Nov. 22, 2016
• This was Virginia’s second game with Grambling State, with UVA winning both
• Virginia extended its home win streak to 23 games (sixth longest in the nation), dating from Feb. 7, 2015, and has won 42 of its last 43 home contests
• UVA extended its program-record win streak at John Paul Jones Arena, dating from Feb. 7, 2015, and has won 44 of its last 45 home games.
• UVA is 141-36 in 11 seasons at JPJ, including 103-20 under Tony Bennett
• Grambling’s nine first-half points marked the fewest allowed in a half by UVA since since Harvard’s 8-point first half on Dec. 21, 2014
• UVA is now 57-2 under Tony Bennett when limiting to opponents to fewer than 50 points
• UVA has held three straight opponents under 40 points for the first time in shot-clock era and the first time since the 1945-46 season
• UVA shot 72 percent from the field and 56.3 percent from 3-point range in the first half: both totals were UVA’s best for a half this season
• Virginia held Grambling State scoreless for 9:46 spanning the final 8:22 of the first half and the first 1:24 of the second; this is the fifth time UVA has held an opponent scoreless for six minutes or more in four games this season
• UVA held an opponent to fewer than 40 points for the 17th time in Tony Bennett’s eight seasons
• UVA’s 40-point halftime lead was its largest under Tony Bennett; the previous high was 31 against Seattle (11/17/12) and Harvard (12/21/14)
• It also was UVA’s largest halftime lead at JPJ (34 vs. Gonzaga, 1/3/07) and its biggest since a 43-point lead (68-25) against Grambling on Dec. 30, 2001
• The 56-point win was the third-largest in program history and the largest under Tony Bennett
• UVA broke the 90-point plateau for the first time under Tony Bennett and for the first time since Dec. 17, 2008, against Longwood; the previous high under Bennett was 89 in a double-OT win over Miami on Jan. 3, 2015
• Kyle Guy scored a career-high 20 points, including 14 in the first half
• Guy is the first UVA freshman to score 20 points in a game since Justin Anderson scored 24 against Iowa on March 27, 2013 in the NIT
• All 13 UVA players scored and saw at least 10 minutes of playing time
• Jarred Reuter had a career-high seven rebounds
'Hoos Make Statement With Resounding WinFootball9/23/17On the blue turf of Albertsons Stadium, where Boise State rarely loses, Virginia rolled a 42-23 victory Friday night in a game shown on ESPN2.Dreams Coming True for Opoku at UVAMen's Soccer9/22/17Edward Opoku, a native of Ghana, is the leading scorer for No. 9 Virginia, which hosts No. 7 North Carolina on Friday night at Klöckner Stadium.Reinkensmeyer Moves Center StageFootball9/19/17Redshirt freshman Dillon Reinkensmeyer will make his third start for Virginia -- his second at center -- at Boise State on Friday night.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
UVA Announces Times and TV Designations for Seven Games
M. Basketball | 9/18/2017
UVA home contests vs. UNC Greensboro (Nov. 10, 7 p.m.), Austin Peay (Nov. 13, 7 p.m.), Lehigh (De...
ACC Releases UVA's 2017-18 Men's Basketball Schedule
M. Basketball | 9/7/2017
Virginia will play 30 regular-season games, including 17 contests at John Paul Jones Arena.
Jeff White: Johnson Eager to Make Mark as Cavalier
M. Basketball | 8/23/2017
The addition of graduate student Nigel Johnson, who averaged 11.3 points for Rutgers last season,...
Jeff White: Newcomers Settling In At UVA
M. Basketball | 6/30/2017
Head coach Tony Bennett's scholarship players for 2017-18 include two freshmen: guard Marco...
Brogdon Named NBA Rookie of the Year
M. Basketball | 6/26/2017
Former Virginia two-time All-American and current Milwaukee Bucks guard Malcolm Brogdon was named...
Virginia to Host Wisconsin in 2017 Big Ten/ACC Challenge
M. Basketball | 6/8/2017
The Cavaliers and Badgers meet for the third time in the Challenge and fifth time overall. UVA is...
Jeff White: Cavalier Men's Basketball Notebook
M. Basketball | 05/16/2017
The Cavaliers are heading into their ninth season under head coach Tony Bennett, who has led them...
UVA Men’s Basketball Signs Badocchi to NLI
M. Basketball | 05/11/2017
The Virginia men's basketball program signed forward Francesco Badocchi (Milan, Italy) to a...
- Online Stores