2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Regional • Game 6
June 2, 2013 • 6 p.m.
Elon (34-30) vs. Virginia (50-10)
VIRGINIA POST-GAME NOTES
• Virginia’s appearance in the 2013 NCAA Regional serves as the program’s 13th all-time tournament appearance, including its 10th straight
• The Cavaliers are now 33-27 all-time in NCAA Tournament play and 27-21 under head coach Brian O’Connor
• Virginia wins its fourth NCAA Regional in program history and advances to its fourth NCAA Super Regional
• UVa sweeps its third NCAA Regional, also sweeping in 2009 (Irvine) and 2011 (Charlottesville)
• Virginia is one of three programs (Florida & Florida State) that have advanced to the NCAA Super Regional round in four of the past five seasons. Cal State Fullerton and South Carolina can join that group with regional wins this weekend
• Virginia reaches the 50-win plateau for the third time in program history. Only the 2011 club (56) and the 2010 squad (51) that have accumulated more victories
• UVa’s bullpen tossed six scoreless innings against Elon after starter Whit Mayberry allowed three runs in the first three frames
• UVa’s bullpen threw 11 scoreless innings in the Charlottesville Regional
• Of the 34 Elon batters faced, UVa pitchers recorded a first-pitch strike 26 times (76.5 percent)
• Of the 70 Elon batters UVa faced on Saturday and Sunday, Cavalier pitchers recorded 52 first-pitch strikes (74.3)
• Derek Fisher was 0-for-23 in his career in the NCAA Tournament before he rocked a two-run single to tie the game, 3-3, in the bottom of the third inning
• Fisher added another hit and RBI in the contest, as well as scoring a run
• UVa’s 7-8-9 hitters combined to hit 6-of-12 (.500) with six RBI and three runs scored, highlighted by Nick Howard’s career-high four hits
• Reliever David Rosenberger tossed a career-high five innings of relief with a career-high four strikeouts
• Rosenberger faced 15 batters and recorded first-pitch strikes 12 times and 70 percent of his pitches registered as strikes
• After recording five hits in the first three innings, UVa’s bullpen allowed three hits over the remaining six frames
• After Elon singled to lead off each of the first three innings, UVa did not allow another leadoff man for Elon to reach base until a ninth inning walk
• UVa hit 16-of-26 (.615) in offensive advancement opportunities
• Virginia drove in six of its 11 runs with two outs
ELON POST-GAME NOTES
• Elon made its sixth NCAA Tournament appearance and now has a 5-12 all-time NCAA postseason record
• The Phoenix reached an NCAA Regional final for the first time in program history
• Elon used seven pitchers in the game, most by a team in the Charlottesville Regional
• Ryan Kinsella's two-run home run in the 1st inning was his 21st of the season (ranks second nationally)
• Alex Swim went 1-for-4 and finished the regional with a team-high six hits
Cavaliers Celebrate Special Win at JPJMen's Basketball2/28/17One regular-season game remains for No. 23 Virginia, which hosts Pitt at noon Saturday at JPJ. UVA upsetNo. 5 North Carolina 53-43 on Monday night.Cavaliers Shift Focus to ACC TourneyWomen's Basketball2/27/17In the ACC tournament, No. 8 Virginia, which has a first-round bye, meets No. 9 seed Wake Forest at 2 p.m. Thursday in Conway, S.C.Short-Handed 'Hoos Rediscover Shooting TouchMen's Basketball2/25/17No. 18 Virginia, which hosts No. 8 North Carolina at 7 p.m. Monday, ended a four-game losing streak Saturday with a victory at NC State.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Tuesday UVA-William & Mary Game Moved to 2:30 p.m.
Baseball | 2/28/2017
The Tuesday Virginia-W&M game has been moved to a 2:30 p.m. start time because of a forecast for ...
No. 12 Virginia Plays Host to William & Mary Tuesday
Baseball | 2/27/2017
No. 12 Virginia entertains William & Mary at 3 p.m. Tuesday (Feb. 28) at Davenport Field.
No. 13 UVA Blows Past Rutgers, 18-2, to Sweep Series
Baseball | 2/26/2017
VSTV Highlights | Virginia (7-0) swept the three-game series, outscoring the Scarlet Knights 37...
No. 13 Virginia Rolls Past Rutgers, 12-4
Baseball | 2/25/2017
In scoring at least seven runs for the sixth straight game, Virginia piled up a season-high 15 hits.
Haseley, Coman Power UVA to 7-3 Win Over Rutgers
Baseball | 2/24/2017
Haseley and Coman became the first Virginia duo to hit two homers in the same game since 2001.
Saturday UVA-Rutgers Game Moved to 3 p.m. Start Time
Baseball | 2/25/2017
The start time has been moved to 3 p.m. because of a forecast for inclement weather.
Virginia Takes on Rutgers This Weekend at Davenport Field
Baseball | 02/23/2017
The teams open the series at 4 p.m. Friday and also play at 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Upcoming Pair of Friday Games Moved to 4 p.m. Start Times
Baseball | 02/23/2017
The start times for the next two Friday games have been moved to 4 p.m. UVA faces Rutgers Friday ...
- Online Stores