May 31, 2013
2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Regional • Game 1
May 31, 2013 • 1 p.m.
Army (29-22) vs. Virginia (48-10)
VIRGINIA POST-GAME NOTES
• Virginia’s appearance in the 2013 NCAA Regional serves as the program’s 13th all-time tournament appearance, including its 10th straight
• The Cavaliers are now 31-27 all-time in NCAA Tournament play and 25-21 under head coach Brian O’Connor
• Virginia has won its opening game of an NCAA Regional for the fifth consecutive season
• The win was UVa’s first in the NCAA Tournament since topping this same Army squad 9-1 in the opening game of the 2012 Charlottesville Regional.
• Starting pitcher Brandon Waddell picked up his first career win in NCAA play and his seven innings pitched tied his longest outing of his rookie campaign (Waddell also went seven innings at North Carolina on May 16)
• Waddell’s eight strikeouts are the most he has thrown since striking out eight Clemson Tigers on March 15. Waddell yielded three hits, the fewest of any of his outing this year, also matching the three Harvard gained through six innings on March 1
• Mike Papi collected his first career hit in NCAA Tournament play with an RBI knock that tied the game at 1-1 in the fifth inning
• UVa pitching duo of Waddell and Kyle Crockett limited the first five batters in the Army lineup to 2-of-19 hitting (.105) and zero extra-base hits
• UVa yielded zero walks for the seventh time in 2013 and the first since Cavalier pitchers did not walk any Liberty batters on April 2 in Lynchburg.
• UVa pitchers struck out 12 Army batters, reaching double figures in strikeouts for the 17th time in 2013 and the first second game in a row (vs. FSU in ACC Tournament).• Kyle Crockett collected his 11th save of the season, which ties for No. 6 all-time at UVa for a season.
O-Line Looking to Raise Its GameFootball3/24/17Guard Jack McDonald and tackle Jack English are the returning starters on the offensive line for Virginia, which starts spring practice Tuesday.Weber Hitting Right Notes on DiamondBaseball3/23/17Sophomore Andy Weber starts at second base for No. 16 Virginia, which hosts ACC rival Duke this weekend at Davenport Field.Successful Season Ends on Excruciating NoteMen's Basketball3/19/17Virginia's fourth consecutive appearance in the NCAA tournament ended with a 65-39 second-round loss to Florida in Orlando, Fla.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 16 Virginia Powers Past Duke, 13-6
Baseball | 3/25/2017
The Cavaliers evened the series at a game apiece, with the rubber game slated for 1 p.m. Sunday.
No. 16 Virginia Drops Opener to Duke
Baseball | 3/24/2017
Virginia fell to 17-6 on the year, including a 2-5 mark in ACC play, with the loss.
No. 16 UVA Welcomes Duke for Three-Game Series
Baseball | 3/23/2017
Game 1 is slated for 4 p.m. Friday, with 1 p.m. contests on Saturday and Sunday to follow.
Jeff White: Weber Hitting Right Notes on Diamond
Baseball | 3/23/2017
Sophomore Andy Weber starts at second base for No. 16 Virginia, which hosts ACC rival Duke this...
No. 16 Virginia Baseball Topples Towson, 8-4
Baseball | 3/22/2017
Eight Virginia pitchers combined to limit Towson to two hits in the win as the Cavaliers improved...
No. 16 Virginia Picks Up 3-2 Win Over Towson
Baseball | 3/21/2017
The Cavaliers got two hits apiece from Jake McCarthy and Ernie Clement, while three UVA pitchers ...
No. 16 Virginia Tangles With Towson in Two-Game Series
Baseball | 03/20/2017
Virginia Drops Series to Clemson with 12-1 Sunday Loss
Baseball | 03/19/2017
For the second day in a row, Clemson jumped out to an early lead and used it cruise to a 12-1 win...
- Online Stores