|No. 8 Virginia at UNCG
|Date & Time
||Friday, Nov. 11 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Greensboro Coliseum | Greensboro, N.C.|
|Coverage||ESPN3 | Cavaliers Live | Gametracker|
|Additional Info||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Game Notes|
Nov. 10, 2016
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - No. 8 Virginia travels to UNCG for its season opener on Friday (Nov. 11). Tipoff at the Greensboro Coliseum is scheduled for 7 p.m.
• UVA begins its 112th season of men’s basketball, sporting a 1,533-1,151 (.571) all-time record.
• UVA is 17-1 in its last 18 season-opening games, including an 86-48 home win over Morgan State last season.
• Virginia is 6-1 in season openers under head coach Tony Bennett with the lone loss at George Mason (63-59) to begin the 2012-13 campaign.
• The Cavaliers are 89-22 all-time in 111 season-opening games.
• UVA meets UNC Greensboro for the first time and plays its first game against a Southern Conference opponent since posting a 74-39 win over Wofford on Dec. 30, 2012.
• Cavalier forwards Austin Nichols (violation of team rules) and Mamadi Diakite (amateurism review) will not play against UNCG.
• The Virginia-UNCG game will be streamed online at ESPN3.com and broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Athletics mobile app on iTunes or Android.
• Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and the Virginia Sports app.
The Head Coaches
Virginia: Tony Bennett (Green Bay, 1992), 165-72 in seven seasons at UVA and 234-105 in nine seasons overall.
UNCG: Wes Miller (North Carolina, 2007), 60-92 in five seasons at UNCG.
UVA Ranked No. 8/7 in Preseason Rankings
• UVA is ranked No. 8 in the Associated Press and No. 7 in the USA Today Coaches’ preseason polls.
• The Cavaliers have been ranked in top 10 in the preseason rankings for the third straight season, matching a school-best from 1981-83.
• UVA has been ranked in the top 10 in 38 of the last 42 AP polls.
• UVA has been ranked in the top 10 in eight consecutive AP polls and nine consecutive coaches’ polls entering 2016-17.
• UVA has finished in the top 10 (No. 3 in 2014 & No. 6 in 2015 and No. 4) in the final AP rankings in three consecutive seasons for the first time since 1981-83. All-Time vs. Southern Conference Opponents
• Virginia is 110-15 all-time vs. the Southern Conference (101-15 vs. VMI, 3-0 vs. East Tennessee State, 2-0 vs. Citadel, 2-0 vs. Wofford, 1-0 vs. Furman, 1-0 vs. Samford).
• Tony Bennett is 2-0 all-time vs. SoCon opponents as a head coach (1-0 vs. Wofford at UVA, 1-0 vs. Citadel at Washington State).
About The 2016-17 Schedule
• Six of Virginia’s opponents are ranked in the top 20 of the AP preseason poll (Duke, Villanova, North Carolina, Louisville, Syracuse and West Virginia) while seven (Florida State, California, Miami, NC State, Ohio State, Virginia Tech and Notre Dame) received votes.
• The Cavaliers will play 13 games against 2016 NCAA Tournament teams: home games against Duke, North Carolina, West Virginia, Miami, Pitt and Yale; road contests at Villanova, North Carolina, Syracuse, California, Pitt and Notre Dame; and a neutral-site tilt against Iowa in the Emerald Coast Classic in Niceville, Fla.
• Four opponents (Florida State, Georgia Tech, Ohio State and Virginia Tech) participated in the 2016 National Invitation Tournament.
Virginia Picked 3rd in The ACC
• Virginia was picked to finish third in the ACC preseason poll.
• The Cavaliers, who were picked second and finished tied for second last season, have finished at or higher than their predicted finish in each of the last eight seasons.
• Duke is the preseason favorite, followed by North Carolina, Virginia, Louisville, Syracuse, NC State, Notre Dame, Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Pitt, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech and Boston College.
On The Horizon
• Virginia hosts St. Francis Brooklyn in non-conference action on Tuesday, Nov. 15. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 7 p.m.
NCAA Quest Begins for Iceland NativeTrack & Field, Cross Country5/24/18A three-time ACC champion in the hammer throw, Virginia junior Hilmar Jonsson competes Thursday at the NCAA East Preliminary meet in Tampa, Fla.Lynch Shines Again in His Season FinaleBaseball5/23/18In what was probably his final appearance for UVA, junior left-hander Daniel Lynch struck out seven Tuesday against Florida State in the ACC tournament.UVA Pioneer Ready for Next ChapterFootball5/21/18Kent Merritt, who's retiring next month from his position in the history department, was among the first African-American football players at Virginia.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
UVA Men’s Basketball Adds Caffaro and Key
M. Basketball | 5/18/2018
Virginia men's head basketball coach Tony Bennett announced May 18 the additions of center...
Jeff White: Vandross Eager to Contribute in New Role
M. Basketball | 5/2/2018
Ron Sanchez's departure created a vacancy on the UVA staff that Tony Bennett filled by promoting ...
UVA Sweeps Top VaSID Honors
M. Basketball | 4/20/2018
Tony Bennett (coach), Kyle Guy (player) and De'Andre Hunter (rookie) earned top VaSID University...
Bennett Promotes Williford and Vandross
M. Basketball | 4/17/2018
Jason Williford has been promoted to associate head coach and Orlando Vandross has been elevated ...
ACC Opponents Announced for 2018-19
M. Basketball | 4/10/2018
The ACC announced Tuesday (April 10) the men's basketball league opponents for all 15...
Bennett Adds Another Coach of the Year Award
M. Basketball | 4/1/2018
Virginia’s Tony Bennett was named the 2018 NABC Division I Coach of the Year, announced...
Bennett Earns Naismith Coach of the Year Award
M. Basketball | 04/01/2018
Virginia's Tony Bennett was named the 2018 Werner Ladder Naismith Men's College Coach of the Year...
Bennett Named AP Coach of the Year
M. Basketball | 03/29/2018
Virginia's Tony Bennett was named the Associated Press (AP) Men's College Basketball Coach of the...
- Online Stores