March 16, 2017
Virginia Game Notes
No. 5 Virginia 76, No. 12 UNCW 71
Thursday, March 16, 2017
NCAA Tournament Notes
- Virginia is 29-20 all-time in the ACC Tournament, including 7-4 in five appearances under Tony Bennett
- Virginia reached the round of 32 for the fourth straight season
- This was the first-ever NCAA Tournament meeting between UVA and UNCW
- Bennett is 10-6 in seven NCAA Tournament appearances
- Marial Shayok (23) and London Perrantes (24) each recorded their scoring highs in an NCAA Tournament game
- UVA had two 20-point scorers in an NCAA Tournament game for the first time since J.R. Reynolds (28) and Sean Singletary (23) against Albany 10 years ago today (3/16/07)
- Virginia is 4-0 all-time against UNCW
- UVA is 18-6 when leading at halftime this year
- UVA's bench outscored UNCW's reserves, 28-2, marking the 25th time this year the Cavaliers' bench outscored the opposing bench
- UVA was out-rebounded 40-33 and is 5-6 this season when out-rebounded
- With Marial Shayok (23) and London Perrantes (24), UVA had two 20-point scorers in a game for the first time this season
- UVA gave up 10 3-pointers, marking the third time this year the Cavaliers gave up 10 or more threes (10 vs. Pitt in ACC Tournament, 13 at Pitt)
- UVA improved to 95-6 when scoring at least 70 points under Tony Bennett
- UVA rallied from a 15-point first-half deficit, marking its second-largest comeback in a win this year (16 in first half vs. Ohio State)
- UVA scored its most points in regulation since a 79-point effort against Wake Forest (Jan. 8)
- UVA's eight turnovers matched the fewest by a UNCW opponent this year (William & Mary with eight on Jan. 28)
- Perrantes made his 133rd career start, tops all-time in program history; Perrantes also appeared in his 137th career game, one off the program record (Mike Tobey, 2013-16)
- Perrantes scored 24 points, his most since a 25-point effort at Clemson on Jan. 14
- Shayok scored a career-high 23 points, topping his previous high of 19, set on Jan. 21 against Georgia Tech
- Shayok matched a career high with three 3-pointers (Nov. 20, 2015, vs. Long Beach State)
- Shayok scored in double figures for the 16th time this year
- Darius Thompson blocked a career-high four shots, topping his previous high of three, set on Nov. 30, 2016, against Ohio State
- Thompson made his 14th start of the season, but his first since the Florida State game on Dec. 31
- Thompson scored 10 points, reaching double figures for the second straight game
Cavalier Tennis Programs Joining ForcesMen's Tennis6/21/17UVA's new head tennis coaches -- Andres Pedroso for the men and Sara O'Leary for the women -- want their programs to work closely together.Catching Up With Cherie Greer BrownWomen's Lacrosse6/19/17A 1994 graduate of UVA, where she was a three-time first-team All-American, the former Cherie Greer ranks among the finest players in lacrosse history.European Trip Strengthens Team's BondsWomen's Soccer6/14/17The Virginia women's soccer team recently returned from a trip to Europe, where the Cavaliers played two games in France and one in Germany.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia to Host Wisconsin in 2017 Big Ten/ACC Challenge
M. Basketball | 6/8/2017
The Cavaliers and Badgers meet for the third time in the Challenge and fifth time overall. UVA is...
Jeff White: Cavalier Men's Basketball Notebook
M. Basketball | 5/16/2017
The Cavaliers are heading into their ninth season under head coach Tony Bennett, who has led them...
UVA Men’s Basketball Signs Badocchi to NLI
M. Basketball | 5/11/2017
The Virginia men's basketball program signed forward Francesco Badocchi (Milan, Italy) to a...
Huff to Tour Czech Republic and Poland with AIA
M. Basketball | 5/4/2017
Virginia redshirt freshman Jay Huff (Durham, N.C.) will embark on a 13-day competitive basketball...
Perrantes Named VaSID All-State First Team
M. Basketball | 4/20/2017
Virginia’s London Perrantes (Los Angeles) was honored by the Virginia Sports Information...
Perrantes To Compete in Reese's College All-Star Game
M. Basketball | 3/28/2017
London Perrantes has been selected by the NABC to play in the 2017 Reese's Division I College All...
Thompson Departing Virginia Men's Basketball Program
M. Basketball | 03/23/2017
Virginia men's basketball head coach Tony Bennett announced March 23 that redshirt junior guard...
Shayok and Reuter Leaving UVA Men's Basketball Program
M. Basketball | 03/22/2017
Virginia men's basketball head coach Tony Bennett announced Wednesday (March 22) that junior...
- Online Stores