March 4, 2017
Virginia Game Notes
No. 23 Virginia 67, Pittsburgh 42
Saturday, March 4, 2017
- Today’s win was UVA’s 150 victory in John Paul Jones Arena (150-40 .790). The Cavaliers are 112-24 under Tony Bennett and 77-9 over the past five seasons.
- UVA is 41-4 in ACC home games over the last five seasons
- UVA held Pitt without a field goal for the first 10:59 of the game (UVA led 19-2). The Panthers started 0-11 from the field and 0-7 from behind the three-point stripe.
- The Cavaliers dominated points off turnovers today. UVA scored 27 points following 14 Pitt miscues while the Panthers had no points off seven UVA turnovers.
- Pitt’s 15 first-half points were the fewest by an ACC opponent against Virginia since the Cavaliers held Louisville to 14 points on Jan. 30, 2016 (at Louisville). It was Pitt’s lowest first half total since scoring 18 vs. Louisville on Jan. 24. (at Pittsburgh).
- UVA is 64-2 when holding opponents to fewer than 50 points under Tony Bennett
- UVA held Pitt to its lowest scoring total (42) this season. The Panthers’ previous low was 46 points vs. Miami on Jan. 14.
- Virginia is 12-4 all-time against Pitt, including a 5-1 record in Charlottesville, and has won eight of the last nine meetings.
- The Cavaliers’ 25-point victory was UVA’s largest win margin in the series since beating the Panthers 92-60 at University Hall on Feb. 17, 1968.
- When UVA led 59-32 (Perrantes 3-pointer at 4:16) it marked the largest lead by the Cavaliers against an ACC opponent this season.
- In their last two games, UVA has held its opponents to 85 combined points. That is the fewest in back-to-back games since the 2014-15 season when UVA held Florida State (41) and Wake Forest (34) to a combined 75 points.
- Today’s win gives UVA 11-or-more ACC wins for the fifth straight season.
- Today’s win gives UVA 21-or-more wins for the seventh straight year.
- Today’s victory gives UVA 12-or-more home wins for the sixth straight season.
- London Perrantes made his 130th career start (all-time leader in program history). He was recognized in a pre-game ceremony as the only senior on this year’s team.
- Perrantes is joined by Jack Salt and Devon Hall as players to start all 30 regular season games this season.
- Freshman Ty Jerome started for the third consecutive game.
- London Perrantes picked up his 106th career win at UVA, tying him for sixth all-time with former teammate Evan Nolte (2013-16).
- London Perrantes (22) scored 20-or-more points for the fifth time this season.
- With his 22 points today, London Perrantes moved into 38th place on UVA’s all-time scoring list with 1,167 career points.
- Ty Jerome scored 13 points to register his third double-digit scoring total this season.
- Jack Salt set a career high with nine rebounds.
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Salt Named to New Zealand FIBA World Cup Qualifier Team
M. Basketball | 6/23/2018
Virginia's Jack Salt has been named to the New Zealand National Team for a pair of FIBA World Cup...
Hall Selected by OKC in Second Round of 2018 NBA Draft
M. Basketball | 6/21/2018
Former Virginia guard Devon Hall was selected by the Oklahoma City Thunder in the second round of...
Jeff White: Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost Time
M. Basketball | 6/19/2018
A 7-1 forward who's coming shoulder surgery., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's...
Jeff White: Hall Working to Raise NBA Stock
M. Basketball | 6/12/2018
By the time the NBA draft arrives June 21, former UVA guard Devon Hall will have worked out for...
Virginia to Play at Maryland in 2018 ACC/B1G Challenge
M. Basketball | 6/1/2018
Virginia will play at former ACC rival Maryland in the 20th ACC-B1G Challenge on Wednesday, Nov. 28.
UVA Men’s Basketball Adds Caffaro and Key
M. Basketball | 5/18/2018
Virginia men's head basketball coach Tony Bennett announced May 18 the additions of center...
Jeff White: Vandross Eager to Contribute in New Role
M. Basketball | 05/02/2018
Ron Sanchez's departure created a vacancy on the UVA staff that Tony Bennett filled by promoting ...
UVA Sweeps Top VaSID Honors
M. Basketball | 04/20/2018
Tony Bennett (coach), Kyle Guy (player) and De'Andre Hunter (rookie) earned top VaSID University...
- Online Stores