Dec. 8, 2012
• Virginia allowed under 40 points for the second straight game, the first time the Cavaliers have allowed under 40 in consecutive games since 1948-49 (38 by Langley Field, 39 by Richmond Royals)
• Mississippi Valley State’s 19 percent (11-58) from the floor is the lowest percentage ever by a Virginia opponent (previous record was by UNLV, 22.4%, 13-58, on Jan. 3, 1994)
• MVSU’s 19 percent is the second lowest FG% this season by a Division I team (North Carolina A&T shot 15.2% in a 93-39 loss at Cincinnati on Nov. 18)
• The Delta Devils’ 11 field goals tie the record for fewest by a Virginia opponent (James Madison, 11-41, on Dec. 1, 1982)
• Virginia held Mississippi Valley State to 17 second-half points, marking the fifth time this season the Cavaliers have held an opponent under 20 points in a half
• The Cavaliers held an opponent under 40 points for the fifth time in the Tony Bennett era
• Virginia held an opponent under 50 points for the fifth time this year (5-0) and the 23rd time in the Tony Bennett era (22-1)
• Virginia played a SWAC opponent for the first time in 11 seasons and the second time overall (def. Grambling 112-67 on Dec. 30, 2001)
• Virginia won its seventh consecutive game
• Akil Mitchell (20 pts) has scored in double figures in nine of 10 games this season
• Mitchell had the second 20-point game of his career
• Caid Kirven made his collegiate debut
• Doug Browman saw action for the first time in five games, Taylor Barnette saw action for the first time in four games and Thomas Rogers saw action for the first time in five games
Player Career Highs
• Akil Mitchell tied a career high with 20 points
• Akil Mitchell had a career-high four steals
• Darion Atkins tied a career high with 14 points
• Justin Anderson had a career-high 15 points and a career-high nine rebounds
• Joe Harris had a career-high six assists
• Taylor Barnette tied a career high with four assists
• Mike Tobey had a career-high three blocks
Ellis Thrilled to Back in CoachingWrestling10/24/16The newest member of the Virginia wrestling team's coaching staff is assistant Mark Ellis, who won an NCAA title as a heavyweight at Missouri.North Carolina PostscriptFootball10/23/16Virginia, which trailed 14-7 at halftime, lost 35-14 to No. 22 North Carolina in an ACC game Saturday at Scott Stadium.Cavalier Football Notebook: UNC WeekFootball10/21/16At 3 p.m. Saturday, UVA (2-4, 1-1) hosts Coastal Division rival North Carolina (5-2, 3-1) in an ACC football game at Scott Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Scrimmage & Meet the Teams Day Set For Sunday
M. Basketball | 9/21/2016
The UVA men's team will hold its second annual Pepsi Blue-White intrasquad scrimmage at 3 p.m.,...
Nichols Named to Malone Award Watch List
M. Basketball | 10/20/2016
Virginia’s Austin Nichols (Collierville, Tenn.) was one of 20 players named to the watch...
Jeff White: Media Day Notebook
M. Basketball | 10/18/2016
Virginia, which reached the Elite Eight in 2015-16, opens the season Nov. 11 against UNC...
Perrantes Named to Cousy Award Watch List
M. Basketball | 10/17/2016
Virginia’s London Perrantes (Los Angeles) was one of 20 players named to the watch list for...
Jeff White: Reuter Ready To Take On Larger Role
M. Basketball | 10/17/2016
A 6-7, 243-pound sophomore from Marion, Mass., Jarred Reuter is competing for a starting spot in ...
On-Sale Dates For Single-Game Tickets Announced
M. Basketball | 10/10/2016
The University of Virginia announced the on-sale dates for single-game tickets for men’s...
Jeff White: Spirit of '76 Unites Basketball Family
M. Basketball | 09/27/2016
At the Virginia men's basketball reunion, the spotlight was on the 1975-76 team and the legacy of...
Jeff White: Non-Conference Challenges Await 'Hoos
M. Basketball | 09/13/2016
Virginia's 2016-17 men's basketball schedule includes non-conference games against such opponents...
- Online Stores