Dec. 8, 2012
• Virginia allowed under 40 points for the second straight game, the first time the Cavaliers have allowed under 40 in consecutive games since 1948-49 (38 by Langley Field, 39 by Richmond Royals)
• Mississippi Valley State’s 19 percent (11-58) from the floor is the lowest percentage ever by a Virginia opponent (previous record was by UNLV, 22.4%, 13-58, on Jan. 3, 1994)
• MVSU’s 19 percent is the second lowest FG% this season by a Division I team (North Carolina A&T shot 15.2% in a 93-39 loss at Cincinnati on Nov. 18)
• The Delta Devils’ 11 field goals tie the record for fewest by a Virginia opponent (James Madison, 11-41, on Dec. 1, 1982)
• Virginia held Mississippi Valley State to 17 second-half points, marking the fifth time this season the Cavaliers have held an opponent under 20 points in a half
• The Cavaliers held an opponent under 40 points for the fifth time in the Tony Bennett era
• Virginia held an opponent under 50 points for the fifth time this year (5-0) and the 23rd time in the Tony Bennett era (22-1)
• Virginia played a SWAC opponent for the first time in 11 seasons and the second time overall (def. Grambling 112-67 on Dec. 30, 2001)
• Virginia won its seventh consecutive game
• Akil Mitchell (20 pts) has scored in double figures in nine of 10 games this season
• Mitchell had the second 20-point game of his career
• Caid Kirven made his collegiate debut
• Doug Browman saw action for the first time in five games, Taylor Barnette saw action for the first time in four games and Thomas Rogers saw action for the first time in five games
Player Career Highs
• Akil Mitchell tied a career high with 20 points
• Akil Mitchell had a career-high four steals
• Darion Atkins tied a career high with 14 points
• Justin Anderson had a career-high 15 points and a career-high nine rebounds
• Joe Harris had a career-high six assists
• Taylor Barnette tied a career high with four assists
• Mike Tobey had a career-high three blocks
Nelson Making Name for Himself in SecondaryFootball8/16/17Redshirt freshman Brenton Nelson, who was put on scholarship this month, is competing for a starting job in Virginia's nickel defense.DeSorbo Hits Ground Running at UVASwimming & Diving8/16/17After six seasons as NC State's associate head coach, Todd DeSorbo now oversees men's and women's swimming & diving at Virginia.Training Camp NotebookFootball8/11/17Training camp continues for UVA, whose second season under head coach Bronco Mendenhall starts Sept. 2 against William & Mary at Scott Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Newcomers Settling In At UVA
M. Basketball | 6/30/2017
Head coach Tony Bennett's scholarship players for 2017-18 include two freshmen: guard Marco...
Brogdon Named NBA Rookie of the Year
M. Basketball | 6/26/2017
Former Virginia two-time All-American and current Milwaukee Bucks guard Malcolm Brogdon was named...
Virginia to Host Wisconsin in 2017 Big Ten/ACC Challenge
M. Basketball | 6/8/2017
The Cavaliers and Badgers meet for the third time in the Challenge and fifth time overall. UVA is...
Jeff White: Cavalier Men's Basketball Notebook
M. Basketball | 5/16/2017
The Cavaliers are heading into their ninth season under head coach Tony Bennett, who has led them...
UVA Men’s Basketball Signs Badocchi to NLI
M. Basketball | 5/11/2017
The Virginia men's basketball program signed forward Francesco Badocchi (Milan, Italy) to a...
Huff to Tour Czech Republic and Poland with AIA
M. Basketball | 5/4/2017
Virginia redshirt freshman Jay Huff (Durham, N.C.) will embark on a 13-day competitive basketball...
Perrantes Named VaSID All-State First Team
M. Basketball | 04/20/2017
Virginia’s London Perrantes (Los Angeles) was honored by the Virginia Sports Information...
Perrantes To Compete in Reese's College All-Star Game
M. Basketball | 03/28/2017
London Perrantes has been selected by the NABC to play in the 2017 Reese's Division I College All...
- Online Stores