March 16, 2017
Virginia Game Notes
No. 5 Virginia 76, No. 12 UNCW 71
Thursday, March 16, 2017
NCAA Tournament Notes
- Virginia is 29-20 all-time in the ACC Tournament, including 7-4 in five appearances under Tony Bennett
- Virginia reached the round of 32 for the fourth straight season
- This was the first-ever NCAA Tournament meeting between UVA and UNCW
- Bennett is 10-6 in seven NCAA Tournament appearances
- Marial Shayok (23) and London Perrantes (24) each recorded their scoring highs in an NCAA Tournament game
- UVA had two 20-point scorers in an NCAA Tournament game for the first time since J.R. Reynolds (28) and Sean Singletary (23) against Albany 10 years ago today (3/16/07)
- Virginia is 4-0 all-time against UNCW
- UVA is 18-6 when leading at halftime this year
- UVA's bench outscored UNCW's reserves, 28-2, marking the 25th time this year the Cavaliers' bench outscored the opposing bench
- UVA was out-rebounded 40-33 and is 5-6 this season when out-rebounded
- With Marial Shayok (23) and London Perrantes (24), UVA had two 20-point scorers in a game for the first time this season
- UVA gave up 10 3-pointers, marking the third time this year the Cavaliers gave up 10 or more threes (10 vs. Pitt in ACC Tournament, 13 at Pitt)
- UVA improved to 95-6 when scoring at least 70 points under Tony Bennett
- UVA rallied from a 15-point first-half deficit, marking its second-largest comeback in a win this year (16 in first half vs. Ohio State)
- UVA scored its most points in regulation since a 79-point effort against Wake Forest (Jan. 8)
- UVA's eight turnovers matched the fewest by a UNCW opponent this year (William & Mary with eight on Jan. 28)
- Perrantes made his 133rd career start, tops all-time in program history; Perrantes also appeared in his 137th career game, one off the program record (Mike Tobey, 2013-16)
- Perrantes scored 24 points, his most since a 25-point effort at Clemson on Jan. 14
- Shayok scored a career-high 23 points, topping his previous high of 19, set on Jan. 21 against Georgia Tech
- Shayok matched a career high with three 3-pointers (Nov. 20, 2015, vs. Long Beach State)
- Shayok scored in double figures for the 16th time this year
- Darius Thompson blocked a career-high four shots, topping his previous high of three, set on Nov. 30, 2016, against Ohio State
- Thompson made his 14th start of the season, but his first since the Florida State game on Dec. 31
- Thompson scored 10 points, reaching double figures for the second straight game
Tyson Finds Perfect Fit at UVAWomen's Squash1/18/18Annie Tyson, who also starred in lacrosse in high school, is one of the leaders of the UVA women's squash team.No. 3 Cavaliers Keep Rolling at JPJMen's Basketball1/15/18No. 3 Virginia remained atop the ACC standings with a 68-51 victory over NC State at John Paul Jones Arena on Sunday night.Singh Back in Familiar SurroundingsMen's Tennis1/12/18Former UVA tennis star Sanam Singh is back at his alma mater as the volunteer assistant coach in the men's program.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 2 Virginia Travels to Georgia Tech Thursday
M. Basketball | 1/17/2018
No. 2 Virginia (16-1, 5-0 ACC) hits the road for a game an ACC men’s basketball game at...
Jeff White: No. 3 Cavaliers Keep Rolling at JPJ
M. Basketball | 1/15/2018
No. 3 Virginia remained atop the ACC standings with a 68-51 victory over NC State at John Paul...
Hall's 25 lead No. 3 Virginia past NC State 68-51
M. Basketball | 1/14/2018
Devon Hall scored a career-best 25 points and No. 3 Virginia pushed its winning streak to eight ...
No. 3 Virginia Hosts NC State Sunday
M. Basketball | 1/12/2018
No. 3 Virginia (15-1, 4-0 ACC) hosts NC State (12-5, 2-2 ACC) in ACC men’s basketball...
Jeff White: Hard-Earned Win Extends Cavaliers' Streak
M. Basketball | 1/10/2018
No. 3 Virginia, which stretched its winning streak to seven games Tuesday night with a 68-61...
Guy's 22 points Push No. 3 Virginia Past Syracuse 68-61
M. Basketball | 1/9/2018
Kyle Guy scored 22 points, De'Andre Hunter added 15 and No. 3 Virginia beat Syracuse 68-61 on...
No. 3 Virginia Entertains Syracuse Tuesday
M. Basketball | 01/08/2018
No. 3 Virginia (14-1, 3-0 ACC) hosts Syracuse (12-4, 1-2 ACC) in ACC men’s basketball...
Coach's Corner with Tony Bennett Airs Tonight
M. Basketball | 01/15/2018
Coach's Corner with Tony Bennett will air tonight on the Virginia Sports Radio Network.
- Online Stores