June 4, 2006
Game #4 Post-Game Notes June 3, 2006
- South Carolina is making its seventh consecutive NCAA Regional appearance and eighth under head coach Ray Tanner. USC has advanced to the Super Regional five of the last six years.
- With today's win, South Carolina stands at 39-22 overall and 9-12 in games played on the road. USC has won four of its last six games.
- South Carolina improves to 82-46 (.640) in postseason play in its 22nd NCAA Tournament appearance.
- South Carolina is now 26-9 this season when scoring first and 33-4 when leading entering the seventh inning.
- Tonight's game was the first meeting between the two teams since March 15, 1987, a game USC won 7-3 in Columbia, S.C. The last meeting between the two schools in Charlottesville, Va. was on April 17, 1970 when Virginia won 2-1.
- Junior pitcher Harris Honeycutt improved to 6-0 on the season
- Justin Smoak played in his 60th game of the season tonight and after going 2-for-3 tonightwith 2 RBIhe improved to 68-for-233 on the season and has 16 HR and 59 RBI. Both totals are USC freshman records. He is the only Carolina player to start in 60 games in 2006.
- Phil Disher has a five game hitting streak after his performance tonight, which included his first career grand slam. It's the first grand slam for USC since Smoak hit one in the fifth inning against Vanderbilt on 5/18/06. In his last nine starts, Disher has three homers, 2 doubles, and is 12-for-38 with 10 RBI.
- South Carolina will play the winner of the Virginia/Evansville game on Sunday night at 6 p.m.
Game #4 Post-Game Notes June 3, 2006
- Virginia is making its sixth NCAA Regional appearance and third straight under head coach Brian O'Connor.
- For the second time in three years, Virginia is hosting a regional at its won Davenport Field at the UVa Baseball Stadium.
- With tonight's loss, Virginia stands 47-14 overall and 32-4 at home.
- Sophomore LHP Sean Doolittle made his 15th start of the season tonight against South Carolina. He stands 17-15 overall. In his last six starts, Doolittle has 49 strikeouts.
- Doolittle has 21 walks this season, one shy of tying UVa's single-season record of 22 walks.
-With its two RBI tonight, Virginia set the school's single-season record with 412. The previous record of was 411.
-Cavalier Single-Season Record Watch:
Has: 460 Runs, Record is: 467, Needs: 7
Has: 114 Stolen Bases, Record is: 125, Needs: 11
'Hoos Head Into Finals on High NoteMen's Basketball12/7/16No. 14 Virginia, which defeated East Carolina on Tuesday night, doesn't play again until Dec. 17, when Robert Morris visits JPJ.'Hoos Learn Painful Lessons in LossMen's Basketball12/3/16No. 6 Virginia's 24-game winning streak at John Paul Jones Arena ended Saturday with a 66-57 loss to No. 25 West Virginia.Soccer Teams Turn Attention to 2017Men's Soccer12/2/16The Virginia men's and women's soccer teams are fixtures in their respective NCAA tournaments, and 2017 should bring more success for both.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Ozzie Smith Headlines 2017 Step Up to the Plate
Baseball | 11/4/2016
The 15th annual event will be held Saturday, Jan. 28, at John Paul Jones Arena.
Orange Wins Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 11/1/2016
McCarthy's 3-run home run breaks 2-2 tie and leads Orange to series-clinching win.
Blue Wins Games 5 and 6, Forces Deciding Game 7
Baseball | 10/29/2016
Blue wins Game 5, 8-7, and Game 6, 8-1, to win second series and set up a deciding Game 7 on Sunday.
Orange Claims Game 4, 8-3
Baseball | 10/24/2016
Ernie Clement hit two home runs as the Orange team earned an 8-3 win in the first game of the...
Orange Downs Blue 8-1, Takes First Series
Baseball | 10/19/2016
The Orange team clinched the first three-game series of the 2016 Orange & Blue World Series with ...
Orange Holds Off Blue in Game 1, 8-6
Baseball | 10/12/2016
Cameron Comer went 3-for-4 with three RBI for the Orange squad, while Pavin Smith and Adam...
Orange & Blue World Series Begins Tuesday
Baseball | 10/10/2016
Seven-game series runs through Oct. 30 at Davenport Field; Game 3 moved from Oct. 16 to Oct. 21.
Virginia Baseball Announces 2017 Schedule
Baseball | 10/06/2016
2017 Schedule | The Cavaliers open their season Feb. 17-19 in Charleston, S.C., prior to...
- Online Stores