May 31, 2013
2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Regional • Game 1
May 31, 2013 • 1 p.m.
Army (29-22) vs. Virginia (48-10)
VIRGINIA POST-GAME NOTES
• Virginia’s appearance in the 2013 NCAA Regional serves as the program’s 13th all-time tournament appearance, including its 10th straight
• The Cavaliers are now 31-27 all-time in NCAA Tournament play and 25-21 under head coach Brian O’Connor
• Virginia has won its opening game of an NCAA Regional for the fifth consecutive season
• The win was UVa’s first in the NCAA Tournament since topping this same Army squad 9-1 in the opening game of the 2012 Charlottesville Regional.
• Starting pitcher Brandon Waddell picked up his first career win in NCAA play and his seven innings pitched tied his longest outing of his rookie campaign (Waddell also went seven innings at North Carolina on May 16)
• Waddell’s eight strikeouts are the most he has thrown since striking out eight Clemson Tigers on March 15. Waddell yielded three hits, the fewest of any of his outing this year, also matching the three Harvard gained through six innings on March 1
• Mike Papi collected his first career hit in NCAA Tournament play with an RBI knock that tied the game at 1-1 in the fifth inning
• UVa pitching duo of Waddell and Kyle Crockett limited the first five batters in the Army lineup to 2-of-19 hitting (.105) and zero extra-base hits
• UVa yielded zero walks for the seventh time in 2013 and the first since Cavalier pitchers did not walk any Liberty batters on April 2 in Lynchburg.
• UVa pitchers struck out 12 Army batters, reaching double figures in strikeouts for the 17th time in 2013 and the first second game in a row (vs. FSU in ACC Tournament).• Kyle Crockett collected his 11th save of the season, which ties for No. 6 all-time at UVa for a season.
Transfers Eager to Help Lift ProgramFootball5/26/16UVA's football team added three transfers this spring: quarterback Kurt Benkert, offensive guard Jared Cohen and defensive end Jack Powers.Cavaliers' Reign Atop NCAA ContinuesMen's Tennis5/25/16With a 4-1 win over Oklahoma on Tuesday night, top-seeded Virginia captured its second straight NCAA men's title and third in four seasons.Mihaljevic's Star Continues to RiseTrack & Field, Cross Country5/24/16In junior Filip Mihaljevic, Virginia's track & field team has one of the nation's elite shot putters and discus throwers.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 7 Virginia Falls to No. 12 Clemson, 5-4
Baseball | 5/26/2016
Matt Thaiss and Daniel Pinero each homered and went 2-for-3 for the Cavaliers in the narrow setback.
NCAA Regional, Super Regional Ticket Books On Sale Friday
Baseball | 5/26/2016
Potential Regional would be played June 3-6 at Davenport Field, Super Regional June 10-12 or 11-13.
No. 3 Seed UVA Begins ACC Tournament Thursday
Baseball | 5/25/2016
The No. 3 seed Cavaliers face No. 6 seed Clemson Thursday, No. 10 Wake Forest Friday and No. 2 ...
Four Cavaliers Named to 2016 All-ACC Team
Baseball | 5/23/2016
Connor Jones earned first-team honors at starting pitcher to highlight the Cavaliers’ four ...
ACC Baseball Championship Schedule Announced
Baseball | 5/22/2016
After winning 12 of its final 15 ACC games, UVA ascended to the No. 3 seed and will play Clemson ...
No. 8 Virginia Sweeps Virginia Tech with 4-1 Win
Baseball | 5/21/2016
Haseley (8-3) tossed his first career complete game, allowing just an unearned run and two hits...
Jeff White: Power Surge Contributing to Success
Baseball | 05/21/2016
Timely home runs helped No. 8 Virginia win the first two games of its series with ACC rival...
No. 8 Virginia Walks Off with 7-6 Win over Virginia Tech
Baseball | 05/20/2016
Jack Gerstenmaier drew a bases-loaded walk in the ninth inning as Virginia walked off with the...
- Online Stores