No. 5 UVA 76, No. 12 UNCW 71
No. 5 UVA 76, No. 12 UNCW 71
London Perrantes scores 16 points to lead the Virginia offense
Pitt 88, No. 11 Virginia 76 OT
NCAA Tournament First Round 3/16/2017
Tony Bennett and the Cavaliers prepare for the NCAA tournament in Orlando, Fla.
USATSI Gallery - Pittsburgh @ No. 23 Virginia
USATSI Gallery - No. 12 Virginia @ No. 14 Notre Dame
The Cavaliers defeat Boston College, on January 18, 2017.
• Appeared in 70 games at UVA, including 25 starts
• Made game-winning 3-pointer as time expired to cap off comeback win against Wake Forest (1/26/16)
• Transferred to Virginia from Tennessee after averaging 2.6 points, 2.0 rebounds and 2.4 assists at for the Volunteers in 2013-14
• Played 33 games, including 13 starts
• Averaged 6.2 points, 2.15 assists and 1.6 rebounds
• Shot 44.8 percent from the field, 35.1 percent from 3-point range and 60.5 percent from the free-throw line
• Sat out game at NC State (2/25/17) because of illness
• Scored 10+ points in nine games
• Matched a school record with eight consecutive 3-pointers during seven-game stretch dating back to last season (Feb. 22-Nov. 11, 2016)
• Recorded 12 points on 4-6 shooting, including a career-high three 3-pointers, at UNCG (11/11/16)
• Matched a career best with six rebounds vs. St. Francis Brooklyn (11/15/16)
• Tallied 12 points and four rebounds in 12 minutes vs. Grambling State
• Had 10 points vs. Iowa (11/25/16) and 11 points vs. Providence (11/26/16)
• Recorded three blocked shots vs. Ohio State (11/30/16)
• Scored 14 points, including three 3-pointers, in season-high 32 minutes played vs. West Virginia (12/3/16)
• Registered six assists vs. East Carolina (12/6/16)
• Scored 11 points at Pitt (1/4/17)
• Scored 12 points at Boston College (1/18/17)
• Tallied five assists and three steals at Notre Dame (1/24/17)
• Recorded 10 points, four rebounds and four assists vs. Louisville (2/6/17)
• Scored 12 points against Notre Dame in ACC Tournament (3/9/17)
• Tallied 10 points and a career-high four blocks vs. UNCW (3/16/17)
• Transferred out of the program after the season
• Played in all 37 games, including 10 starts
• Averaged 4.3 points, 1.4 assists and 1.2 rebounds
• Shot 53.7 percent from the field, 39 percent from 3-point range and 72.2 percent from the free-throw line
• Ranked fourth on team with 27 steals
• Scored in double figures in six games
• Made the game-winning 3-pointer as time expired at Wake Forest (1/26/16)
• Scored 12 points and added four assists, three steals, and a career-high six rebounds vs. Morgan State (11/13/15)
• Logged a career-high 36 minutes and recorded 12 points and six assists at Ohio State (12/1/15)
• Matched a season-high with 12 points in 36 minutes and collected a season-high four steals vs. William & Mary (12/5/15)
• Scored 11 points (4-4 FG, 2-2 3FG) vs. Villanova (12/19/16)
• Recorded six points on a pair of 3-pointers in NCAA first round win over Hampton (3/17/16)
• Scored nine points (4-4 FG) in NCAA Elite Eight loss against Syracuse (3/27/16)
• Redshirted the 2014-15 season as a transfer
• Played in 37 games, including 10 starts
• Averaged 2.6 points, 2.0 rebounds and 2.4 assists while posting a 2.56 assist/turnover ratio in 16.8 minutes per game
• Led the Volunteers in steals (36) and ranked second on the team in assists (87)
• In SEC action, he played 16.1 minutes per game and averaged 2.3 points, 2.0 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game
• Played 26 minutes during Tennessee's NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 clash vs. Big Ten regular-season champion Michigan (3/28/14), totaling three points, two rebounds, two assists and a steal
• Grabbed three rebounds and dished out one assist in seven minutes of action during Tennessee's third-round NCAA Tournament win over Mercer (3/23/14)
• Totaled three points, four rebounds and two assists in Tennessee's SEC Tournament quarterfinal win over South Carolina (3/14/14)
• When the Vols hosted rival Vanderbilt (3/1/14), he totaled six points, two rebounds, two assists and two steals as UT posted a historic 76-38 triumph
• Had five assists and a pair of steals at Vanderbilt (2/5/14)
• Played 28 minutes in the Vols' win at Alabama (2/1/14), totaling five points and two assists
• In his first career SEC start, he scored seven points, dished out seven assists and logged a pair of steals as UT defeated Ole Miss in Knoxville (1/29/14)
• Pulled down a season-high five rebounds during Tennessee's victory at LSU (1/7/14); also had two assists and a steal in the win
