Nov. 15, 2016
No. 8 Virginia 72, St. Francis Brooklyn 32
Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016
• This was UVA’s first-ever game against St. Francis Brooklyn
• Virginia extended its home win streak to 21 games (seventh longest in the nation), dating from Feb. 7, 2015, and has won 42 of its last 43 home contests
• UVA matched its longest win streak at JPJ; the previous 21-game streak was from Dec 21, 2013, to Jan. 22, 2015
• Virginia won its 20th straight home opener; its last home opening defeat was Dec. 7, 1996, a 62-52 loss to Clemson
• UVA is 139-36 in 11 seasons at JPJ, including 101-20 under Tony Bennett
• SFB’s 13 first-half points marked the fewest allowed in a half by UVA since Georgia Tech’s 12-point second half on Jan. 22, 2015 (fewest in a first half since Harvard’s 8-point first half on Dec. 21, 2014)
• UVA is now 56-2 under Tony Bennett when limiting to opponents to fewer than 50 points
• UVA held SFB scoreless for 10:02 in the first half, extending a 15-11 lead to 35-11
• UVA held SFB without a field goal for the final 12:48 of the first half and 14:29 total
• SFB missed 15 straight field-goal attempts to end the first half and 17 total, extending to the second half
• 16 of SFB’s 24 first-half field goals came from 3-point range, including a stretch of 11 straight attempts
• Virginia went 0-for-10 from 3-point range and was held without a 3-pointer for the first time since Nov. 21, 2011, against Drake
• UVA held an opponent to fewer than 40 points for the 15th time in Tony Bennett’s eight seasons
Shared Vision Unites Mendenhall and WilliamsGeneral Release5/17/18Virginia's new athletics director, Carla Williams, has formed a strong working relationship with head football coach Bronco Mendenhall.Lillie Helps Lead Cavaliers' ResurgenceWomen's Golf5/16/18Beth Lillie, one of four freshmen named to the All-ACC team, is second in scoring average for UVA, which plays in the NCAA championships this week.McCarthy's Return Sparks CavaliersBaseball5/15/18After missing 34 games with a wrist injury, junior Jake McCarthy returned to the lineup and helped UVA secure a critical ACC series win over Georgia Tech.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
UVA Men’s Basketball Adds Caffaro and Key
M. Basketball | 5/18/2018
Virginia men's head basketball coach Tony Bennett announced May 18 the additions of center...
Jeff White: Vandross Eager to Contribute in New Role
M. Basketball | 5/2/2018
Ron Sanchez's departure created a vacancy on the UVA staff that Tony Bennett filled by promoting ...
UVA Sweeps Top VaSID Honors
M. Basketball | 4/20/2018
Tony Bennett (coach), Kyle Guy (player) and De'Andre Hunter (rookie) earned top VaSID University...
Bennett Promotes Williford and Vandross
M. Basketball | 4/17/2018
Jason Williford has been promoted to associate head coach and Orlando Vandross has been elevated ...
ACC Opponents Announced for 2018-19
M. Basketball | 4/10/2018
The ACC announced Tuesday (April 10) the men's basketball league opponents for all 15...
Bennett Adds Another Coach of the Year Award
M. Basketball | 4/1/2018
Virginia’s Tony Bennett was named the 2018 NABC Division I Coach of the Year, announced...
Bennett Earns Naismith Coach of the Year Award
M. Basketball | 04/01/2018
Virginia's Tony Bennett was named the 2018 Werner Ladder Naismith Men's College Coach of the Year...
Bennett Named AP Coach of the Year
M. Basketball | 03/29/2018
Virginia's Tony Bennett was named the Associated Press (AP) Men's College Basketball Coach of the...
- Online Stores