May 31, 2013
ELON POST-GAME NOTES
• Elon is making its sixth NCAA Tournament appearance and now has a 4-10 all-time NCAA postseason record
• The Phoenix extended its winning streak to six games, marking its longest of the season
• Elon won its first game of a NCAA Regional for the second time in six appearances (2006)
• The Phoenix scored in 10 or more runs for the third time in 14 NCAA Tournament games (two of those games have come vs. UNCW)
• The victory marked the first time Elon has won an NCAA Tournament game when scoring 10 or more runs runs (1-2)
• The Phoenix scored at least 10 runs for the 12th time this season
• Elon had four players with two hits
• Antonio Alvarez had two doubles and now has 16 for the season (first time in his career with two doubles in a game)
• Alvarez's four RBIs were one-shy of his career high
• Wil Leathers' pinch-hit home run in the 6th inning was Elon's first pinch-hit home run since April 3, 2011
• Leathers' home run was his third of the season and the first hit in the 2013 Charlottesville Regional
• Alex Swim's triple in the 2nd inning was his team-leading sixth of the season
• Andrew MacDonald picked up the win and improved to 5-1 this season after throwing 3.1 innings of shutout relief
Blount Eager to Assume Larger RoleFootball3/21/18The job will not be handed to rising sophomore Joey Blount. He'll have to earn it. This is head coach Bronco Mendenhall's program, after all. But after spending the 2017 season as free safety Quin Blanding's understudy, Blount is the leading candidate to take over in the secondary for the University of Virginia's all-time leading tackler.'Hoos Exit With Heads Held HighWomen's Basketball3/19/18In its first trip to the NCAA tourney since 2010, 10th-seeded Virginia went 1-1 in Columbia, S.C., defeating seventh-seeded Cal and losing to second-seeded South Carolina.'Hoos Look To Take Next Step in NCAA TourneyWomen's Basketball3/18/18A win Sunday night over second-seeded South Carolina would send 10th-seeded Virginia to the NCAA tournament's Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2000.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Hurricanes Take Series Opener in Extras
Baseball | 3/24/2018
Miami produced a walk-off, bases loaded single in the bottom of the 11th inning to take the...
Virginia Travels to Miami for Weekend ACC Series
Baseball | 3/22/2018
No. 24 Virginia will begin a three-game Atlantic Coast Conference series at Miam on Friday at 7.p...
ACC Play Resumes for No. 21 Virginia
Baseball | 3/15/2018
No. 21 Virginia will play its first home ACC series this weekend when it hosts BC at Disharoon...
No. 21 Virginia Drops Series Opener to BC
Baseball | 3/16/2018
Boston College scored five of the game’s last six runs in a 6-2 series opening victory over...
Game Two Start Time Moved to 3:30 p.m.
Baseball | 3/17/2018
The first pitch of Saturday’s (March 17) ACC game against Boston College has been moved to ...
Cavaliers Even Series with Boston College
Baseball | 3/17/2018
A five-run, seventh inning and a career day from Daniel Lynch helped Virginia to even the series ...
No. 21 Virginia Clinches Series in Walk-off Fashion
Baseball | 03/18/2018
Virginia scored three runs in the bottom of the 10th inning as part of a 10-9 series-clinching...
No. 24 Virginia Hosts Towson in Midweek Series
Baseball | 03/19/2018
No. 24 Virginia will host Towson in a two-game midweek series beginning on Tuesday and concluding...
- Online Stores