2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Regional • Game 6
June 2, 2013 • 6 p.m.
Elon (34-30) vs. Virginia (50-10)
VIRGINIA POST-GAME NOTES
• Virginia’s appearance in the 2013 NCAA Regional serves as the program’s 13th all-time tournament appearance, including its 10th straight
• The Cavaliers are now 33-27 all-time in NCAA Tournament play and 27-21 under head coach Brian O’Connor
• Virginia wins its fourth NCAA Regional in program history and advances to its fourth NCAA Super Regional
• UVa sweeps its third NCAA Regional, also sweeping in 2009 (Irvine) and 2011 (Charlottesville)
• Virginia is one of three programs (Florida & Florida State) that have advanced to the NCAA Super Regional round in four of the past five seasons. Cal State Fullerton and South Carolina can join that group with regional wins this weekend
• Virginia reaches the 50-win plateau for the third time in program history. Only the 2011 club (56) and the 2010 squad (51) that have accumulated more victories
• UVa’s bullpen tossed six scoreless innings against Elon after starter Whit Mayberry allowed three runs in the first three frames
• UVa’s bullpen threw 11 scoreless innings in the Charlottesville Regional
• Of the 34 Elon batters faced, UVa pitchers recorded a first-pitch strike 26 times (76.5 percent)
• Of the 70 Elon batters UVa faced on Saturday and Sunday, Cavalier pitchers recorded 52 first-pitch strikes (74.3)
• Derek Fisher was 0-for-23 in his career in the NCAA Tournament before he rocked a two-run single to tie the game, 3-3, in the bottom of the third inning
• Fisher added another hit and RBI in the contest, as well as scoring a run
• UVa’s 7-8-9 hitters combined to hit 6-of-12 (.500) with six RBI and three runs scored, highlighted by Nick Howard’s career-high four hits
• Reliever David Rosenberger tossed a career-high five innings of relief with a career-high four strikeouts
• Rosenberger faced 15 batters and recorded first-pitch strikes 12 times and 70 percent of his pitches registered as strikes
• After recording five hits in the first three innings, UVa’s bullpen allowed three hits over the remaining six frames
• After Elon singled to lead off each of the first three innings, UVa did not allow another leadoff man for Elon to reach base until a ninth inning walk
• UVa hit 16-of-26 (.615) in offensive advancement opportunities
• Virginia drove in six of its 11 runs with two outs
ELON POST-GAME NOTES
• Elon made its sixth NCAA Tournament appearance and now has a 5-12 all-time NCAA postseason record
• The Phoenix reached an NCAA Regional final for the first time in program history
• Elon used seven pitchers in the game, most by a team in the Charlottesville Regional
• Ryan Kinsella's two-run home run in the 1st inning was his 21st of the season (ranks second nationally)
• Alex Swim went 1-for-4 and finished the regional with a team-high six hits
Welsh Connection Adds to Bowl StorylinesFootball12/14/17Cooper Thriving Under New StaffSwimming & Diving12/12/17Hazzard Aiming to Uphold Family TraditionTrack & Field, Cross Country12/11/17
Director of News Content
Virginia Announces Inaugural Baseball Hall of Fame Class
Baseball | 12/7/2017
The 15-member Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class was unveiled today by current members of the...
2018 Baseball Season Tickets on Sale Now
Baseball | 12/4/2017
The public sale of 2018 Virginia baseball season tickets begins on Monday, Dec. 4 for the...
Inaugural Hall of Fame Class to be Inducted at 2018 Step Up ...
Baseball | 11/2/2017
The Virginia Baseball program will announce its inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class at...
Jeff White: Sousa Has Unfinished Business at UVA
Baseball | 11/3/2017
Senior left-hander Bennett Sousa, who was 3-0 with a 4.09 ERA last season, will be a key member...
Orange Wins Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 11/5/2017
For the third year in a row, Orange was crowned Orange and Blue World Series champions.
Two-Run, Two-Out Rally Lifts Orange to Game 5 Victory
Baseball | 10/31/2017
Orange took control of the second portion of the seven-game Orange and Blue World Series with a 5...
Inaugural Baseball Hall of Fame Class to be Unveiled Thursday
Baseball | 12/06/2017
The inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class will be revealed on Thursday, Dec. 7.
Blue Takes First Three-Game Series with 5-0 Win in Game 3
Baseball | 10/29/2017
The Blue team captured the first three-game series based on run differential, but the Orange...
- Online Stores