Nov. 22, 2016
• This was Virginia’s second game with Grambling State, with UVA winning both
• Virginia extended its home win streak to 23 games (sixth longest in the nation), dating from Feb. 7, 2015, and has won 42 of its last 43 home contests
• UVA extended its program-record win streak at John Paul Jones Arena, dating from Feb. 7, 2015, and has won 44 of its last 45 home games.
• UVA is 141-36 in 11 seasons at JPJ, including 103-20 under Tony Bennett
• Grambling’s nine first-half points marked the fewest allowed in a half by UVA since since Harvard’s 8-point first half on Dec. 21, 2014
• UVA is now 57-2 under Tony Bennett when limiting to opponents to fewer than 50 points
• UVA has held three straight opponents under 40 points for the first time in shot-clock era and the first time since the 1945-46 season
• UVA shot 72 percent from the field and 56.3 percent from 3-point range in the first half: both totals were UVA’s best for a half this season
• Virginia held Grambling State scoreless for 9:46 spanning the final 8:22 of the first half and the first 1:24 of the second; this is the fifth time UVA has held an opponent scoreless for six minutes or more in four games this season
• UVA held an opponent to fewer than 40 points for the 17th time in Tony Bennett’s eight seasons
• UVA’s 40-point halftime lead was its largest under Tony Bennett; the previous high was 31 against Seattle (11/17/12) and Harvard (12/21/14)
• It also was UVA’s largest halftime lead at JPJ (34 vs. Gonzaga, 1/3/07) and its biggest since a 43-point lead (68-25) against Grambling on Dec. 30, 2001
• The 56-point win was the third-largest in program history and the largest under Tony Bennett
• UVA broke the 90-point plateau for the first time under Tony Bennett and for the first time since Dec. 17, 2008, against Longwood; the previous high under Bennett was 89 in a double-OT win over Miami on Jan. 3, 2015
• Kyle Guy scored a career-high 20 points, including 14 in the first half
• Guy is the first UVA freshman to score 20 points in a game since Justin Anderson scored 24 against Iowa on March 27, 2013 in the NIT
• All 13 UVA players scored and saw at least 10 minutes of playing time
• Jarred Reuter had a career-high seven rebounds
Nicholson Shines On and Off Water at UVAWomen's Rowing5/25/17Allie Nicholson, who had never rowed before arriving at UVA in 2013, is now a key member of one of the nation's top programs.'Hoos Eager to Make More HistoryMen's Tennis5/22/17A win over No. 9 seed North Carolina on Tuesday afternoon would give second-seeded Virginia its third straight NCAA men's tennis title.McKee Thriving in New SurroundingsTrack & Field, Cross Country5/22/17A transfer from Kansas, Kelly McKee will compete in the triple jump this week at the NCAA East Regional meet in Lexington, Kentucky.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Cavalier Men's Basketball Notebook
M. Basketball | 5/16/2017
The Cavaliers are heading into their ninth season under head coach Tony Bennett, who has led them...
UVA Men’s Basketball Signs Badocchi to NLI
M. Basketball | 5/11/2017
The Virginia men's basketball program signed forward Francesco Badocchi (Milan, Italy) to a...
Huff to Tour Czech Republic and Poland with AIA
M. Basketball | 5/4/2017
Virginia redshirt freshman Jay Huff (Durham, N.C.) will embark on a 13-day competitive basketball...
Perrantes Named VaSID All-State First Team
M. Basketball | 4/20/2017
Virginia’s London Perrantes (Los Angeles) was honored by the Virginia Sports Information...
Perrantes To Compete in Reese's College All-Star Game
M. Basketball | 3/28/2017
London Perrantes has been selected by the NABC to play in the 2017 Reese's Division I College All...
Thompson Departing Virginia Men's Basketball Program
M. Basketball | 3/23/2017
Virginia men's basketball head coach Tony Bennett announced March 23 that redshirt junior guard...
Shayok and Reuter Leaving UVA Men's Basketball Program
M. Basketball | 03/22/2017
Virginia men's basketball head coach Tony Bennett announced Wednesday (March 22) that junior...
Perrantes Named to NABC All-District 2 Second Team
M. Basketball | 03/22/2017
Virginia senior point guard London Perrantes was named to the NABC All-District 2 second team,...
- Online Stores