• Started against Tusculum College (1/4/14) and dished out a season-high nine assists (with no turnovers) in 23 efficient minutes
• Exploded for 16 points, while going 9-for-9 at the free-throw line, during UT's thrashing of Wake Forest at the Battle 4 Atlantis (11/30/13)
• Five steals highlighted his six-point, four-rebound, seven-assist effort vs. Tennessee State (11/22/13)
• His collegiate debut came in a tough environment, as he started the season-opener at Xavier (11/12/13) and totaled two steals and a block in 10 minutes of action
• Graduated from Blackman High School in Murfreesboro, Tenn., where he was coached by Barry Wortman
• Was rated by 247Sports.com as the nation's No. 4 overall combo guard and the eighth-best prospect in the state of Tennessee
• Named to the 2013 TSWA Class AAA All-State Team and also was selected to play in the Tennessee Midstate All-Star Showcase at Cumberland University on March 23, 2013
• As a senior, he led Blackman to a 30-1 overall record and a second straight berth in the Tennessee Class AAA state tournament quarterfinals
• In the win over Ooltewah that gave the Blaze their second straight District 7-AAA sectional title, Thompson - the 2013 District MVP - logged 24 points, 11 assists and five steals
• He averaged 16.4 points, 6.4 assists, 3.6 rebounds and 2.3 steals per game as a senior
• Was a 2013 Tennessee Class AAA Mr. Basketball finalist and McDonald's All-American nominee
• He was a TSWA Class AAA All-State, All-Region and All-District performer each of his last two seasons; Blackman posted a 56-5 record during that span
• Played AAU ball for the Team Nashville program, which is coached by Carlton Battle
• Darius Jamar Thompson
• Born in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
• Parents are Lonnie and Felicia Thompson
• Younger brother of Destin and Devin Thompson
• His father, Lonnie, played basketball at Middle Tennessee State and is the head men's basketball coach at Cumberland University (NAIA) in Lebanon, Tenn.
• His brother, Devin, played basketball at East Tennessee State University in Johnson City, Tenn.
• Transferred to Virginia because of its style of play
• Listens to music and plays pick-up basketball in his spare time
• Career objective is to be successful in the business world
• African American & African studies major
Hall Continues to Elevate His GameMen's Basketball12/16/17On an afternoon when fellow guards Nigel Johnson and Kyle Guy also shined for No. 16 Virginia, Devon Hall scored a career-high 20 points and added five rebounds and five assists.Diakite's Impact Growing for CavaliersMen's Basketball12/15/17Redshirt sophomore Mamadi Diakite has been a positive presence around the basket for No. 16 Virginia, which hosts Davidson on Saturday afternoon at JPJ.Welsh Connection Adds to Bowl StorylinesFootball12/14/17Virginia (6-6) meets Navy (6-6) in the Military Bowl, Dec. 28 in Annapolis, Md. George Welsh is a former head coach of each team.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Hall Continues to Elevate His Game
M. Basketball | 12/16/2017
On an afternoon when fellow guards Nigel Johnson and Kyle Guy also shined for No. 16 Virginia,...
Johnson, Hall lead No. 16 Virginia past Davidson 80-60
M. Basketball | 12/16/2017
Nigel Johnson scored 22 points and Devon Hall had a career-high 20 Saturday for No. 16 Virginia...
Jeff White: Diakite's Impact Growing for Cavaliers
M. Basketball | 12/15/2017
Redshirt sophomore Mamadi Diakite has been a positive presence around the basket for No. 16...
No. 16 Virginia Hosts Davidson on Saturday
M. Basketball | 12/15/2017
No. 16 Virginia (8-1) returns to action with a non-conference game against Davidson (4-3) on...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Draw Valuable Lessons from Loss
M. Basketball | 12/6/2017
No. 15 Virginia heads into its exam break with an 8-1 record after losing 68-61 Tuesday night at ...
No. 18 WVU Tops No. 15 Virginia 68-61
M. Basketball | 12/5/2017
Devon Hall led No. 15 Virginia (8-1) with 19 points and Kyle Guy added 18 as the Cavaliers fell...
No. 18 Virginia Plays at No. 19 West Virginia Tuesday
M. Basketball | 12/04/2017
No. 18 Virginia (8-0) travels to No. 19 West Virginia (7-1) on Tuesday (Dec. 5). Tipoff at WVU...
Jeff White: Selfless Effort Propels 'Hoos in Latest Win
M. Basketball | 12/02/2017
No. 18 Virginia was credited with 21 assists on its 30 field goals Saturday in its victory over...
- Online Stores