May 31, 2013
2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Regional • Game 1
May 31, 2013 • 1 p.m.
Army (29-22) vs. Virginia (48-10)
VIRGINIA POST-GAME NOTES
• Virginia’s appearance in the 2013 NCAA Regional serves as the program’s 13th all-time tournament appearance, including its 10th straight
• The Cavaliers are now 31-27 all-time in NCAA Tournament play and 25-21 under head coach Brian O’Connor
• Virginia has won its opening game of an NCAA Regional for the fifth consecutive season
• The win was UVa’s first in the NCAA Tournament since topping this same Army squad 9-1 in the opening game of the 2012 Charlottesville Regional.
• Starting pitcher Brandon Waddell picked up his first career win in NCAA play and his seven innings pitched tied his longest outing of his rookie campaign (Waddell also went seven innings at North Carolina on May 16)
• Waddell’s eight strikeouts are the most he has thrown since striking out eight Clemson Tigers on March 15. Waddell yielded three hits, the fewest of any of his outing this year, also matching the three Harvard gained through six innings on March 1
• Mike Papi collected his first career hit in NCAA Tournament play with an RBI knock that tied the game at 1-1 in the fifth inning
• UVa pitching duo of Waddell and Kyle Crockett limited the first five batters in the Army lineup to 2-of-19 hitting (.105) and zero extra-base hits
• UVa yielded zero walks for the seventh time in 2013 and the first since Cavalier pitchers did not walk any Liberty batters on April 2 in Lynchburg.
• UVa pitchers struck out 12 Army batters, reaching double figures in strikeouts for the 17th time in 2013 and the first second game in a row (vs. FSU in ACC Tournament).• Kyle Crockett collected his 11th save of the season, which ties for No. 6 all-time at UVa for a season.
'Hoos Head Into Finals on High NoteMen's Basketball12/7/16No. 14 Virginia, which defeated East Carolina on Tuesday night, doesn't play again until Dec. 17, when Robert Morris visits JPJ.'Hoos Learn Painful Lessons in LossMen's Basketball12/3/16No. 6 Virginia's 24-game winning streak at John Paul Jones Arena ended Saturday with a 66-57 loss to No. 25 West Virginia.Soccer Teams Turn Attention to 2017Men's Soccer12/2/16The Virginia men's and women's soccer teams are fixtures in their respective NCAA tournaments, and 2017 should bring more success for both.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Ozzie Smith Headlines 2017 Step Up to the Plate
Baseball | 11/4/2016
The 15th annual event will be held Saturday, Jan. 28, at John Paul Jones Arena.
Orange Wins Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 11/1/2016
McCarthy's 3-run home run breaks 2-2 tie and leads Orange to series-clinching win.
Blue Wins Games 5 and 6, Forces Deciding Game 7
Baseball | 10/29/2016
Blue wins Game 5, 8-7, and Game 6, 8-1, to win second series and set up a deciding Game 7 on Sunday.
Orange Claims Game 4, 8-3
Baseball | 10/24/2016
Ernie Clement hit two home runs as the Orange team earned an 8-3 win in the first game of the...
Orange Downs Blue 8-1, Takes First Series
Baseball | 10/19/2016
The Orange team clinched the first three-game series of the 2016 Orange & Blue World Series with ...
Orange Holds Off Blue in Game 1, 8-6
Baseball | 10/12/2016
Cameron Comer went 3-for-4 with three RBI for the Orange squad, while Pavin Smith and Adam...
Orange & Blue World Series Begins Tuesday
Baseball | 10/10/2016
Seven-game series runs through Oct. 30 at Davenport Field; Game 3 moved from Oct. 16 to Oct. 21.
Virginia Baseball Announces 2017 Schedule
Baseball | 10/06/2016
2017 Schedule | The Cavaliers open their season Feb. 17-19 in Charleston, S.C., prior to...
- Online Stores