OMAHA, Neb. - The top-seeded Virginia baseball team takes on fourth-seeded South Carolina at 7 p.m. Tuesday (ET) in a winners' bracket matchup at the College World Series. ESPN will televise the game from TD Ameritrade Park Omaha, with Mike Patrick, Orel Hershiser and Kyle Peterson on the call.
WINA 1070-AM will have the local radio call, and the game also can be heard online at VirginiaSports.com (subscription service). Sirius/XM Radio will carry the national satellite radio broadcast on Channel 91.
Will Roberts (Jr., Richmond, Va.) will make the start for Virginia. Roberts (11-1, 1.57 ERA) will be opposed by South Carolina RHP Colby Holmes (7-3, 3.78 ERA).
Virginia in the NCAA Baseball Championship
- Counting this year, Virginia has competed in each of the last eight NCAA tournaments and 11 overall.
- UVa is 28-23 all-time in the NCAA tournament, including 2-2 in the CWS.
- Under Brian O’Connor (since 2004), UVa is 22-17 in the NCAAs.
Virginia-South Carolina History
- UVa is 27-35 all-time against South Carolina, a former ACC rival until the early 1970s.
- The teams last met in 2006 in the NCAA Charlottesville Regional, with the Gamecocks prevailing, 8-2. Prior to that, the programs had not played since 1987.
- South Carolina has won eight straight games in the series. UVa’s last win over the Gamecocks came on March 11, 1978, a 4-1 win in Columbia.
Common Opponents on Opposing Schedules
- While UVa and USC have not yet played this year, they share a pair of common opponents from the regular season.
- Both teams played Clemson and Auburn.
- UVa swept a three-game series at Clemson (March 11-13) and won 13-2 at Auburn.
- USC won two-of-three against Clemson (March 4, 6, 8) and took all four of its games against Auburn.
Virginia Notes from Win vs. California
- Virginia increases its program season wins record to 55.
- Branden Kline tied the UVa and ACC record with his 18th save on the season.
- Chris Taylor’s single in the third inning extended his team-best active hitting streak to 12 games.
- Danny Hultzen struck out six batters to increase his UVa season record to 157 and his UVa career record to 387.
- RHP Tyler Wilson’s appearance out of the bullpen was his fourth career CWS appearance and he has appeared in all four of UVa’s all-time CWS games.
- Keith Werman was two for his last 20 before his single to start the seventh inning.
- With two singles Werman had his first multiple-hit game since May 14 against Miami.
- Jared King’s RBI triple in the bottom of the eighth inning was the second of his career and season. King’s last triple came at Virginia Tech on April 1.
- Virginia owns the most wins in the CWS field, a school-record 55.
- Brian O'Connor coached his 500th career game on Sunday.
- UVa scored 33 of its 42 runs in the NCAA regional and super regional with two outs, but all of its runs Sunday came with one out.
- UVa will play its 66th game Tuesday - most ever in one season at Virginia.
- Keith Werman is now 8-for-12 with four RBI in four career CWS games.
- Opponents are batting .212 against UVa pitching this season, including .204 vs. Tuesday starter Will Roberts.
No. 1 'Hoos Ready to Roll in CharlotteMen's Basketball3/15/18At approximately 9:20 p.m. Friday, in a South Region game, No. 1 seed UVA (31-2) meets No. 16 seed UMBC (24-10) in the NCAA tournament's first round.'Hoos Ecstatic To Be Dancing AgainWomen's Basketball3/13/18In its first NCAA appearance since 2010, Virginia (18-13) will meet California (21-10) in the first round Friday at 5 p.m. in Columbia, S.C.ACC Champions Shift Focus to NCAA TourneyMen's Basketball3/12/18The No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA tournament, Virginia (31-2) opens Friday night against UMBC (24-10) in Charlotte, N.C. UMBC is the South Region's No. 16 seed.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 21 Virginia Drops Series Opener to BC
Baseball | 3/16/2018
Boston College scored five of the game’s last six runs in a 6-2 series opening victory over...
ACC Play Resumes for No. 21 Virginia
Baseball | 3/15/2018
No. 21 Virginia will play its first home ACC series this weekend when it hosts BC at Disharoon...
No. 21 Virginia Walks Off Against JMU
Baseball | 3/14/2018
Tanner Morris delivered a bases loaded sacrifice fly in the bottom of the ninth inning in a 3-2...
No. 21 Virginia Hosts JMU on Wednesday
Baseball | 3/13/2018
No. 21 Virginia will begin a five-game home stand on Wednesday when it welcomes JMU to Disharoon ...
No. 19 Virginia Splits Saturday Doubleheader at Duke
Baseball | 3/10/2018
A standout pitching performance by Daniel Lynch helped No. 19 Virginia to a 3-0 victory over Duke...
Duke Captures Series Opener, 6-3
Baseball | 3/9/2018
Duke scored the game's final three runs to take game one of a three-game ACC series, 6-3 against ...
No. 19 Virginia Opens ACC Play at Duke
Baseball | 03/08/2018
No. 19 Virginia will begin ACC play this weekend with a three-game series at Duke.
McCarthy Sidelined With Wrist Injury
Baseball | 03/08/2018
Virginia centerfielder Jake McCarthy suffered a left wrist injury in Tuesday's game against...
- Online Stores