Anthony Gill scored 16 points and No. 7 Virginia turned the tables on state rival Virginia Tech with a 67-49 victory Tuesday night
Malcolm Brogdon scores 21 points
No. 9 Virginia 64, Pitt 50
Men's Basketball vs. Virginia Tech (by Matt Riley and Kelsey Grant)
Photos from Virginia Tech @ No. 7 Virginia on February 9, 2016.
No. 9 Virginia pulls away from Pitt 64-50
The Cavaliers improved to 7-3 in ACC play.
No. 11 Virginia shuts down No. 16 Louisville, 63-47
• Named to the All-ACC Third Team in 2014-2015 by the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association (ACSMA)
• Named to the All-ACC Defensive Team in 2014-2015 by the ACC coaches
• Named MVP of the Barclays Center Classic in 2014
• Averaged career highs in points (11.6) and rebounds (6.5) in 2014-2015
• Averaged 8.6 points and 4.0 rebounds per game in first season at Virginia in 2013-14
• In the summer of 2013, averaged 16 points and 7.6 rebounds per game for Athletes in Action during a five-game tour of Jamaica.
• Transferred to Virginia from South Carolina and has three years of eligibility remaining beginning with the 2013-14 season
• Averaged 7.6 points (third on the team) and 4.7 rebounds (tied for second on the team) a game as a freshman at South Carolina during the 2011-12 season
• Was a teammate of former Virginia standout Akil Mitchell at Charlotte Christian School
• Played in all 34 games, including 30 starts
• Averaged career highs in points (11.6) and rebounds (6.5)
• Shot 58.2 percent from the field and 67.7 percent from the free-throw line
• Led Virginia in rebounding (6.5 rpg), field goal percentage (58.2%), steals (29) and double-doubles (3)
• Named to the All-ACC Third Team by the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association (ACSMA)
• Named to the All-ACC Defensive Team by the ACC coaches
• USBWA Oscar Robertson Trophy Midseason Watch List
• Named MVP of Barclays Center Classic
• Scored 15 points on 6-8 shooting at James Madison (11/14/14)
• Had 16 points (6-6 FGs) and nine rebounds vs. Tennessee State (11/25/14)
• Recorded first career double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds vs. La Salle (11/28/14)
• Named MVP of the Barclays Center Classic after averaging 14.5 points and 7.5 rebounds in wins over La Salle and Rutgers
• Had 18 points and eight rebounds in a career-high 36 minutes at VCU (12/6/14)
• Had career highs of 25 points (11-16 FGs) and 13 rebounds vs. Davidson (12/30/14)
• Recorded a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds at Boston College (1/17/15)
• Scored 19 points and grabbed six rebounds vs. Wake Forest (2/14/15)
• Had 16 points (6-8 FG, 4-5 FT) vs. Virginia Tech (2/28/15)
• Registered 17 points (8-11 FG) and nine rebounds at Syracuse (3/2/15)
• Tallied 12 points vs. North Carolina in the ACC Tournament semifinals (3/13/15)
• Scored 16 points (4-6 FG, 8-11 FT) vs. Belmont in NCAA Round of 64 (3/20/15)
• Played in 37 games, including six starts
• Averaged 8.6 points and 4.0 rebounds in 19.8 minutes per game
• Shot a team-leading 58.7 percent from the field and 62.7 percent from the free-throw line
• Named to the Corpus Christi Challenge All-Tournament Team after averaging 11.8 points in wins against Liberty (11/23/13), Hampton (11/26/13), SMU (11/29/13) and Missouri State (11/30/13)
• Earned ACC All-Tournament honors after averaging 12.7 points and 5.7 rebounds in wins against Florida State (3/14/14), Pittsburgh (3/15/14) and Duke (3/16/14)
• Led Virginia in scoring in seven games, including a career-high 19 vs. SMU (11/29/13)
• Scored in double figures in 16 games, including six consecutive from March 9-23
• Recorded 18 points and five rebounds vs. Navy (11/19/13)
