2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Regional • Game 6
June 2, 2013 • 6 p.m.
Elon (34-30) vs. Virginia (50-10)
VIRGINIA POST-GAME NOTES
• Virginia’s appearance in the 2013 NCAA Regional serves as the program’s 13th all-time tournament appearance, including its 10th straight
• The Cavaliers are now 33-27 all-time in NCAA Tournament play and 27-21 under head coach Brian O’Connor
• Virginia wins its fourth NCAA Regional in program history and advances to its fourth NCAA Super Regional
• UVa sweeps its third NCAA Regional, also sweeping in 2009 (Irvine) and 2011 (Charlottesville)
• Virginia is one of three programs (Florida & Florida State) that have advanced to the NCAA Super Regional round in four of the past five seasons. Cal State Fullerton and South Carolina can join that group with regional wins this weekend
• Virginia reaches the 50-win plateau for the third time in program history. Only the 2011 club (56) and the 2010 squad (51) that have accumulated more victories
• UVa’s bullpen tossed six scoreless innings against Elon after starter Whit Mayberry allowed three runs in the first three frames
• UVa’s bullpen threw 11 scoreless innings in the Charlottesville Regional
• Of the 34 Elon batters faced, UVa pitchers recorded a first-pitch strike 26 times (76.5 percent)
• Of the 70 Elon batters UVa faced on Saturday and Sunday, Cavalier pitchers recorded 52 first-pitch strikes (74.3)
• Derek Fisher was 0-for-23 in his career in the NCAA Tournament before he rocked a two-run single to tie the game, 3-3, in the bottom of the third inning
• Fisher added another hit and RBI in the contest, as well as scoring a run
• UVa’s 7-8-9 hitters combined to hit 6-of-12 (.500) with six RBI and three runs scored, highlighted by Nick Howard’s career-high four hits
• Reliever David Rosenberger tossed a career-high five innings of relief with a career-high four strikeouts
• Rosenberger faced 15 batters and recorded first-pitch strikes 12 times and 70 percent of his pitches registered as strikes
• After recording five hits in the first three innings, UVa’s bullpen allowed three hits over the remaining six frames
• After Elon singled to lead off each of the first three innings, UVa did not allow another leadoff man for Elon to reach base until a ninth inning walk
• UVa hit 16-of-26 (.615) in offensive advancement opportunities
• Virginia drove in six of its 11 runs with two outs
ELON POST-GAME NOTES
• Elon made its sixth NCAA Tournament appearance and now has a 5-12 all-time NCAA postseason record
• The Phoenix reached an NCAA Regional final for the first time in program history
• Elon used seven pitchers in the game, most by a team in the Charlottesville Regional
• Ryan Kinsella's two-run home run in the 1st inning was his 21st of the season (ranks second nationally)
• Alex Swim went 1-for-4 and finished the regional with a team-high six hits
Margin of Error Gone for CavaliersMen's Lacrosse4/29/16To become eligible for an NCAA men's lacrosse tournament bid, Virginia (7-7) must upset second-ranked Brown (13-1) on Saturday night.UVA Spring Football NotebookFootball4/27/16With spring practice over, Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall and his assistants have turned their focus to recruiting.Cavaliers Push On With Heavy HeartsBaseball4/25/16No. 21 Virginia, coming off an emotionally draining weekend in Coral Gables, Fla., meets ODU at noon Tuesday in Norfolk at Harbor Park.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 13 Virginia Travels to Liberty Tuesday
Baseball | 5/2/2016
Connor Jones Named ACC Pitcher of the Week
Baseball | 5/2/2016
It marks Jones' second such honor in the last four weeks. He also earned the distinction on April...
No. 21 Virginia Defeats Pitt to Sweep Series
Baseball | 5/1/2016
Adam Haseley pitched eight shutout innings as the Cavaliers recorded their first series sweep of ...
No. 21 Virginia Sweeps Doubleheader at Pitt
Baseball | 4/30/2016
Winners of three straight ACC series, Virginia goes for the three-game series sweep against the...
Q&A with Ernie Clement
Baseball | 4/30/2016
Clement talked about his team's recent run against ACC teams, his outlook on the rest of the...
No. 21 Virginia Heads to Pitt for ACC Weekend Series
Baseball | 4/29/2016
Virginia and Pitt start series at 1 p.m. Saturday with doubleheader at Charles L. Cost Field.
No. 21 Virginia Rallies to Defeat Old Dominion, 8-4
Baseball | 04/26/2016
Virginia scored eight unanswered runs while the bullpen combination of Tyler Shambora and Kevin...
Jeff White: Cavaliers Push On With Heavy Hearts
Baseball | 04/25/2016
No. 21 Virginia, coming off an emotionally draining weekend in Miami, meets ODU at noon Tuesday...
- Online Stores