Dec. 23, 2015
Virginia Game Notes
No. 5 Virginia 63, California 62
Tuesday, Dec. 22, 2015
- This was the first all-time meeting between Virginia and Cal; the programs are scheduled to play in Berkeley next season
- Virginia won its ninth straight game
- UVA is now 4-4 in overtime games at John Paul Jones Arena; this was the first overtime contest since UVA’s 61-58 win over Maryland on March 10, 2013
- Virginia’s first lead came at the 1:02 mark of the second half; UVA led for 32 seconds in the game
- Virginia is now 13-12 against schools currently competing in the Pac-12 Conference
- UVA is 128-36 in 10 seasons at JPJ, including 90-20 under Tony Bennett
- UVA’s 11-point second-half deficit was its largest in the second half this season. UVA trailed 68-59 in the second half at George Washington (11/16)
- Virginia shot just 18 percent in the first half (4-for-22), marking its first time shooting less than 20 percent in a half since shooting 15 percent (3-for-20) in the second half against Wisconsin on Dec. 4, 2013
- UVA’s 20-point output in the first half was its lowest total in any half this season and its fewest since recording 18 in the first half against Michigan State in the 2015 NCAA Tournament (3/22)
- UVA was out-rebounded for the second time this season (George Washington)
- Virginia held Cal scoreless for a span of six minutes, 53 seconds in the second half
- After scoring just four points in the paint in the first half, UVA scored 20 of its 32 second-half points in the paint
- Cal was hit one of its last 11 field-goal attempts in regulation
- Freshman Jarred Reuter scored seven of UVA’s first 14 points and recorded a career-high 11 points. He had four points during his previous six games and totaled 16 points on the season coming into tonight
- Reuter played a season-high 16 minutes after averaging 6.1 in his first eight games
- Anthony Gill scored 15 points and reached double figures in scoring for the 11th straight game this year
Diakite's Impact Growing for CavaliersMen's Basketball12/15/17Redshirt sophomore Mamadi Diakite has been a positive presence around the basket for No. 16 Virginia, which hosts Davidson on Saturday afternoon at JPJ.Welsh Connection Adds to Bowl StorylinesFootball12/14/17Virginia (6-6) meets Navy (6-6) in the Military Bowl, Dec. 28 in Annapolis, Md. George Welsh is a former head coach of each team.Cooper Thriving Under New StaffSwimming & Diving12/12/17A senior from Atlanta and one of the team's captains, Caitlin Cooper set the UVA women's record in the 50-yard freestyle early this month in Athens, Georgia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Diakite's Impact Growing for Cavaliers
M. Basketball | 12/15/2017
Redshirt sophomore Mamadi Diakite has been a positive presence around the basket for No. 16...
No. 16 Virginia Hosts Davidson on Saturday
M. Basketball | 12/15/2017
No. 16 Virginia (8-1) returns to action with a non-conference game against Davidson (4-3) on...
Jeff White: 'Hoos Draw Valuable Lessons from Loss
M. Basketball | 12/6/2017
No. 15 Virginia heads into its exam break with an 8-1 record after losing 68-61 Tuesday night at ...
No. 18 WVU Tops No. 15 Virginia 68-61
M. Basketball | 12/5/2017
Devon Hall led No. 15 Virginia (8-1) with 19 points and Kyle Guy added 18 as the Cavaliers fell...
No. 18 Virginia Plays at No. 19 West Virginia Tuesday
M. Basketball | 12/4/2017
No. 18 Virginia (8-0) travels to No. 19 West Virginia (7-1) on Tuesday (Dec. 5). Tipoff at WVU...
Jeff White: Selfless Effort Propels 'Hoos in Latest Win
M. Basketball | 12/2/2017
No. 18 Virginia was credited with 21 assists on its 30 field goals Saturday in its victory over...
Guy's 21 lead No. 18 Virginia past Lehigh 75-54
M. Basketball | 12/02/2017
Kyle Guy scored 21 points and No. 18 Virginia never trailed in a 75-54 victory against Lehigh on ...
Coach's Corner with Tony Bennett Airs Tonight
M. Basketball | 12/11/2017
Coach's Corner with Tony Bennett airs on Virginia Sports Radio Network tonight from 7:06-8 p.m.
- Online Stores