2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Regional • Game 6
June 2, 2013 • 6 p.m.
Elon (34-30) vs. Virginia (50-10)
VIRGINIA POST-GAME NOTES
• Virginia’s appearance in the 2013 NCAA Regional serves as the program’s 13th all-time tournament appearance, including its 10th straight
• The Cavaliers are now 33-27 all-time in NCAA Tournament play and 27-21 under head coach Brian O’Connor
• Virginia wins its fourth NCAA Regional in program history and advances to its fourth NCAA Super Regional
• UVa sweeps its third NCAA Regional, also sweeping in 2009 (Irvine) and 2011 (Charlottesville)
• Virginia is one of three programs (Florida & Florida State) that have advanced to the NCAA Super Regional round in four of the past five seasons. Cal State Fullerton and South Carolina can join that group with regional wins this weekend
• Virginia reaches the 50-win plateau for the third time in program history. Only the 2011 club (56) and the 2010 squad (51) that have accumulated more victories
• UVa’s bullpen tossed six scoreless innings against Elon after starter Whit Mayberry allowed three runs in the first three frames
• UVa’s bullpen threw 11 scoreless innings in the Charlottesville Regional
• Of the 34 Elon batters faced, UVa pitchers recorded a first-pitch strike 26 times (76.5 percent)
• Of the 70 Elon batters UVa faced on Saturday and Sunday, Cavalier pitchers recorded 52 first-pitch strikes (74.3)
• Derek Fisher was 0-for-23 in his career in the NCAA Tournament before he rocked a two-run single to tie the game, 3-3, in the bottom of the third inning
• Fisher added another hit and RBI in the contest, as well as scoring a run
• UVa’s 7-8-9 hitters combined to hit 6-of-12 (.500) with six RBI and three runs scored, highlighted by Nick Howard’s career-high four hits
• Reliever David Rosenberger tossed a career-high five innings of relief with a career-high four strikeouts
• Rosenberger faced 15 batters and recorded first-pitch strikes 12 times and 70 percent of his pitches registered as strikes
• After recording five hits in the first three innings, UVa’s bullpen allowed three hits over the remaining six frames
• After Elon singled to lead off each of the first three innings, UVa did not allow another leadoff man for Elon to reach base until a ninth inning walk
• UVa hit 16-of-26 (.615) in offensive advancement opportunities
• Virginia drove in six of its 11 runs with two outs
ELON POST-GAME NOTES
• Elon made its sixth NCAA Tournament appearance and now has a 5-12 all-time NCAA postseason record
• The Phoenix reached an NCAA Regional final for the first time in program history
• Elon used seven pitchers in the game, most by a team in the Charlottesville Regional
• Ryan Kinsella's two-run home run in the 1st inning was his 21st of the season (ranks second nationally)
• Alex Swim went 1-for-4 and finished the regional with a team-high six hits
'Hoos Happy to Have Comforts of HomeBaseball5/31/16For the ninth time in its 13 seasons under head coach Brian O'Connor, Virginia is hosting an NCAA baseball regional.Lynch Makes Timely Return to MoundBaseball5/28/16In his first appearance since April 13, freshman Daniel Lynch retired all four batters he faced Friday in Virginia's ACC tournament loss to Wake Forest.Transfers Eager to Help Lift ProgramFootball5/26/16UVA's football team added three transfers this spring: quarterback Kurt Benkert, offensive guard Jared Cohen and defensive end Jack Powers.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: 'Hoos Happy to Enjoy Comforts of Home
Baseball | 5/31/2016
For the ninth time in its 13 seasons under head coach Brian O'Connor, Virginia is hosting an NCAA...
Brackets Announced for NCAA Charlottesville Regional
Baseball | 5/30/2016
Virginia, Bryant, East Carolina and William & Mary comprise the four-team, double-elimination...
Virginia Selected as Host Site for NCAA Regional
Baseball | 5/29/2016
The four-team, double-elimination tournament will run June 3-6 at Virginia’s Davenport Field.
Big Inning Keys UVA to 7-2 Win Over Louisville
Baseball | 5/28/2016
With his 595th career win, 13th-year head coach Brian O’Connor became the winningest coach ...
Jeff White: Lynch Makes Timely Return to Mound
Baseball | 5/28/2016
In his first appearance since April 13, Daniel Lynch retired all four batters he faced in...
No. 7 Virginia Falls 10-9 to Wake Forest
Baseball | 5/27/2016
Adam Haseley hit a pair of triples and drove in three runs as part of a three-hit day while...
No. 7 Virginia Falls to No. 12 Clemson, 5-4
Baseball | 05/26/2016
Matt Thaiss and Daniel Pinero each homered and went 2-for-3 for the Cavaliers in the narrow setback.
NCAA Regional, Super Regional Ticket Books On Sale Friday
Baseball | 05/26/2016
Potential Regional would be played June 3-6 at Davenport Field, Super Regional June 10-12 or 11-13.
- Online Stores