• Scored 15 points vs. Notre Dame (2/22/14) and Maryland (3/9/14)
• Had 16 points and five rebounds in the ACC Tournament quarterfinals vs. Florida State (3/14/14)
• Tallied a game-high 17 points and five rebounds vs. Coastal Carolina (3/21/14) in the second round of the NCAA Tournament
• Registered 13 points and eight rebounds vs. Memphis (3/23/14) in the third round of the NCAA Tournament
• Redshirted the 2012-13 season as a transfer
AT SOUTH CAROLINA
• Averaged 7.6 points, 4.7 rebounds and 25.3 minutes played per game
• Played in all 31 games and started 26
• Shot 45.3 percent (86-190) from the field, including 39.3 percent (11-28) from three-point range, and 64.6 percent (53-82) from the free-throw line
• Averaged 7.3 points and 4.7 rebounds per game in SEC games
• Lettered four years in basketball for head coach Shonn Brown at Charlotte Christian School
• Averaged 19.3 points, rebounds and two assists per game as a senior at Charlotte Christian
• Averaged 18 points, eight rebounds and two blocks per game as a junior
• Earned North Carolina Independent School Athletic Association All-State and All-Conference honors during his career at Charlotte Christian
• High school teammate of former Virginia forward Akil Mitchell
• Top 100 recruit by ESPN.com and Scout.com
• Anthony Remeral Gill
• Son of Sandi Summers and Anthony and Sherry Gill
• Has a brother, Daxton, and two sisters, Nichole and Kaytlyn
• Earned a Hendrick Memorial Scholarship at Charlotte Christian School in 2010-11
• Anthropology major
Rivalry Win Continues Cavaliers' AscentMen's Basketball2/10/16In defeating Virginia Tech for the 10th time in the rivals' past 12 meetings, seventh-ranked Virginia never trailed Tuesday night at John Paul Jones Arena.Even-Keeled Cavaliers Ready for RematchMen's Basketball2/9/16At 8 p.m. Tuesday, No. 7 Virginia meets ACC rival Virginia Tech at John Paul Jones Arena. The Hokies upset the Cavaliers last month in Blacksburg.Short-Handed Cavaliers' Struggles ContinueWomen's Basketball2/8/16Since losing All-ACC guard Faith Randolph, the Virginia women's basketball team has lost six of eight games. UVA hosts Syracuse on Thursday night.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Early Test Exposes Cavaliers' Flaws
M. Basketball | 11/17/2015
After losing 73-68 Monday night to George Washington in Washington, D.C., sixth-ranked Virginia...
No. 6 Virginia Drops Road Contest at George Washington, 73-68
M. Basketball | 11/16/2015
Virginia (1-1) was led by Malcolm Brogdon, who had 28 points and eight rebounds. Brogdon was the ...
No. 6 Virginia Plays at George Washington on Monday
M. Basketball | 11/15/2015
No. 6 Virginia (1-0) continues non-conference action at George Washington on Monday (Nov. 16)....
No. 6 Virginia Cruises Past Morgan State in Season Opener,...
M. Basketball | 11/13/2015
Mike Tobey had 15 points and eight rebounds and No. 6 Virginia shook off early shooting problems ...
Jeff White: Perrantes Ready to Get Rolling Again
M. Basketball | 11/12/2015
London Perrantes' third season as Virginia's starting point guard begins Friday at John Paul...
No. 6 Virginia Hosts Morgan State in Season Opener on Friday
M. Basketball | 11/12/2015
No. 6 Virginia hosts Morgan State in season-opening men's basketball action on Friday (Nov. 13). ...
UVA Men's Basketball Signs Four Student-Athletes
M. Basketball | 11/12/2015
Kyle Guy (Indianapolis, Ind./Lawrence Central), Jay Huff (Durham, N.C./Voyager Academy), De'Andre...
Jeff White: Long Wait Nearly Over for Cavalier Duo
M. Basketball | 11/09/2015
After sitting out the 2014-15 season, 6-11 center Jack Salt and 6-4 guard Darius Thompson are...
- Online Stores