June 4, 2006
Game #4 Post-Game Notes June 3, 2006
- South Carolina is making its seventh consecutive NCAA Regional appearance and eighth under head coach Ray Tanner. USC has advanced to the Super Regional five of the last six years.
- With today's win, South Carolina stands at 39-22 overall and 9-12 in games played on the road. USC has won four of its last six games.
- South Carolina improves to 82-46 (.640) in postseason play in its 22nd NCAA Tournament appearance.
- South Carolina is now 26-9 this season when scoring first and 33-4 when leading entering the seventh inning.
- Tonight's game was the first meeting between the two teams since March 15, 1987, a game USC won 7-3 in Columbia, S.C. The last meeting between the two schools in Charlottesville, Va. was on April 17, 1970 when Virginia won 2-1.
- Junior pitcher Harris Honeycutt improved to 6-0 on the season
- Justin Smoak played in his 60th game of the season tonight and after going 2-for-3 tonightwith 2 RBIhe improved to 68-for-233 on the season and has 16 HR and 59 RBI. Both totals are USC freshman records. He is the only Carolina player to start in 60 games in 2006.
- Phil Disher has a five game hitting streak after his performance tonight, which included his first career grand slam. It's the first grand slam for USC since Smoak hit one in the fifth inning against Vanderbilt on 5/18/06. In his last nine starts, Disher has three homers, 2 doubles, and is 12-for-38 with 10 RBI.
- South Carolina will play the winner of the Virginia/Evansville game on Sunday night at 6 p.m.
Game #4 Post-Game Notes June 3, 2006
- Virginia is making its sixth NCAA Regional appearance and third straight under head coach Brian O'Connor.
- For the second time in three years, Virginia is hosting a regional at its won Davenport Field at the UVa Baseball Stadium.
- With tonight's loss, Virginia stands 47-14 overall and 32-4 at home.
- Sophomore LHP Sean Doolittle made his 15th start of the season tonight against South Carolina. He stands 17-15 overall. In his last six starts, Doolittle has 49 strikeouts.
- Doolittle has 21 walks this season, one shy of tying UVa's single-season record of 22 walks.
-With its two RBI tonight, Virginia set the school's single-season record with 412. The previous record of was 411.
-Cavalier Single-Season Record Watch:
Has: 460 Runs, Record is: 467, Needs: 7
Has: 114 Stolen Bases, Record is: 125, Needs: 11
Spring Football NotebookFootball4/20/18As part of the inaugural Wahoowa Weekend, spring football concludes for the Cavaliers with an open practice April 28 at Scott Stadium.Thompson Ready To Lead From FrontWomen's Basketball4/18/18The mood was celebratory Wednesday afternoon at John Paul Jones Arena, where Tina Thompson was introduced as UVA's women's basketball coach.Walsh Ready to Lead 'Hoos in PostseasonMen's Golf4/18/18Healthy again after battling back problems for much of 2017, Thomas Walsh enters this weekend's ACC tournament in good form.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Tuesday's Game vs. ODU Cancelled
Baseball | 4/23/2018
Tuesday's non-conference game against Old Dominion at Harbor Park has been cancelled.
Ninth Inning Rally Clinches Series for Virginia
Baseball | 4/22/2018
Virginia rallied for two runs in the top of the ninth inning to stun Louisville, 2-1.
Virginia Evens Series Behind Strong Pitching
Baseball | 4/21/2018
Daniel Lynch and reliever Bennett Sousa shut down Louisville over the final six innings in a 5-4...
Louisville Takes Opener With Late Rally
Baseball | 4/20/2018
Danny Oriente doubled in two runs in the eighth inning to help, Louisville prevail, 5-4 over...
Virginia Travels to Louisville for Three-Game Series
Baseball | 4/19/2018
Virginia will continue its Atlantic Coast Conference schedule this weekend with a three-game road...
Virginia Powers Past Liberty, 14-3
Baseball | 4/18/2018
A four-run second inning and a five-run seventh aided Virginia to an 14-3 victory over Liberty.
Virginia Walks-off against GW in 12th
Baseball | 04/17/2018
Brendan Rivoli doubled in the winning run in the bottom of the 12th inning in a 3-2 midweek win.
Virginia Baseball Signs John “Parker” Staples
Baseball | 04/16/2018
Virginia head baseball coach Brian O’Connor announced the signing of nine-year-old John ...
- Online Stores