Jan. 6, 2013
• The Cavaliers are 4-0 in ACC openers under Tony Bennett and have won their conference opener five straight years
• Virginia snapped a three-game losing streak to North Carolina
• The Tar Heels suffered their first loss at JPJA (1-4); UNC had been the only ACC team undefeated at the arena
• North Carolina was held to a season-low 52 points (previous low - 59 at Indiana)
• The Cavaliers improved to 9-1 when scoring at least 60 points this season
• Virginia had just one double-figure scorer (Harris) for the first time this season (last time- Mike Scott vs. Florida in 2012 NCAA Tournament)
• Virginia trailed at the half (25-24) for the first time in 11 games (Delaware)
• Joe Harris (19 pts) scored in double figures for the 12th time this season
• Harris led the team in scoring for the ninth time this season
• Akil Mitchell (11 rebs) had double-digit rebounds for the sixth time this season
• Jontel Evans made his first appearance since Tennessee (Dec. 5), having missed the last four games due to injury
• Evans scored a season-high eight points
Prime Opportunity Eludes CavaliersWomen's Basketball2/18/18Virginia, which lost Sunday to ACC rival Miami at John Paul Jones Arena, has two regular-season games remaining, both on the road.Jackson Comfortable in Leading RoleWomen's Lacrosse2/16/18As a sophomore last season, Maggie Jackson led the Cavaliers in points, ground balls and draw controls and tied for the lead in assists.Eikhoff Eager to Assume Larger RoleBaseball2/15/18No. 15 Virginia, which opens the season Friday against No. 22 Central Florida, is counting on production from junior infield Nate Eikhoff.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Hunter Named Co-ACC Rookie of the Week
M. Basketball | 2/19/2018
Virginia redshirt freshman guard De'Andre Hunter has been voted the ACC Men's Basketball Co-Rooki...
Coach's Corner with Tony Bennett Airs Tonight
M. Basketball | 2/19/2018
The weekly radio program "Coach's Corner with Tony Bennett" airs tonight across the Virginia...
Jeff White: Hard-Earned Break Next for No. 1 'Hoos
M. Basketball | 2/14/2018
No. 1 Virginia, which defeated ACC rival Miami 59-50 late Tuesday night in Coral Gables, Fla.,...
No. 1 Virginia beats Miami 59-50
M. Basketball | 2/13/2018
No. 1 Virginia looked the part Tuesday, never trailing and holding Miami to 38 percent shooting...
Top-Ranked Virginia Plays at Miami Tuesday
M. Basketball | 2/12/2018
No. 1 Virginia (23-2, 12-1 ACC) plays at Miami (18-6, 7-5 ACC) on Tuesday, Feb. 13. Tipoff at...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Absorb Painful Lessons in Defeat
M. Basketball | 2/11/2018
Next up for No. 2 Virginia, whose 15-game winning streak ended Saturday night at John Paul Jones ...
No. 2 Virginia Falls in Overtime to Virginia Tech
M. Basketball | 02/10/2018
No. 2 Virginia fell 61-60 in overtime to Virginia Tech on Saturday night in John Paul Jones Arena.
No. 2 UVA Hosts Virginia Tech in Commonwealth Clash
M. Basketball | 02/09/2018
No. 2 Virginia (23-1, 12-0 ACC) hosts Virginia Tech on Saturday, Feb. 10. Tipoff at John Paul...
- Online Stores