March 6, 2016
Virginia Game Notes
No. 4 Virginia 68, No. 11 Louisville 46
Saturday, March 5, 2016
• Virginia finished undefeated at home (15-0) for the first time since 1981-82 (12-0)
• Virginia senior class posted its 107th win, third most in program history
• Virginia's 22-point win is its most lopsided against a ranked opponent since a 92-67 win over No. 6 Maryland on March 5, 1995 (also assistant coach Jason Williford's Senior Day at UVA)
• UVA has 45 ACC wins over the last three years (second most in ACC history - Duke, 46, 1998-2000)
• Virginia is 8-4 all-time against Louisville, including a 3-1 record in Charlottesville; UVA head coach Tony Bennett is 3-1 career against UofL
• Virginia is 35-1 in home ACC games the last four seasons; it is the best mark in ACC history with one loss (Duke 33-1 from 1962-64)
• Virginia has won 20 straight home games dating to the 2014-15 season; the streak dates to a 69-63 loss to Duke on Jan. 31, 2015
• UVA is 138-36 in 10 seasons at John Paul Jones Arena
• This was Tony Bennett's 100th win at JPJ (100-20)
• Virginia is 6-1 against ranked opponents this season; the six wins marks UVA's most since six in 1982-83
• Virginia is 55-2 when holding opponents under 50 points in the Tony Bennett era (5-0 this season)
• UVA shot 51 percent and is 11-4 this year when breaking the 50-percent mark (7-1 in ACC play)
• Virginia shot 30 free throws, matching a season high (30 against Villanova)
• Virginia handed Louisville its largest two defeats of the season (16 and 22); the 22-point defeat was Louisville's worst since Jan. 10, 2012 at Providence (90-59)
• Louisville's two lowest-scoring halves of the season both came against UVA (14 in first half on Jan. 30, 17 in first half tonight)
• Mike Tobey notched his third career double-double with 15 points and 20 rebounds
• Tobey grabbed a career-high 20 rebounds. He matched his season high with eight boards just under 11 minutes into the game.
• Tobey's 20 rebounds marked the most by a UVA player since Travis Watson had 20 against Wofford on Jan. 2, 2003
• Tobey's 20 rebounds marked the most in John Paul Jones Arena history (Mike Scott, 18)
• Evan Nolte hit a pair of three-pointers early in the first half; he had not hit more than one in a game since hitting three against Florida State on March 12, 2015, in the ACC Tournament
• Malcolm Brogdon's streak of 42 consecutive made free throws came to an end with his miss in the second half
• With 1,687 career points, Brogdon moved past J.R. Reynolds (1,683 points, 2004-07) for 12th on Virginia's all-time scoring list
• Senior Caid Kirven hit his first career three-pointer late in the second half (two career attempts)
Cavaliers Keep Rolling at JPJMen's Basketball1/15/18No. 3 Virginia remained atop the ACC standings with a 68-51 victory over NC State at John Paul Jones Arena on Sunday night.Singh Back in Familiar SurroundingsMen's Tennis1/12/18Former UVA tennis star Sanam Singh is back at his alma mater as the volunteer assistant coach in the men's program.Hayes Making Immediate ImpactWrestling1/10/18Redshirt freshman Louie Hayes is ranked No. 13 nationally at 125 pounds for Virginia, which competes at the Virginia Duals this weekend in Hampton.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: No. 3 Cavaliers Keep Rolling at JPJ
M. Basketball | 1/15/2018
No. 3 Virginia remained atop the ACC standings with a 68-51 victory over NC State at John Paul...
Hall's 25 lead No. 3 Virginia past NC State 68-51
M. Basketball | 1/14/2018
Devon Hall scored a career-best 25 points and No. 3 Virginia pushed its winning streak to eight ...
No. 3 Virginia Hosts NC State Sunday
M. Basketball | 1/12/2018
No. 3 Virginia (15-1, 4-0 ACC) hosts NC State (12-5, 2-2 ACC) in ACC men’s basketball...
Jeff White: Hard-Earned Win Extends Cavaliers' Streak
M. Basketball | 1/10/2018
No. 3 Virginia, which stretched its winning streak to seven games Tuesday night with a 68-61...
Guy's 22 points Push No. 3 Virginia Past Syracuse 68-61
M. Basketball | 1/9/2018
Kyle Guy scored 22 points, De'Andre Hunter added 15 and No. 3 Virginia beat Syracuse 68-61 on...
No. 3 Virginia Entertains Syracuse Tuesday
M. Basketball | 1/8/2018
No. 3 Virginia (14-1, 3-0 ACC) hosts Syracuse (12-4, 1-2 ACC) in ACC men’s basketball...
Coach's Corner with Tony Bennett Airs Tonight
M. Basketball | 01/15/2018
Coach's Corner with Tony Bennett will air tonight on the Virginia Sports Radio Network.
Jeff White: 'Hoos Lock Down Heels Again at JPJ
M. Basketball | 01/06/2018
In a nationally televised ACC game at JPJ, No. 8 Virginia defeated No. 12 North Carolina 61-49 on...
- Online Stores