March 1, 2013
• The win broke the Cavaliers’ eight-game losing streak against the Blue Devils
• The win was Virginia’s first against a top-5 opponent since an 87-84 win over No. 3 Duke on Feb. 28, 2002
• Virginia ended its 22-game losing streak against top-5 opponents
• Virginia won its 10th ACC game of the season, its most ACC wins since winning 11 in 2006-07
• Virginia has improved its ACC record in each of the last four seasons (5 wins in 2009-10, 7 wins in 2010-11, 9 wins in 2011-12 and 10 wins in 2012-13)
• The Cavaliers extended their home winning streak to 16 games (JPJA record), their longest home winning streak since the school-record 34 game home winning streak (1980-83)
• Virginia’s 17 home wins this season (17-1) are a school record, breaking the previous mark of 16 set in 2006-07 (first year of JPJA, 16-1)
• Virginia improved to 35-3 when scoring at least 70 points in the Bennett era
• Duke became the last ACC team to lose to Virginia in the Bennett era
• Joe Harris (36 pts) had the first 30-point game by a Cavalier this season, first since Mike Scott (35 pts) at Maryland on Mar. 4, 2012
• Harris’ 36 points are the most by a Cavalier since Sean Singletary scored 41 points at Miami (Mar. 1, 2008)
• Harris’ 36 points are the most by an ACC player this season
• Harris’ 36 points are the most by a Duke opponent since Florida State’s Al Thornton scored 37 at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Feb. 4, 2006
• Harris had his ninth 20-point game of the season (six in ACC play)
• Harris scored in double figures for the 25th time this season
• Akil Mitchell (19 pts, 12 rebs) had his ninth double-double of the season (10th career double-double)
• Mitchell’s 19 points are an ACC career high
• Mitchell tied his ACC career high with 12 rebounds
• Mitchell scored in double figures for the 21st time this season
Career Records Watch
• Joe Harris moved into sixth place on Virginia’s all-time 3-pointer list with 180, passing John Crotty (179, 1988-91)
• Joe Harris (1,170 pts) moved into 35th place on Virginia’s all-time scoring lists, passing Paul Adkins (1,150, 1958-60), Olden Polynice (1,151, 1984-86) and Chip Conner (1,157, 1962-64)
Lynch Makes Timely Return to MoundBaseball5/28/16In his first appearance since April 13, freshman Daniel Lynch retired all four batters he faced Friday in Virginia's ACC tournament loss to Wake Forest.Transfers Eager to Help Lift ProgramFootball5/26/16UVA's football team added three transfers this spring: quarterback Kurt Benkert, offensive guard Jared Cohen and defensive end Jack Powers.Cavaliers' Reign Atop NCAA ContinuesMen's Tennis5/25/16With a 4-1 win over Oklahoma on Tuesday night, top-seeded Virginia captured its second straight NCAA men's title and third in four seasons.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia to Host Ohio State in 2016 ACC/Big Ten Challenge
M. Basketball | 5/24/2016
Virginia will host Ohio State in the 18th ACC/Big Ten Challenge on Wednesday, Nov. 30. This year'...
Jeff White: Checking In With Justin Anderson
M. Basketball | 5/18/2016
Former UVA star Justin Anderson, who recently completed his rookie season with the NBA's Mavs,...
Malcolm Brogdon and Leah Smith UVA's Top Athletes
M. Basketball | 5/4/2016
Malcolm Brogdon (men's basketball) and Leah Smith (women's swimming) were honored as Virginia's...
Bennett, Brogdon and Gill Honored by VaSID
M. Basketball | 4/22/2016
Virginia's Tony Bennett, Malcolm Brogdon (Atlanta, Ga.) and Anthony Gill (High Point, N.C.) were ...
Brogdon Adds Senior CLASS First-Team Honor
M. Basketball | 4/1/2016
Virginia's Malcolm Brogdon (Atlanta, Ga.) was named to the 2015-16 Senior CLASS All-America first...
Brogdon Named NABC Defensive Player of the Year
M. Basketball | 3/31/2016
Virginia guard Malcolm Brogdon (Atlanta, Ga.), a consensus first-team All-American, has been...
Gill To Compete in Reese's College All-Star Game
M. Basketball | 03/29/2016
Virginia senior forward Anthony Gill (High Point, Va.) has been selected by the National...
Brogdon Named AP First-Team All-American
M. Basketball | 03/29/2016
Virginia senior guard Malcolm Brogdon (Atlanta, Ga.) was named first-team All-American by the...
- Online Stores