March 16, 2017
Virginia Game Notes
No. 5 Virginia 76, No. 12 UNCW 71
Thursday, March 16, 2017
NCAA Tournament Notes
- Virginia is 29-20 all-time in the ACC Tournament, including 7-4 in five appearances under Tony Bennett
- Virginia reached the round of 32 for the fourth straight season
- This was the first-ever NCAA Tournament meeting between UVA and UNCW
- Bennett is 10-6 in seven NCAA Tournament appearances
- Marial Shayok (23) and London Perrantes (24) each recorded their scoring highs in an NCAA Tournament game
- UVA had two 20-point scorers in an NCAA Tournament game for the first time since J.R. Reynolds (28) and Sean Singletary (23) against Albany 10 years ago today (3/16/07)
- Virginia is 4-0 all-time against UNCW
- UVA is 18-6 when leading at halftime this year
- UVA's bench outscored UNCW's reserves, 28-2, marking the 25th time this year the Cavaliers' bench outscored the opposing bench
- UVA was out-rebounded 40-33 and is 5-6 this season when out-rebounded
- With Marial Shayok (23) and London Perrantes (24), UVA had two 20-point scorers in a game for the first time this season
- UVA gave up 10 3-pointers, marking the third time this year the Cavaliers gave up 10 or more threes (10 vs. Pitt in ACC Tournament, 13 at Pitt)
- UVA improved to 95-6 when scoring at least 70 points under Tony Bennett
- UVA rallied from a 15-point first-half deficit, marking its second-largest comeback in a win this year (16 in first half vs. Ohio State)
- UVA scored its most points in regulation since a 79-point effort against Wake Forest (Jan. 8)
- UVA's eight turnovers matched the fewest by a UNCW opponent this year (William & Mary with eight on Jan. 28)
- Perrantes made his 133rd career start, tops all-time in program history; Perrantes also appeared in his 137th career game, one off the program record (Mike Tobey, 2013-16)
- Perrantes scored 24 points, his most since a 25-point effort at Clemson on Jan. 14
- Shayok scored a career-high 23 points, topping his previous high of 19, set on Jan. 21 against Georgia Tech
- Shayok matched a career high with three 3-pointers (Nov. 20, 2015, vs. Long Beach State)
- Shayok scored in double figures for the 16th time this year
- Darius Thompson blocked a career-high four shots, topping his previous high of three, set on Nov. 30, 2016, against Ohio State
- Thompson made his 14th start of the season, but his first since the Florida State game on Dec. 31
- Thompson scored 10 points, reaching double figures for the second straight game
Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.Hall Working to Raise NBA StockMen's Basketball6/12/18By the time the NBA draft arrives on June 21, former UVA guard Devon Hall will have worked out for nearly two-thirds of the league's 30 teams.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost Time
M. Basketball | 6/19/2018
A 7-1 forward who's coming shoulder surgery., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's...
Jeff White: Hall Working to Raise NBA Stock
M. Basketball | 6/12/2018
By the time the NBA draft arrives June 21, former UVA guard Devon Hall will have worked out for...
Virginia to Play at Maryland in 2018 ACC/B1G Challenge
M. Basketball | 6/1/2018
Virginia will play at former ACC rival Maryland in the 20th ACC-B1G Challenge on Wednesday, Nov. 28.
UVA Men’s Basketball Adds Caffaro and Key
M. Basketball | 5/18/2018
Virginia men's head basketball coach Tony Bennett announced May 18 the additions of center...
Jeff White: Vandross Eager to Contribute in New Role
M. Basketball | 5/2/2018
Ron Sanchez's departure created a vacancy on the UVA staff that Tony Bennett filled by promoting ...
UVA Sweeps Top VaSID Honors
M. Basketball | 4/20/2018
Tony Bennett (coach), Kyle Guy (player) and De'Andre Hunter (rookie) earned top VaSID University...
Bennett Promotes Williford and Vandross
M. Basketball | 04/17/2018
Jason Williford has been promoted to associate head coach and Orlando Vandross has been elevated ...
ACC Opponents Announced for 2018-19
M. Basketball | 04/10/2018
The ACC announced Tuesday (April 10) the men's basketball league opponents for all 15...
- Online Stores