June 4, 2006
Game #4 Post-Game Notes June 3, 2006
- South Carolina is making its seventh consecutive NCAA Regional appearance and eighth under head coach Ray Tanner. USC has advanced to the Super Regional five of the last six years.
- With today's win, South Carolina stands at 39-22 overall and 9-12 in games played on the road. USC has won four of its last six games.
- South Carolina improves to 82-46 (.640) in postseason play in its 22nd NCAA Tournament appearance.
- South Carolina is now 26-9 this season when scoring first and 33-4 when leading entering the seventh inning.
- Tonight's game was the first meeting between the two teams since March 15, 1987, a game USC won 7-3 in Columbia, S.C. The last meeting between the two schools in Charlottesville, Va. was on April 17, 1970 when Virginia won 2-1.
- Junior pitcher Harris Honeycutt improved to 6-0 on the season
- Justin Smoak played in his 60th game of the season tonight and after going 2-for-3 tonightwith 2 RBIhe improved to 68-for-233 on the season and has 16 HR and 59 RBI. Both totals are USC freshman records. He is the only Carolina player to start in 60 games in 2006.
- Phil Disher has a five game hitting streak after his performance tonight, which included his first career grand slam. It's the first grand slam for USC since Smoak hit one in the fifth inning against Vanderbilt on 5/18/06. In his last nine starts, Disher has three homers, 2 doubles, and is 12-for-38 with 10 RBI.
- South Carolina will play the winner of the Virginia/Evansville game on Sunday night at 6 p.m.
Game #4 Post-Game Notes June 3, 2006
- Virginia is making its sixth NCAA Regional appearance and third straight under head coach Brian O'Connor.
- For the second time in three years, Virginia is hosting a regional at its won Davenport Field at the UVa Baseball Stadium.
- With tonight's loss, Virginia stands 47-14 overall and 32-4 at home.
- Sophomore LHP Sean Doolittle made his 15th start of the season tonight against South Carolina. He stands 17-15 overall. In his last six starts, Doolittle has 49 strikeouts.
- Doolittle has 21 walks this season, one shy of tying UVa's single-season record of 22 walks.
-With its two RBI tonight, Virginia set the school's single-season record with 412. The previous record of was 411.
-Cavalier Single-Season Record Watch:
Has: 460 Runs, Record is: 467, Needs: 7
Has: 114 Stolen Bases, Record is: 125, Needs: 11
'Hoos Eager to Seize Opportunity Friday NightFootball11/21/17At 8 p.m. Friday, in the annual battle for the Commonwealth Clash, UVA (6-5 overall, 3-4 ACC) meets Virginia Tech (8-3, 4-3) at Scott Stadium.Hunter Dazzles as 'Hoos Stay UnbeatenMen's Basketball11/19/17Behind a career-high 23 points from redshirt freshman De'Andre Hunter, unbeaten Virginia defeated Monmouth 73-53 on Sunday at JPJ.'Hoos Rue Missed OpportunityFootball11/18/17On an afternoon when Kurt Benkert threw four touchdown passes, Virginia twice built 14-point leads before falling 44-28 to No. 2 Miami at Hard Rock Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Orange Wins Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 11/5/2017
For the third year in a row, Orange was crowned Orange and Blue World Series champions.
Jeff White: Sousa Has Unfinished Business at UVA
Baseball | 11/3/2017
Senior left-hander Bennett Sousa, who was 3-0 with a 4.09 ERA last season, will be a key member...
Inaugural Hall of Fame Class to be Inducted at 2018 Step Up ...
Baseball | 11/2/2017
The Virginia Baseball program will announce its inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class at...
Two-Run, Two-Out Rally Lifts Orange to Game 5 Victory
Baseball | 10/31/2017
Orange took control of the second portion of the seven-game Orange and Blue World Series with a 5...
Blue Takes First Three-Game Series with 5-0 Win in Game 3
Baseball | 10/29/2017
The Blue team captured the first three-game series based on run differential, but the Orange...
Orange & Blue World Series Schedule Changes
Baseball | 10/26/2017
The teams now will play Game 4 at 4 p.m. Saturday and Game 5 at 3:30 p.m. Monday
Orange Pulls Out Game 2 Victory, 5-4
Baseball | 10/24/2017
Nate Eikhoff went 2-for-3 with a homer and three RBI to lead the Orange, while Cameron Comer...
Orange Holds On For Game 1 Win, 3-2
Baseball | 10/20/2017
Jake McCarthy drove in all three of the Orange's runs in a 3-2 Game 1 win over the Blue.
- Online Stores