OMAHA, Neb. - The top-seeded Virginia baseball team takes on fourth-seeded South Carolina at 7 p.m. Tuesday (ET) in a winners' bracket matchup at the College World Series. ESPN will televise the game from TD Ameritrade Park Omaha, with Mike Patrick, Orel Hershiser and Kyle Peterson on the call.
WINA 1070-AM will have the local radio call, and the game also can be heard online at VirginiaSports.com (subscription service). Sirius/XM Radio will carry the national satellite radio broadcast on Channel 91.
Will Roberts (Jr., Richmond, Va.) will make the start for Virginia. Roberts (11-1, 1.57 ERA) will be opposed by South Carolina RHP Colby Holmes (7-3, 3.78 ERA).
Virginia in the NCAA Baseball Championship
- Counting this year, Virginia has competed in each of the last eight NCAA tournaments and 11 overall.
- UVa is 28-23 all-time in the NCAA tournament, including 2-2 in the CWS.
- Under Brian O’Connor (since 2004), UVa is 22-17 in the NCAAs.
Virginia-South Carolina History
- UVa is 27-35 all-time against South Carolina, a former ACC rival until the early 1970s.
- The teams last met in 2006 in the NCAA Charlottesville Regional, with the Gamecocks prevailing, 8-2. Prior to that, the programs had not played since 1987.
- South Carolina has won eight straight games in the series. UVa’s last win over the Gamecocks came on March 11, 1978, a 4-1 win in Columbia.
Common Opponents on Opposing Schedules
- While UVa and USC have not yet played this year, they share a pair of common opponents from the regular season.
- Both teams played Clemson and Auburn.
- UVa swept a three-game series at Clemson (March 11-13) and won 13-2 at Auburn.
- USC won two-of-three against Clemson (March 4, 6, 8) and took all four of its games against Auburn.
Virginia Notes from Win vs. California
- Virginia increases its program season wins record to 55.
- Branden Kline tied the UVa and ACC record with his 18th save on the season.
- Chris Taylor’s single in the third inning extended his team-best active hitting streak to 12 games.
- Danny Hultzen struck out six batters to increase his UVa season record to 157 and his UVa career record to 387.
- RHP Tyler Wilson’s appearance out of the bullpen was his fourth career CWS appearance and he has appeared in all four of UVa’s all-time CWS games.
- Keith Werman was two for his last 20 before his single to start the seventh inning.
- With two singles Werman had his first multiple-hit game since May 14 against Miami.
- Jared King’s RBI triple in the bottom of the eighth inning was the second of his career and season. King’s last triple came at Virginia Tech on April 1.
- Virginia owns the most wins in the CWS field, a school-record 55.
- Brian O'Connor coached his 500th career game on Sunday.
- UVa scored 33 of its 42 runs in the NCAA regional and super regional with two outs, but all of its runs Sunday came with one out.
- UVa will play its 66th game Tuesday - most ever in one season at Virginia.
- Keith Werman is now 8-for-12 with four RBI in four career CWS games.
- Opponents are batting .212 against UVa pitching this season, including .204 vs. Tuesday starter Will Roberts.
Mueller Shining for Surging CavaliersWomen's Lacrosse3/29/17Freshman midfielder Sammy Mueller is the second-leading scorer for No. 15 Virginia, which hosts Oregon on Wednesday night at Klöckner Stadium.Cook Ready To Make Up For Lost TimeFootball3/27/17After missing last season with a heart condition, UVA outside linebacker Malcolm Cook has been cleared to play again.Offensive Line Looking to Raise Its GameFootball3/24/17Guard Jack McDonald and tackle Jack English are the returning starters on the offensive line for Virginia, which starts spring practice Tuesday.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 16 Virginia Heads to VCU for 7 p.m. Wednesday Game
Baseball | 3/28/2017
Virginia-VCU Game Moved to Wednesday Night
Baseball | 3/27/2017
The Tuesday game between Virginia and VCU at The Diamond in Richmond has been rescheduled for 7 p...
No. 16 Virginia Tops Duke, 13-6, to Win Series
Baseball | 3/26/2017
After absorbing a big loss in the series opener Friday, the Cavaliers rebounded for 26 runs and...
No. 16 Virginia Powers Past Duke, 13-6
Baseball | 3/25/2017
The Cavaliers evened the series at a game apiece, with the rubber game slated for 1 p.m. Sunday.
No. 16 Virginia Drops Opener to Duke
Baseball | 3/24/2017
Virginia fell to 17-6 on the year, including a 2-5 mark in ACC play, with the loss.
No. 16 UVA Welcomes Duke for Three-Game Series
Baseball | 3/23/2017
Game 1 is slated for 4 p.m. Friday, with 1 p.m. contests on Saturday and Sunday to follow.
Jeff White: Weber Hitting Right Notes on Diamond
Baseball | 03/23/2017
Sophomore Andy Weber starts at second base for No. 16 Virginia, which hosts ACC rival Duke this...
No. 16 Virginia Baseball Topples Towson, 8-4
Baseball | 03/22/2017
Eight Virginia pitchers combined to limit Towson to two hits in the win as the Cavaliers improved...
- Online Stores