Dec. 23, 2015
Virginia Game Notes
No. 5 Virginia 63, California 62
Tuesday, Dec. 22, 2015
- This was the first all-time meeting between Virginia and Cal; the programs are scheduled to play in Berkeley next season
- Virginia won its ninth straight game
- UVA is now 4-4 in overtime games at John Paul Jones Arena; this was the first overtime contest since UVA’s 61-58 win over Maryland on March 10, 2013
- Virginia’s first lead came at the 1:02 mark of the second half; UVA led for 32 seconds in the game
- Virginia is now 13-12 against schools currently competing in the Pac-12 Conference
- UVA is 128-36 in 10 seasons at JPJ, including 90-20 under Tony Bennett
- UVA’s 11-point second-half deficit was its largest in the second half this season. UVA trailed 68-59 in the second half at George Washington (11/16)
- Virginia shot just 18 percent in the first half (4-for-22), marking its first time shooting less than 20 percent in a half since shooting 15 percent (3-for-20) in the second half against Wisconsin on Dec. 4, 2013
- UVA’s 20-point output in the first half was its lowest total in any half this season and its fewest since recording 18 in the first half against Michigan State in the 2015 NCAA Tournament (3/22)
- UVA was out-rebounded for the second time this season (George Washington)
- Virginia held Cal scoreless for a span of six minutes, 53 seconds in the second half
- After scoring just four points in the paint in the first half, UVA scored 20 of its 32 second-half points in the paint
- Cal was hit one of its last 11 field-goal attempts in regulation
- Freshman Jarred Reuter scored seven of UVA’s first 14 points and recorded a career-high 11 points. He had four points during his previous six games and totaled 16 points on the season coming into tonight
- Reuter played a season-high 16 minutes after averaging 6.1 in his first eight games
- Anthony Gill scored 15 points and reached double figures in scoring for the 11th straight game this year
New Coaches Welcomed Into Cavaliers' FoldWomen's Rowing8/18/17Virginia's rowing team heads into 2017-18 with two new coaches: associate head coach Emily Ford and assistant Erin Neppel.Nelson Making Name for Himself in SecondaryFootball8/16/17Redshirt freshman Brenton Nelson, who was put on scholarship this month, is competing for a starting job in Virginia's nickel defense.DeSorbo Hits Ground Running at UVASwimming & Diving8/16/17After six seasons as NC State's associate head coach, Todd DeSorbo now oversees men's and women's swimming & diving at Virginia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Newcomers Settling In At UVA
M. Basketball | 6/30/2017
Head coach Tony Bennett's scholarship players for 2017-18 include two freshmen: guard Marco...
Brogdon Named NBA Rookie of the Year
M. Basketball | 6/26/2017
Former Virginia two-time All-American and current Milwaukee Bucks guard Malcolm Brogdon was named...
Virginia to Host Wisconsin in 2017 Big Ten/ACC Challenge
M. Basketball | 6/8/2017
The Cavaliers and Badgers meet for the third time in the Challenge and fifth time overall. UVA is...
Jeff White: Cavalier Men's Basketball Notebook
M. Basketball | 5/16/2017
The Cavaliers are heading into their ninth season under head coach Tony Bennett, who has led them...
UVA Men’s Basketball Signs Badocchi to NLI
M. Basketball | 5/11/2017
The Virginia men's basketball program signed forward Francesco Badocchi (Milan, Italy) to a...
Huff to Tour Czech Republic and Poland with AIA
M. Basketball | 5/4/2017
Virginia redshirt freshman Jay Huff (Durham, N.C.) will embark on a 13-day competitive basketball...
Perrantes Named VaSID All-State First Team
M. Basketball | 04/20/2017
Virginia’s London Perrantes (Los Angeles) was honored by the Virginia Sports Information...
Perrantes To Compete in Reese's College All-Star Game
M. Basketball | 03/28/2017
London Perrantes has been selected by the NABC to play in the 2017 Reese's Division I College All...
- Online Stores