March 16, 2017
Virginia Game Notes
No. 5 Virginia 76, No. 12 UNCW 71
Thursday, March 16, 2017
NCAA Tournament Notes
- Virginia is 29-20 all-time in the ACC Tournament, including 7-4 in five appearances under Tony Bennett
- Virginia reached the round of 32 for the fourth straight season
- This was the first-ever NCAA Tournament meeting between UVA and UNCW
- Bennett is 10-6 in seven NCAA Tournament appearances
- Marial Shayok (23) and London Perrantes (24) each recorded their scoring highs in an NCAA Tournament game
- UVA had two 20-point scorers in an NCAA Tournament game for the first time since J.R. Reynolds (28) and Sean Singletary (23) against Albany 10 years ago today (3/16/07)
- Virginia is 4-0 all-time against UNCW
- UVA is 18-6 when leading at halftime this year
- UVA's bench outscored UNCW's reserves, 28-2, marking the 25th time this year the Cavaliers' bench outscored the opposing bench
- UVA was out-rebounded 40-33 and is 5-6 this season when out-rebounded
- With Marial Shayok (23) and London Perrantes (24), UVA had two 20-point scorers in a game for the first time this season
- UVA gave up 10 3-pointers, marking the third time this year the Cavaliers gave up 10 or more threes (10 vs. Pitt in ACC Tournament, 13 at Pitt)
- UVA improved to 95-6 when scoring at least 70 points under Tony Bennett
- UVA rallied from a 15-point first-half deficit, marking its second-largest comeback in a win this year (16 in first half vs. Ohio State)
- UVA scored its most points in regulation since a 79-point effort against Wake Forest (Jan. 8)
- UVA's eight turnovers matched the fewest by a UNCW opponent this year (William & Mary with eight on Jan. 28)
- Perrantes made his 133rd career start, tops all-time in program history; Perrantes also appeared in his 137th career game, one off the program record (Mike Tobey, 2013-16)
- Perrantes scored 24 points, his most since a 25-point effort at Clemson on Jan. 14
- Shayok scored a career-high 23 points, topping his previous high of 19, set on Jan. 21 against Georgia Tech
- Shayok matched a career high with three 3-pointers (Nov. 20, 2015, vs. Long Beach State)
- Shayok scored in double figures for the 16th time this year
- Darius Thompson blocked a career-high four shots, topping his previous high of three, set on Nov. 30, 2016, against Ohio State
- Thompson made his 14th start of the season, but his first since the Florida State game on Dec. 31
- Thompson scored 10 points, reaching double figures for the second straight game
Mueller Shining for Surging CavaliersWomen's Lacrosse3/29/17Freshman midfielder Sammy Mueller is the second-leading scorer for No. 15 Virginia, which hosts Oregon on Wednesday night at Klöckner Stadium.Cook Ready To Make Up For Lost TimeFootball3/27/17After missing last season with a heart condition, UVA outside linebacker Malcolm Cook has been cleared to play again.Offensive Line Looking to Raise Its GameFootball3/24/17Guard Jack McDonald and tackle Jack English are the returning starters on the offensive line for Virginia, which starts spring practice Tuesday.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Perrantes To Compete in Reese’s College All-Star Game
M. Basketball | 3/28/2017
London Perrantes has been selected by the NABC to play in the 2017 Reese's Division I College All...
Thompson Departing Virginia Men's Basketball Program
M. Basketball | 3/23/2017
Virginia men's basketball head coach Tony Bennett announced March 23 that redshirt junior guard...
Shayok and Reuter Leaving UVA Men's Basketball Program
M. Basketball | 3/22/2017
Virginia men's basketball head coach Tony Bennett announced Wednesday (March 22) that junior...
Perrantes Named to NABC All-District 2 Second Team
M. Basketball | 3/22/2017
Virginia senior point guard London Perrantes was named to the NABC All-District 2 second team,...
Jeff White: Successful Season Ends on Excruciating Note
M. Basketball | 3/19/2017
Virginia's fourth consecutive appearance in the NCAA tournament ended with a 65-39 second-round...
Virginia Falls to Florida 65-39 in Second Round of the NCAAs
M. Basketball | 3/18/2017
Devin Robinson had 14 points and 11 rebounds, the fifth double-double of his career, and No. 4 ...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Hoping For Another Lift From Thompson
M. Basketball | 03/18/2017
In his first start since Dec. 31, Darius Thompson played a team-high 34 minutes Thursday in...
No. 5 Seed UVA Battles No. 4 Seed Florida on Saturday
M. Basketball | 03/17/2017
No. 5 seed Virginia plays No. 4 seed Florida in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Sat., ...
- Online Stores