|Yale at No. 8 Virginia
|Date & Time
||Sunday, Nov. 20 | 1 p.m.|
|Location||John Paul Jones Arena | Charlottesville, Va.|
|Coverage||ACC Network Extra | Cavaliers Live | Gametracker|
|Additional Info||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Game Notes|
Nov. 19, 2016
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - No. 8 Virginia (2-0) hosts Yale (2-0) in men's basketball non-conference action on Sunday (Nov. 20). Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 1 p.m.
• UVA meets Yale for the first time since posting a 72-62 win against the Bulldogs on Dec. 23, 1975.
• The Cavaliers own the nation's sixth-longest current NCAA Division I home-winning streak at 21 games.
• UVA's streak of 171 games with at least one 3-pointer ended in the 72-32 win over St. Francis Brooklyn.
• The Cavaliers have held their opponents scoreless for 10 or more minutes in each of their first two games.
• UVA dismissed redshirt junior Austin Nichols from the team on Nov. 18.
• The Virginia-Yale game will streamed online on ACC Network Extra and WatchESPN.com and broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Athletics mobile app on iTunes or Android.
• Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and the Virginia Sports app.
The Head Coaches
Virginia: Tony Bennett (Green Bay, 1992), 167-72 in eight seasons at UVA and 236-105 in 10 seasons overall.
Yale: James Jones (Albany, 1986), 239-238 in 18 seasons at Yale.
UVA Ranked No. 8/7 in Latest Rankings
• UVA is ranked No. 8 in the latest Associated Press and No. 7 in the USA Today Coaches' polls for the second straight week.
• The Cavaliers were ranked in top 10 in the preseason rankings (No. 8/7) for the third straight season, matching a school-best from 1981-83.
• UVA has been ranked in the top 10 in 39 of the last 43 AP polls.
• UVA has been ranked in the top 10 in nine consecutive AP polls and 10 consecutive coaches' polls dating back to last season.
• UVA has finished in the top 10 (No. 3 in 2014 & No. 6 in 2015 and No. 4 in 2016) in the final AP rankings in three consecutive seasons for the first time since 1981-83.
Last Time Out
• No. 8/7 Virginia defeated St. Francis Brooklyn 72-32 in non-conference action on Nov. 15 at John Paul Jones Arena.
• UVA held the Terriers to 22.9 percent shooting (11-of-48), sixth lowest for an opponent in school history.
• The 32 points allowed marked the fourth lowest for an opponent in the shot clock era.
• UVA held the Terriers scoreless for a span of more than 10 minutes in the first half and scored 20 consecutive points in that stretch.
• UVA went 0-for-10 from 3-point range and was held without a 3-pointer for the first time since Nov. 21, 2011, against Drake.
All-Time vs. Yale
• UVA is 2-1 all-time against Yale in the series that dates back to the 1959-60 season.
• The Cavaliers are 1-0 against the Bulldogs in Charlottesville, posting an 81-76 win in the inaugural meeting on Jan. 2, 1960.
• Virginia is 1-1 against Yale on neutral courts (79-72 loss on Dec. 18, 1967 in Blacksburg, Va., and 72-62 win on Dec. 23, 1975 in Columbia, S.C.).
All-Time Against The Ivy League
• Virginia is 19-8 all-time against Ivy League members (8-5 vs. Penn, 3-0 vs. Brown, 3-0 vs. Dartmouth, 2-0 vs. Columbia, 2-1 vs. Yale, 1-0 vs. Harvard and 0-2 vs. Princeton).
• The Cavaliers are meeting an Ivy League opponent for the first time since Dec. 21, 2014, when they defeated Harvard 76-27 at JPJ.
There's No Place Like Home
• Virginia is 139-36 (.794) in 11 seasons at John Paul Jones Arena.
• The Cavaliers finished undefeated at home (15-0) in 2015-16 for the first time since 1981-82 (12-0).
• UVA owns the nation's sixth longest current home-winning streak at 21 games.
• UVA is 101-20 (.835), including a 66-5 (.930) mark the past five seasons, at home under head coach Tony Bennett.
• Virginia is 35-1 in ACC home games over the past four seasons.
• UVA has won 11 or more home games for seven straight seasons.
• UVA's has a pair of 21-game home-winning streaks (Dec. 21, 2013-Jan. 22, 2015 and Feb. 7, 2015-current) at JPJ.
On The Horizon
• Virginia hosts Grambling State in non-conference action on Tuesday, Nov. 22. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 7 p.m.
Nicholson Shines On and Off Water at UVAWomen's Rowing5/25/17Allie Nicholson, who had never rowed before arriving at UVA in 2013, is now a key member of one of the nation's top programs.'Hoos Eager to Make More HistoryMen's Tennis5/22/17A win over No. 9 seed North Carolina on Tuesday afternoon would give second-seeded Virginia its third straight NCAA men's tennis title.McKee Thriving in New SurroundingsTrack & Field, Cross Country5/22/17A transfer from Kansas, Kelly McKee will compete in the triple jump this week at the NCAA East Regional meet in Lexington, Kentucky.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Cavalier Men's Basketball Notebook
M. Basketball | 5/16/2017
The Cavaliers are heading into their ninth season under head coach Tony Bennett, who has led them...
UVA Men’s Basketball Signs Badocchi to NLI
M. Basketball | 5/11/2017
The Virginia men's basketball program signed forward Francesco Badocchi (Milan, Italy) to a...
Huff to Tour Czech Republic and Poland with AIA
M. Basketball | 5/4/2017
Virginia redshirt freshman Jay Huff (Durham, N.C.) will embark on a 13-day competitive basketball...
Perrantes Named VaSID All-State First Team
M. Basketball | 4/20/2017
Virginia’s London Perrantes (Los Angeles) was honored by the Virginia Sports Information...
Perrantes To Compete in Reese's College All-Star Game
M. Basketball | 3/28/2017
London Perrantes has been selected by the NABC to play in the 2017 Reese's Division I College All...
Thompson Departing Virginia Men's Basketball Program
M. Basketball | 3/23/2017
Virginia men's basketball head coach Tony Bennett announced March 23 that redshirt junior guard...
Shayok and Reuter Leaving UVA Men's Basketball Program
M. Basketball | 03/22/2017
Virginia men's basketball head coach Tony Bennett announced Wednesday (March 22) that junior...
Perrantes Named to NABC All-District 2 Second Team
M. Basketball | 03/22/2017
Virginia senior point guard London Perrantes was named to the NABC All-District 2 second team,...
- Online Stores