen
• Named to ACC Academic Honor Roll
• Opponents batted .217 against him
• Fired 3 2/3 scoreless innings in NCAA tournament
• Worked one scoreless inning in College World Series against Florida (6/19)
• Matched career high with 2 2/3 scoreless innings against USC in championship game at NCAA Regional (5/31)
• Pitched perfect ninth inning of relief against NC State in ACC tournament (5/23)
• Missed first month of season with mononucleosis
FLINT HILL HS
• Selected by Washington Nationals in 35th round of 2014 MLB Draft
• Three-time all-state and all-conference selection
• 2014 Third-Team All-America selection by Perfect Game
• Named 2014 Co-Virginia State Player of the Year
• Earned 2014 All-Atlantic Region honors
• Was two-time All-Met selection
• Went 7-2 with 1.86 ERA, 84 strikeouts, 18 walks in 51 innings during senior season
• Set high school's school record for strikeouts in one game with 14
• Two-year team captain
• Coached by Tom Verbanic
• Also played basketball and football at Flint Hill
• Played travel team baseball with Demarini Stars
• Parents are George and Laura Doyle
• Mother played field hockey and lacrosse at Lafayette
• Has one brother, Matt, and two sisters, Claire and Katherine - each played Division I athletics; Matt played baseball at Harvard, while sisters played lacrosse at Bucknell
'Hoos Exit With Heads Held HighWomen's Basketball3/19/18In its first trip to the NCAA tourney since 2010, 10th-seeded Virginia went 1-1 in Columbia, S.C., defeating seventh-seeded Cal and losing to second-seeded South Carolina.'Hoos Look To Take Next Step in NCAA TourneyWomen's Basketball3/18/18A win Sunday night over second-seeded South Carolina would send 10th-seeded Virginia to the NCAA tournament's Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2000.End Comes Too Soon for No. 1 CavaliersMen's Basketball3/17/18In the NCAA tournament's first round, No. 1 seed Virginia lost 74-54 to No. 16 seed UMBC in a South Region game in Charlotte, N.C.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia-Towson Midweek Series Cancelled
Baseball | 3/20/2018
The Virginia-Towson midweek baseball series, scheduled to take place on Tuesday (March 20) and...
No. 21 Virginia Clinches Series in Walk-off Fashion
Baseball | 3/18/2018
Virginia scored three runs in the bottom of the 10th inning as part of a 10-9 series-clinching...
Cavaliers Even Series with Boston College
Baseball | 3/17/2018
A five-run, seventh inning and a career day from Daniel Lynch helped Virginia to even the series ...
Game Two Start Time Moved to 3:30 p.m.
Baseball | 3/17/2018
The first pitch of Saturday’s (March 17) ACC game against Boston College has been moved to ...
No. 21 Virginia Drops Series Opener to BC
Baseball | 3/16/2018
Boston College scored five of the game’s last six runs in a 6-2 series opening victory over...
ACC Play Resumes for No. 21 Virginia
Baseball | 3/15/2018
No. 21 Virginia will play its first home ACC series this weekend when it hosts BC at Disharoon...
No. 24 Virginia Hosts Towson in Midweek Series
Baseball | 03/19/2018
No. 24 Virginia will host Towson in a two-game midweek series beginning on Tuesday and concluding...
No. 21 Virginia Walks Off Against JMU
Baseball | 03/14/2018
Tanner Morris delivered a bases loaded sacrifice fly in the bottom of the ninth inning in a 3-2...
- Online Stores