OMAHA, Neb. - The top-seeded Virginia baseball team takes on fourth-seeded South Carolina at 7 p.m. Tuesday (ET) in a winners' bracket matchup at the College World Series. ESPN will televise the game from TD Ameritrade Park Omaha, with Mike Patrick, Orel Hershiser and Kyle Peterson on the call.
WINA 1070-AM will have the local radio call, and the game also can be heard online at VirginiaSports.com (subscription service). Sirius/XM Radio will carry the national satellite radio broadcast on Channel 91.
Will Roberts (Jr., Richmond, Va.) will make the start for Virginia. Roberts (11-1, 1.57 ERA) will be opposed by South Carolina RHP Colby Holmes (7-3, 3.78 ERA).
Virginia in the NCAA Baseball Championship
- Counting this year, Virginia has competed in each of the last eight NCAA tournaments and 11 overall.
- UVa is 28-23 all-time in the NCAA tournament, including 2-2 in the CWS.
- Under Brian O’Connor (since 2004), UVa is 22-17 in the NCAAs.
Virginia-South Carolina History
- UVa is 27-35 all-time against South Carolina, a former ACC rival until the early 1970s.
- The teams last met in 2006 in the NCAA Charlottesville Regional, with the Gamecocks prevailing, 8-2. Prior to that, the programs had not played since 1987.
- South Carolina has won eight straight games in the series. UVa’s last win over the Gamecocks came on March 11, 1978, a 4-1 win in Columbia.
Common Opponents on Opposing Schedules
- While UVa and USC have not yet played this year, they share a pair of common opponents from the regular season.
- Both teams played Clemson and Auburn.
- UVa swept a three-game series at Clemson (March 11-13) and won 13-2 at Auburn.
- USC won two-of-three against Clemson (March 4, 6, 8) and took all four of its games against Auburn.
Virginia Notes from Win vs. California
- Virginia increases its program season wins record to 55.
- Branden Kline tied the UVa and ACC record with his 18th save on the season.
- Chris Taylor’s single in the third inning extended his team-best active hitting streak to 12 games.
- Danny Hultzen struck out six batters to increase his UVa season record to 157 and his UVa career record to 387.
- RHP Tyler Wilson’s appearance out of the bullpen was his fourth career CWS appearance and he has appeared in all four of UVa’s all-time CWS games.
- Keith Werman was two for his last 20 before his single to start the seventh inning.
- With two singles Werman had his first multiple-hit game since May 14 against Miami.
- Jared King’s RBI triple in the bottom of the eighth inning was the second of his career and season. King’s last triple came at Virginia Tech on April 1.
- Virginia owns the most wins in the CWS field, a school-record 55.
- Brian O'Connor coached his 500th career game on Sunday.
- UVa scored 33 of its 42 runs in the NCAA regional and super regional with two outs, but all of its runs Sunday came with one out.
- UVa will play its 66th game Tuesday - most ever in one season at Virginia.
- Keith Werman is now 8-for-12 with four RBI in four career CWS games.
- Opponents are batting .212 against UVa pitching this season, including .204 vs. Tuesday starter Will Roberts.
Johnson Eager to Make Mark as CavalierMen's Basketball8/23/17The addition of graduate student Nigel Johnson, who averaged 11.3 points for Rutgers last season, strengthens UVA's backcourt.New Coaches Welcomed Into Cavaliers' FoldWomen's Rowing8/18/17Virginia's rowing team heads into 2017-18 with two new coaches: associate head coach Emily Ford and assistant Erin Neppel.Nelson Making Name for Himself in SecondaryFootball8/16/17Redshirt freshman Brenton Nelson, who was put on scholarship this month, is competing for a starting job in Virginia's nickel defense.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Cavaliers in the Pros: August Update
Baseball | 8/22/2017
Five former Cavaliers are currently playing on first-place teams as MLB heads toward final month ...
Virginia's Summer Baseball Wrapup
Baseball | 8/16/2017
Rising junior Daniel Lynch had a breakout summer while playing for the Orleans Firebirds and was ...
Jeff White: UVA Greats Enjoying Reunion in D.C.
Baseball | 7/28/2017
Ryan Zimmerman and Sean Doolittle, who were teammates at UVA in 2005, now play together on the...
Cavaliers in the Pros: All-Star Break Update
Baseball | 7/12/2017
For the third straight season, 11 former Virginia baseball players have seen time at the Major...
Summer Baseball Update
Baseball | 7/11/2017
Virginia's Bobby Nicholson (NECBL) and Grant Donahue (PGCBL) each were named their respective...
Three Cavaliers Named to All-ACC Academic Team
Baseball | 6/29/2017
Robbie Coman, Tommy Doyle and Chesdin Harrington each were named to the all-academic team for the...
Cavaliers Competing in Summer Baseball Leagues
Baseball | 06/15/2017
The Cavaliers have spread out across the country to play in wood-bat summer leagues as they...
Haseley, Doyle Earn All-America Honors
Baseball | 06/15/2017
Adam Haseley and Tommy Doyle each earned All-America honors from the NBCWA.
- Online Stores