March 4, 2017
Virginia Game Notes
No. 23 Virginia 67, Pittsburgh 42
Saturday, March 4, 2017
- Today’s win was UVA’s 150 victory in John Paul Jones Arena (150-40 .790). The Cavaliers are 112-24 under Tony Bennett and 77-9 over the past five seasons.
- UVA is 41-4 in ACC home games over the last five seasons
- UVA held Pitt without a field goal for the first 10:59 of the game (UVA led 19-2). The Panthers started 0-11 from the field and 0-7 from behind the three-point stripe.
- The Cavaliers dominated points off turnovers today. UVA scored 27 points following 14 Pitt miscues while the Panthers had no points off seven UVA turnovers.
- Pitt’s 15 first-half points were the fewest by an ACC opponent against Virginia since the Cavaliers held Louisville to 14 points on Jan. 30, 2016 (at Louisville). It was Pitt’s lowest first half total since scoring 18 vs. Louisville on Jan. 24. (at Pittsburgh).
- UVA is 64-2 when holding opponents to fewer than 50 points under Tony Bennett
- UVA held Pitt to its lowest scoring total (42) this season. The Panthers’ previous low was 46 points vs. Miami on Jan. 14.
- Virginia is 12-4 all-time against Pitt, including a 5-1 record in Charlottesville, and has won eight of the last nine meetings.
- The Cavaliers’ 25-point victory was UVA’s largest win margin in the series since beating the Panthers 92-60 at University Hall on Feb. 17, 1968.
- When UVA led 59-32 (Perrantes 3-pointer at 4:16) it marked the largest lead by the Cavaliers against an ACC opponent this season.
- In their last two games, UVA has held its opponents to 85 combined points. That is the fewest in back-to-back games since the 2014-15 season when UVA held Florida State (41) and Wake Forest (34) to a combined 75 points.
- Today’s win gives UVA 11-or-more ACC wins for the fifth straight season.
- Today’s win gives UVA 21-or-more wins for the seventh straight year.
- Today’s victory gives UVA 12-or-more home wins for the sixth straight season.
- London Perrantes made his 130th career start (all-time leader in program history). He was recognized in a pre-game ceremony as the only senior on this year’s team.
- Perrantes is joined by Jack Salt and Devon Hall as players to start all 30 regular season games this season.
- Freshman Ty Jerome started for the third consecutive game.
- London Perrantes picked up his 106th career win at UVA, tying him for sixth all-time with former teammate Evan Nolte (2013-16).
- London Perrantes (22) scored 20-or-more points for the fifth time this season.
- With his 22 points today, London Perrantes moved into 38th place on UVA’s all-time scoring list with 1,167 career points.
- Ty Jerome scored 13 points to register his third double-digit scoring total this season.
- Jack Salt set a career high with nine rebounds.
'Hoos Eager to Seize Opportunity Friday NightFootball11/21/17At 8 p.m. Friday, in the annual battle for the Commonwealth Clash, UVA (6-5 overall, 3-4 ACC) meets Virginia Tech (8-3, 4-3) at Scott Stadium.Hunter Dazzles as 'Hoos Stay UnbeatenMen's Basketball11/19/17Behind a career-high 23 points from redshirt freshman De'Andre Hunter, unbeaten Virginia defeated Monmouth 73-53 on Sunday at JPJ.'Hoos Rue Missed OpportunityFootball11/18/17On an afternoon when Kurt Benkert threw four touchdown passes, Virginia twice built 14-point leads before falling 44-28 to No. 2 Miami at Hard Rock Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia-Vanderbilt Clash on Thanksgiving Day
M. Basketball | 11/21/2017
Virginia (4-0) meets Vanderbilt in the semifinals of the NIT Season Tip-Off on Thanksgiving Day (...
Jeff White: Hunter Dazzles as 'Hoos Stay Unbeaten
M. Basketball | 11/19/2017
Behind a career-high 23 points from redshirt freshman De'Andre Hunter, Virginia defeated Monmouth...
Hunter's 23 points lifts Virginia past Monmouth 73-53
M. Basketball | 11/19/2017
Behind a pace-setting, 23 point, eight-rebound performance by redshirt-freshman Deandre Hunter, ...
Virginia Entertains Monmouth on Sunday
M. Basketball | 11/18/2017
Virginia (3-0) hosts Monmouth (2-1) in men’s basketball non-conference action on Sunday (No...
Guy's 29 lead Virginia past VCU, 76-67
M. Basketball | 11/17/2017
Kyle Guy scored 29 points and hit two 3-pointers in the final three minutes Friday, leading...
Virginia Plays at VCU Friday
M. Basketball | 11/16/2017
Virginia meets VCU for the first time since posting a 74-57 win over the Rams during the 2014-15 ...
Jeff White: Redshirt Freshmen Impress in Emphatic Win
M. Basketball | 11/14/2017
Jay Huff and De'Andre Hunter combined for 29 points Monday night in Virginia's 93-49 victory over...
Huff Shines in Debut as Virginia Rolls Austin Peay, 93-49
M. Basketball | 11/13/2017
Four players scored in double-figures for Virginia as the Cavaliers defeated Austin Peay 93-49 on...
- Online Stores