2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Regional • Game 6
June 2, 2013 • 6 p.m.
Elon (34-30) vs. Virginia (50-10)
VIRGINIA POST-GAME NOTES
• Virginia’s appearance in the 2013 NCAA Regional serves as the program’s 13th all-time tournament appearance, including its 10th straight
• The Cavaliers are now 33-27 all-time in NCAA Tournament play and 27-21 under head coach Brian O’Connor
• Virginia wins its fourth NCAA Regional in program history and advances to its fourth NCAA Super Regional
• UVa sweeps its third NCAA Regional, also sweeping in 2009 (Irvine) and 2011 (Charlottesville)
• Virginia is one of three programs (Florida & Florida State) that have advanced to the NCAA Super Regional round in four of the past five seasons. Cal State Fullerton and South Carolina can join that group with regional wins this weekend
• Virginia reaches the 50-win plateau for the third time in program history. Only the 2011 club (56) and the 2010 squad (51) that have accumulated more victories
• UVa’s bullpen tossed six scoreless innings against Elon after starter Whit Mayberry allowed three runs in the first three frames
• UVa’s bullpen threw 11 scoreless innings in the Charlottesville Regional
• Of the 34 Elon batters faced, UVa pitchers recorded a first-pitch strike 26 times (76.5 percent)
• Of the 70 Elon batters UVa faced on Saturday and Sunday, Cavalier pitchers recorded 52 first-pitch strikes (74.3)
• Derek Fisher was 0-for-23 in his career in the NCAA Tournament before he rocked a two-run single to tie the game, 3-3, in the bottom of the third inning
• Fisher added another hit and RBI in the contest, as well as scoring a run
• UVa’s 7-8-9 hitters combined to hit 6-of-12 (.500) with six RBI and three runs scored, highlighted by Nick Howard’s career-high four hits
• Reliever David Rosenberger tossed a career-high five innings of relief with a career-high four strikeouts
• Rosenberger faced 15 batters and recorded first-pitch strikes 12 times and 70 percent of his pitches registered as strikes
• After recording five hits in the first three innings, UVa’s bullpen allowed three hits over the remaining six frames
• After Elon singled to lead off each of the first three innings, UVa did not allow another leadoff man for Elon to reach base until a ninth inning walk
• UVa hit 16-of-26 (.615) in offensive advancement opportunities
• Virginia drove in six of its 11 runs with two outs
ELON POST-GAME NOTES
• Elon made its sixth NCAA Tournament appearance and now has a 5-12 all-time NCAA postseason record
• The Phoenix reached an NCAA Regional final for the first time in program history
• Elon used seven pitchers in the game, most by a team in the Charlottesville Regional
• Ryan Kinsella's two-run home run in the 1st inning was his 21st of the season (ranks second nationally)
• Alex Swim went 1-for-4 and finished the regional with a team-high six hits
Summer Buildup Begins in EarnestMen's Basketball6/28/16The Virginia men's basketball team, which will travel to Spain in August, held its first practice of the summer Tuesday at JPJ.O'Leary Takes Unusual Path to OlympicsWomen's Rowing6/27/16Meghan O'Leary, who played softball and volleyball at UVA, will represent the United States in rowing at the Olympics this summer.Tiffany Plans to Push Pace at UVAMen's Lacrosse6/21/16New men's lacrosse coach Lars Tiffany comes to Virginia from Brown, which went 16-3 and led the nation in scoring this season.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Cavaliers Competing in Summer Baseball Leagues
Baseball | 6/16/2016
Members of the Virginia baseball team have fanned out from coast to coast to compete in summer...
Pinero Selected by Tigers in Ninth Round of MLB Draft
Baseball | 6/10/2016
Pinero was drafted for the third time. He was a 20th-round pick coming out of high school in 2013...
Thaiss, Jones Selected on Day One of MLB Draft
Baseball | 6/10/2016
Thaiss was a first-round selection, going No. 16 overall to the Angels. Jones was a second-round ...
Trio Named All-Americans by Baseball America
Baseball | 6/7/2016
Connor Jones and Matt Thaiss were second-team honorees, while Adam Haseley was a third-team pick.
Jeff White: Wahoos' Season Ends on Painful Note
Baseball | 6/5/2016
Defending NCAA champion Virginia lost Sunday to William & Mary at Davenport Field to finish the...
Virginia Season Ends With 5-4 Loss to W&M
Baseball | 6/5/2016
Daniel Pinero and Jack Gerstenmaier each had three hits for UVA, which finished with a dozen hits...
Jeff White: Cavaliers' Margin for Error Gone
Baseball | 06/05/2016
In the NCAA regional at Davenport Field, top-seeded Virginia meets No. 4 seed William & Mary in...
Sunday NCAA Regional Schedule Altered
Baseball | 06/04/2016
Virginia plays William & Mary at 11 a.m. Sunday, while East Carolina faces the winner at 3 p.m.
- Online Stores