Nov. 15, 2016
No. 8 Virginia 72, St. Francis Brooklyn 32
Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016
• This was UVA’s first-ever game against St. Francis Brooklyn
• Virginia extended its home win streak to 21 games (seventh longest in the nation), dating from Feb. 7, 2015, and has won 42 of its last 43 home contests
• UVA matched its longest win streak at JPJ; the previous 21-game streak was from Dec 21, 2013, to Jan. 22, 2015
• Virginia won its 20th straight home opener; its last home opening defeat was Dec. 7, 1996, a 62-52 loss to Clemson
• UVA is 139-36 in 11 seasons at JPJ, including 101-20 under Tony Bennett
• SFB’s 13 first-half points marked the fewest allowed in a half by UVA since Georgia Tech’s 12-point second half on Jan. 22, 2015 (fewest in a first half since Harvard’s 8-point first half on Dec. 21, 2014)
• UVA is now 56-2 under Tony Bennett when limiting to opponents to fewer than 50 points
• UVA held SFB scoreless for 10:02 in the first half, extending a 15-11 lead to 35-11
• UVA held SFB without a field goal for the final 12:48 of the first half and 14:29 total
• SFB missed 15 straight field-goal attempts to end the first half and 17 total, extending to the second half
• 16 of SFB’s 24 first-half field goals came from 3-point range, including a stretch of 11 straight attempts
• Virginia went 0-for-10 from 3-point range and was held without a 3-pointer for the first time since Nov. 21, 2011, against Drake
• UVA held an opponent to fewer than 40 points for the 15th time in Tony Bennett’s eight seasons
Williams Excited About Opportunity at UVAGeneral Release10/22/17The next athletics director at UVA will be Carla Williams, who's been a student--athlete, coach and an administrator at the University of Georgia.'Hoos Take Step Back in One-Sided LossFootball10/21/17For Virginia, which lost 41-10 to visiting Boston College on Saturday, the next opportunity to become bowl-eligible comes next weekend at Pitt.Green Adjusting to New SurroundingsWrestling10/20/17A transfer from Boise State, which dropped its wrestling program last spring, Fred Green is a candidate to start at 157 pounds for Virginia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Pepsi Blue-White Scrimmage to Benefit Hurricane Relief
M. Basketball | 10/19/2017
Cash donations will be accepted upon entry to the Blue-White Scrimmage at John Paul Jones Arena. ...
Jeff White: Salt Evolving Into Pivotal Presence
M. Basketball | 10/17/2017
A redshirt junior from New Zealand, 6-11 center Jack Salt has grown into a team leader for UVA,...
Jeff White: Cavalier Men's Basketball Notebook
M. Basketball | 10/16/2017
The season starts Nov. 10 for the Cavaliers, whose third annual Pepsi Blue-White scrimmage is...
On-Sale Dates Announced for Single-Game Tickets
M. Basketball | 10/9/2017
The Virginia athletics department announced Monday (Oct. 9) the on-sale dates for single-game...
UVA Announces Times and TV Designations for Seven Games
M. Basketball | 9/18/2017
UVA home contests vs. UNC Greensboro (Nov. 10, 7 p.m.), Austin Peay (Nov. 13, 7 p.m.), Lehigh (De...
ACC Releases UVA's 2017-18 Men's Basketball Schedule
M. Basketball | 9/7/2017
Virginia will play 30 regular-season games, including 17 contests at John Paul Jones Arena.
Jeff White: Johnson Eager to Make Mark as Cavalier
M. Basketball | 08/23/2017
The addition of graduate student Nigel Johnson, who averaged 11.3 points for Rutgers last season,...
Jeff White: Newcomers Settling In At UVA
M. Basketball | 06/30/2017
Head coach Tony Bennett's scholarship players for 2017-18 include two freshmen: guard Marco...
- Online Stores