Dec. 23, 2015
Virginia Game Notes
No. 5 Virginia 63, California 62
Tuesday, Dec. 22, 2015
- This was the first all-time meeting between Virginia and Cal; the programs are scheduled to play in Berkeley next season
- Virginia won its ninth straight game
- UVA is now 4-4 in overtime games at John Paul Jones Arena; this was the first overtime contest since UVA’s 61-58 win over Maryland on March 10, 2013
- Virginia’s first lead came at the 1:02 mark of the second half; UVA led for 32 seconds in the game
- Virginia is now 13-12 against schools currently competing in the Pac-12 Conference
- UVA is 128-36 in 10 seasons at JPJ, including 90-20 under Tony Bennett
- UVA’s 11-point second-half deficit was its largest in the second half this season. UVA trailed 68-59 in the second half at George Washington (11/16)
- Virginia shot just 18 percent in the first half (4-for-22), marking its first time shooting less than 20 percent in a half since shooting 15 percent (3-for-20) in the second half against Wisconsin on Dec. 4, 2013
- UVA’s 20-point output in the first half was its lowest total in any half this season and its fewest since recording 18 in the first half against Michigan State in the 2015 NCAA Tournament (3/22)
- UVA was out-rebounded for the second time this season (George Washington)
- Virginia held Cal scoreless for a span of six minutes, 53 seconds in the second half
- After scoring just four points in the paint in the first half, UVA scored 20 of its 32 second-half points in the paint
- Cal was hit one of its last 11 field-goal attempts in regulation
- Freshman Jarred Reuter scored seven of UVA’s first 14 points and recorded a career-high 11 points. He had four points during his previous six games and totaled 16 points on the season coming into tonight
- Reuter played a season-high 16 minutes after averaging 6.1 in his first eight games
- Anthony Gill scored 15 points and reached double figures in scoring for the 11th straight game this year
NCAA Quest Begins for Iceland NativeTrack & Field, Cross Country5/24/18A three-time ACC champion in the hammer throw, Virginia junior Hilmar Jonsson competes Thursday at the NCAA East Preliminary meet in Tampa, Fla.Lynch Shines Again in His Season FinaleBaseball5/23/18In what was probably his final appearance for UVA, junior left-hander Daniel Lynch struck out seven Tuesday against Florida State in the ACC tournament.UVA Pioneer Ready for Next ChapterFootball5/21/18Kent Merritt, who's retiring next month from his position in the history department, was among the first African-American football players at Virginia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
UVA Men’s Basketball Adds Caffaro and Key
M. Basketball | 5/18/2018
Virginia men's head basketball coach Tony Bennett announced May 18 the additions of center...
Jeff White: Vandross Eager to Contribute in New Role
M. Basketball | 5/2/2018
Ron Sanchez's departure created a vacancy on the UVA staff that Tony Bennett filled by promoting ...
UVA Sweeps Top VaSID Honors
M. Basketball | 4/20/2018
Tony Bennett (coach), Kyle Guy (player) and De'Andre Hunter (rookie) earned top VaSID University...
Bennett Promotes Williford and Vandross
M. Basketball | 4/17/2018
Jason Williford has been promoted to associate head coach and Orlando Vandross has been elevated ...
ACC Opponents Announced for 2018-19
M. Basketball | 4/10/2018
The ACC announced Tuesday (April 10) the men's basketball league opponents for all 15...
Bennett Adds Another Coach of the Year Award
M. Basketball | 4/1/2018
Virginia’s Tony Bennett was named the 2018 NABC Division I Coach of the Year, announced...
Bennett Earns Naismith Coach of the Year Award
M. Basketball | 04/01/2018
Virginia's Tony Bennett was named the 2018 Werner Ladder Naismith Men's College Coach of the Year...
Bennett Named AP Coach of the Year
M. Basketball | 03/29/2018
Virginia's Tony Bennett was named the Associated Press (AP) Men's College Basketball Coach of the...
- Online Stores