• Four-year letterwinner from 2014-17 for head coach Greg Maynard at Albemarle High School from 2014-17
• Named 2016-17 Virginia 5A State Player of the Year after averaging 21 points and 10 rebounds
• Earned first team All-State, All-Region, All-Conference and All-District honors during his sophomore, junior and senior seasons
• Finished high school career as Albemarle's all-time leading scorer (1,898) and rebounder (991)
• Helped Albemarle reach the Virginia state high school semifinals in 2016 and 2017
• Averaged 14.8 points and 8.7 rebounds as a junior in 2015-16
• Led Albemarle to a 90-27 record as a four-year starter and three-time captain
• Four-time Albemarle team MVP
• Three-time Conference 16 Player of the Year
• First freshman to start a game in Albemarle High School boys basketball history
• Austin Dirk Katstra
• Born in Charlottesville, Va.
• Parents are Dirk and Michelle Katstra
• Has one brother, Ryan, and one sister, Ryleigh
• Father, Dirk, played basketball for UVA from 1988-91
• Grandfather, Richard Katstra, played basketball for UVA from 1962-64
• Member of math, science, history and English National Honor societies
• Enjoys fantasy football, hanging out with friends, the beach, traveling and video games
• Chose Virginia because of his love for the school and to fulfill a lifelong dream of playing at UVA
• Career goals are to work in counter terrorism
• Volunteers with Neighbor-4-Neighbors food drive and Blue Ridge Area Food Bank, works high school basketball camps and assists with church picnics
• Also recruited by American, Belmont, Cornell, James Madison, Ohio and Princeton
• Intends to major in public policy
'Hoos Rue Missed OpportunityFootball11/18/17On an afternoon when Kurt Benkert threw four touchdown passes, Virginia twice built 14-point leads before falling 44-28 to No. 2 Miami at Hard Rock Stadium.Cavalier Football Notebook -- Miami WeekFootball11/16/17Two regular-season games remain for Virginia (6-4 overall, 3-3 ACC), which plays No. 2 Miami (9-0, 6-0) at noon Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium.Torres Makes Most of Learning OpportunityWomen's Soccer11/15/17Freshman Taryn Torres has scored a team-high eight goals for Virginia, which meets Pepperdine in the NCAA tourney's second round Friday night in Los Angeles.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Entertains Monmouth on Sunday
M. Basketball | 11/18/2017
Virginia (3-0) hosts Monmouth (2-1) in men’s basketball non-conference action on Sunday (No...
Guy's 29 lead Virginia past VCU, 76-67
M. Basketball | 11/17/2017
Kyle Guy scored 29 points and hit two 3-pointers in the final three minutes Friday, leading...
Virginia Plays at VCU Friday
M. Basketball | 11/16/2017
Virginia meets VCU for the first time since posting a 74-57 win over the Rams during the 2014-15 ...
Jeff White: Redshirt Freshmen Impress in Emphatic Win
M. Basketball | 11/14/2017
Jay Huff and De'Andre Hunter combined for 29 points Monday night in Virginia's 93-49 victory over...
Huff Shines in Debut as Virginia Rolls Austin Peay, 93-49
M. Basketball | 11/13/2017
Four players scored in double-figures for Virginia as the Cavaliers defeated Austin Peay 93-49 on...
Virginia Hosts Austin Peay on Monday Night
M. Basketball | 11/12/2017
Virginia (1-0) hosts Austin Peay (0-1) in men’s basketball non-conference action on Monday ...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Grind Out Win in Opener
M. Basketball | 11/10/2017
For the second straight year, UVA opened the season with a win over UNC Greensboro. This one was ...
Guy's 16 leads Virginia past UNCG in opener, 60-48
M. Basketball | 11/10/2017
Sophomore Kyle Guy scored 16 points to lead Virginia men's basketball to a 60-48 win over UNCG to...
- Online Stores