Feb. 27, 2017
Virginia Game Notes
No. 23 Virginia 53, No. 5 North Carolina 43
Monday, February 27, 2017
• Virginia is 54-131 all-time against North Carolina, including 34-44 in
Charlottesville, and has won four of the last five regular-season meetings
• UVA has won four straight games against UNC at John Paul Jones Arena
• UVA is 149-40 in 11 seasons at JPJ, including 111-24 under Tony Bennett and 76-9 over the past five seasons
• UVA is 40-4 in ACC home games over the last five seasons
• UVA is 63-2 when holding opponents to fewer than 50 points under Tony Bennett
• Virginia recorded its sixth consecutive 20-win season
• UVA has posted its eighth-consecutive season with 11 or more home wins • UVA has recorded five straight seasons of 10 or more ACC wins
• UNC’s 21 second-half point matched the fewest scored by the Tar Heels in any half this season (21 in first half at Miami)
• Virginia blocked eight shots, matching a season high
• UVA committed a season-low four turnovers (five vs. Iowa, Boston College)
• UNC scored its fewest points in Roy Williams’ 14 years as head coach (45 at Syracuse, 1/11/14)
• It also marked UNC’s fewest points since 1979
• UVA held UNC to half its season points average (86.4) and to 19 points fewer than its previous low (62 at Miami)
• UVA forced 12 first-half turnovers, scoring 18 points off them
• UVA held Justin Jackson to seven points, matching his season low
• London Perrantes made his 129th career start, becoming the all-time
leader in program history
• Kyle Guy scored in double figures for the 10th time this season and the fifth in ACC play
• Guy hit five three-pointers for the second straight game, matching his season high (Grambling, NC State)
• Guy also recorded season highs in rebounds (6) and assists (4)
• Devon Hall matched his season high in shots (14 at home vs. Virginia Tech)
• Jack Salt played 25 minutes, his most since 35 against Georgia Tech
• With 15 points, Devon Hall scored in double figures in ACC play for the 12th time, including third straight
'Hoos Rue Missed OpportunityFootball11/18/17On an afternoon when Kurt Benkert threw four touchdown passes, Virginia twice built 14-point leads before falling 44-28 to No. 2 Miami at Hard Rock Stadium.Cavalier Football Notebook -- Miami WeekFootball11/16/17Two regular-season games remain for Virginia (6-4 overall, 3-3 ACC), which plays No. 2 Miami (9-0, 6-0) at noon Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium.Torres Makes Most of Learning OpportunityWomen's Soccer11/15/17Freshman Taryn Torres has scored a team-high eight goals for Virginia, which meets Pepperdine in the NCAA tourney's second round Friday night in Los Angeles.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Hunter's 23 points lifts Virginia past Monmouth 75-53
M. Basketball | 11/19/2017
Behind a pace-setting, 23 point, eight-rebound performance by redshirt-freshman Deandre Hunter, ...
Virginia Entertains Monmouth on Sunday
M. Basketball | 11/18/2017
Virginia (3-0) hosts Monmouth (2-1) in men’s basketball non-conference action on Sunday (No...
Guy's 29 lead Virginia past VCU, 76-67
M. Basketball | 11/17/2017
Kyle Guy scored 29 points and hit two 3-pointers in the final three minutes Friday, leading...
Virginia Plays at VCU Friday
M. Basketball | 11/16/2017
Virginia meets VCU for the first time since posting a 74-57 win over the Rams during the 2014-15 ...
Jeff White: Redshirt Freshmen Impress in Emphatic Win
M. Basketball | 11/14/2017
Jay Huff and De'Andre Hunter combined for 29 points Monday night in Virginia's 93-49 victory over...
Huff Shines in Debut as Virginia Rolls Austin Peay, 93-49
M. Basketball | 11/13/2017
Four players scored in double-figures for Virginia as the Cavaliers defeated Austin Peay 93-49 on...
Virginia Hosts Austin Peay on Monday Night
M. Basketball | 11/12/2017
Virginia (1-0) hosts Austin Peay (0-1) in men’s basketball non-conference action on Monday ...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Grind Out Win in Opener
M. Basketball | 11/10/2017
For the second straight year, UVA opened the season with a win over UNC Greensboro. This one was ...
- Online Stores