2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Regional • Game 6
June 2, 2013 • 6 p.m.
Elon (34-30) vs. Virginia (50-10)
VIRGINIA POST-GAME NOTES
• Virginia’s appearance in the 2013 NCAA Regional serves as the program’s 13th all-time tournament appearance, including its 10th straight
• The Cavaliers are now 33-27 all-time in NCAA Tournament play and 27-21 under head coach Brian O’Connor
• Virginia wins its fourth NCAA Regional in program history and advances to its fourth NCAA Super Regional
• UVa sweeps its third NCAA Regional, also sweeping in 2009 (Irvine) and 2011 (Charlottesville)
• Virginia is one of three programs (Florida & Florida State) that have advanced to the NCAA Super Regional round in four of the past five seasons. Cal State Fullerton and South Carolina can join that group with regional wins this weekend
• Virginia reaches the 50-win plateau for the third time in program history. Only the 2011 club (56) and the 2010 squad (51) that have accumulated more victories
• UVa’s bullpen tossed six scoreless innings against Elon after starter Whit Mayberry allowed three runs in the first three frames
• UVa’s bullpen threw 11 scoreless innings in the Charlottesville Regional
• Of the 34 Elon batters faced, UVa pitchers recorded a first-pitch strike 26 times (76.5 percent)
• Of the 70 Elon batters UVa faced on Saturday and Sunday, Cavalier pitchers recorded 52 first-pitch strikes (74.3)
• Derek Fisher was 0-for-23 in his career in the NCAA Tournament before he rocked a two-run single to tie the game, 3-3, in the bottom of the third inning
• Fisher added another hit and RBI in the contest, as well as scoring a run
• UVa’s 7-8-9 hitters combined to hit 6-of-12 (.500) with six RBI and three runs scored, highlighted by Nick Howard’s career-high four hits
• Reliever David Rosenberger tossed a career-high five innings of relief with a career-high four strikeouts
• Rosenberger faced 15 batters and recorded first-pitch strikes 12 times and 70 percent of his pitches registered as strikes
• After recording five hits in the first three innings, UVa’s bullpen allowed three hits over the remaining six frames
• After Elon singled to lead off each of the first three innings, UVa did not allow another leadoff man for Elon to reach base until a ninth inning walk
• UVa hit 16-of-26 (.615) in offensive advancement opportunities
• Virginia drove in six of its 11 runs with two outs
ELON POST-GAME NOTES
• Elon made its sixth NCAA Tournament appearance and now has a 5-12 all-time NCAA postseason record
• The Phoenix reached an NCAA Regional final for the first time in program history
• Elon used seven pitchers in the game, most by a team in the Charlottesville Regional
• Ryan Kinsella's two-run home run in the 1st inning was his 21st of the season (ranks second nationally)
• Alex Swim went 1-for-4 and finished the regional with a team-high six hits
Road Tests Await 'HoosMen's Basketball1/22/17No. 16 UVA, which beat Georgia Tech at JPJ on Saturday, is on the road Tuesday against No. 15 Notre Dame and next Sunday against No. 1 Villanova.Perseverance Paying Off for SchanyWrestling1/21/17Redshirt sophomore Will Schany is the starting 184-pounder for No. 25 Virginia, which meets No. 6 Virginia Tech at 4 p.m. Sunday in Blacksburg.Selflessness Marks Cavaliers' Latest WinMen's Basketball1/19/17In its latest road victory, a 71-54 conquest of Boston College, No. 16 Virginia recorded assists on 22 of its 27 field goals Wednesday night.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Mini-Packages and Single-Game Tickets On Sale
Baseball | 1/5/2017
Purchase Tickets | Mini-packages and single-game tickets for the 2017 Virginia Baseball season...
Haseley, Smith Named Preseason All-Americans
Baseball | 12/19/2016
Haseley was named to the second team as a utility player, while Smith joined him on the second...
Ozzie Smith Headlines 2017 Step Up to the Plate
Baseball | 11/4/2016
The 15th annual event will be held Saturday, Jan. 28, at John Paul Jones Arena.
Orange Wins Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 11/1/2016
McCarthy's 3-run home run breaks 2-2 tie and leads Orange to series-clinching win.
Blue Wins Games 5 and 6, Forces Deciding Game 7
Baseball | 10/29/2016
Blue wins Game 5, 8-7, and Game 6, 8-1, to win second series and set up a deciding Game 7 on Sunday.
Orange Claims Game 4, 8-3
Baseball | 10/24/2016
Ernie Clement hit two home runs as the Orange team earned an 8-3 win in the first game of the...
Orange Downs Blue 8-1, Takes First Series
Baseball | 10/19/2016
The Orange team clinched the first three-game series of the 2016 Orange & Blue World Series with ...
Orange Holds Off Blue in Game 1, 8-6
Baseball | 10/12/2016
Cameron Comer went 3-for-4 with three RBI for the Orange squad, while Pavin Smith and Adam...
- Online Stores