June 4, 2006
Game #4 Post-Game Notes June 3, 2006
- South Carolina is making its seventh consecutive NCAA Regional appearance and eighth under head coach Ray Tanner. USC has advanced to the Super Regional five of the last six years.
- With today's win, South Carolina stands at 39-22 overall and 9-12 in games played on the road. USC has won four of its last six games.
- South Carolina improves to 82-46 (.640) in postseason play in its 22nd NCAA Tournament appearance.
- South Carolina is now 26-9 this season when scoring first and 33-4 when leading entering the seventh inning.
- Tonight's game was the first meeting between the two teams since March 15, 1987, a game USC won 7-3 in Columbia, S.C. The last meeting between the two schools in Charlottesville, Va. was on April 17, 1970 when Virginia won 2-1.
- Junior pitcher Harris Honeycutt improved to 6-0 on the season
- Justin Smoak played in his 60th game of the season tonight and after going 2-for-3 tonightwith 2 RBIhe improved to 68-for-233 on the season and has 16 HR and 59 RBI. Both totals are USC freshman records. He is the only Carolina player to start in 60 games in 2006.
- Phil Disher has a five game hitting streak after his performance tonight, which included his first career grand slam. It's the first grand slam for USC since Smoak hit one in the fifth inning against Vanderbilt on 5/18/06. In his last nine starts, Disher has three homers, 2 doubles, and is 12-for-38 with 10 RBI.
- South Carolina will play the winner of the Virginia/Evansville game on Sunday night at 6 p.m.
Game #4 Post-Game Notes June 3, 2006
- Virginia is making its sixth NCAA Regional appearance and third straight under head coach Brian O'Connor.
- For the second time in three years, Virginia is hosting a regional at its won Davenport Field at the UVa Baseball Stadium.
- With tonight's loss, Virginia stands 47-14 overall and 32-4 at home.
- Sophomore LHP Sean Doolittle made his 15th start of the season tonight against South Carolina. He stands 17-15 overall. In his last six starts, Doolittle has 49 strikeouts.
- Doolittle has 21 walks this season, one shy of tying UVa's single-season record of 22 walks.
-With its two RBI tonight, Virginia set the school's single-season record with 412. The previous record of was 411.
-Cavalier Single-Season Record Watch:
Has: 460 Runs, Record is: 467, Needs: 7
Has: 114 Stolen Bases, Record is: 125, Needs: 11
Reinkensmeyer Moves Center StageFootball9/19/17Redshirt freshman Dillon Reinkensmeyer will make his third start for Virginia -- his second at center -- at Boise State on Friday night.'Hoos Savor Emphatic VictoryFootball9/16/17Virginia, which finished 2-10 in 2016, improved to 2-1 in its second season under head coach Bronco Mendenhall with a 38-18 win over UConn.Cross Training for Heavier WorkloadFootball9/15/17Redshirt freshman De'Vante Cross, who expected to play quarterback and receiver for Virginia this fall, is now practicing at cornerback, too.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Announces 2017 Fall Baseball Schedule
Baseball | 9/14/2017
UVA plays a home exhibition against the Ontario Blue Jays on Oct. 12, and travels to Cary, N.C., ...
Artie Lewicki to Make MLB Debut Monday with Tigers
Baseball | 9/3/2017
Lewicki is the 39th Virginia baseball player to reach Major League Baseball and the 16th Cavalier...
Cavaliers in the Pros: August Update
Baseball | 8/22/2017
Five former Cavaliers are currently playing on first-place teams as MLB heads toward final month ...
Virginia's Summer Baseball Wrapup
Baseball | 8/16/2017
Rising junior Daniel Lynch had a breakout summer while playing for the Orleans Firebirds and was ...
Jeff White: UVA Greats Enjoying Reunion in D.C.
Baseball | 7/28/2017
Ryan Zimmerman and Sean Doolittle, who were teammates at UVA in 2005, now play together on the...
Cavaliers in the Pros: All-Star Break Update
Baseball | 7/12/2017
For the third straight season, 11 former Virginia baseball players have seen time at the Major...
Summer Baseball Update
Baseball | 07/11/2017
Virginia's Bobby Nicholson (NECBL) and Grant Donahue (PGCBL) each were named their respective...
Three Cavaliers Named to All-ACC Academic Team
Baseball | 06/29/2017
Robbie Coman, Tommy Doyle and Chesdin Harrington each were named to the all-academic team for the...
- Online Stores