Dec. 8, 2012
• Virginia allowed under 40 points for the second straight game, the first time the Cavaliers have allowed under 40 in consecutive games since 1948-49 (38 by Langley Field, 39 by Richmond Royals)
• Mississippi Valley State’s 19 percent (11-58) from the floor is the lowest percentage ever by a Virginia opponent (previous record was by UNLV, 22.4%, 13-58, on Jan. 3, 1994)
• MVSU’s 19 percent is the second lowest FG% this season by a Division I team (North Carolina A&T shot 15.2% in a 93-39 loss at Cincinnati on Nov. 18)
• The Delta Devils’ 11 field goals tie the record for fewest by a Virginia opponent (James Madison, 11-41, on Dec. 1, 1982)
• Virginia held Mississippi Valley State to 17 second-half points, marking the fifth time this season the Cavaliers have held an opponent under 20 points in a half
• The Cavaliers held an opponent under 40 points for the fifth time in the Tony Bennett era
• Virginia held an opponent under 50 points for the fifth time this year (5-0) and the 23rd time in the Tony Bennett era (22-1)
• Virginia played a SWAC opponent for the first time in 11 seasons and the second time overall (def. Grambling 112-67 on Dec. 30, 2001)
• Virginia won its seventh consecutive game
• Akil Mitchell (20 pts) has scored in double figures in nine of 10 games this season
• Mitchell had the second 20-point game of his career
• Caid Kirven made his collegiate debut
• Doug Browman saw action for the first time in five games, Taylor Barnette saw action for the first time in four games and Thomas Rogers saw action for the first time in five games
Player Career Highs
• Akil Mitchell tied a career high with 20 points
• Akil Mitchell had a career-high four steals
• Darion Atkins tied a career high with 14 points
• Justin Anderson had a career-high 15 points and a career-high nine rebounds
• Joe Harris had a career-high six assists
• Taylor Barnette tied a career high with four assists
• Mike Tobey had a career-high three blocks
'Hoos Savor Latest ITA TitleMen's Tennis2/20/17In men's tennis, Virginia won its sixth ITA National Team Indoors Championship, defending Ohio State 4-1 at the Boar's Head Sports Club.Slumping Cavaliers Look to RegroupMen's Basketball2/19/17No. 14 Virginia (18-8, 8-6) will try to end a three-game losing streak Monday night when ACC rival Miami (18-8, 8-6) visit John Paul Jones Arena.Kwiatkowski Sets Standard On and Off CourtMen's Tennis2/16/17Thai-Son Kwiatkowski, one of top-ranked Virginia's best players, also has distinguished himself in the McIntire School of Commerce.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 18 Virginia Falls Miami 54-48 in OT
M. Basketball | 2/20/2017
Devon Hall scored 15 points to lead the Cavaliers, but No. 18 Virginia fell to Miami in overtime ...
No. 14 Virginia Hosts Miami Monday Night
M. Basketball | 2/19/2017
No. 14 Virginia hosts Miami on Monday, Feb. 20. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 7 p.m....
Jeff White: Slumping Cavaliers Look to Regroup
M. Basketball | 2/19/2017
No. 14 Virginia (18-8, 8-6) will try to end a three-game losing streak Monday night when ACC...
No. 14 Cavaliers fall to No. 10 Tar Heels 65-41
M. Basketball | 2/18/2017
Justin Jackson scored 20 points to help No. 10 North Carolina beat No. 14 Virginia 65-41 on...
No. 10 North Carolina Next For No. 14 Virginia
M. Basketball | 2/17/2017
No. 14 Virginia (18-7, 8-5 ACC) plays at No. 10 North Carolina (22-5, 10-3 ACC) on Saturday, Feb....
Jeff White: Grueling Stretch Continues for 'Hoos
M. Basketball | 2/16/2017
No. 14 Virginia, which lost Wednesday night to No. 12 Duke at JPJ, meets No. 10 North Carolina in...
No. 14 Virginia Falls to No. 12 Duke, 65-55
M. Basketball | 02/15/2017
London Perrantes scored 14 points to lead Virginia (18-7, 8-5) and Ty Jerome had 13.
No. 14 UVA Hosts No. 12 Duke on Wednesday
M. Basketball | 02/14/2017
No. 14 Virginia (18-6, 8-4 ACC) hosts No. 12 Duke (20-5, 8-4 ACC) on Wednesday, Feb. 15 at 9:10 p...
- Online Stores