May 31, 2013
2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Regional • Game 1
May 31, 2013 • 1 p.m.
Army (29-22) vs. Virginia (48-10)
VIRGINIA POST-GAME NOTES
• Virginia’s appearance in the 2013 NCAA Regional serves as the program’s 13th all-time tournament appearance, including its 10th straight
• The Cavaliers are now 31-27 all-time in NCAA Tournament play and 25-21 under head coach Brian O’Connor
• Virginia has won its opening game of an NCAA Regional for the fifth consecutive season
• The win was UVa’s first in the NCAA Tournament since topping this same Army squad 9-1 in the opening game of the 2012 Charlottesville Regional.
• Starting pitcher Brandon Waddell picked up his first career win in NCAA play and his seven innings pitched tied his longest outing of his rookie campaign (Waddell also went seven innings at North Carolina on May 16)
• Waddell’s eight strikeouts are the most he has thrown since striking out eight Clemson Tigers on March 15. Waddell yielded three hits, the fewest of any of his outing this year, also matching the three Harvard gained through six innings on March 1
• Mike Papi collected his first career hit in NCAA Tournament play with an RBI knock that tied the game at 1-1 in the fifth inning
• UVa pitching duo of Waddell and Kyle Crockett limited the first five batters in the Army lineup to 2-of-19 hitting (.105) and zero extra-base hits
• UVa yielded zero walks for the seventh time in 2013 and the first since Cavalier pitchers did not walk any Liberty batters on April 2 in Lynchburg.
• UVa pitchers struck out 12 Army batters, reaching double figures in strikeouts for the 17th time in 2013 and the first second game in a row (vs. FSU in ACC Tournament).• Kyle Crockett collected his 11th save of the season, which ties for No. 6 all-time at UVa for a season.
Williams Eager to Build on Legacy of SuccessGeneral Release10/23/17Carla Williams was introduced Monday as director of athletics Craig Littlepage's successor at UVA. Littlepage is retiring after 16 years as AD.Williams Excited About Opportunity at UVAGeneral Release10/22/17The next athletics director at UVA will be Carla Williams, who's been a student--athlete, coach and an administrator at the University of Georgia.'Hoos Take Step Back in One-Sided LossFootball10/21/17For Virginia, which lost 41-10 to visiting Boston College on Saturday, the next opportunity to become bowl-eligible comes next weekend at Pitt.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Orange Holds On For Game 1 Win, 3-2
Baseball | 10/20/2017
Jake McCarthy drove in all three of the Orange's runs in a 3-2 Game 1 win over the Blue.
Orange & Blue World Series Starts Thursday
Baseball | 10/18/2017
The Orange and Blue World Series consists of seven games, beginning Thursday (Oct. 19) and...
Virginia Opens Fall Exhibition Schedule Thursday
Baseball | 10/11/2017
Virginia hosts the Ontario Blue Jays at 3 p.m. Thursday (Oct. 12) and plays Davidson in Cary, N.C...
Virginia Baseball Announces 2018 Schedule
Baseball | 10/5/2017
UVA will play 35 games at the newly-renovated Davenport Field, including ACC series with BC,...
Jeff White: Transformation Under Way at Davenport Field
Baseball | 9/27/2017
A major renovation of Davenport Field began in June and is scheduled to be completed before UVA's...
Virginia Announces 2017 Fall Baseball Schedule
Baseball | 9/14/2017
UVA plays a home exhibition against the Ontario Blue Jays on Oct. 12, and travels to Cary, N.C., ...
Artie Lewicki to Make MLB Debut Monday with Tigers
Baseball | 09/03/2017
Lewicki is the 39th Virginia baseball player to reach Major League Baseball and the 16th Cavalier...
Cavaliers in the Pros: August Update
Baseball | 08/22/2017
Five former Cavaliers are currently playing on first-place teams as MLB heads toward final month ...
- Online Stores