March 1, 2013
• The win broke the Cavaliers’ eight-game losing streak against the Blue Devils
• The win was Virginia’s first against a top-5 opponent since an 87-84 win over No. 3 Duke on Feb. 28, 2002
• Virginia ended its 22-game losing streak against top-5 opponents
• Virginia won its 10th ACC game of the season, its most ACC wins since winning 11 in 2006-07
• Virginia has improved its ACC record in each of the last four seasons (5 wins in 2009-10, 7 wins in 2010-11, 9 wins in 2011-12 and 10 wins in 2012-13)
• The Cavaliers extended their home winning streak to 16 games (JPJA record), their longest home winning streak since the school-record 34 game home winning streak (1980-83)
• Virginia’s 17 home wins this season (17-1) are a school record, breaking the previous mark of 16 set in 2006-07 (first year of JPJA, 16-1)
• Virginia improved to 35-3 when scoring at least 70 points in the Bennett era
• Duke became the last ACC team to lose to Virginia in the Bennett era
• Joe Harris (36 pts) had the first 30-point game by a Cavalier this season, first since Mike Scott (35 pts) at Maryland on Mar. 4, 2012
• Harris’ 36 points are the most by a Cavalier since Sean Singletary scored 41 points at Miami (Mar. 1, 2008)
• Harris’ 36 points are the most by an ACC player this season
• Harris’ 36 points are the most by a Duke opponent since Florida State’s Al Thornton scored 37 at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Feb. 4, 2006
• Harris had his ninth 20-point game of the season (six in ACC play)
• Harris scored in double figures for the 25th time this season
• Akil Mitchell (19 pts, 12 rebs) had his ninth double-double of the season (10th career double-double)
• Mitchell’s 19 points are an ACC career high
• Mitchell tied his ACC career high with 12 rebounds
• Mitchell scored in double figures for the 21st time this season
Career Records Watch
• Joe Harris moved into sixth place on Virginia’s all-time 3-pointer list with 180, passing John Crotty (179, 1988-91)
• Joe Harris (1,170 pts) moved into 35th place on Virginia’s all-time scoring lists, passing Paul Adkins (1,150, 1958-60), Olden Polynice (1,151, 1984-86) and Chip Conner (1,157, 1962-64)
Diakite's Impact Growing for CavaliersMen's Basketball12/15/17Redshirt sophomore Mamadi Diakite has been a positive presence around the basket for No. 16 Virginia, which hosts Davidson on Saturday afternoon at JPJ.Welsh Connection Adds to Bowl StorylinesFootball12/14/17Virginia (6-6) meets Navy (6-6) in the Military Bowl, Dec. 28 in Annapolis, Md. George Welsh is a former head coach of each team.Cooper Thriving Under New StaffSwimming & Diving12/12/17A senior from Atlanta and one of the team's captains, Caitlin Cooper set the UVA women's record in the 50-yard freestyle early this month in Athens, Georgia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Diakite's Impact Growing for Cavaliers
M. Basketball | 12/15/2017
Redshirt sophomore Mamadi Diakite has been a positive presence around the basket for No. 16...
No. 16 Virginia Hosts Davidson on Saturday
M. Basketball | 12/15/2017
No. 16 Virginia (8-1) returns to action with a non-conference game against Davidson (4-3) on...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Draw Valuable Lessons from Loss
M. Basketball | 12/6/2017
No. 15 Virginia heads into its exam break with an 8-1 record after losing 68-61 Tuesday night at ...
No. 18 WVU Tops No. 15 Virginia 68-61
M. Basketball | 12/5/2017
Devon Hall led No. 15 Virginia (8-1) with 19 points and Kyle Guy added 18 as the Cavaliers fell...
No. 18 Virginia Plays at No. 19 West Virginia Tuesday
M. Basketball | 12/4/2017
No. 18 Virginia (8-0) travels to No. 19 West Virginia (7-1) on Tuesday (Dec. 5). Tipoff at WVU...
Jeff White: Selfless Effort Propels 'Hoos in Latest Win
M. Basketball | 12/2/2017
No. 18 Virginia was credited with 21 assists on its 30 field goals Saturday in its victory over...
Guy's 21 lead No. 18 Virginia past Lehigh 75-54
M. Basketball | 12/02/2017
Kyle Guy scored 21 points and No. 18 Virginia never trailed in a 75-54 victory against Lehigh on ...
Coach's Corner with Tony Bennett Airs Tonight
M. Basketball | 12/11/2017
Coach's Corner with Tony Bennett airs on Virginia Sports Radio Network tonight from 7:06-8 p.m.
- Online Stores