March 1, 2013
• The win broke the Cavaliers’ eight-game losing streak against the Blue Devils
• The win was Virginia’s first against a top-5 opponent since an 87-84 win over No. 3 Duke on Feb. 28, 2002
• Virginia ended its 22-game losing streak against top-5 opponents
• Virginia won its 10th ACC game of the season, its most ACC wins since winning 11 in 2006-07
• Virginia has improved its ACC record in each of the last four seasons (5 wins in 2009-10, 7 wins in 2010-11, 9 wins in 2011-12 and 10 wins in 2012-13)
• The Cavaliers extended their home winning streak to 16 games (JPJA record), their longest home winning streak since the school-record 34 game home winning streak (1980-83)
• Virginia’s 17 home wins this season (17-1) are a school record, breaking the previous mark of 16 set in 2006-07 (first year of JPJA, 16-1)
• Virginia improved to 35-3 when scoring at least 70 points in the Bennett era
• Duke became the last ACC team to lose to Virginia in the Bennett era
• Joe Harris (36 pts) had the first 30-point game by a Cavalier this season, first since Mike Scott (35 pts) at Maryland on Mar. 4, 2012
• Harris’ 36 points are the most by a Cavalier since Sean Singletary scored 41 points at Miami (Mar. 1, 2008)
• Harris’ 36 points are the most by an ACC player this season
• Harris’ 36 points are the most by a Duke opponent since Florida State’s Al Thornton scored 37 at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Feb. 4, 2006
• Harris had his ninth 20-point game of the season (six in ACC play)
• Harris scored in double figures for the 25th time this season
• Akil Mitchell (19 pts, 12 rebs) had his ninth double-double of the season (10th career double-double)
• Mitchell’s 19 points are an ACC career high
• Mitchell tied his ACC career high with 12 rebounds
• Mitchell scored in double figures for the 21st time this season
Career Records Watch
• Joe Harris moved into sixth place on Virginia’s all-time 3-pointer list with 180, passing John Crotty (179, 1988-91)
• Joe Harris (1,170 pts) moved into 35th place on Virginia’s all-time scoring lists, passing Paul Adkins (1,150, 1958-60), Olden Polynice (1,151, 1984-86) and Chip Conner (1,157, 1962-64)
UVA Pioneer Ready for Next ChapterFootball5/21/18Kent Merritt, who's retiring next month from his position in the history department, was among the first African-American football players at Virginia.Shared Vision Unites Mendenhall and WilliamsGeneral Release5/17/18Virginia's new athletics director, Carla Williams, has formed a strong working relationship with head football coach Bronco Mendenhall.Lillie Helps Lead Cavaliers' ResurgenceWomen's Golf5/16/18Beth Lillie, one of four freshmen named to the All-ACC team, is second in scoring average for UVA, which plays in the NCAA championships this week.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
UVA Men’s Basketball Adds Caffaro and Key
M. Basketball | 5/18/2018
Virginia men's head basketball coach Tony Bennett announced May 18 the additions of center...
Jeff White: Vandross Eager to Contribute in New Role
M. Basketball | 5/2/2018
Ron Sanchez's departure created a vacancy on the UVA staff that Tony Bennett filled by promoting ...
UVA Sweeps Top VaSID Honors
M. Basketball | 4/20/2018
Tony Bennett (coach), Kyle Guy (player) and De'Andre Hunter (rookie) earned top VaSID University...
Bennett Promotes Williford and Vandross
M. Basketball | 4/17/2018
Jason Williford has been promoted to associate head coach and Orlando Vandross has been elevated ...
ACC Opponents Announced for 2018-19
M. Basketball | 4/10/2018
The ACC announced Tuesday (April 10) the men's basketball league opponents for all 15...
Bennett Adds Another Coach of the Year Award
M. Basketball | 4/1/2018
Virginia’s Tony Bennett was named the 2018 NABC Division I Coach of the Year, announced...
Bennett Earns Naismith Coach of the Year Award
M. Basketball | 04/01/2018
Virginia's Tony Bennett was named the 2018 Werner Ladder Naismith Men's College Coach of the Year...
Bennett Named AP Coach of the Year
M. Basketball | 03/29/2018
Virginia's Tony Bennett was named the Associated Press (AP) Men's College Basketball Coach of the...
- Online Stores