|Grambling State at No. 7 Virginia
|Date & Time
||Tuesday, Nov. 22 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||John Paul Jones Arena | Charlottesville, Va.|
|Coverage||Regional Sports Network | Cavaliers Live | ACC Network Extra | Gametracker|
|Additional Info||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Game Notes|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - No. 7 Virginia (3-0) continues men's basketball non-conference action against Grambling State (1-2) on Tuesday (Nov. 22). Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 7 p.m.
• UVA meets Grambling State for the first time since posting a 112-67 win against the Tigers on Dec. 30, 2001.
• The Cavaliers own the nation's sixth-longest current NCAA Division I home-winning streak at 22 games.
• UVA ranks first in the nation in scoring defense at 40.3 points per game.
• The Virginia-Grambling State game will be television on the Regional Sports Network, streamed online on ACC Network Extra and broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Athletics mobile app on iTunes or Android.
• Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and the Virginia Sports app.
The Head Coaches
Virginia: Tony Bennett (Green Bay, 1992), 168-72 in eight seasons at UVA and 237-105 in 11 seasons overall.
Grambling State: Shawn Walker (Elizabeth City State, 1994), 9-53 in three seasons at Grambling State and 205-225 in 16 seasons overall.
Hoo Are These Cavaliers?
• Virginia is led by senior point guard London Perrantes, who is a Wooden and Naismith Player of the Year and ACC Player of the Year candidate.
• Perrantes is averaging 8.7 points, 4.3 assists and 2.3 rebounds.
• Marial Shayok leads UVA in scoring at 12.7 points per game on 53.6 percent shooting off the bench. • Newcomer Kyle Guy is averaging 8.0 points on 61.5 percent shooting, while Isaiah Wilkins leads UVA in rebounding at 7.0 per game.
• Darius Thompson is averaging 9.0 points and Mamadi Diakite is averaging 6.5 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocked shots, respectively.
UVA Ranked No. 7/6 in Latest Polls
• UVA is ranked No. 7 in the latest Associated Press and No. 6 in the USA Today Coaches' polls.
• UVA has been ranked in the top 10 in 10 consecutive AP polls and 11 consecutive coaches' polls dating back to last season.
• The Cavaliers were ranked in top 10 in the preseason rankings (No. 8/7) for the third straight season, matching a school-best from 1981-83. • UVA has been ranked in the top 10 in 40 of the last 44 AP polls.
• UVA has finished in the top 10 (No. 3 in 2014 & No. 6 in 2015 and No. 4 in 2016) in the final AP rankings in three consecutive seasons for the first time since 1981-83.
Last Time Out
• Virginia defeated Yale 62-38 in non-conference action on Sunday, Nov. 20 at John Paul Jones Arena. • UVA held the Bulldogs to 33.3 percent shooting and held its 16th opponent to fewer than 40 points under head coach Tony Bennett.
• Marial Shayok led UVA with 15 points, while Kyle Guy added 12 and Darius Thompson had 11.
• UVA had a 25-5 run over the final 15:01 minutes in the second half, including a 16-0 over 8:06.
• The Cavaliers held Yale scoreless for 8:48 in the second half
• Isaiah Wilkins tied a career high with nine rebounds and Mamadi Diakite blocked a career-best four shots.
• London Perrantes had a season-high seven assists.
All-Time vs. Grambling State
• UVA is 1-0 all-time against Grambling State in the series that dates back to the 2001-02 season.
• Travis Watson led six UVA players in double figures with 17 points as Virginia beat Grambling State 112-67 on Dec. 30, 2001.
• Roger Mason Jr. and Chris Williams each tallied 15 points and Elton Brown added 14 points in the 45-point win.
• Nick Hall led Grambling State with 19 points.
All-Time Against The SWAC
• Virginia is 2-0 all-time against current Southwestern Athletic Conference members (1-0 vs. Grambling State and 1-0 vs. Mississippi Valley State).
• The Cavaliers are meeting a SWAC opponent for the first time since Dec. 8, 2012, when they defeated Mississippi Valley State 67-39 at JPJ.
There's No Place Like Home
• Virginia is 140-36 (.795) in 11 seasons at John Paul Jones Arena.
• UVA owns the nation's sixth longest current home-winning streak at 22 games.
• The 22-game home-winning streak is also a JPJ record.
• The Cavaliers finished undefeated at home (15-0) in 2015-16 for the first time since 1981-82 (12-0).
• UVA is 102-20 (.836), including a 67-5 (.931) mark the past five seasons, at home under head coach Tony Bennett.
• Virginia is 35-1 in ACC home games over the past four seasons.
• UVA has won 11 or more home games for seven straight seasons.
On The Horizon
• Virginia plays Iowa in the Emerald Coast Classic in Niceville, Fla., on Friday, Nov. 25. Tipoff at The Arena is set for 7 p.m. The game will be televised on CBS Sports Network.
'Hoos Looking to Make More HistoryMen's Tennis5/22/17A win over No. 9 seed North Carolina on Tuesday afternoon would give second-seeded Virginia its third straight NCAA men's tennis title.McKee Thriving in New SurroundingsTrack & Field, Cross Country5/22/17A transfer from Kansas, Kelly McKee will compete in the triple jump this week at the NCAA East Regional meet in Lexington, Kentucky.Cavalier Men's Basketball NotebookMen's Basketball5/16/17The Cavaliers are heading into their ninth season under head coach Tony Bennett, who has led them to four straight NCAA tournaments.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Cavalier Men's Basketball Notebook
M. Basketball | 5/16/2017
The Cavaliers are heading into their ninth season under head coach Tony Bennett, who has led them...
UVA Men’s Basketball Signs Badocchi to NLI
M. Basketball | 5/11/2017
The Virginia men's basketball program signed forward Francesco Badocchi (Milan, Italy) to a...
Huff to Tour Czech Republic and Poland with AIA
M. Basketball | 5/4/2017
Virginia redshirt freshman Jay Huff (Durham, N.C.) will embark on a 13-day competitive basketball...
Perrantes Named VaSID All-State First Team
M. Basketball | 4/20/2017
Virginia’s London Perrantes (Los Angeles) was honored by the Virginia Sports Information...
Perrantes To Compete in Reese's College All-Star Game
M. Basketball | 3/28/2017
London Perrantes has been selected by the NABC to play in the 2017 Reese's Division I College All...
Thompson Departing Virginia Men's Basketball Program
M. Basketball | 3/23/2017
Virginia men's basketball head coach Tony Bennett announced March 23 that redshirt junior guard...
Shayok and Reuter Leaving UVA Men's Basketball Program
M. Basketball | 03/22/2017
Virginia men's basketball head coach Tony Bennett announced Wednesday (March 22) that junior...
Perrantes Named to NABC All-District 2 Second Team
M. Basketball | 03/22/2017
Virginia senior point guard London Perrantes was named to the NABC All-District 2 second team,...
- Online Stores