June 10, 2013
2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Super Regional • Game 2
June 9, 2013 • 7 p.m.
Mississippi State (48-18) vs. Virginia (50-12)
VIRGINIA POST-GAME NOTES
• There were two delays due to weather, the first lasted 22 minutes in the bottom of the second inning. The second delay lasted 18 hours and three minutes in the bottom of the seventh
• With the loss, UVa lost back-to-back games at Davenport Field for the first time all season
• Virginia batters struck out 12 times, a team season high for a game
• Brandon Downes hit his team-leading 10th home run of the season in the top of the second inning. It was his first dinger since hitting one on May 23 against Georgia Tech in the ACC Tournament
• LHP Scott Silverstein matched his shortest outing of the season, tying his 3.1 innings pitched at Clemson on March 16
• LHP Kyle Crockett made his 88th career appearance, which ranks No. 5 all-time in the UVa annals
• Crockett, with the help of a ground out double play, went 1-2-3 in the sixth inning, the first time during the Super Regionals UVa pitching didn't face more than three batters in an inning - a streak of 14 innings
• In the 17 innings of the Super Regional, the Cavalier defense only managed two 1-2-3 innings, also sending MSU down in order in the bottom of the eighth inning
• With his walk in the top of the ninth inning, Mike Papi has reached base in 22 consecutive games
• Hitting streaks extended: Towns (11), Irving (7), Downes (4), Howard (4), Gragnani (3), King (3)
• Virginia's appearance in the 2013 NCAA Tournament serves as the program's 13th all-time tournament appearance, including its 10th straight
• Virginia concludes its 2013 with 50 wins, the third 50-win season in program history and third in past four seasons and third-most for a season all-time at UVa
• Virginia's appearance in the NCAA Super Regional is the program's fourth appearance and the fourth in five seasons
• The Cavaliers are now 33-29 all-time in NCAA Tournament play and 27-22 under head coach Brian O'Connor
• Virginia is now 5-6 all-time in the NCAA Super Regionals and 3-5 in NCAA Super Regionals played at Davenport Field
• Virginia finished with a season attendance of 124,374, an average of 3,189 fans per game. It marks UVa's second-highest season attendance total behind only the 2010 season
• With 4,956 fans entering Davenport Field on Sunday, Virginia sold out its eighth NCAA Super Regional game in a row. UVa drew 4,801 for each of the three games against Oklahoma in 2010 and drew 5,050 fans for each of the three games against UC Irvine in 2011. UVa also drew
MISSISSIPPI STATE POST-GAME NOTES
• State wins the NCAA Virginia Super Regional 2-0, advancing to its ninth College World Series
• MSU wins its first super regional away from Dudy Noble Field.
• MSU improves to 5-6 in super regional contests.
• MSU had at least one base runner in the first 16 innings of the super regional.
• State's 48 wins ties for the fourth-most in school history with the 1979 club (48-12)
• First pitch on Sunday, June 9 at 7:05 p.m. with two rain delays, one that began in the bottom of the second lasted 22 minutes. The game was suspended again in the bottom of the seventh with a rain delay lasting 18 hours, 3 minutes. The game resumed on Monday, June 10 at 4:05 p.m.
• Attendance for today's game was 4,956.
• The game lasted 3 hours and 46 minutes.
• Alex Detz and Adam Frazier have each reached base in 18 straight games.
• Frazier was 2-for-5in the game, going 8-for-11 (.727) with 5 RBI in the NCAA Charlottesville Super Regional.
• Wes Rea mashed his seventh homerun of the season and 12th of his career in the third inning. It was MSU's first homerun since May 16th (Rea vs. South Carolina).
• Trevor Fitts started the game, but did not receive a decision, pitching 2.1 innings, allowing one run on two hits
• Chad Girodo earned the win, pitching 4.2 innings, allowing two runs on five hits
• Girodo struck out 10 batters, walking two
• In the NCAA Tournament (three appearances), Girodo has tossed 13.0 innings, striking out 24 and walking only 4. He is 2-0 and has allowed three total earned runs in those outings (2.07 ERA)
• Virginia's two earned runs scored off Girodo was the first time this year he allowed more than earned run in a game.
• Jonathan Holder earned his 18th save of the season, working 2.0 innings with two runs (one earned) on two hits with two strikeouts and a walk.
• Holder allowed two runs (one earned) in the ninth inning. He allowed one run against Central Arkansas on May 31, giving him a 6.00 ERA in the postseason with a pair of saves
• Brett Pirtle has reached base in 39 straight games.
• Frazier recorded his 33rd multiple hit game of the year and 10th multiple RBI game.
• It was Frazier's 54th game with a hit this season.
• Hunter Renfroe extended the team's longest active hitting streak to seven games.
• Derrick Armstrong tied a career high with two hits.
• Girodo made his 34th appearance of the season, which moves him into a tied for third-most (with Van Johnson) in a single season at MSU.
• Detz drew his 52nd walk of the season in the first inning, which moves him into a tie for 10th (with Nat Showalter and Barry Windford) for the most walks in a single season at MSU.
• With two hits in the game, Frazier now has 102 hits for the season, which ties for second-most (with Tommy Raffo) in a single season in MSU history.
• Fraizer recorded his 283rd plate appearance of the season in the sixth inning, which ties him for third all-time in MSU's single season history with Burke Masters.
• C.T. Bradford recorded his 21 multiple hit game, which is third most on the team.
• Girodo's 81 career appearances is tied for seventh-most all time with Mike Martin.
Thompson Ready To Lead From FrontWomen's Basketball4/18/18The mood was celebratory Wednesday afternoon at John Paul Jones Arena, where Tina Thompson was introduced as UVA's women's basketball coach.Walsh Ready to Lead 'Hoos in PostseasonMen's Golf4/18/18Healthy again after battling back problems for much of 2017, Thomas Walsh enters this weekend's ACC tournament in good form.Thompson Era Begins for CavaliersWomen's Basketball4/18/18Tina Thompson will be introduced as UVA's head women's basketball coach Wednesday afternoon at John Paul Jones Arena.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Travels to Louisville for Three-Game Series
Baseball | 4/19/2018
Virginia will continue its Atlantic Coast Conference schedule this weekend with a three-game road...
Virginia Powers Past Liberty, 14-3
Baseball | 4/18/2018
A four-run second inning and a five-run seventh aided Virginia to an 14-3 victory over Liberty.
Virginia Walks-off against GW in 12th
Baseball | 4/17/2018
Brendan Rivoli doubled in the winning run in the bottom of the 12th inning in a 3-2 midweek win.
Virginia Baseball Signs John “Parker” Staples
Baseball | 4/16/2018
Virginia head baseball coach Brian O’Connor announced the signing of nine-year-old John ...
Pair of Midweeks Close Out Virginia Home Stand
Baseball | 4/16/2018
Virginia hosts George Washington on Tuesday and Liberty on Wednesday to conclude home stand.
No. 22 UNC Sweeps DH to Clinch Series
Baseball | 4/14/2018
North Carolina clinched its third-straight ACC series with a 12-5 victory over Virginia in the...
Cavaliers Shut Out No. 22 UNC in Series Opener
Baseball | 04/13/2018
Virginia blanked No. 22 North Carolina , 4-0 in the opening game of a three-game ACC series.
UVA-UNC Will Play Doubleheader on Saturday
Baseball | 04/13/2018
Due to the forecast of inclement weather on Sunday, Virginia and North Carolina will play a...
- Online Stores