Nov. 22, 2016
• This was Virginia’s second game with Grambling State, with UVA winning both
• Virginia extended its home win streak to 23 games (sixth longest in the nation), dating from Feb. 7, 2015, and has won 42 of its last 43 home contests
• UVA extended its program-record win streak at John Paul Jones Arena, dating from Feb. 7, 2015, and has won 44 of its last 45 home games.
• UVA is 141-36 in 11 seasons at JPJ, including 103-20 under Tony Bennett
• Grambling’s nine first-half points marked the fewest allowed in a half by UVA since since Harvard’s 8-point first half on Dec. 21, 2014
• UVA is now 57-2 under Tony Bennett when limiting to opponents to fewer than 50 points
• UVA has held three straight opponents under 40 points for the first time in shot-clock era and the first time since the 1945-46 season
• UVA shot 72 percent from the field and 56.3 percent from 3-point range in the first half: both totals were UVA’s best for a half this season
• Virginia held Grambling State scoreless for 9:46 spanning the final 8:22 of the first half and the first 1:24 of the second; this is the fifth time UVA has held an opponent scoreless for six minutes or more in four games this season
• UVA held an opponent to fewer than 40 points for the 17th time in Tony Bennett’s eight seasons
• UVA’s 40-point halftime lead was its largest under Tony Bennett; the previous high was 31 against Seattle (11/17/12) and Harvard (12/21/14)
• It also was UVA’s largest halftime lead at JPJ (34 vs. Gonzaga, 1/3/07) and its biggest since a 43-point lead (68-25) against Grambling on Dec. 30, 2001
• The 56-point win was the third-largest in program history and the largest under Tony Bennett
• UVA broke the 90-point plateau for the first time under Tony Bennett and for the first time since Dec. 17, 2008, against Longwood; the previous high under Bennett was 89 in a double-OT win over Miami on Jan. 3, 2015
• Kyle Guy scored a career-high 20 points, including 14 in the first half
• Guy is the first UVA freshman to score 20 points in a game since Justin Anderson scored 24 against Iowa on March 27, 2013 in the NIT
• All 13 UVA players scored and saw at least 10 minutes of playing time
• Jarred Reuter had a career-high seven rebounds
Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.Hall Working to Raise NBA StockMen's Basketball6/12/18By the time the NBA draft arrives on June 21, former UVA guard Devon Hall will have worked out for nearly two-thirds of the league's 30 teams.Mueller Sets Sights on World TitleWrestling6/11/18Early this month, Jack Mueller, a rising junior at UVA, clinched a spot on the U.S. team that will compete at the U23 freestyle world championships in Romania.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Hall Working to Raise NBA Stock
M. Basketball | 6/12/2018
By the time the NBA draft arrives June 21, former UVA guard Devon Hall will have worked out for...
Virginia to Play at Maryland in 2018 ACC/B1G Challenge
M. Basketball | 6/1/2018
Virginia will play at former ACC rival Maryland in the 20th ACC-B1G Challenge on Wednesday, Nov. 28.
UVA Men’s Basketball Adds Caffaro and Key
M. Basketball | 5/18/2018
Virginia men's head basketball coach Tony Bennett announced May 18 the additions of center...
Jeff White: Vandross Eager to Contribute in New Role
M. Basketball | 5/2/2018
Ron Sanchez's departure created a vacancy on the UVA staff that Tony Bennett filled by promoting ...
UVA Sweeps Top VaSID Honors
M. Basketball | 4/20/2018
Tony Bennett (coach), Kyle Guy (player) and De'Andre Hunter (rookie) earned top VaSID University...
Bennett Promotes Williford and Vandross
M. Basketball | 4/17/2018
Jason Williford has been promoted to associate head coach and Orlando Vandross has been elevated ...
ACC Opponents Announced for 2018-19
M. Basketball | 04/10/2018
The ACC announced Tuesday (April 10) the men's basketball league opponents for all 15...
Bennett Adds Another Coach of the Year Award
M. Basketball | 04/01/2018
Virginia’s Tony Bennett was named the 2018 NABC Division I Coach of the Year, announced...
- Online Stores