March 19, 2017
Virginia Game Notes
No. 4 Florida 65, No. 5 Virginia 39
Saturday, March 18, 2017
NCAA Tournament Notes
• Making its 21st all-time appearance, Virginia is 29-21 all-time in the NCAA Tournament, including 7-5 in five appearances under Tony Bennett
• Virginia reached the round of 32 for the fourth straight season
• Bennett is 10-7 in seven NCAA Tournament appearances
• This was the second NCAA Tournament meeting between UVA and Florida (UF won 71-45 in the first round of the 2012 tournament)
• UVA scored its fewest points in an NCAA tournament game (45 vs. Florida in 2012)
• Virginia’s 17-point first half was UVA’s fewest points in a half in NCAA tournament play (previous was 18 in 2015 vs. Michigan State)
• Virginia concludes the season with a 23-11 record, the Cavaliers’ fifth straight season with 23 or more wins
• Virginia is 1-2 all-time against Florida
• UVA scored a season low in points (previous was 43 at North Carolina on Feb. 18)
• Florida’s 21-0 run during the first and second halves marked the most consecutive points allowed by UVA this year (13 at Villanova on Jan. 29)
• UVA’s scoring drought of 7:55 was its longest of the season (7:11 at Syracuse on Feb. 4)
• UVA’s bench was outscored, 23-10, by Florida’s reserves, marking the ninth time this year the Cavaliers’ bench was outscored by the opposing bench
• Perrantes concluded his UVA career with 1,225 points, 33rd in program history
• Perrantes won 108 games in his UVA career, fifth in program history
• Mamadi Diakite made his first career start
• Diakite scored nine points, his most since a 12-point effort against East Carolina on Dec. 6
• Diakite also set career highs in minutes (29) and was one off his career high in rebounds (7 vs. Yale)
• Jack Salt recorded a career-high with 10 rebounds, topping his previous high of nine (Pitt on March 4)
Cavalier Tennis Programs Joining ForcesMen's Tennis6/21/17UVA's new head tennis coaches -- Andres Pedroso for the men and Sara O'Leary for the women -- want their programs to work closely together.Catching Up With Cherie Greer BrownWomen's Lacrosse6/19/17A 1994 graduate of UVA, where she was a three-time first-team All-American, the former Cherie Greer ranks among the finest players in lacrosse history.European Trip Strengthens Team's BondsWomen's Soccer6/14/17The Virginia women's soccer team recently returned from a trip to Europe, where the Cavaliers played two games in France and one in Germany.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Brogdon Named NBA Rookie of the Year
M. Basketball | 6/26/2017
Former Virginia two-time All-American and current Milwaukee Bucks guard Malcolm Brogdon was named...
Virginia to Host Wisconsin in 2017 Big Ten/ACC Challenge
M. Basketball | 6/8/2017
The Cavaliers and Badgers meet for the third time in the Challenge and fifth time overall. UVA is...
Jeff White: Cavalier Men's Basketball Notebook
M. Basketball | 5/16/2017
The Cavaliers are heading into their ninth season under head coach Tony Bennett, who has led them...
UVA Men’s Basketball Signs Badocchi to NLI
M. Basketball | 5/11/2017
The Virginia men's basketball program signed forward Francesco Badocchi (Milan, Italy) to a...
Huff to Tour Czech Republic and Poland with AIA
M. Basketball | 5/4/2017
Virginia redshirt freshman Jay Huff (Durham, N.C.) will embark on a 13-day competitive basketball...
Perrantes Named VaSID All-State First Team
M. Basketball | 4/20/2017
Virginia’s London Perrantes (Los Angeles) was honored by the Virginia Sports Information...
Perrantes To Compete in Reese's College All-Star Game
M. Basketball | 03/28/2017
London Perrantes has been selected by the NABC to play in the 2017 Reese's Division I College All...
Thompson Departing Virginia Men's Basketball Program
M. Basketball | 03/23/2017
Virginia men's basketball head coach Tony Bennett announced March 23 that redshirt junior guard...
- Online Stores