March 4, 2017
Virginia Game Notes
No. 23 Virginia 67, Pittsburgh 42
Saturday, March 4, 2017
- Today’s win was UVA’s 150 victory in John Paul Jones Arena (150-40 .790). The Cavaliers are 112-24 under Tony Bennett and 77-9 over the past five seasons.
- UVA is 41-4 in ACC home games over the last five seasons
- UVA held Pitt without a field goal for the first 10:59 of the game (UVA led 19-2). The Panthers started 0-11 from the field and 0-7 from behind the three-point stripe.
- The Cavaliers dominated points off turnovers today. UVA scored 27 points following 14 Pitt miscues while the Panthers had no points off seven UVA turnovers.
- Pitt’s 15 first-half points were the fewest by an ACC opponent against Virginia since the Cavaliers held Louisville to 14 points on Jan. 30, 2016 (at Louisville). It was Pitt’s lowest first half total since scoring 18 vs. Louisville on Jan. 24. (at Pittsburgh).
- UVA is 64-2 when holding opponents to fewer than 50 points under Tony Bennett
- UVA held Pitt to its lowest scoring total (42) this season. The Panthers’ previous low was 46 points vs. Miami on Jan. 14.
- Virginia is 12-4 all-time against Pitt, including a 5-1 record in Charlottesville, and has won eight of the last nine meetings.
- The Cavaliers’ 25-point victory was UVA’s largest win margin in the series since beating the Panthers 92-60 at University Hall on Feb. 17, 1968.
- When UVA led 59-32 (Perrantes 3-pointer at 4:16) it marked the largest lead by the Cavaliers against an ACC opponent this season.
- In their last two games, UVA has held its opponents to 85 combined points. That is the fewest in back-to-back games since the 2014-15 season when UVA held Florida State (41) and Wake Forest (34) to a combined 75 points.
- Today’s win gives UVA 11-or-more ACC wins for the fifth straight season.
- Today’s win gives UVA 21-or-more wins for the seventh straight year.
- Today’s victory gives UVA 12-or-more home wins for the sixth straight season.
- London Perrantes made his 130th career start (all-time leader in program history). He was recognized in a pre-game ceremony as the only senior on this year’s team.
- Perrantes is joined by Jack Salt and Devon Hall as players to start all 30 regular season games this season.
- Freshman Ty Jerome started for the third consecutive game.
- London Perrantes picked up his 106th career win at UVA, tying him for sixth all-time with former teammate Evan Nolte (2013-16).
- London Perrantes (22) scored 20-or-more points for the fifth time this season.
- With his 22 points today, London Perrantes moved into 38th place on UVA’s all-time scoring list with 1,167 career points.
- Ty Jerome scored 13 points to register his third double-digit scoring total this season.
- Jack Salt set a career high with nine rebounds.
No. 1 Cavaliers Reach Another MilestoneMen's Basketball2/22/18Top-ranked Virginia clinched the No. 1 seed in the ACC tournament Tuesday night with a hard-earned victory over Georgia Tech at John Paul Jones Arena.New Era Begins for Davenport FieldBaseball2/21/18The expanded Davenport Field was unveiled Tuesday, and a crowd of 3,709, the largest ever for a UVA home opener, turned out for the game.Davenport Field Ready for UnveilingBaseball2/20/18No. 15 Virginia hosts VMI at 5 p.m. Tuesday at Davenport Field, which has been expanded and upgraded since the end of last season.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: No. 1 Cavaliers Reach Another Milestone
M. Basketball | 2/22/2018
Top-ranked Virginia clinched the No. 1 seed in the ACC tournament Tuesday night with a hard-earne...
Jerome leads No. 1 Virginia past Georgia Tech, 65-54
M. Basketball | 2/21/2018
Ty Jerome scored 18 points and top-ranked Virginia held off depleted Georgia Tech 65-54 on...
Top-Ranked Virginia Hosts Georgia Tech Wednesday
M. Basketball | 2/20/2018
Top-ranked Virginia (24-2, 13-1 ACC) hosts Georgia Tech on Wednesday, Feb. 21. Tipoff at John...
Hunter Named Co-ACC Rookie of the Week
M. Basketball | 2/19/2018
Virginia redshirt freshman guard De'Andre Hunter has been voted the ACC Men's Basketball Co-Rooki...
Jeff White: Hard-Earned Break Next for No. 1 'Hoos
M. Basketball | 2/14/2018
No. 1 Virginia, which defeated ACC rival Miami 59-50 late Tuesday night in Coral Gables, Fla.,...
No. 1 Virginia beats Miami 59-50
M. Basketball | 2/13/2018
No. 1 Virginia looked the part Tuesday, never trailing and holding Miami to 38 percent shooting...
Top-Ranked Virginia Plays at Miami Tuesday
M. Basketball | 02/12/2018
No. 1 Virginia (23-2, 12-1 ACC) plays at Miami (18-6, 7-5 ACC) on Tuesday, Feb. 13. Tipoff at...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Absorb Painful Lessons in Defeat
M. Basketball | 02/11/2018
Next up for No. 2 Virginia, whose 15-game winning streak ended Saturday night at John Paul Jones ...
- Online Stores