March 5, 2018
|Davidson at No. 19 Virginia|
|Date/Time||Tuesday March 6 | 1 p.m.|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | Disharoon Park|
|Live Video||ACC Network Extra|
|Social Media||UVA Game Notes | Twitter: @UVABaseball | O'Connor Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Winners of six of its last seven games, No. 19 Virginia (8-4) will conclude a 10-game home stand on Tuesday (March 6) with a non-conference tilt against Davidson (8-3). First pitch at Disharoon Park is slated for 1 p.m.
Game Coverage: Tuesday’s contest will be carried live on ACC Network Extra, a dedicated digital channel for ACC sports which is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app at no additional charge.
Hot Dog will be tomorrow’s featured item at the ballpark concession stands and be sold for $2 throughout the game as part of the “$2 Tuesday” promotion. At each Tuesday home game this season a designated concession item will be sold for $2. Free hot chocolate will also be available to all in attendance.
Clear Bag Policy
Consistent with what is already in place at Scott Stadium, John Paul Jones Arena and Klöckner Stadium fans attending games at Disharoon Park this season must adhere to the department’s clear bag policy and entrance procedures. Details of the of the policy can be found here: http://www.virginiasports.com/facilities/clear_bag_Davenport_Klockner.html
Probable Pitching Matchup
Davidson – RHP Connor Gordon (2-1, 0.00 ERA, 11.2 IP, 5 BB, 11 SO)
Virginia – RHP Bobby Nicholson (0-0, 1.42 EA, 6.1 IP, 4 BB, 5 SO)
• Virginia and Davidson will meet for the first time since 1992.
• The Cavaliers own a 13-5 advantage in an all-time series that began in 1903
• Virginia has won four of the last five meetings against the Wildcats
• On the current home stand, Virginia boasts a 6-3 record and has won six of the last seven games.
• Virginia has won its last four games by one run and are 4-1 in games decided by a run in 2018.
• The Cavaliers have come-from-behind in their last three wins, including two that have ended in walk-off fashion.
• Virginia captured its second-straight series win despite holding a lead in four of the 27 innings played over the weekend against Yale.
In the Polls
• Baseball America has Virginia holding steady at No. 14 in its Top 25 poll while the Cavaliers moved up two spots to No. 17 in D1Baseball’s national rankings.
• Virginia moved down a slot in the USA Today Coaches poll to No. 19 and slipped to No. 27 in Collegiate Baseball’s weekly rankings.
League and National Leaders
• Junior Jake McCarthy has been successful in all seven stolen base attempts this year, tied for the most in the ACC and 16th most in the country.
• After back-to-back 12-strikeout performances, Derek Casey leads the ACC and ranks 10th in the nation with 31 strikeouts. Casey is the first Cavalier since UVA Baseball Hall of Famer, Danny Hultzen in 2011, to record 12 or more strikeouts in consecutive starts.
• Senior Caleb Knight added two RBI to his season total on Sunday and goes into Tuesday tied for sixth in the ACC with 13.
• Junior Andy Weber’s team-best 17 hits on the season are tied for the eighth most in the ACC.
• As a team, Virginia boasts the fifth highest batting average (.290) amongst its ACC cohorts.
• Caleb Knight and Nate Eikhoff have reached base in all 12 games this season.
• Weber, who had his 12-game hit streak (dating back to last season) snapped against William & Mary last Wednesday, has a hit in 11 of the 12 games played in 2018.
• Justin Novak has a hit in all 10 games in which he’s appeared and leads the team with a .378 batting average. He ranks in the top-50 on the NCAA’s toughest to strikeout list, with only two strikeouts in 37 at bats.
• The Wildcats dropped games one and three in a weekend series at home against Lehigh. Coming into the series, Davidson was 7-1.
• In 2017, the Wildcats posted a 35-26 record and won their first conference title in the 115-year existence of the program. Davidson went 3-0 in the Chapel Hill Regional, defeating No. 2 seed North Carolina twice in the process.
• Junior Eric Jones earned Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Week honors last week (Feb. 20-25) after hitting .462 (6-for-13) with three home runs and 17 RBIs in five games.
'Hoos Exit With Heads Held HighWomen's Basketball3/19/18In its first trip to the NCAA tourney since 2010, 10th-seeded Virginia went 1-1 in Columbia, S.C., defeating seventh-seeded Cal and losing to second-seeded South Carolina.'Hoos Look To Take Next Step in NCAA TourneyWomen's Basketball3/18/18A win Sunday night over second-seeded South Carolina would send 10th-seeded Virginia to the NCAA tournament's Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2000.End Comes Too Soon for No. 1 CavaliersMen's Basketball3/17/18In the NCAA tournament's first round, No. 1 seed Virginia lost 74-54 to No. 16 seed UMBC in a South Region game in Charlotte, N.C.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia-Towson Midweek Series Cancelled
Baseball | 3/20/2018
The Virginia-Towson midweek baseball series, scheduled to take place on Tuesday (March 20) and...
No. 21 Virginia Clinches Series in Walk-off Fashion
Baseball | 3/18/2018
Virginia scored three runs in the bottom of the 10th inning as part of a 10-9 series-clinching...
Cavaliers Even Series with Boston College
Baseball | 3/17/2018
A five-run, seventh inning and a career day from Daniel Lynch helped Virginia to even the series ...
Game Two Start Time Moved to 3:30 p.m.
Baseball | 3/17/2018
The first pitch of Saturday’s (March 17) ACC game against Boston College has been moved to ...
No. 21 Virginia Drops Series Opener to BC
Baseball | 3/16/2018
Boston College scored five of the game’s last six runs in a 6-2 series opening victory over...
ACC Play Resumes for No. 21 Virginia
Baseball | 3/15/2018
No. 21 Virginia will play its first home ACC series this weekend when it hosts BC at Disharoon...
No. 24 Virginia Hosts Towson in Midweek Series
Baseball | 03/19/2018
No. 24 Virginia will host Towson in a two-game midweek series beginning on Tuesday and concluding...
No. 21 Virginia Walks Off Against JMU
Baseball | 03/14/2018
Tanner Morris delivered a bases loaded sacrifice fly in the bottom of the ninth inning in a 3-2...
- Online Stores