|No. 16 Virginia at Boston College
|Date & Time
||Wednesday, Jan. 18 | 8 p.m. ET|
|Location||Conte Forum | Chestnut Hill, Mass.|
|Coverage||ACC Network | Cavaliers Live |
ACC Network Extra | Gametracker
|Additional Info||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Game Notes|
Jan. 17, 2017
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - No. 16 Virginia (13-3, 3-2 ACC) travels to Boston College (9-9, 2-3 ACC) for an ACC men's basketball contest on Wednesday, Jan. 18. Tipoff at Conte Forum is set for 8 p.m. ET.
• UVA meets Boston College in the lone meeting between the teams.
• UVA has a three-game winning streak against Boston College and is 4-1 in true road games this season.
• The Cavaliers rank first nationally in scoring defense at 53.4 points per game.
• London Perrantes leads UVA in scoring at 12.1 points per game, marking the lowest scoring average to lead any UVA team in a single season (Malcolm Brogdon 12.7 ppg in 2013-14).
• Perrantes has a four-game double figure scoring streak and is averaging 24.5 points in the last two contests.
• Marial Shayok has a four-game double figure scoring streak and has matched his career high of 17 points in each of the last two games.
• Jarred Reuter is a native of Marion, Mass.
• The Virginia-Boston College game will be televised on the ACC Network, streamed online on ACC Network Extra and broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Athletics mobile app on iTunes or Android.
• Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and the Virginia Sports app.
The Head Coaches
Virginia: Tony Bennett (Green Bay, 1992), 178-75 in eight seasons at UVA and 247-108 in 11 seasons overall.
Boston College: Jim Christian (Rhode Island, 1988), 29-53 in three seasons at Boston College and 272-206 in 15 seasons overall.
In The National Rankings
• As of Jan. 16, UVA ranks first nationally in scoring defense (53.4 ppg), fifth in turnovers per game (9.8), ninth in field goal percentage defense (37.9%), 10th in scoring margin (+16.5), 12th in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.52) and 3-point field goal percentage (41%), 13th in field goal percentage (49.9%), 18th in turnover margin (+3.9) and 25th in fouls per game (16.2).
• UVA has held four opponents to fewer than 40 points and was the first team in Division I to hold three straight opponents (St. Francis Brooklyn, Yale and Grambling State) to fewer than 40 points in the last 20 years.
• UVA was also the first team in ACC history (1953-present) to hold three straight opponents to fewer than 40 points.
UVA Ranked No. 16 in Latest Polls
• UVA moved up to No. 16 in the latest Associated Press and USA Today Coaches' polls.
• UVA is ranked out of the top 15 for the second straight week after being ranked in the top 15 for 54 consecutive AP polls.
• UVA was ranked in top 10 in the preseason rankings (No. 8/7) for the third straight season, matching a school-best from 1981-83.
• UVA has been ranked in 57 consecutive AP polls since Feb. 3, 2014.
• UVA has finished in the top 10 (No. 3 in 2014 & No. 6 in 2015 and No. 4 in 2016) in the final AP rankings in three consecutive seasons for the first time since 1981-83.
All-Time vs. Boston College
• Virginia is 12-7 all-time vs. Boston College, including a 9-7 ACC mark, in the series that dates back to 1971-72.
• The Cavaliers have a three-game winning streak against the Eagles and have won five of the last six games in the series.
• UVA recorded a 61-47 win over Boston College last season and a 66-51 win in its last visit to Conte Forum on Jan. 17, 2015.
• Virginia is 2-4 vs. Boston College in Chestnut Hill, including a 79-74 win in the 2007-08 season. • Head coach Tony Bennett is 6-4 all-time against Boston College.
• London Perrantes is averaging 5.8 points and 3.7 assists in four career games against the Eagles.
Last Time Against the Eagles
• Malcolm Brogdon tallied a game-high 27 points to lead then-No. 9 Virginia to a 61-47 win over Boston College on Feb. 3, 2016.
