Nov. 22, 2016
• This was Virginia’s second game with Grambling State, with UVA winning both
• Virginia extended its home win streak to 23 games (sixth longest in the nation), dating from Feb. 7, 2015, and has won 42 of its last 43 home contests
• UVA extended its program-record win streak at John Paul Jones Arena, dating from Feb. 7, 2015, and has won 44 of its last 45 home games.
• UVA is 141-36 in 11 seasons at JPJ, including 103-20 under Tony Bennett
• Grambling’s nine first-half points marked the fewest allowed in a half by UVA since since Harvard’s 8-point first half on Dec. 21, 2014
• UVA is now 57-2 under Tony Bennett when limiting to opponents to fewer than 50 points
• UVA has held three straight opponents under 40 points for the first time in shot-clock era and the first time since the 1945-46 season
• UVA shot 72 percent from the field and 56.3 percent from 3-point range in the first half: both totals were UVA’s best for a half this season
• Virginia held Grambling State scoreless for 9:46 spanning the final 8:22 of the first half and the first 1:24 of the second; this is the fifth time UVA has held an opponent scoreless for six minutes or more in four games this season
• UVA held an opponent to fewer than 40 points for the 17th time in Tony Bennett’s eight seasons
• UVA’s 40-point halftime lead was its largest under Tony Bennett; the previous high was 31 against Seattle (11/17/12) and Harvard (12/21/14)
• It also was UVA’s largest halftime lead at JPJ (34 vs. Gonzaga, 1/3/07) and its biggest since a 43-point lead (68-25) against Grambling on Dec. 30, 2001
• The 56-point win was the third-largest in program history and the largest under Tony Bennett
• UVA broke the 90-point plateau for the first time under Tony Bennett and for the first time since Dec. 17, 2008, against Longwood; the previous high under Bennett was 89 in a double-OT win over Miami on Jan. 3, 2015
• Kyle Guy scored a career-high 20 points, including 14 in the first half
• Guy is the first UVA freshman to score 20 points in a game since Justin Anderson scored 24 against Iowa on March 27, 2013 in the NIT
• All 13 UVA players scored and saw at least 10 minutes of playing time
• Jarred Reuter had a career-high seven rebounds
Spring Football NotebookFootball4/20/18As part of the inaugural Wahoowa Weekend, spring football concludes for the Cavaliers with an open practice April 28 at Scott Stadium.Thompson Ready To Lead From FrontWomen's Basketball4/18/18The mood was celebratory Wednesday afternoon at John Paul Jones Arena, where Tina Thompson was introduced as UVA's women's basketball coach.Walsh Ready to Lead 'Hoos in PostseasonMen's Golf4/18/18Healthy again after battling back problems for much of 2017, Thomas Walsh enters this weekend's ACC tournament in good form.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
UVA Sweeps Top VaSID Honors
M. Basketball | 4/20/2018
Tony Bennett (coach), Kyle Guy (player) and De'Andre Hunter (rookie) earned top VaSID University...
Bennett Promotes Williford and Vandross
M. Basketball | 4/17/2018
Jason Williford has been promoted to associate head coach and Orlando Vandross has been elevated ...
ACC Opponents Announced for 2018-19
M. Basketball | 4/10/2018
The ACC announced Tuesday (April 10) the men's basketball league opponents for all 15...
Bennett Adds Another Coach of the Year Award
M. Basketball | 4/1/2018
Virginia’s Tony Bennett was named the 2018 NABC Division I Coach of the Year, announced...
Bennett Earns Naismith Coach of the Year Award
M. Basketball | 4/1/2018
Virginia's Tony Bennett was named the 2018 Werner Ladder Naismith Men's College Coach of the Year...
Bennett Named AP Coach of the Year
M. Basketball | 3/29/2018
Virginia's Tony Bennett was named the Associated Press (AP) Men's College Basketball Coach of the...
Guy Named AP All-America Third Team
M. Basketball | 03/28/2018
Kyle Guy was named to the Associated Press (AP) All-America Third Team, marking his second All-Am...
Bennett Named NABC District 2 Coach of the Year
M. Basketball | 03/21/2018
Virginia’s Tony Bennett was named NABC District 2 Coach of the Year, announced Wednesday (M...
- Online Stores