Jan. 9, 2016
Virginia Game Notes
Georgia Tech 68, No. 4 Virginia 64
Saturday, Jan. 9, 2016
- UVA's three-game winning streak against Georgia Tech ended with the loss
- UVA has dropped back-to-back games for the first time since losing to Wisconsin and Green Bay in December of 2013
- Virginia is 38-39 all-time vs. Georgia Tech, including a 12-24 road record
- Virginia trailed 33-18 in the first half, marking its largest first-half deficit of the season
- UVA trailed at the half (35-24) for the fourth time in its last five games
- UVA is 3-3 (0-2 ACC) when trailing at the half in 2015-16
- Malcolm Brogdon (19 points) reached double figures for the 14th straight game
- Anthony Gill (11 points) has reached double figures in all 15 games
- Marial Shayok (6 points) and Mike Tobey (7 points, 7 rebounds) made their first starts since Dec. 5 vs. William & Mary
- Evan Nolte played a season-high 16 minutes
- Brogdon scored Virginia's first seven points of the game before a Jarred Reuter layup at 12:22 of the first half
- Shayok's 3-pointer tied the game at 49-49 at 6:09 of the second half, but Georgia Tech answered with an 11-0 run as UVA went scoreless for 4:27
Diakite's Impact Growing for CavaliersMen's Basketball12/15/17Redshirt sophomore Mamadi Diakite has been a positive presence around the basket for No. 16 Virginia, which hosts Davidson on Saturday afternoon at JPJ.Welsh Connection Adds to Bowl StorylinesFootball12/14/17Virginia (6-6) meets Navy (6-6) in the Military Bowl, Dec. 28 in Annapolis, Md. George Welsh is a former head coach of each team.Cooper Thriving Under New StaffSwimming & Diving12/12/17A senior from Atlanta and one of the team's captains, Caitlin Cooper set the UVA women's record in the 50-yard freestyle early this month in Athens, Georgia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Diakite's Impact Growing for Cavaliers
M. Basketball | 12/15/2017
Redshirt sophomore Mamadi Diakite has been a positive presence around the basket for No. 16...
No. 16 Virginia Hosts Davidson on Saturday
M. Basketball | 12/15/2017
No. 16 Virginia (8-1) returns to action with a non-conference game against Davidson (4-3) on...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Draw Valuable Lessons from Loss
M. Basketball | 12/6/2017
No. 15 Virginia heads into its exam break with an 8-1 record after losing 68-61 Tuesday night at ...
No. 18 WVU Tops No. 15 Virginia 68-61
M. Basketball | 12/5/2017
Devon Hall led No. 15 Virginia (8-1) with 19 points and Kyle Guy added 18 as the Cavaliers fell...
No. 18 Virginia Plays at No. 19 West Virginia Tuesday
M. Basketball | 12/4/2017
No. 18 Virginia (8-0) travels to No. 19 West Virginia (7-1) on Tuesday (Dec. 5). Tipoff at WVU...
Jeff White: Selfless Effort Propels 'Hoos in Latest Win
M. Basketball | 12/2/2017
No. 18 Virginia was credited with 21 assists on its 30 field goals Saturday in its victory over...
Guy's 21 lead No. 18 Virginia past Lehigh 75-54
M. Basketball | 12/02/2017
Kyle Guy scored 21 points and No. 18 Virginia never trailed in a 75-54 victory against Lehigh on ...
Coach's Corner with Tony Bennett Airs Tonight
M. Basketball | 12/11/2017
Coach's Corner with Tony Bennett airs on Virginia Sports Radio Network tonight from 7:06-8 p.m.
- Online Stores