May 31, 2013
2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Regional • Game 1
May 31, 2013 • 1 p.m.
Army (29-22) vs. Virginia (48-10)
VIRGINIA POST-GAME NOTES
• Virginia’s appearance in the 2013 NCAA Regional serves as the program’s 13th all-time tournament appearance, including its 10th straight
• The Cavaliers are now 31-27 all-time in NCAA Tournament play and 25-21 under head coach Brian O’Connor
• Virginia has won its opening game of an NCAA Regional for the fifth consecutive season
• The win was UVa’s first in the NCAA Tournament since topping this same Army squad 9-1 in the opening game of the 2012 Charlottesville Regional.
• Starting pitcher Brandon Waddell picked up his first career win in NCAA play and his seven innings pitched tied his longest outing of his rookie campaign (Waddell also went seven innings at North Carolina on May 16)
• Waddell’s eight strikeouts are the most he has thrown since striking out eight Clemson Tigers on March 15. Waddell yielded three hits, the fewest of any of his outing this year, also matching the three Harvard gained through six innings on March 1
• Mike Papi collected his first career hit in NCAA Tournament play with an RBI knock that tied the game at 1-1 in the fifth inning
• UVa pitching duo of Waddell and Kyle Crockett limited the first five batters in the Army lineup to 2-of-19 hitting (.105) and zero extra-base hits
• UVa yielded zero walks for the seventh time in 2013 and the first since Cavalier pitchers did not walk any Liberty batters on April 2 in Lynchburg.
• UVa pitchers struck out 12 Army batters, reaching double figures in strikeouts for the 17th time in 2013 and the first second game in a row (vs. FSU in ACC Tournament).• Kyle Crockett collected his 11th save of the season, which ties for No. 6 all-time at UVa for a season.
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Meyer Inks Free Agent Deal with Giants
Baseball | 6/20/2018
Virginia reliever Mack Meyer signed a minor league contract with the San Francisco Giants.
Weber Receives ABCA First Team All-Region Nod
Baseball | 6/13/2018
Junior second baseman Andy Weber earned ABCA/Rawlings First Team All-Region honors
Cavaliers Compete Collegiate Baseball Summer Leagues
Baseball | 6/12/2018
Find out where 15 current Virginia baseball players will be compete in collegiate summer leagues ...
Simmons Selected on Final Day of MLB Draft
Baseball | 6/6/2018
Junior outfielder Cameron Simmons was picked by the Texas Rangers in the 15th round of the 2018...
Abbott Earns Freshman All-America Honors
Baseball | 6/6/2018
Andrew Abbott was listed on the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper Freshman All-America Team.
Three Cavaliers Selected on Day Two of MLB Draft
Baseball | 6/5/2018
Andy Weber, Derek Casey and Bennett Sousa were selected on the second day of the 2018 MLB Draft
Pair of Cavaliers Selected on First Day of MLB Draft
Baseball | 06/04/2018
Juniors Daniel Lynch (34th overall) and Jake McCarthy (39th overall) were each selected on day...
Weber Garners All-America Honors
Baseball | 05/31/2018
Virginia second baseman Andy Weber listed on Collegiate Baseball All-America Team.
- Online Stores