OMAHA, Neb. - The top-seeded Virginia baseball team takes on fourth-seeded South Carolina at 7 p.m. Tuesday (ET) in a winners' bracket matchup at the College World Series. ESPN will televise the game from TD Ameritrade Park Omaha, with Mike Patrick, Orel Hershiser and Kyle Peterson on the call.
WINA 1070-AM will have the local radio call, and the game also can be heard online at VirginiaSports.com (subscription service). Sirius/XM Radio will carry the national satellite radio broadcast on Channel 91.
Will Roberts (Jr., Richmond, Va.) will make the start for Virginia. Roberts (11-1, 1.57 ERA) will be opposed by South Carolina RHP Colby Holmes (7-3, 3.78 ERA).
Virginia in the NCAA Baseball Championship
- Counting this year, Virginia has competed in each of the last eight NCAA tournaments and 11 overall.
- UVa is 28-23 all-time in the NCAA tournament, including 2-2 in the CWS.
- Under Brian O’Connor (since 2004), UVa is 22-17 in the NCAAs.
Virginia-South Carolina History
- UVa is 27-35 all-time against South Carolina, a former ACC rival until the early 1970s.
- The teams last met in 2006 in the NCAA Charlottesville Regional, with the Gamecocks prevailing, 8-2. Prior to that, the programs had not played since 1987.
- South Carolina has won eight straight games in the series. UVa’s last win over the Gamecocks came on March 11, 1978, a 4-1 win in Columbia.
Common Opponents on Opposing Schedules
- While UVa and USC have not yet played this year, they share a pair of common opponents from the regular season.
- Both teams played Clemson and Auburn.
- UVa swept a three-game series at Clemson (March 11-13) and won 13-2 at Auburn.
- USC won two-of-three against Clemson (March 4, 6, 8) and took all four of its games against Auburn.
Virginia Notes from Win vs. California
- Virginia increases its program season wins record to 55.
- Branden Kline tied the UVa and ACC record with his 18th save on the season.
- Chris Taylor’s single in the third inning extended his team-best active hitting streak to 12 games.
- Danny Hultzen struck out six batters to increase his UVa season record to 157 and his UVa career record to 387.
- RHP Tyler Wilson’s appearance out of the bullpen was his fourth career CWS appearance and he has appeared in all four of UVa’s all-time CWS games.
- Keith Werman was two for his last 20 before his single to start the seventh inning.
- With two singles Werman had his first multiple-hit game since May 14 against Miami.
- Jared King’s RBI triple in the bottom of the eighth inning was the second of his career and season. King’s last triple came at Virginia Tech on April 1.
- Virginia owns the most wins in the CWS field, a school-record 55.
- Brian O'Connor coached his 500th career game on Sunday.
- UVa scored 33 of its 42 runs in the NCAA regional and super regional with two outs, but all of its runs Sunday came with one out.
- UVa will play its 66th game Tuesday - most ever in one season at Virginia.
- Keith Werman is now 8-for-12 with four RBI in four career CWS games.
- Opponents are batting .212 against UVa pitching this season, including .204 vs. Tuesday starter Will Roberts.
Weekend Notebook: Perrantes Hits HomestretchMen's Basketball2/24/17For point guard London Perrantes, the final regular-season road game of his UVA basketball career is Saturday afternoon at NC State.Casey's Return Buoys CavaliersBaseball2/22/17Derek Casey, who missed the 2016 season while recovering from Tommy John surgery, pitched five strong innings in No. 14 Virginia's home opener.Perrantes Searching for AnswersMen's Basketball2/21/17Senior point guard London Perrantes has made only 16 of 58 shots (27.6 percent) from the floor in his past four games, all Virginia losses.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Haseley, Coman Power UVA to 7-3 Win Over Rutgers
Baseball | 2/24/2017
Haseley and Coman became the first Virginia duo to hit two homers in the same game since 2001.
Saturday UVA-Rutgers Game Moved to 3 p.m. Start Time
Baseball | 2/25/2017
The start time has been moved to 3 p.m. because of a forecast for inclement weather.
Virginia Takes on Rutgers This Weekend at Davenport Field
Baseball | 2/23/2017
The teams open the series at 4 p.m. Friday and also play at 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Upcoming Pair of Friday Games Moved to 4 p.m. Start Times
Baseball | 2/23/2017
The start times for the next two Friday games have been moved to 4 p.m. UVA faces Rutgers Friday ...
Jeff White: Casey's Return Buoys Cavaliers
Baseball | 2/22/2017
Derek Casey, who missed last season while recovering from Tommy John surgery, pitched five strong...
No. 13 Virginia Rallies to Top VMI, 9-7
Baseball | 2/21/2017
UVA head coach Brian O’Connor recorded his 600th career win, becoming the second fastest in...
No. 14 Virginia Opens Home Slate Tuesday vs. VMI
Baseball | 02/20/2017
Live Audio (Free) | The home opener marks the start of a nine-game homestand for the Cavaliers.
No. 16 UVA Chalks Up 9-6 Comeback Win Over Kansas
Baseball | 02/19/2017
Virginia scored nine unanswered runs in the last three innings to finish its season-opening...
- Online Stores