OMAHA, Neb. - The top-seeded Virginia baseball team takes on fourth-seeded South Carolina at 7 p.m. Tuesday (ET) in a winners' bracket matchup at the College World Series. ESPN will televise the game from TD Ameritrade Park Omaha, with Mike Patrick, Orel Hershiser and Kyle Peterson on the call.
WINA 1070-AM will have the local radio call, and the game also can be heard online at VirginiaSports.com (subscription service). Sirius/XM Radio will carry the national satellite radio broadcast on Channel 91.
Will Roberts (Jr., Richmond, Va.) will make the start for Virginia. Roberts (11-1, 1.57 ERA) will be opposed by South Carolina RHP Colby Holmes (7-3, 3.78 ERA).
Virginia in the NCAA Baseball Championship
- Counting this year, Virginia has competed in each of the last eight NCAA tournaments and 11 overall.
- UVa is 28-23 all-time in the NCAA tournament, including 2-2 in the CWS.
- Under Brian O’Connor (since 2004), UVa is 22-17 in the NCAAs.
Virginia-South Carolina History
- UVa is 27-35 all-time against South Carolina, a former ACC rival until the early 1970s.
- The teams last met in 2006 in the NCAA Charlottesville Regional, with the Gamecocks prevailing, 8-2. Prior to that, the programs had not played since 1987.
- South Carolina has won eight straight games in the series. UVa’s last win over the Gamecocks came on March 11, 1978, a 4-1 win in Columbia.
Common Opponents on Opposing Schedules
- While UVa and USC have not yet played this year, they share a pair of common opponents from the regular season.
- Both teams played Clemson and Auburn.
- UVa swept a three-game series at Clemson (March 11-13) and won 13-2 at Auburn.
- USC won two-of-three against Clemson (March 4, 6, 8) and took all four of its games against Auburn.
Virginia Notes from Win vs. California
- Virginia increases its program season wins record to 55.
- Branden Kline tied the UVa and ACC record with his 18th save on the season.
- Chris Taylor’s single in the third inning extended his team-best active hitting streak to 12 games.
- Danny Hultzen struck out six batters to increase his UVa season record to 157 and his UVa career record to 387.
- RHP Tyler Wilson’s appearance out of the bullpen was his fourth career CWS appearance and he has appeared in all four of UVa’s all-time CWS games.
- Keith Werman was two for his last 20 before his single to start the seventh inning.
- With two singles Werman had his first multiple-hit game since May 14 against Miami.
- Jared King’s RBI triple in the bottom of the eighth inning was the second of his career and season. King’s last triple came at Virginia Tech on April 1.
- Virginia owns the most wins in the CWS field, a school-record 55.
- Brian O'Connor coached his 500th career game on Sunday.
- UVa scored 33 of its 42 runs in the NCAA regional and super regional with two outs, but all of its runs Sunday came with one out.
- UVa will play its 66th game Tuesday - most ever in one season at Virginia.
- Keith Werman is now 8-for-12 with four RBI in four career CWS games.
- Opponents are batting .212 against UVa pitching this season, including .204 vs. Tuesday starter Will Roberts.
Welsh Connection Adds to Bowl StorylinesFootball12/14/17Virginia (6-6) meets Navy (6-6) in the Military Bowl, Dec. 28 in Annapolis, Md. George Welsh is a former head coach of each team.Cooper Thriving Under New StaffSwimming & Diving12/12/17A senior from Atlanta and one of the team's captains, Caitlin Cooper set the UVA women's record in the 50-yard freestyle early this month in Athens, Georgia.Hazzard Aiming to Uphold Family TraditionTrack & Field, Cross Country12/11/17A freshman from Long Island, New York, Halle Hazzard is the younger sister of Payton Hazzard, who was an All-America sprinter for the Cavaliers.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Announces Inaugural Baseball Hall of Fame Class
Baseball | 12/7/2017
The 15-member Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class was unveiled today by current members of the...
2018 Baseball Season Tickets on Sale Now
Baseball | 12/4/2017
The public sale of 2018 Virginia baseball season tickets begins on Monday, Dec. 4 for the...
Inaugural Hall of Fame Class to be Inducted at 2018 Step Up ...
Baseball | 11/2/2017
The Virginia Baseball program will announce its inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class at...
Jeff White: Sousa Has Unfinished Business at UVA
Baseball | 11/3/2017
Senior left-hander Bennett Sousa, who was 3-0 with a 4.09 ERA last season, will be a key member...
Orange Wins Orange & Blue World Series
Baseball | 11/5/2017
For the third year in a row, Orange was crowned Orange and Blue World Series champions.
Two-Run, Two-Out Rally Lifts Orange to Game 5 Victory
Baseball | 10/31/2017
Orange took control of the second portion of the seven-game Orange and Blue World Series with a 5...
Inaugural Baseball Hall of Fame Class to be Unveiled Thursday
Baseball | 12/06/2017
The inaugural Virginia Baseball Hall of Fame class will be revealed on Thursday, Dec. 7.
Blue Takes First Three-Game Series with 5-0 Win in Game 3
Baseball | 10/29/2017
The Blue team captured the first three-game series based on run differential, but the Orange...
- Online Stores