Dec. 8, 2012
• Virginia allowed under 40 points for the second straight game, the first time the Cavaliers have allowed under 40 in consecutive games since 1948-49 (38 by Langley Field, 39 by Richmond Royals)
• Mississippi Valley State’s 19 percent (11-58) from the floor is the lowest percentage ever by a Virginia opponent (previous record was by UNLV, 22.4%, 13-58, on Jan. 3, 1994)
• MVSU’s 19 percent is the second lowest FG% this season by a Division I team (North Carolina A&T shot 15.2% in a 93-39 loss at Cincinnati on Nov. 18)
• The Delta Devils’ 11 field goals tie the record for fewest by a Virginia opponent (James Madison, 11-41, on Dec. 1, 1982)
• Virginia held Mississippi Valley State to 17 second-half points, marking the fifth time this season the Cavaliers have held an opponent under 20 points in a half
• The Cavaliers held an opponent under 40 points for the fifth time in the Tony Bennett era
• Virginia held an opponent under 50 points for the fifth time this year (5-0) and the 23rd time in the Tony Bennett era (22-1)
• Virginia played a SWAC opponent for the first time in 11 seasons and the second time overall (def. Grambling 112-67 on Dec. 30, 2001)
• Virginia won its seventh consecutive game
• Akil Mitchell (20 pts) has scored in double figures in nine of 10 games this season
• Mitchell had the second 20-point game of his career
• Caid Kirven made his collegiate debut
• Doug Browman saw action for the first time in five games, Taylor Barnette saw action for the first time in four games and Thomas Rogers saw action for the first time in five games
Player Career Highs
• Akil Mitchell tied a career high with 20 points
• Akil Mitchell had a career-high four steals
• Darion Atkins tied a career high with 14 points
• Justin Anderson had a career-high 15 points and a career-high nine rebounds
• Joe Harris had a career-high six assists
• Taylor Barnette tied a career high with four assists
• Mike Tobey had a career-high three blocks
Soccer Teams Turn Attention to 2017Men's Soccer12/2/16The Virginia men's and women's soccer teams are fixtures in their respective NCAA tournaments, and 2017 should bring more success for both.Home-Court Advantage Proves Pivotal AgainMen's Basketball12/1/16No. 6 Virginia, which hosts No. 25 West Virginia on Saturday afternoon, has won 24 straight games at John Paul Jones Arena.Diakite Growing Into Larger RoleMen's Basketball11/29/16Redshirt freshman Mamadi Diakite is averaging 7.2 points and a team-high 2.6 blocks for No. 6 Virginia, which hosts Ohio State at JPJ on Wednesday night.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
No. 6 Virginia Falls to No. 25 West Virginia, 66-57
M. Basketball | 12/3/2016
Darius Thompson scored 14 points to lead the Virginia Cavaliers (7-1). UVA will face East...
No. 6 UVA Entertains No. 25 West Virginia on Saturday
M. Basketball | 12/2/2016
No. 6 Virginia (7-0) hosts No. 25 West Virginia (5-1) in in men’s basketball non-conference...
Jeff White: Home-Court Advantage Pivotal Again
M. Basketball | 12/1/2016
No. 6 Virginia, which hosts No. 25 West Virginia on Saturday afternoon, has won 24 straight games...
Perrantes leads No. 6 UVA past Ohio State, 63-61
M. Basketball | 11/30/2016
London Perrantes scored 15 of his 19 points in the second half and No. 7 Virginia overcame a...
Jeff White: Diakite Growing Into Larger Role
M. Basketball | 11/29/2016
Redshirt freshman Mamadi Diakite is averaging 7.2 points and a team-high 2.6 blocks for No. 6...
No. 6 UVA Hosts Ohio State in ACC/B1G Challenge
M. Basketball | 11/29/2016
No. 6 Virginia (6-0) hosts Ohio State (6-0) in the 2017 ACC/Big Ten Challenge on Wednesday (Nov. ...
No. 7 Virginia Downs Providence For Emerald Coast Title, 63-52
M. Basketball | 11/26/2016
London Perrantes and Darius Thompson scored 11 points each and No. 7 Virginia beat Providence 63-...
No. 7 Virginia Defeats Iowa, 74-41
M. Basketball | 11/25/2016
Jarred Reuter led a well-balanced scoring attack with 14 points and Virginia's stifling trademark...
- Online Stores