March 16, 2017
Virginia Game Notes
No. 5 Virginia 76, No. 12 UNCW 71
Thursday, March 16, 2017
NCAA Tournament Notes
- Virginia is 29-20 all-time in the ACC Tournament, including 7-4 in five appearances under Tony Bennett
- Virginia reached the round of 32 for the fourth straight season
- This was the first-ever NCAA Tournament meeting between UVA and UNCW
- Bennett is 10-6 in seven NCAA Tournament appearances
- Marial Shayok (23) and London Perrantes (24) each recorded their scoring highs in an NCAA Tournament game
- UVA had two 20-point scorers in an NCAA Tournament game for the first time since J.R. Reynolds (28) and Sean Singletary (23) against Albany 10 years ago today (3/16/07)
- Virginia is 4-0 all-time against UNCW
- UVA is 18-6 when leading at halftime this year
- UVA's bench outscored UNCW's reserves, 28-2, marking the 25th time this year the Cavaliers' bench outscored the opposing bench
- UVA was out-rebounded 40-33 and is 5-6 this season when out-rebounded
- With Marial Shayok (23) and London Perrantes (24), UVA had two 20-point scorers in a game for the first time this season
- UVA gave up 10 3-pointers, marking the third time this year the Cavaliers gave up 10 or more threes (10 vs. Pitt in ACC Tournament, 13 at Pitt)
- UVA improved to 95-6 when scoring at least 70 points under Tony Bennett
- UVA rallied from a 15-point first-half deficit, marking its second-largest comeback in a win this year (16 in first half vs. Ohio State)
- UVA scored its most points in regulation since a 79-point effort against Wake Forest (Jan. 8)
- UVA's eight turnovers matched the fewest by a UNCW opponent this year (William & Mary with eight on Jan. 28)
- Perrantes made his 133rd career start, tops all-time in program history; Perrantes also appeared in his 137th career game, one off the program record (Mike Tobey, 2013-16)
- Perrantes scored 24 points, his most since a 25-point effort at Clemson on Jan. 14
- Shayok scored a career-high 23 points, topping his previous high of 19, set on Jan. 21 against Georgia Tech
- Shayok matched a career high with three 3-pointers (Nov. 20, 2015, vs. Long Beach State)
- Shayok scored in double figures for the 16th time this year
- Darius Thompson blocked a career-high four shots, topping his previous high of three, set on Nov. 30, 2016, against Ohio State
- Thompson made his 14th start of the season, but his first since the Florida State game on Dec. 31
- Thompson scored 10 points, reaching double figures for the second straight game
'Hoos Rue Missed OpportunityFootball11/18/17On an afternoon when Kurt Benkert threw four touchdown passes, Virginia twice built 14-point leads before falling 44-28 to No. 2 Miami at Hard Rock Stadium.Cavalier Football Notebook -- Miami WeekFootball11/16/17Two regular-season games remain for Virginia (6-4 overall, 3-3 ACC), which plays No. 2 Miami (9-0, 6-0) at noon Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium.Torres Makes Most of Learning OpportunityWomen's Soccer11/15/17Freshman Taryn Torres has scored a team-high eight goals for Virginia, which meets Pepperdine in the NCAA tourney's second round Friday night in Los Angeles.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Hunter's 23 points lifts Virginia past Monmouth 75-53
M. Basketball | 11/19/2017
Behind a pace-setting, 23 point, eight-rebound performance by redshirt-freshman Deandre Hunter, ...
Virginia Entertains Monmouth on Sunday
M. Basketball | 11/18/2017
Virginia (3-0) hosts Monmouth (2-1) in men’s basketball non-conference action on Sunday (No...
Guy's 29 lead Virginia past VCU, 76-67
M. Basketball | 11/17/2017
Kyle Guy scored 29 points and hit two 3-pointers in the final three minutes Friday, leading...
Virginia Plays at VCU Friday
M. Basketball | 11/16/2017
Virginia meets VCU for the first time since posting a 74-57 win over the Rams during the 2014-15 ...
Jeff White: Redshirt Freshmen Impress in Emphatic Win
M. Basketball | 11/14/2017
Jay Huff and De'Andre Hunter combined for 29 points Monday night in Virginia's 93-49 victory over...
Huff Shines in Debut as Virginia Rolls Austin Peay, 93-49
M. Basketball | 11/13/2017
Four players scored in double-figures for Virginia as the Cavaliers defeated Austin Peay 93-49 on...
Virginia Hosts Austin Peay on Monday Night
M. Basketball | 11/12/2017
Virginia (1-0) hosts Austin Peay (0-1) in men’s basketball non-conference action on Monday ...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Grind Out Win in Opener
M. Basketball | 11/10/2017
For the second straight year, UVA opened the season with a win over UNC Greensboro. This one was ...
- Online Stores