2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Regional • Game 6
June 2, 2013 • 6 p.m.
Elon (34-30) vs. Virginia (50-10)
VIRGINIA POST-GAME NOTES
• Virginia’s appearance in the 2013 NCAA Regional serves as the program’s 13th all-time tournament appearance, including its 10th straight
• The Cavaliers are now 33-27 all-time in NCAA Tournament play and 27-21 under head coach Brian O’Connor
• Virginia wins its fourth NCAA Regional in program history and advances to its fourth NCAA Super Regional
• UVa sweeps its third NCAA Regional, also sweeping in 2009 (Irvine) and 2011 (Charlottesville)
• Virginia is one of three programs (Florida & Florida State) that have advanced to the NCAA Super Regional round in four of the past five seasons. Cal State Fullerton and South Carolina can join that group with regional wins this weekend
• Virginia reaches the 50-win plateau for the third time in program history. Only the 2011 club (56) and the 2010 squad (51) that have accumulated more victories
• UVa’s bullpen tossed six scoreless innings against Elon after starter Whit Mayberry allowed three runs in the first three frames
• UVa’s bullpen threw 11 scoreless innings in the Charlottesville Regional
• Of the 34 Elon batters faced, UVa pitchers recorded a first-pitch strike 26 times (76.5 percent)
• Of the 70 Elon batters UVa faced on Saturday and Sunday, Cavalier pitchers recorded 52 first-pitch strikes (74.3)
• Derek Fisher was 0-for-23 in his career in the NCAA Tournament before he rocked a two-run single to tie the game, 3-3, in the bottom of the third inning
• Fisher added another hit and RBI in the contest, as well as scoring a run
• UVa’s 7-8-9 hitters combined to hit 6-of-12 (.500) with six RBI and three runs scored, highlighted by Nick Howard’s career-high four hits
• Reliever David Rosenberger tossed a career-high five innings of relief with a career-high four strikeouts
• Rosenberger faced 15 batters and recorded first-pitch strikes 12 times and 70 percent of his pitches registered as strikes
• After recording five hits in the first three innings, UVa’s bullpen allowed three hits over the remaining six frames
• After Elon singled to lead off each of the first three innings, UVa did not allow another leadoff man for Elon to reach base until a ninth inning walk
• UVa hit 16-of-26 (.615) in offensive advancement opportunities
• Virginia drove in six of its 11 runs with two outs
ELON POST-GAME NOTES
• Elon made its sixth NCAA Tournament appearance and now has a 5-12 all-time NCAA postseason record
• The Phoenix reached an NCAA Regional final for the first time in program history
• Elon used seven pitchers in the game, most by a team in the Charlottesville Regional
• Ryan Kinsella's two-run home run in the 1st inning was his 21st of the season (ranks second nationally)
• Alex Swim went 1-for-4 and finished the regional with a team-high six hits
Williams' UVA Journey Nearing Its EndMen's Lacrosse4/26/17One game remains in the college career of attackman Zed Williams, who'll graduate from UVA next month with a bachelor's degree in drama.Afamefuna Thriving in New RoleMen's Soccer4/24/17After making the ACC's All-Freshman team as a defender last fall, Virginia's Robin Afamefuna is looking to contribute more at the attacking end this year.'Hoos Head Into Postseason on High NoteWomen's Lacrosse4/22/17In its regular-season finale, Virginia clinched the No. 3 seed in the ACC tournament with a 6-5 win over Virginia Tech at Klöckner Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia-Radford Game Cancelled
Baseball | 4/25/2017
Scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday (April 25), the game has been cancelled because of inclement weather...
No. 10 Virginia Plays Host to Radford Tuesday
Baseball | 4/24/2017
No. 11 Virginia Dominates Notre Dame, 9-0, to Win Series
Baseball | 4/22/2017
Noah Murdock and Alec Bettinger combined on a five-hit shutout as UVA picked up its third...
No. 11 Virginia Splits DH With Notre Dame
Baseball | 4/22/2017
Please note: The series finale Saturday has been moved to an 11 a.m. start time because of...
No. 11 Virginia Welcomes Notre Dame for ACC Series
Baseball | 4/20/2017
The original schedule has been altered, and the teams will play a doubleheader Friday, followed...
Schedule Altered for Virginia-Notre Dame Series
Baseball | 4/20/2017
The teams will play at doubleheader at 4 p.m. Friday. The series finale will be played at 4 p.m. ...
Lynch Dazzles as No. 11 Virginia Tops JMU, 7-2
Baseball | 04/19/2017
Lynch scattered six hits in his first career complete game as Virginia won for the 10th time in...
No. 11 Virginia Cruises Past Longwood, 13-2
Baseball | 04/18/2017
The Cavaliers limited Longwood to two hits while three UVA pitchers combined to strike out 14...
- Online Stores