By Jeff White (email@example.com)
Mike Tobey led the team with 15 points and eight rebounds in win over the Bears.
Virginia took down Florida State, 58-44, in the ACC tournament
The Cavaliers claim the Atlantic Coast Conference regular-season title with the win.
No. 2 Virginia 59, Syracuse 47
Check out the photo gallery from the No. 12 Virginia men's basketball game against Lehigh.
Photos from Long Beach State @ Virginia on November 20, 2015.
The Cavaliers fall on the road against George Washington, on November 16, 2015.
Check out the photo gallery from the No. 6 Virginia Men's Basketball game against Morgan State.
Men's Basketball Blue and White Scrimmage (by Matt Riley)
• Named ACC Sixth Man of the Year by the ACC coaches in 2014-2015
• Averaged 6.9 points and 5.1 rebounds per game in 2014-15, both career highs
• Averaged 6.4 points and 3.8 rebounds per game in 2013-14
• Helped Team USA to the gold medal at the 2013 FIBA U19 World Championships in Prague, Czech Republic
• In 2012-13, scored in double figures in seven games and tallied a career-high 19 points, including 9-of-10 shooting from the field, vs. Wofford (12/30/12)
• Averaged 21 points and nine rebounds a game as a high school senior at Blair Academy (N.J.)
• Earned New Jersey Prep All-State honors at Blair Academy and was a first-team All-Mid Atlantic Prep League selection
• Played in all 34 games, including 11 starts
• Averaged 6.9 points and 5.1 rebounds per game, both career highs
• Shot 51.4 percent from the field and 74.6 percent from the free-throw line
• Named ACC Sixth Man of the Year by the ACC coaches
• Scored in double figures in 10 games
• Second on the team with 22 blocks
• Recorded 10 points and seven rebounds and two blocks vs. Norfolk State (11/16/14)
• Recorded a career-high 16 rebounds and scored 13 points vs. Tennessee State (11/25/14)
• Had 14 points and six rebounds at Maryland (12/3/14)
• Tallied 15 points and 10 rebounds vs. Harvard (12/21/14)
• Scored 14 points at Miami (1/3/15)
• Had 11 points and nine rebounds at NC State (2/11/15)
• Registered 11 points (5-6 FGs) and six rebounds vs. Florida State in ACC Tournament quarterfinals (3/12/15)
• Played in 37 games, including 28 starts
• Averaged 6.4 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.1 blocked shots in 18.1 minutes per game
• Shot 48.1 percent from the field, 33.3 percent from 3-point range and 67.9 percent from the free-throw line
• Scored in double figures in 11 games, including a season-high and team-high 18 points at Davidson (11/16/13)
• Had a career-high nine rebounds vs. VCU (11/12/13)
• Recorded 14 points and six rebounds vs. Missouri State (11/30/13)
• Tallied an ACC-high 16 points at NC State (1/11/14)
• Scored 14 points at Notre Dame (1/28/14)
• Had 14 points and five rebounds at Clemson (2/15/14)
• Tallied 11 points and eight rebounds vs. Syracuse (3/1/14)
• Registered 11 points, six rebounds and two blocked shots against Memphis (3/23/14) in the third round of the NCAA Tournament
• Played in 30 games and started two games
• Missed five games from Feb. 7-19 with mononucleosis
• Averaged 6.8 points and 2.9 rebounds per game
• Shot 53 percent from the field, 60 percent from 3-point range and 79.4 percent from the free-throw line
• Scored in double figures in seven games
• Tallied a career-high 19 points, including 9-of-10 shooting from the field, vs. Wofford (12/30/12)
• Led Virginia with 17 points against Seattle (11/17/12)
• Had a team-leading 14 points and seven rebounds at Wake Forest (1/9/13)
• Recorded a career-best seven rebounds in four games
• Had a career-high three blocked shots vs. Mississippi Valley State (12/8/12) and Iowa (3/27/13)
• Was part of the first Virginia freshman trio, along with Justin Anderson and Taylor Barnette, to start a game at UVa, starting the season opener at George Mason (11/9/12)
• Attended Blair Academy (N.J.) as a senior and played for head coach Joe Montegna
• Averaged 21 points and nine rebounds per game at Blair Academy
• Earned New Jersey Prep All-State honors and was a first-team All-Mid Atlantic Prep League selection
• MVP of the New York City-New Jersey Challenge
• Blair Academy MVP
• Blair Academy compiled a record of 18-7 during the regular season and won the MAPL Tournament in 2011-12
• Lost to St. Benedict's in the state final
• Attended The Hotchkiss School (Conn.) as a junior and played for head coach Fred Benjamin
• Averaged 15.7 points, 11.1 rebounds and four blocked shots per game at The Hotchkiss School and earned first-team All-Tri-State honors
• Attended Don Bosco Prep (N.J.) as a sophomore and played for head coach Kevin Diverio
• Top 100 Recruit by ESPN and Rivals.com
• Played in the Capital Classic
• Michael Edward Tobey
• Parents are Kathleen and Ken Tobey
• Has an older brother, Kenneth, and a younger sister, Elizabeth
• His father played basketball at St. Thomas Aquinas College
• Volunteered in the Monroe Free Library Summer Reading Program, at St. Anastasia Religious Education Center and at local basketball camps
• Ran a basketball clinic at a local youth summer camp
• History major
Cavalier Football: Virginia Tech PostscriptFootball11/29/15Virginia's sixth season under head coach Mike London ended Saturday with a 23-20 loss to Virginia Tech at Scott Stadium.End Comes Too Soon for 'HoosWomen's Soccer11/28/15In women's soccer, Virginia finished with a 19-1-13 after falling in the NCAA quarterfinals to Rutgers in a penalty-kick shootout Friday at Klöckner Stadium.Stage Set for Season FinaleFootball11/27/15At noon Saturday, in the rivals' annual clash for the Commonwealth Cup, Virginia (4-7, 3-4) meets Virginia Tech (5-6, 3-4) at Scott Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Early Test Exposes Cavaliers' Flaws
M. Basketball | 11/17/2015
After losing 73-68 Monday night to George Washington in Washington, D.C., sixth-ranked Virginia...
No. 6 Virginia Drops Road Contest at George Washington, 73-68
M. Basketball | 11/16/2015
Virginia (1-1) was led by Malcolm Brogdon, who had 28 points and eight rebounds. Brogdon was the ...
No. 6 Virginia Plays at George Washington on Monday
M. Basketball | 11/15/2015
No. 6 Virginia (1-0) continues non-conference action at George Washington on Monday (Nov. 16)....
No. 6 Virginia Cruises Past Morgan State in Season Opener,...
M. Basketball | 11/13/2015
Mike Tobey had 15 points and eight rebounds and No. 6 Virginia shook off early shooting problems ...
Jeff White: Perrantes Ready to Get Rolling Again
M. Basketball | 11/12/2015
London Perrantes' third season as Virginia's starting point guard begins Friday at John Paul...
No. 6 Virginia Hosts Morgan State in Season Opener on Friday
M. Basketball | 11/12/2015
No. 6 Virginia hosts Morgan State in season-opening men's basketball action on Friday (Nov. 13). ...
UVA Men's Basketball Signs Four Student-Athletes
M. Basketball | 11/12/2015
Kyle Guy (Indianapolis, Ind./Lawrence Central), Jay Huff (Durham, N.C./Voyager Academy), De'Andre...
Jeff White: Long Wait Nearly Over for Cavalier Duo
M. Basketball | 11/09/2015
After sitting out the 2014-15 season, 6-11 center Jack Salt and 6-4 guard Darius Thompson are...
- Online Stores