• Brogdon scored 17 of his 27 points in the first half and the Cavaliers opened a lead as high as 25 points after halftime in the win.
• Brogdon went 7-10 from the field, including 5-5 from 3-point range, to post his 11th 20-point effort of the season.
• Anthony Gill added 10 points and 11 rebounds for his second double-double of the season (fifth career).
• UVA limited Boston College to 26.5 percent field goal shooting.
• The Cavaliers shot 81.8 percent (18-22) from the free throw line.
Last Time Out
• Senior point guard London Perrantes tallied a season-high 25 points to lift then-No. 19 Virginia to a 77-73 win at Clemson on Saturday, Jan. 14.
• Perrantes broke a 70-70 tie with a 3-pointer with 2:05 remaining and added a twirling layup moments later to seal the victory.
• Marial Shayok matched a career high with 17 points for the second straight contest. • Isaiah Wilkins added eight points and matched a career high with 13 rebounds for UVA.
• Jaron Blossomgame tallied a team-high 22 points for Clemson and Avry Holmes and Gabe DeVoe each had 15 points.
• UVA drilled 10 3-pointers and owned a 30-25 rebounding edge.
• The Cavaliers allowed season highs in points in the paint (42), points off turnovers (23) and fast break points (10).
Hoo Are These Wahoos?
• Virginia is led by senior point guard London Perrantes, who is a Wooden and Naismith Player of the Year and ACC Player of the Year candidate.
• Perrantes is averaging team highs in points (12.1 ppg) and assists (4.1 apg).
• Isaiah Wilkins (6.3 ppg & 5.5 rpg) leads the team in rebounding, blocked shots (23) and steals (22).
• Marial Shayok is averaging 9.7 points, including 17 ppg as a starter in the past two contests, and Kyle Guy is averaging 8.5 points on 52.2 percent 3-point shooting.
• Darius Thompson has added 7.5 points per game and Jarred Reuter leads the team in field goal percentage (61.9%).
• Jack Salt, who is UVA's most physical player, is averaging 4.4 points and 3.7 rebounds in 18.5 minutes per game. Salt averaged 1.6 points and 1.1 rebounds in 6.6 minutes per game last season.
• Mamadi Diakite (4.9 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.5 blocked shots) and Ty Jerome are role players off the bench.
On The Horizon
• No. 16 Virginia hosts Georgia Tech on Saturday, Jan. 21. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 2 p.m. The game will be televised on the ACC Network.
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Salt Named to New Zealand FIBA World Cup Qualifier Team
M. Basketball | 6/23/2018
Virginia's Jack Salt has been named to the New Zealand National Team for a pair of FIBA World Cup...
Hall Selected by OKC in Second Round of 2018 NBA Draft
M. Basketball | 6/21/2018
Former Virginia guard Devon Hall was selected by the Oklahoma City Thunder in the second round of...
Jeff White: Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost Time
M. Basketball | 6/19/2018
A 7-1 forward who's coming shoulder surgery., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's...
Jeff White: Hall Working to Raise NBA Stock
M. Basketball | 6/12/2018
By the time the NBA draft arrives June 21, former UVA guard Devon Hall will have worked out for...
Virginia to Play at Maryland in 2018 ACC/B1G Challenge
M. Basketball | 6/1/2018
Virginia will play at former ACC rival Maryland in the 20th ACC-B1G Challenge on Wednesday, Nov. 28.
UVA Men’s Basketball Adds Caffaro and Key
M. Basketball | 5/18/2018
Virginia men's head basketball coach Tony Bennett announced May 18 the additions of center...
Jeff White: Vandross Eager to Contribute in New Role
M. Basketball | 05/02/2018
Ron Sanchez's departure created a vacancy on the UVA staff that Tony Bennett filled by promoting ...
UVA Sweeps Top VaSID Honors
M. Basketball | 04/20/2018
Tony Bennett (coach), Kyle Guy (player) and De'Andre Hunter (rookie) earned top VaSID University...
- Online Stores