March 6, 2016
Virginia Game Notes
No. 4 Virginia 68, No. 11 Louisville 46
Saturday, March 5, 2016
• Virginia finished undefeated at home (15-0) for the first time since 1981-82 (12-0)
• Virginia senior class posted its 107th win, third most in program history
• Virginia's 22-point win is its most lopsided against a ranked opponent since a 92-67 win over No. 6 Maryland on March 5, 1995 (also assistant coach Jason Williford's Senior Day at UVA)
• UVA has 45 ACC wins over the last three years (second most in ACC history - Duke, 46, 1998-2000)
• Virginia is 8-4 all-time against Louisville, including a 3-1 record in Charlottesville; UVA head coach Tony Bennett is 3-1 career against UofL
• Virginia is 35-1 in home ACC games the last four seasons; it is the best mark in ACC history with one loss (Duke 33-1 from 1962-64)
• Virginia has won 20 straight home games dating to the 2014-15 season; the streak dates to a 69-63 loss to Duke on Jan. 31, 2015
• UVA is 138-36 in 10 seasons at John Paul Jones Arena
• This was Tony Bennett's 100th win at JPJ (100-20)
• Virginia is 6-1 against ranked opponents this season; the six wins marks UVA's most since six in 1982-83
• Virginia is 55-2 when holding opponents under 50 points in the Tony Bennett era (5-0 this season)
• UVA shot 51 percent and is 11-4 this year when breaking the 50-percent mark (7-1 in ACC play)
• Virginia shot 30 free throws, matching a season high (30 against Villanova)
• Virginia handed Louisville its largest two defeats of the season (16 and 22); the 22-point defeat was Louisville's worst since Jan. 10, 2012 at Providence (90-59)
• Louisville's two lowest-scoring halves of the season both came against UVA (14 in first half on Jan. 30, 17 in first half tonight)
• Mike Tobey notched his third career double-double with 15 points and 20 rebounds
• Tobey grabbed a career-high 20 rebounds. He matched his season high with eight boards just under 11 minutes into the game.
• Tobey's 20 rebounds marked the most by a UVA player since Travis Watson had 20 against Wofford on Jan. 2, 2003
• Tobey's 20 rebounds marked the most in John Paul Jones Arena history (Mike Scott, 18)
• Evan Nolte hit a pair of three-pointers early in the first half; he had not hit more than one in a game since hitting three against Florida State on March 12, 2015, in the ACC Tournament
• Malcolm Brogdon's streak of 42 consecutive made free throws came to an end with his miss in the second half
• With 1,687 career points, Brogdon moved past J.R. Reynolds (1,683 points, 2004-07) for 12th on Virginia's all-time scoring list
• Senior Caid Kirven hit his first career three-pointer late in the second half (two career attempts)
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost Time
M. Basketball | 6/19/2018
A 7-1 forward who's coming shoulder surgery., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's...
Jeff White: Hall Working to Raise NBA Stock
M. Basketball | 6/12/2018
By the time the NBA draft arrives June 21, former UVA guard Devon Hall will have worked out for...
Virginia to Play at Maryland in 2018 ACC/B1G Challenge
M. Basketball | 6/1/2018
Virginia will play at former ACC rival Maryland in the 20th ACC-B1G Challenge on Wednesday, Nov. 28.
UVA Men’s Basketball Adds Caffaro and Key
M. Basketball | 5/18/2018
Virginia men's head basketball coach Tony Bennett announced May 18 the additions of center...
Jeff White: Vandross Eager to Contribute in New Role
M. Basketball | 5/2/2018
Ron Sanchez's departure created a vacancy on the UVA staff that Tony Bennett filled by promoting ...
UVA Sweeps Top VaSID Honors
M. Basketball | 4/20/2018
Tony Bennett (coach), Kyle Guy (player) and De'Andre Hunter (rookie) earned top VaSID University...
Bennett Promotes Williford and Vandross
M. Basketball | 04/17/2018
Jason Williford has been promoted to associate head coach and Orlando Vandross has been elevated ...
ACC Opponents Announced for 2018-19
M. Basketball | 04/10/2018
The ACC announced Tuesday (April 10) the men's basketball league opponents for all 15...
- Online Stores