March 4, 2017
Virginia Game Notes
No. 23 Virginia 67, Pittsburgh 42
Saturday, March 4, 2017
- Today’s win was UVA’s 150 victory in John Paul Jones Arena (150-40 .790). The Cavaliers are 112-24 under Tony Bennett and 77-9 over the past five seasons.
- UVA is 41-4 in ACC home games over the last five seasons
- UVA held Pitt without a field goal for the first 10:59 of the game (UVA led 19-2). The Panthers started 0-11 from the field and 0-7 from behind the three-point stripe.
- The Cavaliers dominated points off turnovers today. UVA scored 27 points following 14 Pitt miscues while the Panthers had no points off seven UVA turnovers.
- Pitt’s 15 first-half points were the fewest by an ACC opponent against Virginia since the Cavaliers held Louisville to 14 points on Jan. 30, 2016 (at Louisville). It was Pitt’s lowest first half total since scoring 18 vs. Louisville on Jan. 24. (at Pittsburgh).
- UVA is 64-2 when holding opponents to fewer than 50 points under Tony Bennett
- UVA held Pitt to its lowest scoring total (42) this season. The Panthers’ previous low was 46 points vs. Miami on Jan. 14.
- Virginia is 12-4 all-time against Pitt, including a 5-1 record in Charlottesville, and has won eight of the last nine meetings.
- The Cavaliers’ 25-point victory was UVA’s largest win margin in the series since beating the Panthers 92-60 at University Hall on Feb. 17, 1968.
- When UVA led 59-32 (Perrantes 3-pointer at 4:16) it marked the largest lead by the Cavaliers against an ACC opponent this season.
- In their last two games, UVA has held its opponents to 85 combined points. That is the fewest in back-to-back games since the 2014-15 season when UVA held Florida State (41) and Wake Forest (34) to a combined 75 points.
- Today’s win gives UVA 11-or-more ACC wins for the fifth straight season.
- Today’s win gives UVA 21-or-more wins for the seventh straight year.
- Today’s victory gives UVA 12-or-more home wins for the sixth straight season.
- London Perrantes made his 130th career start (all-time leader in program history). He was recognized in a pre-game ceremony as the only senior on this year’s team.
- Perrantes is joined by Jack Salt and Devon Hall as players to start all 30 regular season games this season.
- Freshman Ty Jerome started for the third consecutive game.
- London Perrantes picked up his 106th career win at UVA, tying him for sixth all-time with former teammate Evan Nolte (2013-16).
- London Perrantes (22) scored 20-or-more points for the fifth time this season.
- With his 22 points today, London Perrantes moved into 38th place on UVA’s all-time scoring list with 1,167 career points.
- Ty Jerome scored 13 points to register his third double-digit scoring total this season.
- Jack Salt set a career high with nine rebounds.
Cavalier Tennis Programs Joining ForcesMen's Tennis6/21/17UVA's new head tennis coaches -- Andres Pedroso for the men and Sara O'Leary for the women -- want their programs to work closely together.Catching Up With Cherie Greer BrownWomen's Lacrosse6/19/17A 1994 graduate of UVA, where she was a three-time first-team All-American, the former Cherie Greer ranks among the finest players in lacrosse history.European Trip Strengthens Team's BondsWomen's Soccer6/14/17The Virginia women's soccer team recently returned from a trip to Europe, where the Cavaliers played two games in France and one in Germany.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia to Host Wisconsin in 2017 Big Ten/ACC Challenge
M. Basketball | 6/8/2017
The Cavaliers and Badgers meet for the third time in the Challenge and fifth time overall. UVA is...
Jeff White: Cavalier Men's Basketball Notebook
M. Basketball | 5/16/2017
The Cavaliers are heading into their ninth season under head coach Tony Bennett, who has led them...
UVA Men’s Basketball Signs Badocchi to NLI
M. Basketball | 5/11/2017
The Virginia men's basketball program signed forward Francesco Badocchi (Milan, Italy) to a...
Huff to Tour Czech Republic and Poland with AIA
M. Basketball | 5/4/2017
Virginia redshirt freshman Jay Huff (Durham, N.C.) will embark on a 13-day competitive basketball...
Perrantes Named VaSID All-State First Team
M. Basketball | 4/20/2017
Virginia’s London Perrantes (Los Angeles) was honored by the Virginia Sports Information...
Perrantes To Compete in Reese's College All-Star Game
M. Basketball | 3/28/2017
London Perrantes has been selected by the NABC to play in the 2017 Reese's Division I College All...
Thompson Departing Virginia Men's Basketball Program
M. Basketball | 03/23/2017
Virginia men's basketball head coach Tony Bennett announced March 23 that redshirt junior guard...
Shayok and Reuter Leaving UVA Men's Basketball Program
M. Basketball | 03/22/2017
Virginia men's basketball head coach Tony Bennett announced Wednesday (March 22) that junior...
- Online Stores